Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Someone should make a biblical film solely about the commie parts of the bible where Jesus tells a rich man to sell all that he owns and give it to the poor because no rich person will ever enter heaven ever and drives the moneychangers out of the temple with a whip. Bonus points if the scenes of money changers are intercut with lshots of giftstores and ATMs in megachurches and televangelists raising money for private jets.

A communist atheist homosexual already made the best Jesus movie ever but it still had a bunch of miracle stuff.

At one time Paul verhoeven was tryna make a non-magic Jesus movie, but that's clearly never happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Black Jesus has an episode where Jesus and his crew do a heist against a corrupt preacher played by Keith David :v:. That's about as we're going to get.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

K. Waste posted:

A communist atheist homosexual already made the best Jesus movie ever but it still had a bunch of miracle stuff.

At one time Paul verhoeven was tryna make a non-magic Jesus movie, but that's clearly never happening.

He made Robocop in 1987, dummy

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

K. Waste posted:

Terry jones?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

Terry jones?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gospel_According_to_St._Matthew_(film)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

K. Waste posted:

Speaking of which, what did Pasolini mean when he called the said he was ashamed of the miracle scenes and compared them to Pietism? My knowledge of Pietism is not that deep and I can't draw the connection.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

DeimosRising posted:

Speaking of which, what did Pasolini mean when he called the said he was ashamed of the miracle scenes and compared them to Pietism? My knowledge of Pietism is not that deep and I can't draw the connection.

Pasolini can be pretty fuckin' obtuse, so I'm kinda confused by it, too. That said, I think what it basically comes down to is this conflict you find running throughout his films between the 'poetic' and the 'vulgar'; which is actually this very classically Freudian-Marxist compromise between critique of capitalism and religion, and thus championing its death, while also preserving appreciation or perhaps as Pasolini would say "nostalgia" for the invaluable expression culture gives to the human condition.

So when adapting the Gospels, Pasolini very much wanted to articulate a Christ that would destabilize the sanitized, bourgeois, even Roman conception of the figure; but in so doing he also wanted to narrate the film from the perspective of a 'true believer,' which would only be authentic if he kept all the miracle stuff. So when he criticizes his own Pietism, I think what he's essentially referring to is the reactionary, non-reformist interpretation of Christ myths - That Christ is literally nothing if he is not the authentic Son of God, that the miracles are window-dressing that act like honey to potential converts and which distract from the moral abomination of scapegoating and human sacrifice, etc.

But you always have to take that conflict into consideration with Pasolini's railing against the conformity of Marxism itself, its own pieties and co-optation by bourgeois capitalists who know nothing of the abjection of the poor.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5O3lvN3xEI

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Brad Jones is my spirit animal.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/raycomfort/status/759056480481923072

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

You'd think whoever owns that house would have a nicer TV stand.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Why would an atheist care about the sin of idolatry? Why bother with conversion (or conversation) when you could simply otherize the out group, I guess.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
What is the question? Is it the Crocoduck?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

MonsieurChoc posted:

You can pay 20 bucks and find out.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Local mom destroys atheism with one simple question! Microbiologists hate her!

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

MonsieurChoc posted:

Nah, banana as proof of intelligent design.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
When I went to university they were passing out DVDs similar to that but for abortion. The boxes said it was "one question" that would make you re-think the way you think about abortion.

I did some research and the question was something along the lines of "If you knew you were going to give birth to literally Adolf Hitler would you carry the baby to term" so I expect the question for this movie is probably about that stupid.

e: Looking it up, apparently the question is just to point to a book and say "Do you think the pages and ink of the book could have come together themselves, 'evolving' into the finished product?" And then he tries to say that DNA is like the ink and the paper. Because a piece of writing that may take years to finish at most is the same as an organic being developed over millions and millions of years

Electric Lady fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 2, 2016

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Electric Lady posted:

e: Looking it up, apparently the question is just to point to a book and say "Do you think the pages and ink of the book could have come together themselves, 'evolving' into the finished product?" And then he tries to say that DNA is like the ink and the paper. Because a piece of writing that may take years to finish at most is the same as an organic being developed over millions and millions of years

Yes, because only God can edit. Seriously, what the hell?

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
Lame, I was hoping it was at least something new. That's not a scientific question at all, it's just a less interesting version of the watchmaker analogy. You can't even get a fun rebuttal title out of that like The Blind Watchmaker.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Electric Lady posted:

When I went to university they were passing out DVDs similar to that but for abortion. The boxes said it was "one question" that would make you re-think the way you think about abortion.

I did some research and the question was something along the lines of "If you knew you were going to give birth to literally Adolf Hitler would you carry the baby to term" so I expect the question for this movie is probably about that stupid.
Wait, isn't that an argument for abortion?

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Forgall posted:

Wait, isn't that an argument for abortion?

I was wrong about the question! I researched it again this morning and it turns out the stupid was too much for me to store in my head without becoming crazier.

First, the abortion question movie, "180", was made by the same guy, Ray Comfort.

Second, the question was, "would you kill Hitler's mother, while she was pregnant with Hitler, if you knew that her baby was going to be Hitler", which is a ridiculous concept probably straight out of a schlocky sci-fi novel.

He then goes on to literally compare abortion to the Holocaust.

"Huffington Post posted:

Creator Ray Comfort conducts interviews, asking people what they think about Adolf Hitler and the Holocaust. Responses vary from ignorance about who Hitler was to denial that the Holocaust took place.

The creator then creates hypothetical dilemmas, such as asking people if they would kill Hitler’s mother while she was pregnant if they knew what he would later do to millions.

Many respondents, who say they are pro-choice, say they valued human life too much to perform some of the actions Comfort posed. Comfort then takes their responses and asks them to consider how killing per Hitler’s orders is different from performing an abortion.

I am so loving angry right now.

Electric Lady fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 2, 2016

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Electric Lady posted:

I was wrong about the question! I researched it again this morning and it turns out the stupid was too much for me to store in my head without becoming crazier.

First, the abortion question movie, "180", was made by the same guy, Ray Comfort.

Second, the question was, "would you kill Hitler's mother, while she was pregnant with Hitler, if you knew that her baby was going to be Hitler", which is a ridiculous concept probably straight out of a schlocky sci-fi novel.

He then goes on to literally compare abortion to the Holocaust.

I am so loving angry right now.

Motherfucker. And I wouldn't kill Hitler's mother because she did nothing wrong, and loving with our timeline is a bad idea.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
It all stems from the same white alpha male power fantasy that is so prevalent in the US at least - where people honestly believe that they can effectively defend themselves and their families from nebulous dangers by owning a gun and being willing to use it on someone. Believing you could change history by erasing one person goes a long way toward not realizing how much momentum was going on toward a figure like Hitler doing exactly what he did and getting away with it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'd like to make a movie about a Native American going back in time to stop the genocide of his people.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDfySDiGeh8

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'd like to make a movie about a Native American going back in time to stop the genocide of his people.
I'm sure that if they just went back and killed Christopher Columbus' mother, nobody would have come and colonized

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

coyo7e posted:

I'm sure that if they just went back and killed Christopher Columbus' mother, nobody would have come and colonized

Well, at least they'd have stopped a guy so evil even the Spanish Inquisition thought he was going too far.

Edit: But really I'd go with the stupid alt-history take and have them bring guns and medical tech from the future.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
What would really help the natives is if the whole "90% killed by disease" thing happened in like 1100 and then Columbus continued as normal, because then there would be significant resistance to him and future colonists.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

computer parts posted:

What would really help the natives is if the whole "90% killed by disease" thing happened in like 1100 and then Columbus continued as normal, because then there would be significant resistance to him and future colonists.

Huh, that is an interesting thought. Why didn't diseases brought by Lief Erikson and other early explorers take root? Maybe they did, but new ones came to exist later, or the later explorers just spread out a lot more so the diseases didn't have to migrate the whole way on their own? It's a fascinating question.

Related: There's an interesting a CGP Grey vid that's partially about the diseases that killed the natives, and some reasons why the same didn't happen in reverse.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I always liked the time travel story about Christian time travelers going back to experience the crucifixion in person and having to yell for Barabus to be spared instead of Jesus to avoid a paradox, only to realize after the fact that the crowd responsible for condemning Jesus is composed entirely of fellow time travelers all doing the same thing.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

computer parts posted:

There was significant resistance though, the Aztec for example actually came close to destroying Cortez and his army: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_conquest_of_the_Aztec_Empire#The_Aztec_response And it took forty years for the Spanish to completely conquer the Inca empire: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_conquest_of_the_Inca_Empire#Rebellion_and_reconquest

Guy Mann posted:

I always liked the time travel story about Christian time travelers going back to experience the crucifixion in person and having to yell for Barabus to be spared instead of Jesus to avoid a paradox, only to realize after the fact that the crowd responsible for condemning Jesus is composed entirely of fellow time travelers all doing the same thing.
Michael Moorcock wrote another time travel story called Behold the Man. In that story the time traveler discovers that Jesus was mentally and physically disabled. And because he's obsessed with notion that Jesus was real he begins to pretend he's Jesus.

Magnetic North posted:

Huh, that is an interesting thought. Why didn't diseases brought by Lief Erikson and other early explorers take root? Maybe they did, but new ones came to exist later, or the later explorers just spread out a lot more so the diseases didn't have to migrate the whole way on their own? It's a fascinating question.
The vikings didn't have much contact with the natives and they only got to New Foundland which is fairly isolated. That probably explains why they didn't spread much diseases.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 3, 2016

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

Guy Mann posted:

Let's Go To Golgotha! I think

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

It'd be cool if said movie acknowledged "the Native Americans" were hundreds/thousands of tribes and states who didn't like each other or have much in common.

Cherokee man travels back, successfully gives guns 'n' meds to his people, returns to find the Cherokee were genocided by the Natchez Empire that now dominates the continent.

More on the thread topic, a interesting what if movie would be a world without Christianity. Good luck getting that made without being full dumbass evangelical or maximum fedora, though.

Byzantine fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Aug 4, 2016

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

As in Christianity never appeared on the scene — no Jesus at all — or one in which it for one reason or another passed into obscurity? Are we still including Judaism?

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

When guns are homosexual, only homosexuals will have guns.
So, Years of Rice and Salt: The Movie?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Years_of_Rice_and_Salt?wprov=sfla1

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
It's kind of a tricky question to answer because a lot of stuff in the past two millennia has heavy Christian elements, but a lot of them have other dimensions that might equally be expressed under different systems.

Like for example, Jews were often evicted from countries due to religious persecution, but they were also done so because the ruler owed a lot of money to them and they were the only people who could lend money. So even in a non-Christian environment those economic factors still play a role (though perhaps it wouldn't be Jews specifically who lend money if these non-Christians weren't so anal about usury).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Please god no.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

There was also a novella by Kim Newman and Eugene Byrd called... something like The Tale of the Wandering Christian, where Constantine loses the Battle of Milvian Bridge and as a result of stuff I don't fully remember, Western Europe becomes Jewish instead of Christian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRqrcfHaDo4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QCGZ-1FMvk

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Aug 7, 2016

• Locked thread