Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

myron cope posted:

Do we have an idea when the new Nexus phones are coming out? I know nobody really knows, I don't know if there have been any rumors lately that I haven't been following that closely. I saw some spec leaks not too long ago and I guess people are fairly confident in those. I'm definitely replacing my Nexus 6 with the bigger one when it comes out.

This month (assuming Google sticks with their documented process where device release and AOSP release are one in the same):

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/759266685891248131

Some of the Android Police staff on social media aren't even being subtle that they're in the know but aren't saying anything:

https://twitter.com/RDR0b11/status/757636156154490880

https://twitter.com/RDR0b11/status/759106999405547521

quote:

My biggest worry is that I didn't even realize HTC was still in business, I thought they folded like 2 years ago

Understandable (especially given the state of the Nexus 9) but HTC's supposed demotion into a contract manufacturer might change the equation somewhat. It's not even clear if they'll even be branded "Nexus" this time round, given this Telegraph UK story back in June:

quote:

The technology giant is in discussions with mobile operators about releasing a Google-branded phone that will extend the company’s move into hardware, sources familiar with the discussions told The Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/06/26/google-to-step-up-smartphone-wars-with-release-of-own-handset/

I dismissed it at the time, but given AP's recreation/render of the 2016 phones omits the Nexus logo altogether and despite everything else, they still don't know what it's called:

https://twitter.com/RDR0b11/status/759111426061414401

it's probably spot on. And Google seem somewhat serious about it actually selling given teardowns of the latest Google app APK suggest the Google assistant will be exclusive to "Nexus" alongside Google Home:

quote:

<string name="assistant_settings_device_type_google_home">Google Home</string>
<string name="assistant_settings_device_type_nexus">Nexus</string>

The Google watch leak suggests the same Assistant exclusivity is true for for Android Wear. Seems the latest iteration on Sundar's (failed) Google Play edition/Android One/Android Silver strategy is to just outright drain the oxygen of non-Samsung Android phones by restricting the ecosystem until OEMs have no choice but to sign up and make "Google" devices themselves since none of them have viable brands.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

EV Leaks has 7.0 launching this Friday. If true, hardware can't be far behind.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

EV Leaks has 7.0 launching this Friday. If true, hardware can't be far behind.

Is there a different meaning for "launching"? It won't be released publicly without new hardware, no? Unless this cycle is going to be really different than usual.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

RVProfootballer posted:

Is there a different meaning for "launching"? It won't be released publicly without new hardware, no? Unless this cycle is going to be really different than usual.

No one really knows. Google doesn't always stick to the same conventions year after year. It's very possible it'll push out alongside the Aug security patch and the phones will follow later. It's not unprecedented, Froyo launched without new hardware.

There's also reports that the LG V20 will be the first NEW phone released with 7.0. As much as I wouldn't want to wait till after September for new Nexus phones, it would be amusing to see the internet revolt over a non-Nexus being the first to launch with the latest version of Android.

The only REAL thing we know is that 7.0 will launch before Sept 22nd as the constant refrain this entire time is that Nougat will launch in the summer.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Aug 1, 2016

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

How come you're not on Marshmallow?

I have a general rule for OS upgrades on Windows that's served me well:

1) Will all my old stuff that I like run on the new OS?
2) Are there things I specifically need the new OS to be able to run?

and if 1) and 2) both fail I hold off on the upgrade. Marshmallow breaks one of my companion apps for one of my games and I don't know of apps I want that require it, so I've stuck with the known good. If Google hears my pleas and releases a new Nexus 7 this year, it'll have something newer on it.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Vagrancy posted:

This month (assuming Google sticks with their documented process where device release and AOSP release are one in the same):

<e:snip most>

The Google watch leak suggests the same Assistant exclusivity is true for for Android Wear. Seems the latest iteration on Sundar's (failed) Google Play edition/Android One/Android Silver strategy is to just outright drain the oxygen of non-Samsung Android phones by restricting the ecosystem until OEMs have no choice but to sign up and make "Google" devices themselves since none of them have viable brands.

Interesting, thanks! I also hadn't heard about the watch(es) at all. I have a Pebble but may check one of those out too. What is the purpose of LTE in a watch? To use the watch without a phone at all? I thought that was the point of Android Wear :confused:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

bull3964 posted:

There's also reports that the LG V20 will be the first NEW phone released with 7.0. As much as I wouldn't want to wait till after September for new Nexus phones, it would be amusing to see the internet revolt over a non-Nexus being the first to launch with the latest version of Android.

The only REAL thing we know is that 7.0 will launch before Sept 22nd as the constant refrain this entire time is that Nougat will launch in the summer.

I had friends who (comically) were legit pissed when my OG MotoX got KitKat before their Nexus 4 (only getting beat out by the N5 by a sliver).

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So my replacement N5x came today. It's doing this odd thing where it gets full service, but no data. There's no little letter for H or LTE near the signal indicator either. If I reboot, or cycle airplane mode a bunch of will eventually get data, but it takes a few times. Maybe it's my SIM? I work next door to an AT&T store so I can grab a new SIM pretty easily.

Wondering if I should factory reset or reflash the latest stock image.

EDIT: Google and calling AT&T revealed my line and IMEI weren't provisioned for LTE. Called and had that done, and now I'm aces.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 1, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/08/01/lg-v20-first-android-7-0-nougat-phone/

Droid Life's reading of the tea leaves is thus.

Nougat will launch with the Aug 5th security update, with meaning "included" and not "the same time." (confusing wording on the evleaks tweet.)

They expect 7.0 to launch mid Aug, probably around the 18th.

The V20 will indeed be the first phone to ship with 7.0 as their sources say the new Nexus phones will launch Oct 4th.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Android Police says a new Launcher is coming to Nexus phones. It looks good but different and therefor scary. http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/08/01/exclusive-this-is-googles-new-nexus-launcher-that-may-debut-on-the-2016-nexus-phones/

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Luchadork posted:

Android Police says a new Launcher is coming to Nexus phones. It looks good but different and therefor scary. http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/08/01/exclusive-this-is-googles-new-nexus-launcher-that-may-debut-on-the-2016-nexus-phones/

Looks awesome as hell. Hopefully we can add some icon themes.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

bull3964 posted:

The V20 will indeed be the first phone to ship with 7.0 as their sources say the new Nexus phones will launch Oct 4th.

I hope it isn't that late :ohdear:, like 2 or 3 weeks from now seems like a good time

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Luchadork posted:

Still not a fan of the icons, but the drawer looks really slick. Really liking that they finally got rid of the redundant search bar, not so much that you can't touch the calendar widget.

Overall though, it looks really promising.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Luchadork posted:

Party like it's Android 0.9!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Hope that's true, it's definitely more efficient than the app drawer button. And maybe there's a hidden setting somewhere for the calendar thing...

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Vagrancy posted:

I dismissed it at the time, but given AP's recreation/render of the 2016 phones omits the Nexus logo altogether and despite everything else, they still don't know what it's called:

https://twitter.com/RDR0b11/status/759111426061414401

Their code names are Sailfish and Marlin, so obviously they'll be called the Nexus S&M. :whip:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

Hope that's true, it's definitely more efficient than the app drawer button. And maybe there's a hidden setting somewhere for the calendar thing...

How is it any more efficient than the app drawer? Whether you pull it up or it's "behind" the desktop, it's still just a shitload of apps. It seems like you get to pick 5 (rather than 4) apps to put in the dock but beyond that it's the same alphabetical list of installed apps with no categorization or user control.

The fact that they change the app drawer with every version really goes to show that there just isn't a good way to handle this. Even iOS which is all app drawer doesn't do a good job, needing both a search function and a lot of manual fiddling to make it work. Though at least there you can manage things somewhat using folders which you can't in the Android app drawer.

The problem comes from the fact that there are some apps you have to have installed but don't really want or need in the drawer, like paid app keys, utilities, and preinstalled, non-disableable system apps (none of which have an iOS analog now). I can understand why hiding apps wouldn't be a function for the stock launcher but without that function or organizational tools the app drawer will always be a mess.

The Android "solution" for what it's worth seems to be to let the drawer be a mess and to use the desktop for what you really care about while searching for the rest but I have a tough time accepting that that's the most elegant way to solve the problem or it is one that users actually understand and use though I don't have the data to know what users do and presumably Google does. It should be noted that out of the box the Play Store installs app shortcuts to the home screen and if I had to guess I'd say that most users' desktops are just as messy and disorganized as their app drawer.

Either way I don't see where these changes do anything to address the core problem of disorganized app drawers.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

The efficiency here might just be that your drawer has room for one more app?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Dark One posted:

The efficiency here might just be that your drawer has room for one more app?

You mean the dock not the drawer but I think we can agree that's small potatos. It's slightly better than a shortcut on the homescreen of the desktop.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

LastInLine posted:

You mean the dock not the drawer but I think we can agree that's small potatos. It's slightly better than a shortcut on the homescreen of the desktop.

Definitely a sign I need to go to bed.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

paid app keys
While I don't disagree with the general point you're making, apps are not required to include a launcher activity (which is what makes it appear in the drawer). Apps that genuinely do nothing shouldn't be there and it is the app dev's fault.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

LastInLine posted:

How is it any more efficient than the app drawer? Whether you pull it up or it's "behind" the desktop, it's still just a shitload of apps. It seems like you get to pick 5 (rather than 4) apps to put in the dock

Yeah that.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I'm trying out a note 5 and I like it but the sound isn't doing it for me. I don't care about cameras. Just great audio (I wear headphones at work all night listening to podcasts) and a great colorful screen. Should I got Moto Z or HTC 10?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

While I don't disagree with the general point you're making, apps are not required to include a launcher activity (which is what makes it appear in the drawer). Apps that genuinely do nothing shouldn't be there and it is the app dev's fault.

I went and checked and of course you're right. The only app key I have in the drawer is for Nova (but in my defense that might be the only app key I have). I have a lot of mostly useless apps though where the icon is present only so you can enter settings (Swype, a few widget apps, some Wear apps) and I find those just as annoying.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

LastInLine posted:

Though at least [in iOS] you can manage things somewhat using folders which you can't in the Android app drawer.
iOS doesn't have an app drawer at all so you can get the same level of management in Android as you can iOS.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

I went and checked and of course you're right. The only app key I have in the drawer is for Nova (but in my defense that might be the only app key I have). I have a lot of mostly useless apps though where the icon is present only so you can enter settings (Swype, a few widget apps, some Wear apps) and I find those just as annoying.

I think the Nova Launcher Prime icon is supposed to disappear from the app drawer after the first time you click on it.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I replaced the screen on my Nexus 5, and lo I rejoiced that my phone wasn't falling apart any more. Cheap enough that I'm happy upgrading to the new Nexus when they come out. A problem has emerged though that the mobile antenna seems to be working far less well. I can't get signal in my bedroom unless I open the window and hold there phone outside. I've checked the connections inside and everything seems to be working properly. When I've got signal it's fine and can easily get full bars but it seems like instead of getting weaker reception it just cuts out. Any suggestions?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

The Android "solution" for what it's worth seems to be to let the drawer be a mess and to use the desktop for what you really care about while searching for the rest but I have a tough time accepting that that's the most elegant way to solve the problem or it is one that users actually understand and use though I don't have the data to know what users do and presumably Google does. It should be noted that out of the box the Play Store installs app shortcuts to the home screen and if I had to guess I'd say that most users' desktops are just as messy and disorganized as their app drawer.
Every Android users I know who is not a phone sperg just puts all their apps on their homescreens exactly like iOS users, only they don't actually seem to bother to organize them and occasionally will somehow pocket-move/delete things and not know where they are. I have no idea how this happens.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Merkinman posted:

iOS doesn't have an app drawer at all so you can get the same level of management in Android as you can iOS.

The launcher in iOS is more analogous to the app drawer than it is to the desktop. The desktop by its nature is not all apps, whereas the app drawer is exactly that: All of your apps. That distinction has been blurred by the general uselessness of widgets for most people but there it is. My point is that iOS (before you could disable system apps you don't want in the latest release) at least allowed you put everything you didn't use into a junk folder. I suppose you could make the argument that at least Android puts things in a sensible order in the drawer whereas iOS just put them in the order they were installed.

I would contend that neither do a very good job of hands-off organization and that any ease of use comes from the user either organizing things themselves or hunting for things and memorizing their locations. My experience with most users mirrors Endless Mike's:

Endless Mike posted:

Every Android users I know who is not a phone sperg just puts all their apps on their homescreens exactly like iOS users, only they don't actually seem to bother to organize them and occasionally will somehow pocket-move/delete things and not know where they are. I have no idea how this happens.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I think the Nova Launcher Prime icon is supposed to disappear from the app drawer after the first time you click on it.

:aaaaa: So it does!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don't forget that the play store, by default, puts new apps directly on the home screens when installing.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The best launcher is the Microsoft Arrow launcher.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
lol if you don't log press the app drawer button and then type a few letters of the app you want. just like lol if you don't swipe iOS to the right and get the spotlight search for your apps.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

RBX posted:

I'm trying out a note 5 and I like it but the sound isn't doing it for me. I don't care about cameras. Just great audio (I wear headphones at work all night listening to podcasts) and a great colorful screen. Should I got Moto Z or HTC 10?

Sound all that matters? Axon 7 if you don't insist on a major brand. No clue how supported the software will be but the hardware is top notch. Newegg has it for $399 and includes a free $199 pair of headphones.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 2, 2016

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

The Dark One posted:

Party like it's Android 0.9!

I'm not even joking, I was mad I missed this party when I got my first Android phone.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

I can understand why hiding apps wouldn't be a function for the stock launcher but without that function or organizational tools the app drawer will always be a mess.

Why though? As far as I know Touchwiz, Sense, and LG all allow folders and hiding apps from the drawer.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Honestly the only feature I really want in the Google Launcher anyhow is the ability to make folders within the app drawer. Just give us that, Google.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Luchadork posted:

Honestly the only feature I really want in the Google Launcher anyhow is the ability to make folders within the app drawer. Just give us that, Google.

This is pretty much the biggest thing I love about Nova Launcher.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Embrace search and discard the antiquated idea of app drawers.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Thermopyle posted:

Embrace search and discard the antiquated idea of app drawers.

Embrace bigotry against dyslexics?

Embrace not being able to review your apps outside a technical menu?

Sometimes the status quo has earned its place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Embrace bigotry against dyslexics?

Embrace not being able to review your apps outside a technical menu?

Sometimes the status quo has earned its place.

Yes, I was seriously recommending doing away with the app drawer and not recommending people try just searching for their apps instead of micromanaging them by nesting folders or giving excessive cares about what did or did not show up in the app drawer.