Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ghostlight posted:

The last thing an artist wants to do is to take a canonical stance on the size of Jesus' junk.

I'll ask next time I meet with the Pope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Teenage Fansub posted:

There's a Nick Fury sale on at Comixology https://www.comixology.com/Nick-Fury-Agent-of-S-H-I-E-L-D-Sale/page/11665?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw, so I picked a comic at random, looked at the preview pages and met this..

Nick Fury vs. S.H.I.E.L.D. #6

That speedo explains a lot actually.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 2, 2016

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

The last thing an artist wants to do is to take a canonical stance on the size of Jesus' junk.

I literally saw an entire book about this very subject when I was browsing in this kooky second-hand book shop last weekend. Apparently a lot of artists at one point wanted to do exactly this.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Android Blues posted:

I literally saw an entire book about this very subject when I was browsing in this kooky second-hand book shop last weekend. Apparently a lot of artists at one point wanted to do exactly this.
Or the artists had wealthy patrons that wanted a religious painting and wanted the King of Kings to kinda look like them. Oh and while you're making the Prince of Peace look like the patron, a biggus dickus would be swell.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SynthOrange posted:

Yes the one piece swimsuit is crucial.

How many dudes wear two piece swimsuits?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

lifg posted:

That page is wonderful! Is that from Alan Moore's run?
Yeah, it s from Swamp Thing's weird space trip.

WickedHate posted:

I'll ask next time I meet with the Pope.
The Vatican actually banned any talk about Jesus' junk in 1900 because two different churches argued about who had his holy foreskin.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CannonFodder posted:

Or the artists had wealthy patrons that wanted a religious painting and wanted the King of Kings to kinda look like them. Oh and while you're making the Prince of Peace look like the patron, a biggus dickus would be swell.

I still blows my mind (and I only found out about it recently) that most people's image for the last few centuries of what Jesus Christ looked like is actually based on Cesare Borgia.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 2, 2016

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alhazred posted:

The Vatican actually banned any talk about Jesus' junk in 1900 because two different churches argued about who had his holy foreskin.

What? Everyone knows it's Saturn's rings.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

How many dudes wear two piece swimsuits?

I know better than to take my shirt off in public.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Android Blues posted:

And yet despite differences in portrayal, they all point to the fact that he was well hung.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

tribbledirigible posted:

And yet despite differences in portrayal, they all point to the fact that he was well hung.

Which is ironic, considering the ideal at the time was small penises, which were seen as graceful and elegant and Romans were all a bunch of pedophiles. Really, Jesus probably feels insulted...

Axeface
Feb 28, 2009

He Who Walks
Behind The Aisles

Jerusalem posted:

I still blows my mind (and I only found out about it recently) that most people's image for the last few centuries of what Jesus Christ looked like is actually based on Cesare Borgia.

Whaaaaat? That's...kind of awesome, actually. Do you have a source I could check out?

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

tribbledirigible posted:

:golfclap:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Axeface posted:

Whaaaaat? That's...kind of awesome, actually. Do you have a source I could check out?

See after confidently making that statement, now that you've asked me for a source and I've actually gone looking all I'm finding are increasingly nerve-inducing conspiracy websites that are making me a little leery of the idea just by association - I think maybe I was just so struck by the idea when I first read it that I accepted it at face value.

The general argument seems to be that Altobello Melone's Portrait of a Gentleman, which was supposedly based on Cesare, strongly influenced depictions of Christ from that point on, particularly in his facial structure. But just as equally I'm finding claims that DaVinci's Last Supper was the first use of a Cesare-influenced Jesus - DaVinci DID work for Cesare so the possibility is there... but he worked for him AFTER making The Last Supper! The claims that Melone's portrait is based on Cesare seem circular, in that most depictions of Cesare are now based on Melone's portrait.

So in the end I guess what I'm saying is.... I have no idea if this is true or not!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Regardless it's a safe bet that the common Western depiction of Jesus is based on some Italian guy from the 16th Century and that is pretty funny.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I wouldn't be too sure about that honestly, this is a 6th century depiction of Jesus that immediately recognisable even today for example:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I stand completely corrected then.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

System Metternich posted:

I wouldn't be too sure about that honestly, this is a 6th century depiction of Jesus that immediately recognisable even today for example:

It's really amazing how quickly he turned white.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MikeJF posted:

It's really amazing how quickly he turned white.
That thing was probably painted in Russia, noted haunt of whites

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Well I mean he was Judean, not Nubian, his degree of swarthiness is pretty up for grabs.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

tribbledirigible posted:

:vince:

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Nessus posted:

That thing was probably painted in Russia, noted haunt of whites
Kyiv didn't adopt Christianity until the 10th century. That icon is from St. Catherine's monastery on Mt. Sinai in Egypt, and may have been produced in Constantinople.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
Jesus never did have that lazy eye corrected, eh?

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

joehonkie posted:

Jesus never did have that lazy eye corrected, eh?

There's actually a symbolic meaning there. One side of Jesus' face shows him as the gentle, caring teacher; the other as the stern judge of mankind.

Oh, right, funny panel.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

GREEEEP!

Labeled as something from Jimmy Olsen by Jack Kirby.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
"it's just like in my Monster Manual!"

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

That unicorn is loving ripped

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Skwirl posted:

What? Everyone knows it's Saturn's rings.

I feel like I have to reply to this superb response, just in case I'm the only one who knows what you're even talking about.

One last bit on Jesus chat: it wasn't common to see Jesus with a beard in art until about the 6th century. Prior to that, he was depicted as youthful and beardless, presumably in analogy to Apollo. The addition of the beard shows the influence of Eastern tradition creeping into the art.

edit: Of course, probably the most famous example of a late-era beardless Jesus is in Michelangelo's The Last Judgment in this Sistine Chapel, which even by that time would have been unusual, even in the West, where youthful Jesus was more common for centuries after it fell out of fashion in the East.

Benito Cereno fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 3, 2016

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
That is some Hal Jordan poo poo right there.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

a kitten posted:

GREEEEP!

Labeled as something from Jimmy Olsen by Jack Kirby.

I love how one of the guys staring aghast at the monsters is clearly a Leprechaun.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
That's Scrapper, enforcer of the Newsboy Legion.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Tokyo Ghost #9

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

On the recommendation of Scott Aukerman I decided to pick up Public Relations and I really wish I could post all three issues I've read in this thread.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...Did that comic just make a paedophilia and bestiality joke in the same page?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Wow. That is one of the most aggressively unfunny things I've ever read.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

FredMSloniker posted:

Wow. That is one of the most aggressively unfunny things I've ever read.

Most of it is trying too hard but Curtis Interruptus is good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That makes me want to take them off the shelf and throw them away.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I like it because it reads like a scene right out of Curb Your Enthusiasm where Larry says something really dumb and awkward and gets called on it and only manages to make it worse. I guess if awkward comedy is not your thing I can understand why you wouldn't like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Feels like it's trying to be edgy for the sake of being edgy.