Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

alnilam posted:

You could get USB-to-USB-C cables and keep the outlet.
My understanding is that the USB to USB-C cables preclude the fast-charging, which is the whole point of having the charging station to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Mister Kingdom posted:

Is there a good (possibly cheap) alternative to cans of compressed air (like you'd buy in an office supply store)? I have a lot of diecast models that tend to get dusty and I almost destroyed one with canned air.

Was the canned air too powerful? You could always try a rocket blower. Much more gentle.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kedo posted:

WordPress doesn't have individual files that represent a page of content. It takes a theme file (say, post.php) and sticks in the content the adminstrator inserted via their WYSIWYG editor (say, a blog post) and generates a new page on the fly when a user requests it.

Christ, and it's legal to charge people money to do this for them? That's disgusting, and explains why the site looks like shiiiit.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

Is there a good (possibly cheap) alternative to cans of compressed air (like you'd buy in an office supply store)? I have a lot of diecast models that tend to get dusty and I almost destroyed one with canned air.

Get a DataVac

https://www.amazon.com/ED500-DataVac-500-Watt-0-75-HP-Electric/dp/B001J4ZOAW

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

Christ, and it's legal to charge people money to do this for them? That's disgusting, and explains why the site looks like shiiiit.

Yes, that's the basis for every content management system out there. It's how 99% of blogs and news sites work. The money is for the setup and whatever design.

Did you know people pay to fix computers too?!?!?!?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Is there a place online that sells ~$15-$25 replacement steel axe heads, without the axe handle?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Professor Shark posted:

Is there a place online that sells ~$15-$25 replacement steel axe heads, without the axe handle?

Don't buy an axe head made of 15 dollar steel, my man.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Not to mention that keeping a Wordpress install updated and secured is pretty much a job in itself.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of how modern websites work.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kedo posted:

You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of how modern websites work.

Maybe? The outrage part is them using some free themes to slap content together, not at how the data management is done. It's, from my perspective, paying someone to create a facebook account.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Turtlicious posted:

The answer to the alcohol question, you need almost an entire bottle of the stuff, so I was definitely in the right. I already know pigs don't eat bodies in a day, and with that much chrome, it wouldn't matter. The player is throwing a fit though :(

Sounds like a case for https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460258&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=220 . It's more telling stories about tabletop sessions, usually about lovely players, but you might be able to get some advice there on how to deal with your entitled whiner player.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
You know how the save icon is usually a floppy disk despite the fact floppy disks are now obsolete or that we call sending a duplicate email a 'carbon copy' , there's a name for occurrences like this does anyone know what it is?

Also, whats there name of the fallacy where someone believes "All X are Y, All Z are Y therefore all X are Z", For example "All ants are insects, all flie are insects, therefore all ants must be flies"

Edit: the second one was Association fallacy. Still not sure about the outdated icons.

Tea Bone fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Aug 2, 2016

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Professor Shark posted:

One of those chinese ebay sites maybe?

Also what are you doing with them?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Turtlicious posted:

Maybe? The outrage part is them using some free themes to slap content together, not at how the data management is done. It's, from my perspective, paying someone to create a facebook account.

Er, there are whole companies who exist just to create and run Facebook accounts for businesses and celebrities.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

Creating and curating a Facebook account well is absolutely something that people pay for, and is well worth paying for.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Turtlicious posted:

Are you also outraged that people pay other people to vacuum their house or brew a cup of tea?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My wife has a VoIP phone for work. Currently the modem and router are on my desk because I have a desktop computer. Us there any better way to get the cord across the room to her phone than running it all the way along the baseboards?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Earwicker posted:

Are you also outraged that people pay other people to vacuum their house or brew a cup of tea?

Yes

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

How much money do you make at work

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Does anyone recognize what site these images come from? I remember seeing it once, it was some kind of random rune generator... thing:

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

hooah posted:

My wife has a VoIP phone for work. Currently the modem and router are on my desk because I have a desktop computer. Us there any better way to get the cord across the room to her phone than running it all the way along the baseboards?
I'm not gonna be the rear end in a top hat that introduces you to the cordless phone, am I?

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:

Mister Kingdom posted:

Blow through a straw or maybe a coffee stirrer

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Looks like it'll do the job, but that's a bit pricey.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Tea Bone posted:

You know how the save icon is usually a floppy disk despite the fact floppy disks are now obsolete or that we call sending a duplicate email a 'carbon copy' , there's a name for occurrences like this does anyone know what it is?

I asked this a long time ago in this very thread and the best we came up with was "anachronism" I think. I've since learned the word "skeuomorph" and that might be what you're looking for, though it's not exactly the same concept.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

hooah posted:

I suggest you pick up a pair of powerline ethernet adapters -- little boxes that have a plug for a wall power socket, and a jack for a network cable. They'll run you somewhere from 50 to 75 bucks at Best Buy. Plug in one of them into a power plug near the router, and the other wherever you need the connection to be, and they'll (most likely) make a magical connection across the power lines to talk to each other. Then you just plug in network cables to the router and to the voip phone (or anything else) and off you go.

Similar idea but more of a pain to set up, you can get a wireless bridge.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

HMS Boromir posted:

I asked this a long time ago in this very thread and the best we came up with was "anachronism" I think. I've since learned the word "skeuomorph" and that might be what you're looking for, though it's not exactly the same concept.

I believe I suggested "relic" at the time. It works just fine in a technical sense, like "relic of a bygone age."

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Powered Descent posted:

I suggest you pick up a pair of powerline ethernet adapters -- little boxes that have a plug for a wall power socket, and a jack for a network cable. They'll run you somewhere from 50 to 75 bucks at Best Buy. Plug in one of them into a power plug near the router, and the other wherever you need the connection to be, and they'll (most likely) make a magical connection across the power lines to talk to each other. Then you just plug in network cables to the router and to the voip phone (or anything else) and off you go.

I use these for my desktop and performance is indistinguishable between using these and being plugged directly into a router. I definitely recommend these things.

The only watch out is that some homes are wired on two circuits or something and they won't work in that case. I think that's not super common though.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I tried those powerline adapters in my house built in 2011 and the speeds were worse than wifi. I'd definitely buy them from a place with a solid return policy in case they don't work well.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah Powerline technology is neat--and getting better--but it's still really highly dependent on your home's wiring situation as to whether it'll work well--or at all.

I still prefer it to wifi in my home though, airwaves are goddamn saturated :mad:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

photomikey posted:

I'm not gonna be the rear end in a top hat that introduces you to the cordless phone, am I?

I don't know if the school's tech support will help her set up a phone that wasn't provided by the school. I suppose it's worth a shot if we can get one for about the same price as...

Powered Descent posted:

I'd totally forgotten about these. Definitely something to look in to, thanks.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Ciaphas posted:

Does anyone recognize what site these images come from? I remember seeing it once, it was some kind of random rune generator... thing:

Surrealistic video game Goblet Grotto.
Vinesauce did a video on it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Well that was loving weird to watch. Coulda sworn it was a website or something. Thanks!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it normal for people to charge 15k to set up a wordpress site, if they dont manage it outside initial set up?

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

HMS Boromir posted:

Thanks, this is close. I'm sure I've heard a word though that's specifically for where the icon has become obsolete.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

I can also recommend these guys. Wireless in my apartment block is totally unusable. Speeds are indistinguishable from direct Ethernet plug in. I do find that sometimes the connection drops (not on the router) and I have to unplug and replug things in, maybe once or twice a fortnight or so.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
What are dreams?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Funky See Funky Do posted:

What are dreams?

We just don't know.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Who's the voice actress who does the announcer voice in BF1?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bovril Delight posted:

I tried those powerline adapters in my house built in 2011 and the speeds were worse than wifi. I'd definitely buy them from a place with a solid return policy in case they don't work well.

Yeah it can't be stressed enough - you absolutely have to get them from somewhere that allows easy returns. You ahve no way of knowing whether they'll work fine or barely work at all until you install them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

Is it normal for people to charge 15k to set up a wordpress site, if they dont manage it outside initial set up?

If the developer was reasonably priced and the client asked for a completely custom theme with a good amount of non-vanilla WP functionality, yes. Or, if the developer was just plain expensive, yes.

If it's an off the shelf theme that uses vanilla WP functionality, I wouldn't say it's abnormal, but it wouldn't be very fair pricing.