Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Law Cheetah posted:

dio was originally supposed to have ALL THE STAND POWERS or something but then araki changed his mind about it, but not before he showed dio using hermit purple that one time

the other hermit purple was johnathan's stand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ruggington posted:

the other hermit purple was johnathan's stand

That's what it was retconned to, yes.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
The traitor is Aizen

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?
Can the traitor be a teacher though? They all knew about the Rescue Op/Nomu factory attack, which took the VA completely by surprise.

RatHat posted:

That's what it was retconned to, yes.

Huh, recently watched Stardust Crusaders and my takeaway was that ZA WARLDO's deal was copying the stands of the Joestar family.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

JD posted:

Uraraka is cuter

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
the thing i hope most fervently comes of all this is that Horikoshi takes note of these dumb theories and drops even more misleading not-in-the-actual-comic hints like the dual face towards Kaminari for people to go apeshit about, and then the real traitor will be an actual surprise

(to no one but the internet crazies)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HenryEx posted:

the thing i hope most fervently comes of all this is that Horikoshi takes note of these dumb theories and drops even more misleading not-in-the-actual-comic hints like the dual face towards Kaminari for people to go apeshit about, and then the real traitor will be an actual surprise

(to no one but the internet crazies)

Nah, attack on titan did it really well and that had tons of hints, busting out surprises with no hints sucks

Like even then someone called the reveal in aot two years before it happened and connected all the dots and it was still a good reveal, so 4chans hivemind having a theory like this and it coming true wouldn't be terrible

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Jirou is the spy. She can hear everything.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cryophage posted:

Can the traitor be a teacher though? They all knew about the Rescue Op/Nomu factory attack, which took the VA completely by surprise.

Huh, recently watched Stardust Crusaders and my takeaway was that ZA WARLDO's deal was copying the stands of the Joestar family.

It seems like that might have been the intention at one point since The World and Star Platinum are so similar, but when he uses the Hermit Purple-like stand early on he doesn't actually have The World yet.

Captain Invictus posted:

Nah, attack on titan did it really well and that had tons of hints, busting out surprises with no hints sucks

Like even then someone called the reveal in aot two years before it happened and connected all the dots and it was still a good reveal, so 4chans hivemind having a theory like this and it coming true wouldn't be terrible

The attack on titan one is really well done, re-reading it afterward you can see it all tie together.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

There's also the possibility that the traitor has their own agenda and chooses what info to leak to the VA.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The only author I know that took note of fan theories to try and surprise even the most obsessive members of the audience was Andrew Hussie of Homestuck fame and it, uh, let's say it didn't go very well.

Conspiracy theories being right is fine. The way the twists happen is a lot more important than the twists themselves.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

GimmickMan posted:

The only author I know that took note of fan theories to try and surprise even the most obsessive members of the audience was Andrew Hussie of Homestuck fame and it, uh, let's say it didn't go very well.

Conspiracy theories being right is fine. The way the twists happen is a lot more important than the twists themselves.

Homestuck was an masterpiece and its game adaptation was a resounding international success.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

GimmickMan posted:

Also foreshadowing is a cool and good thing for a writer to do properly. A good twist/reveal being figured out/spoiled doesn't ruin a story, it just lets you see how the writer is setting thing sup and leaving little clues here and there.

If knowing a twist renders a whole story boring/pointless then the story was kind of leaning on a twist instead of writing a decent narrative.

bondster
May 6, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also foreshadowing is a cool and good thing for a writer to do properly. A good twist/reveal being figured out/spoiled doesn't ruin a story, it just lets you see how the writer is setting thing sup and leaving little clues here and there.

If knowing a twist renders a whole story boring/pointless then the story was kind of leaning on a twist instead of writing a decent narrative.

I think one of the writers of Steven Universe said that a good sign that you did a good job is that you make the audience go "I got it!" rather than "You got me!"

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Mystery writers Knox and Chandler said things along the lines of even if the reader didn't figure out the mystery before the reveal, they could go back and re-read the tale and notice that the clues were there from the start.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Leaving enough foreshadowing to let smart and attentive readers figure out a twist or a mystery ahead of time is the hallmark of good writing. Arbitrarily ignoring your own foreshadowing to change a twist because someone figured it out by being attentive is the sure sign of a bad writer.

Why hello there ghost of Robert Jordan

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yep, it's so dumb when an author very clearly changes stuff at the last minute just because some fans figured "the twist" out.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Yeah if you say something like 'there's a traitor', there's an assumption that you want your readers to ponder who it is. You could avoid doing any foreshadowing if you want, but that's super iffy, the idea of presenting something as a 'traitor' or some other mystery kind of usually comes with an assumption that you can at least make a guess on who or what it is. The same way secret identities are a mystery that people try to make up.

If it turns out it's some random person whose never been seen or heard from before to the point they need like extra chapters or episodes just to explain exactly who this person is, it's not actually any better then someone figuring out who it is and feeling the success and catharsis of being correct.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Leaving enough foreshadowing to let smart and attentive readers figure out a twist or a mystery ahead of time is the hallmark of good writing. Arbitrarily ignoring your own foreshadowing to change a twist because someone figured it out by being attentive is the sure sign of a bad writer.

Why hello there ghost of Robert Jordan

Which particular twist are you referring to?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Which particular twist are you referring to?

Actually it's been so long I forgot, but I think it involved a bunch of inconsistencies with Mazrim Taim, and besides how he was an evil git, there was how he seemed to have knowledge on stuff like Aiel and Aes Sedai that far predated the modern perception of them. So there was a running theory guessed he was one of the ancient evil miniboss squad.

And then Robert Jordan said no he wasn't.

Then he became one anyway.

I'm not going to put that in spoiler tags gently caress wheel of time

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Actually it's been so long I forgot, but I think it involved a bunch of inconsistencies with Mazrim Taim, and besides how he was an evil git, there was how he seemed to have knowledge on stuff like Aiel and Aes Sedai that far predated the modern perception of them. So there was a running theory guessed he was one of the ancient evil miniboss squad.

And then Robert Jordan said no he wasn't.

Then he became one anyway.

I'm not going to put that in spoiler tags gently caress wheel of time
The theory was that Taim was actually Demandred in disguise. He wasn't, and actually got recruited by Demandred to the League of Evil, cuz he was an evil git.

The actual foreshadowing was for "yo, this guy is going to betray the good guys", which he did. Fans convinced themselves that Taimandred was canon and when Robert Jordan went "wait what no" they decided he'd changed it to spite them. They decided that for a couple of fan theories that turned out to be false, actually.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I read Wheel of Time as a kid, and even back then I remember feeling uncomfortable about how Jordan wrote female characters. More so even than George 'rape scene' Martin's stuff which I got to about a year later.

I thankfully wisened up and stopped reading both those series eventually, though I clearly had and still have a fetish for endless :words: which explains why I am reading shounen serialized in JUMP.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

The theory was that Taim was actually Demandred in disguise. He wasn't, and actually got recruited by Demandred to the League of Evil, cuz he was an evil git.

The actual foreshadowing was for "yo, this guy is going to betray the good guys", which he did. Fans convinced themselves that Taimandred was canon and when Robert Jordan went "wait what no" they decided he'd changed it to spite them. They decided that for a couple of fan theories that turned out to be false, actually.

Oh. Well considering how long the series was unnecessarily dragged out, and how uncomfortable it was reading WoT's treatment of female characters, blaming that fan-theory misfire on Jordan being a bad writer who spites his readers turned out to be a pretty easy pill to get people to swallow.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
WoT's treatment of gender as a whole is super hosed. The endings of most of the books in the series are metal as hell though, and were eventually the only things that kept me reading the series until even that dried up.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Dr Subterfuge posted:

WoT's treatment of gender as a whole is super hosed.
Wasn't that part of the point? It was presenting its societies as rather broken when it came to the relationship between men and women.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
this is a really dumb derail. *tugs braid, straightens skirt*

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Paracelsus posted:

Wasn't that part of the point? It was presenting its societies as rather broken when it came to the relationship between men and women.

Kind of? Genders are excruciatingly distinct. And to my recollection those distinctions are inexplicably pretty constant across all the cultures. With things that don't even have to do with the One Power. Like, I don't really remember a lot at this point but one thing that stands out to me is that pretty much invariably, men are punished with pain and women are punished with humiliation. It's not like that's some kind of sin but it's one of the few details that really stand out to me as...odd. And the fact that so much of the conflict is fueled by kind of absurd dramatic irony of people just..absolutely refusing to communicate got really, really old.

Disclaimer: my opinions on WoT are very susceptible to hyperbole since I haven't read the books in at least a decade.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Jordan had his issues but he really did try, and I think he did a much better job of it than his contemporaries, of whom George 'rape scene' Martin is not even the worst. For all the problems WoT had, the books ended up with more female characters than male, and they could occupy nearly any role - matriarch, villain, soldier, an entire tower full of exclusively female wizards. For the time it was released, it was actually fairly progressive.

Mostly though, I find fans that cry "spite!" when their theories turn out to be bogus to be utterly ridiculous.

Incidentally, WoT is getting a TV show. Maybe it'll improve on the sketchy bits?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Now that we had more Mei I crave more Monoma being needlessly antagonistic towards class A.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Nihilarian posted:

Incidentally, WoT is getting a TV show. Maybe it'll improve on the sketchy bits?

I really hope not, if only because they'll probably make everything worse.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

See also: Ending of Mass Effect 3

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
gently caress, see the entire discarded Dark Energy storyline they laid down the groundwork for in ME2!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SwissArmyDruid posted:

gently caress, see the entire discarded Dark Energy storyline they laid down the groundwork for in ME2!

Or nearly everything in ME1 that got more specific than Reapers, Geth, or the Genophage.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

busting out surprises with no hints sucks

Its a good thing i didn't suggest this then, actually i did the opposite

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Is...is this still the MHA thread? I have no loving idea what anyone is talking about.

I was talking to a friend who just finished catching up with the series, and we both lamented that AFO and All-Might didn't get to go all out in their fight because they were both still hosed up from the fight six years ago.

Then I remembered that usually the mentor characters in these types of stories always get nerfed or weakened before they ever get to show their full strength.

I hope we get a flashback to the original fight that left All-Might hosed up, because I'm sure it was amazing.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
All For One must have been terrifying in his prime.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HenryEx posted:

Its a good thing i didn't suggest this then, actually i did the opposite

What will you do if it's actually kaminari???

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Kanos posted:

All For One must have been terrifying in his prime.

The whole "I remember you coming at me with your guts hanging out... I still see it in my dreams sometimes." Quote was pretty chilling honestly.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I'm still dying over the fact that Mineta's super special awesome attack is "Yo, literally some XXXL anal beads". :laffo:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

What will you do if it's actually kaminari???
Uh, nothing? Why would i do anything?

Don't know what you're even going for, here.

Also, just read the new chapter. Wow, Tokoyami is tiny. How old are they supposed to be again? I'm hoping for him that he's still in his growth phase. :(
But... what's an Excator Hero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

HenryEx posted:

Uh, nothing? Why would i do anything?

Don't know what you're even going for, here.

Also, just read the new chapter. Wow, Tokoyami is tiny. How old are they supposed to be again? I'm hoping for him that he's still in his growth phase. :(
But... what's an Excator Hero

They are mix of 15 and 16 year olds.