Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

GreenNight posted:

Because it's easier to do pointless things when you're getting loving paid to do them.

In all honestly, he's correct and I should be slapped for dropping out twice. My Academic record is a horror show.

And I even want to go back :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I went back and finished a general
Studies degree. The Tupac class, rap entrepreneurship, and children's literature were really the highlights for me. I also took a life after college class that was borderline bad with money thread worthy. This has had no effect on my career but my job paid for it so gently caress it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Virigoth posted:

I went back and finished a general
Studies degree. The Tupac class, rap entrepreneurship, and children's literature were really the highlights for me. I also took a life after college class that was borderline bad with money thread worthy. This has had no effect on my career but my job paid for it so gently caress it.

What the gently caress kind of school did you go to

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Virigoth posted:

I also took a life after college class that was borderline bad with money thread worthy. This has had no effect on my career but my job paid for it so gently caress it.

Why did your job pay you to kill someone who was bad with money?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

CLAM DOWN posted:

Big Ten state university. Holla if ya hear me!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Virigoth posted:

Big Ten state university. Holla if ya hear me!

I don't even know what that means.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

CLAM DOWN posted:

State schools in America have 75% pointless mandatory classes in every major.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

State schools in America have 75% pointless mandatory classes in every major.

What's the difference between a state school and a...non-state school?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
About ten thousand dollars per quarter

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

What's the difference between a state school and a...non-state school?

A state school is funded in whole or in part by the state (Amount of funding dependent upon which school and which state). State schools are generally pretty good, but they tend to have a lot of gently caress-off classes. This generally results in cheaper state resident tuition, also.

A private school is generally entirely privately funded, but some states have exceptions. The big and old ones usually have an endowment they manage (Harvard, Yale, etc), but are still happy to charge an arm and a leg. The smaller ones are generally funded entirely through tuition. They still have gently caress-off classes, but the non-Ivy ones tend to be focused on this or that branch of schooling, which eliminates a lot of the gently caress-offery that you can get into. One, for instance, will teach nothing but Business and Accounting while another will focus on Engineering.

If you just want a degree to have a degree, state schools (especially schools like tech or community colleges) are best. If you want a degree to learn, you either have to be very selective about your state school or should probably go to a private school despite the premium.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thank you for the info! That's extremely different than here, good to get some perspective.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

You can learn tons at state schools and piss away your time at Yale. Education is what you make of it.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Yeah but you certainly start from a higher baseline at a school such as Yale - you have to really want it to gently caress around there compared to an Arizona State.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yeah but you certainly start from a higher baseline at a school such as Yale - you have to really want it to gently caress around there compared to an Arizona State.
That might have more to do with opportunity and peers than a 'baseline'

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Hey, Arizona State has some top notch departments these days!

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

JewKiller 3000 posted:

This attitude is why employers require college degrees for jobs that don't really need them. You're probably smart enough to do those jobs already, but if you can't trudge through a few years of a program dedicated to your personal success without going "gently caress it", then how the hell are you going to handle working a job where morons tell you to do pointless things?

See, if 75% of a degree wasn't "do some random poo poo to get well-rounded and so we can flesh this out to be 4 years" I would have less of an issue. But god drat if I can put up with the bullshit humanities they try to get you to take seriously. I'm not a loving philosophy or english major, I kan rite gud, let me take my technical classes and GTFO with a diploma once I've taken the poo poo that ACTUALLY MATTERS.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

FireSight posted:

See, if 75% of a degree wasn't "do some random poo poo to get well-rounded and so we can flesh this out to be 4 years" I would have less of an issue. But god drat if I can put up with the bullshit humanities they try to get you to take seriously. I'm not a loving philosophy or english major, I kan rite gud, let me take my technical classes and GTFO with a diploma once I've taken the poo poo that ACTUALLY MATTERS.

But on the other hand, college loving owns. Except for the debt I guess.. full ride or bust!!

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
If you think humanities departments are full of bullshit, wait until you see what human resources puts out.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

FireSight posted:

You would have to be incredibly sheltered to believe that neither you nor your peers have anything to gain from humanities classes.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

anthonypants posted:

incredibly sheltered

You know you're in the goon IT thread, right?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

anthonypants posted:

You would have to be incredibly sheltered to believe that neither you nor your peers have anything to gain from humanities classes.

Being ABLE to take a few when you need something to fill your schedule isn't bad. But I'd rather have them things I can pick up and drop as needed without it affecting my ability to complete my technology based degree. Having them weigh similarly to core classes for my degree just boggles my mind.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Those classes are there for your benefit - it's probably not a great sign if you can't see why. Apart from making you well rounded academically, the point of college isn't only to see how you do in a subject which excites you. It's also to see how you do when of the 5 classes you're taking this semester, 3 barely interest you. Can you still balance your workload and get good grades, and even better, learn something?

I can't relate to someone who steps outside of their comfort area and is immediately like, yep back to my bubble. I work in IT and my degree is in history, so what's as far as I can get from either of them. Maybe a theater major? Sign me up for a theater class right now, that would be an awesome experience.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

a cop posted:

You can learn tons at state schools and piss away your time at Yale. Education is what you make of it.

In a fairness, I'd wager the second year retention rate and four year completion rate is much higher at Ivies than it is at most state schools.

e: If there's one thing pretty much every IT worker needs, it's writing skills. Like, to the point where English courses are probably about as important, if not more important, than your MIS classes on cohesively synergizing productivity paradigms.

psydude fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Aug 2, 2016

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

psydude posted:

e: If there's one thing pretty much every IT worker needs, it's writing skills.
Speaking of, I have spent the last 3 hours trying to craft an email and have just given up on it completely. I just can't get the message out without either sounding like I am a) ungrateful and hate my job, or b) so keen to avoid A that I just ramble for days.

Having a discussion with my director and another manager on roles and responsibilities and a lifetime of learning has failed me on the subject. I'm going to call it a night and just send an email in the morning along the lines of "Me do more. Me delegate. Project lead time longer. Team stronger when collaborating. Emotional investment good. Me like project."

Griffith86
Jun 19, 2008

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Having a discussion with my director and another manager on roles and responsibilities and a lifetime of learning has failed me on the subject. I'm going to call it a night and just send an email in the morning along the lines of "Me do more. Me delegate. Project lead time longer. Team stronger when collaborating. Emotional investment good. Me like project."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQhQnyhzC6Q

Made me think of this, lol.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Those classes are there for your benefit - it's probably not a great sign if you can't see why. Apart from making you well rounded academically, the point of college isn't only to see how you do in a subject which excites you. It's also to see how you do when of the 5 classes you're taking this semester, 3 barely interest you. Can you still balance your workload and get good grades, and even better, learn something?

I can't relate to someone who steps outside of their comfort area and is immediately like, yep back to my bubble. I work in IT and my degree is in history, so what's as far as I can get from either of them. Maybe a theater major? Sign me up for a theater class right now, that would be an awesome experience.

I can see what people mean by the "well rounded" aspect of education - but the problem is that it doesn't last. I saw a study about a decade ago showing that education that wasn't in-tune with an area of active work weren't retained more than an average of 3 years after leaving the educational environment (either school or on-the-job learning). Classes that are peripheral to what you work in faded after roughly 5. You remember "I read Proust in that there Humanities course!" but not using that information makes it fade. And, after your brain drops it into the dust bin of memory, that 12 credit hours you spent learning about Proust doesn't enter into your behavior. This is only kept fresh by those that create a hobby out of the education that isn't in-tune with their work (such as loving and constantly reading the works by Proust).

This is also why if you leave the workforce for 5 years, people don't want to hire you back into a job you worked for 15 before that 5 year break. They are basically taking you in and retraining you.

Even that game show "Are you smarter than a 5th grader?" rides on the fact that you forget all of the fine details of everything you learned in Elementary school by the time you're an adult.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
just be like me and half-rear end it at 4 community colleges before getting your poo poo together, then transfer to a university and finish your last 2 years with a high GPA. Never put community college on a resume

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

ZetsurinPower posted:

Never put community college on a resume

yeah brilliant I'll just withhold that I've earned an associates degree because I got it at a low-down dirty dumb-dumb community college

If you went to a community college and then dropped out, sure don't put that on your resume, but if you walked away with a degree and it's the highest level degree you've earned why the gently caress wouldn't you advertise that?

Plenty of job postings will require a minimum of an associates degree. Where do you think these are earned outside of a community college?

There's also a lot to be said about the ability to learn something new. Reading Proust in college won't net any benefit to your career, but the ability to read something like Proust, digest it, form critical thoughts about it, and present new ideas from it is absolutely critical to any job. Who cares if you retain Proust a year after the class is over, what you've proven is that you've formed the skillset to learn things.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Judge Schnoopy posted:

There's also a lot to be said about the ability to learn something new. Reading Proust in college won't net any benefit to your career, but the ability to read something like Proust, digest it, form critical thoughts about it, and present new ideas from it is absolutely critical to any job. Who cares if you retain Proust a year after the class is over, what you've proven is that you've formed the skillset to learn things.

College graduation doesn't prove any of that. I would honestly even be surprised if there's a correlation. I have found so many people who have a degree but can't connect two concepts together to save their lives that I think I missed out on the partying for study time when I didn't have to.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

ZetsurinPower posted:

just be like me and half-rear end it at 4 community colleges before getting your poo poo together, then transfer to a university and finish your last 2 years with a high GPA. Never put community college on a resume

The company I used to consult at would accept a community college associates as the bare minimum for FTE roles, they literally will not hire anyone without at least ANY kind of associates

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
Sry I meant "I" never put community college on a resume... I figure my 1 university looks better than 4 CCs, also I never got an associates. Anyway after 5 yrs experience nobody gives a poo poo either way

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Man I am so happy to be leaving this place in less than two weeks. You may remember that I was bitching about having to poorly implement sharepoint until I was able to stall long enough to leave. And complaining that my boss would no longer let me come in 10 minutes early and leave 10 minutes early so that I didnt have to wait 20 minutes for the bus at the end of the day.

Welp! Bye bitches!

The new place is under 7 miles to my apartment so I can ride my bike, it'll only end up being about a $1500 a year pay cut but I get an extra week of vacation time and work from home days. My commute goes from an hour to a bike ride or 10 minute drive. My current employer is saying that they'll match the pay and vacation but it just isnt worth it. They've had a couple of IT people leave lately and they're sweating it now. My poor boss (IT director) has gotten stuck doing helpdesk work and is freaking out. Snapping at people left and right, which is one of the reasons I wanted to leave. He cant handle stress at all. Just snaps and shuts down, like literally clearing his desk in a rage. Just this morning he asked me how you join a computer to the domain. Good luck pal.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Being forced outside of your narrow bubble of interests in college is good. Maybe none of it sticks and you forget everything you learned about American history, or sociology, or literature, but the exposure at least has a chance of sparking an interest beyond the narrow confines of the specific field you're there to study, and that interest may last a lifetime.

There's also the fact that basically nobody at 18 knows what the gently caress they want to do and having to engage with a broad range of topics helps you figure out what you like and don't like, rather than blazing through two years of very job focusing studies and then realizing you hate the field you picked.

Humanities and social science majors tend to make better coworkers too, in my anecdotal experience.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Hey I have a BA am I allowed to get all pissy that they made me take math classes in college? Because gently caress that.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

NippleFloss posted:

Being forced outside of your narrow bubble of interests in college is good. Maybe none of it sticks and you forget everything you learned about American history, or sociology, or literature, but the exposure at least has a chance of sparking an interest beyond the narrow confines of the specific field you're there to study, and that interest may last a lifetime.

There's also the fact that basically nobody at 18 knows what the gently caress they want to do and having to engage with a broad range of topics helps you figure out what you like and don't like, rather than blazing through two years of very job focusing studies and then realizing you hate the field you picked.

Humanities and social science majors tend to make better coworkers too, in my anecdotal experience.

You don't know what you want to be at 18, but college doesn't help you figure that out. Life experience does. I can see college helping you find hobbies, but that's kind of an extremely expensive way to find out you like Nietzsche.

As to your favored coworker degree fields, I suspect there is a cause and effect confusion in play. An rear end in a top hat by nature isn't going to spend his time learning that stuff, even if he's made to take it. He'll do what he needs for the C and move on to what interests him. If you are of the mind set that will listen, then you'll listen regardless of taking humanities. You have to have the interest first to effectively absorb it.

"Having an interest" is the same reason why I can quote arcane lore about the TES series years after I played the last installment, yet can't remember what ISA stands for. I can still stuff male into female in the very few instances I come across it, but everything but the initialism is gone because I have no interest in late 80s technology. :v:

ETA:

Inspector_666 posted:

Hey I have a BA am I allowed to get all pissy that they made me take math classes in college? Because gently caress that.

Depends on what your degree is in and what math they made you take. Did you get a degree in Psychology and have to take a discrete mathematics class?

Arsten fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 2, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Arsten posted:

College graduation doesn't prove any of that. I would honestly even be surprised if there's a correlation. I have found so many people who have a degree but can't connect two concepts together to save their lives that I think I missed out on the partying for study time when I didn't have to.

Your anecdotes don't disprove things. A university education absolutely helps with those things.

Also it's continually throwing me off that you guys call it college. "College" here is usually a 2 year university transfer program for those who couldn't get into university or for those who want to do a faster less academic program (like a 2 year criminology program is common here). University is the term that applies to our 4 year public institutions for a bachelors, masters, or PhD.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

CLAM DOWN posted:

Your anecdotes don't disprove things. A university education absolutely helps with those things.

Also it's continually throwing me off that you guys call it college. "College" here is usually a 2 year university transfer program for those who couldn't get into university or for those who want to do a faster less academic program (like a 2 year criminology program is common here). University is the term that applies to our 4 year public institutions for a bachelors, masters, or PhD.

To further confuse things, Universities here in the US commonly have "colleges" for a specific subgroup of majors. A business college, a college of law, and a music college may all belong to a single university.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Arsten posted:

ETA:

Depends on what your degree is in and what math they made you take. Did you get a degree in Psychology and have to take a discrete mathematics class?

History, and I got around it by taking a class that I think was literally called "Math for Humanities" and then a comp sci class that I got a D in. I did try taking Calc before that and lol.

However, can I ask how you got around the humanities requirements for your STEM degree? I think it's funny that engineers always poo poo on having to take humanities classes but as soon as one of us dumb humanities kids says math is stupid it's suddenly "WHOA NOW WAIT A MINUTE!"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

To further confuse things, Universities here in the US commonly have "colleges" for a specific subgroup of majors. A business college, a college of law, and a music college may all belong to a single university.

Wait, so you can have a college which we call university, and you can have a college within a university? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Inspector_666 posted:

Conversely, I have a bachelor's of science that required zero math classes. Technically it required one math class, but you could take that OR a philosophy class to meet the requirements. Yeah.