Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

tarlibone posted:

2. He made lofty promises, the kind that he could not possibly ever even come close to fulfilling, either because the math doesn't work out (free college and healthcare for everybody), or because there's this thing called Congress that he'd have to deal with that would fight him tooth and nail every step of the way over things like, well, free college and healthcare. And pretty much every other pie-in-the-sky thing he promised. His promises were as feasible as Donald Trump's are, it's just he's a much better human being, so it's easy for excited kids to fall for it all.

Is this true? there are a lot of countries that do provide free (at the point of use) healthcare and education. Why is it not possible in America?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It's true if we continue to refuse to cut military spending. How do you think that would go?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Squall posted:

My presidential vote doesn't matter, so it's going third party.

In Australia we have a preferential voting system so when you get the voting card you number the candidates in the order of your preference and in the case where there's not a clear majority winner then the losingest candidate gets eliminated and all the #1 votes they got are discounted and all the #2 votes on those voting cards get counted, and so on until someone gets a clear majority.
That way you can make a protest vote for someone who won't win but your vote won't be wasted as long as you listed your preferences properly.

First-past-the-post voting loving sucks and is stupid :colbert:

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I don't know why I got so worked up
earlier. It just bugs me that younger people barely vote because their "vote doesn't count".

If you loving voted in huge blocks the parties would start paying attention and pivoting for your votes. That is actually how people win elections after all. Votes, and poo poo.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Squall posted:

My presidential vote doesn't matter, so it's going third party. Hillary, just like Trump, is a pathological liar that doesn't deserve my vote. I can understand voting for her in a state where you vote might actually matter at all to strategically vote against the "greater evil" in Trump, though.

None of this is true, do you have any evidence or is 25 years of Hillary bashing from the right make you think she is a pathological liar "just like Trump" can you even name something she has actually lied about?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

tarlibone posted:

Well, here's the thing about Bernie's whole... shtick, I guess. Here's the thing. If you're not emotionally invested in Bernie, then here is what you think about when considering his role in the campaign:

1. He became a Democrat specifically to use their massive voting base to give himself a chance at being elected president. That's worse than bandwagoning because you're using the clout of a party you proudly didn't belong to 10 minutes ago to achieve your goals.
2. He made lofty promises, the kind that he could not possibly ever even come close to fulfilling, either because the math doesn't work out (free college and healthcare for everybody), or because there's this thing called Congress that he'd have to deal with that would fight him tooth and nail every step of the way over things like, well, free college and healthcare. And pretty much every other pie-in-the-sky thing he promised. His promises were as feasible as Donald Trump's are, it's just he's a much better human being, so it's easy for excited kids to fall for it all.
3. He complained about a rigged system whose rules didn't change when he entered the race. He knew what he was getting into; the rules weren't secrets or anything.
4. No matter how you slice it, he didn't have more supporters than Hillary did. There are mathematical models that convert his caucus wins to primary vote totals based on realistic variables, and no matter how you play with the numbers--making all states have primaries, making all primaries open primaries, etc.--he ends up with fewer votes. So his railing against superdelegates feels hollow when you realize that his only hope for nomination was for the superdelegates to ignore the will of the majority and side with him.
5. Finally, at the end of the day, he stayed in the race for so long, even after it was very clear that he could not realistically (and eventually, when he couldn't possibly) win, that he turned a grassroots movement into a bona fide schism in the DNC, and that's trouble because that is the one thing, the only thing, that could lead to a Trump presidency.

And take a good look at that last point, because the Bernie-or-Bust folks were very loudly proclaiming that they would choose not to support Hillary because of REASONS. Their reasons often sounded petulant and childish, "my guy didn't win so I'm taking my ballot and going HOME!"-type stuff. That all but verified the fears of the people who at all costs do not want a Trump presidency that they're going to split the Democrat vote and hand Trump the win.

People who don't love Bernie remember all of those points above, and they have little reason to love him. It can't even be said that he brought a bunch of new blood to the party because that new blood left when he did. So I'm not surprised that people who either preferred Hillary or just really hate Trump are hard on Bernie.

(And full disclosure: I say this as a guy who voted for Bernie. Not because I believed his promises, because... well, I'm not a loving idiot. But he was much better than Hillary, who is just awful. But... (sigh)... awful is better than Trump.)

I will admit that I agree with a fair bit of this, but you did lose me during the writeup after point 5. Bernie's point was to bring social democratic principles more into the mainstream of American politics and he succeeded ten fold. He also isn't finished as now he is focusing on downticket campaigns as lately on his interviews he is practically screaming "vote for downticket candidate who support my platform."

While I agree that there was A LOT the should have been corrected during his run, he still did make a great effort, and that to many Democrats still stuck with a traditional mindset, his effects on the party won't be apparent until years down the road.

Also the "Bernie or Bust" type people always appear during a competitive race with the losing candidates. Remember PUMAs?

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

socialsecurity posted:

None of this is true, do you have any evidence or is 25 years of Hillary bashing from the right make you think she is a pathological liar "just like Trump" can you even name something she has actually lied about?

Every interview she gave about her email server comes to mind.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Vodos posted:

Agreed on the Congress part, but how can you say that the US can't afford things that are completely normal in the majority of Western democracies? We pay somewhat more taxes in Europe but at least we don't go bankrupt from medical emergencies or tens of thousands into debt for an education. In the US you're paying more "taxes" than us Europeans, you just don't call them taxes because you're paying the private sector for the services covered by our "high" taxes. Plus a huge chunk of your actual taxes go directly into the pockets of the private sector.

Heisenberg1276 posted:

Is this true? there are a lot of countries that do provide free (at the point of use) healthcare and education. Why is it not possible in America?

Let me clarify this bit of my list. Bernie put forth a plan and said it'd work. His plan would work if he raised $33 trillion (with a T) over 10 years. But, his plan raises only $15 trillion over that period of time. To make the math work, he'd have to do some pretty gnarly things, like put more tax burden on the middle class. There's a good summary in the Washington Post that cites two fairly reputable sources.

Also, he'd have trouble doing all of this while simultaneously forcing all medical providers in the nation to accept Medicare assignment of benefits, which can often be a pittance compared to how much people pay now, including insurance companies' negotiated discounts. This would lead to massive job losses in the healthcare industry, even more massive losses to the healthcare insurance industry, and all of that reduces the tax base... and you have to come up with that money somewhere.

And the same pretty much goes for his college plan. He doesn't raise enough money to pay for it. The math just doesn't work. The things that work in countries with lower populations don't always scale up nicely to a country with the population of the United States.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Vodos posted:

Every interview she gave about her email server comes to mind.

Which part did she lie about?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

punk rebel ecks posted:

I will admit that I agree with a fair bit of this, but you did lose me during the writeup after point 5. Bernie's point was to bring social democratic principles more into the mainstream of American politics and he succeeded ten fold. He also isn't finished as now he is focusing on downticket campaigns as lately on his interviews he is practically screaming "vote for downticket candidate who support my platform."

While I agree that there was A LOT the should have been corrected during his run, he still did make a great effort, and that to many Democrats still stuck with a traditional mindset, his effects on the party won't be apparent until years down the road.

I won't argue with that. He may indeed have done just enough to shift the DNC a bit away from the middle, and that could possibly be a good thing, even if we don't see the benefits for a few years.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Also the "Bernie or Bust" type people always appear during a competitive race with the losing candidates. Remember PUMAs?

While that's true, it's never been as bad as it is this time around. I've closely followed presidential elections ever since I was a teenager, and that was over 20 years ago. Yes, there are always the people who say that they won't support the ticket since their guy lost. But you know what? They went away very quickly, and they were nowhere near as vocal or vitriolic as the Bernie or Bust people. The degree of hostility I'm still seeing in that camp, and the fact that I'm still seeing it, is unprecedented. And, it remains to be seen how this will affect the election.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Please take election talk to the relevant subforum especially as:

Echo Chamber posted:

John Oliver barely commented on Bernie Sanders so I don't know where this discussion in this thread is coming from.

To clarify, I'm not saying there shouldn't be any political talk, just try and keep in mind that it should be more about how events are being covered seeing as this is a thread about a news program.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 2, 2016

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I, for one, was totally caught off guard as to how powerful the tanning bed industry has become.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For something as seemingly innocuous as a tanning bed their industry is extremely scummy. Especially in regards to marketing to teens.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
My honest to god first reaction was "Uh, well this is going to be a waste of a segment, they're not still a thing."

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

My honest to god first reaction was "Uh, well this is going to be a waste of a segment, they're not still a thing."
Have you seen the Republican presidential nominee?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Josh Lyman posted:

Have you seen Donald Trump?

My American friends introduced me to Jersey Shore, so that has to be a spray tan.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Duzzy Funlop posted:

There have been a couple of large chain tanning salons that opened in my town in the last couple years, and they have ads on billboards around town constantly. I guess they're a thing still.

I tried a tanning bed once, but it felt like I was being bombarded with cancer - the UV actually made my skin prickle. Also who wants to lay naked in someone else's big coffin tube for 20 or 30 minutes?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I strongly suspect tanning beds are one of those things where their popularity depends on where you live and what the climate is like. For instance, I live in northern Ontario, and as a result, tanning via natural sunlight has a pretty small window, time-wise. So my town of about 120,000 people has like 3 or 4 places that have tanning beds.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Open up google maps, type in "tanning" and pan around the rural US (especially the Ohio River Valley). There's basically a tanning salon in every town big enough to have a gas station.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Well, the operating costs are basically "buy 4 tanning beds (maybe), rent a small strip mall spot, pay electricity and a bored teenager to man the counter."

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I strongly suspect tanning beds are one of those things where their popularity depends on where you live and what the climate is like. For instance, I live in northern Ontario, and as a result, tanning via natural sunlight has a pretty small window, time-wise. So my town of about 120,000 people has like 3 or 4 places that have tanning beds.

Hilariously enough they're incredibly popular in Florida so people can keep up the beach tan look even if the weather doesn't cooperate.

As long as the archetype of beauty for men and women remains tanned and athletic theyre going to remain popular. Alternatively someone could create a spray tan that doesn't look like orange paint

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

No Butt Stuff posted:

Well, the operating costs are basically "buy 4 tanning beds (maybe), rent a small strip mall spot, pay electricity and a bored teenager to man the counter."

"Install hidden cameras, sell videos at nearest truck stop"

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Hilariously enough they're incredibly popular in Florida so people can keep up the beach tan look even if the weather doesn't cooperate.

As long as the archetype of beauty for men and women remains tanned and athletic theyre going to remain popular. Alternatively someone could create a spray tan that doesn't look like orange paint

Not all spray tans are horrible. But, to your main point, yeah, as long as the tanned look is popular, people are going to do it. I mean, tanning beds are very likely to cause cancer, and literally everybody knows this... and still people tan. And they have for a while.

I went to a small high school in rural southern Illinois (about 250 students total, Freshman - Senior). Needless to say, it was all white except for my family (white mixed with Indian), one girl who'd been adopted from Central America, and a Mexican family whose mom spoke broken Spanglish but whose daughters were born in the US. So, except for about 4 girls, everyone was white. Most of them were very fair-skinned, too. I have pictures in my (black and white) yearbooks showing these ridiculous young ladies so tanned for prom that they look like they're in blackface. This was in the early 1990s. In these small towns, tanning beds were often in, believe it or not, video rental stores.

And also... I love the avatar and personal text.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Not related to the most recent episode, but remember how they did a big piece on voter ID laws ages ago? Apparently thanks to the vacancy in the supreme court, a lot of lower court judges are shooting down that legislation, now that the Republican politicians that pushed those laws through no longer have the protection of a conservative supreme court to overturn the lower court decisions.

So there's some good news for this terrible election cycle.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

tarlibone posted:

This was in the early 1990s. In these small towns, tanning beds were often in, believe it or not, video rental stores.
Oh thank god this is a thing beyond my hometown. In my early 20s I worked in a video store / tanning salon, and was perplexed as to why these disparate businesses were paired together. I can only guess it was a low-overhead supplemental revenue stream to compliment the rentals. Or,

No Butt Stuff posted:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I hate to have to say it, but at least in the US, I think tanning salons are a sign of depressed economic areas (see also: liquor stores and churches). On some deep psychological level, having a tan denotes status in that the orange person can afford to be lazy in the sun for a span of hours at midday, kind of like how being pale used to denote the status of not having to work out in the sun.

Canada is an entirely different beast. I lived in Calgary at the height of their oil boom, and I've never seen a place with more tanning salons in my life. Maybe it was the harsh winter, maybe it was the city's vanity. Who knows.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

What's wrong with a tan?

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

Propaganda Machine posted:

I hate to have to say it, but at least in the US, I think tanning salons are a sign of depressed economic areas (see also: liquor stores and churches). On some deep psychological level, having a tan denotes status in that the orange person can afford to be lazy in the sun for a span of hours at midday, kind of like how being pale used to denote the status of not having to work out in the sun.

Canada is an entirely different beast. I lived in Calgary at the height of their oil boom, and I've never seen a place with more tanning salons in my life. Maybe it was the harsh winter, maybe it was the city's vanity. Who knows.

most likely it's sads mitigation.

https://www.sads.ca/

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Demiurge4 posted:

What's wrong with a tan?

After all, they will become mandatory in the Trumpenreich 2017.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

tarlibone posted:

This was in the early 1990s. In these small towns, tanning beds were often in, believe it or not, video rental stores.

In my microscopically small town, we had a video store/tanning bed place that shut down about two years ago.

Demiurge4 posted:

What's wrong with a tan?

Well, if you're not naturally that color it's actually the result of ultraviolet light damaging your skin. And while you do need a small amount of UV light (despite what the segment claimed, taking vitamin D supplements won't cut it), UV also has a tendency to make part of your DNA sticky if the wrong part of it gets hit by a ray which means that when it duplicates there's a chance that it will copy wrong. Everytime that happens, it's rolling the dice to see if it turns into cancer. Now on an individual one hit level, the odds are infinitesimally small, but this happens all the time and tanning increases the number of times those dice are rolled by a gigantic amount. And that's why tanning beds and regular tanning are bad for you.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
When I was a little kid my mom and sister would make me go to the tanning beds with them and even as young as 8-10 I knew this poo poo couldn't possibly be safe and yes I can remember a few of them being in video rental stores.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Propaganda Machine posted:

It's all those poor fucks that work in fort Mc but didn't have enough time to fly to Hawaii every month so tanning bed.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Was that Jason Jones in the film?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I badly want a CHORP mug.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Mustache Ride posted:

Was that Jason Jones in the film?

The reporter? That was Bobby Cannavale (Boardwalk Empire, Vinyl).

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Whoa, Oliver finally dropped the "We only have time for a quick recap of the week" opening line.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
TRONC sounds like something Pinky would say.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Did John cite an April Fool's prank?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Popelmon posted:

The reporter? That was Bobby Cannavale (Boardwalk Empire, Vinyl).

The Mark Ruffalo look worked well for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm the guy who opens New York Times articles in an incognito window to avoid the 10 articles a month paywall.

I tell myself that once I make enough money I'll actually buy a New York Times subscription; but I keep second guessing this each time I look at their editorial pages and ask myself do I really want to support these guys.

• Locked thread