Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Grey Hunter posted:

Their somewhere between 10 and 15mm, I'll try and take a photo of them next to the 15mm men I've just painted - Their a little on the small side, but you can call them A or B models before they added the extra meter to the fuselage.

For £20 for the lot I can't complain - how often are heuys on the ground? The Gunship on used some spare parts off a battlefront Hog pack - so I have a Hog and Frog for minimal outlay.
Probably way too large for my purposes then, even if it would be far cheaper too :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Arquinsiel posted:

Probably way too large for my purposes then, even if it would be far cheaper too :(

Trumpeter makes 1/350 scale Hueys that are like ~1 dollar each.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
https://m.thevintagenews.com/2016/07/30/priority-see-surviving-images-veterans-napoleonic-wars-hd-color-2/

I'm just gonna leave these colorized photos of Napoleonic soldiers right here.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

goodness posted:

What are some good blogs to see pictures of armies, preferably 15mm and under (would take scifi/fantasy recommendations as well). Brainstorming ideas for a purchase and I need some inspiration.

I think Breakthrough Assault and What Would Patton Do are two good ones for 15mm WWII.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

goodness posted:

What are some good blogs to see pictures of armies, preferably 15mm and under (would take scifi/fantasy recommendations as well). Brainstorming ideas for a purchase and I need some inspiration.

http://www.heresybrush.com/category/scale/15mm/

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

That mud splatter effect is pretty great.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Cross posting from the Oath thread:

Endman posted:

Gotta get that WIP Photos achievement. Here's a WIP shot!

I've also got to figure out which one of these I want to paint on his shield:

I can't decide which Legion my dude should be from, there are so many. Are there any particular units that stand out in battles with the Goths? Because I have a few of those too.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Well I did an unboxing blog post on the new Konflikt 47 US starter.

http://toomanymetalmen.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/konflikt-47-us-starter-unboxing.html

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Are the minor powers getting anything for '47? I know the army books are compatible, but I expect that in practice this means the Germans get cool scifi stuff with which to wreck my Poles.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I have a dreadful feeling that I can actually afford it... Even though I probably want the British forces and I have nobody to play with/against.

On the other hand, whatever keeps me away from AoS...

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Any cool stuff for the soviets? I have some 28mm soviets from CoC, so if they have the flying ghost of lenin or something that might be a laugh to get.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

moths posted:

Are the minor powers getting anything for '47? I know the army books are compatible, but I expect that in practice this means the Germans get cool scifi stuff with which to wreck my Poles.

1st theatre book will be Pacific.

As Poland is still under German/Soviet occupation, you can either go with resistance forces from there, or go with the Polish forces operating from the UK and either equip them from the US or UK army lists, even if it is just adding walkers.

All armies are basically late war plus some weird stuff, so if you have Polish paratroopers and add a couple of walkers. The British have their own version of the Coyote light walker with a different weapon load out (that looks more effective at dealing with infantry) and the Americans have Jackal and Mudskipper jump walkers that would fit into a paratrooper force quite well thematically.

The rulebook gives 4 major theatres - Western Front, Eastern Front, Persian Front and Pacific Theatre. This brings most nations into play.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Khey get dudes in metal robot suits, according to some promo art I've seen.

I didn't think they were going too far supernatural / paranormal, but then the Nazis get zombies and werewolves.

I'd love if Poland got winged hussar ghost lancers, but that might not be in the cards.

E: beaten! But thanks, British loaners should be ok.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

spectralent posted:

Any cool stuff for the soviets? I have some 28mm soviets from CoC, so if they have the flying ghost of lenin or something that might be a laugh to get.

Heavy infantry that look like Ned Kelly, Man bears, genetically enhanced women in a semi propaganda unit with AK-47s, Siberian Terror troops who aren't zombies because they run around and stab you. For walkers there is the Cossack, a light walker with an autocannon that looks pretty cool against infantry and soft skinned vehicles, and the Mammoth, which is like a T-35 with legs. Also sound weapon turrets for T-34s and KV-1s.

So there's some cool stuff.

I'm actually disappointed that there isn't more. I think the British come in with the smallest number of special troops with Automatons, Heavy infantry, a Tesla Cromwell, a variant of the Coyote with a more flexible anti-infantry load out, and two of the US walkers (Coyote and Grizzly).

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I unboxed my WGF soviets and I think I might buy another box just to have on hand before they're not long available.

Unlike the Warlord minis, they're consistently late war, with the exception that none but the officer/NCO torsos have shoulderboards. That's still better than the weird mix of standing- and fall-collars Warlord does. Also none of them are wearing random winter kit for no reason.

And there's even a female head!

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Colonial Air Force posted:

And there's even a female head!

And torso!

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Did they really not mix the two styles of winter uniform very much? Even the Tamiya kits seem to mix great coats and the padded jackets.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Charles Get-Out posted:

Did they really not mix the two styles of winter uniform very much? Even the Tamiya kits seem to mix great coats and the padded jackets.

Not in the photos I've seen. I mean I'm sure there were times, but I don't believe it was all that common.

And to be fair, that's what I'm basing it off of: photo evidence.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Not in the photos I've seen. I mean I'm sure there were times, but I don't believe it was all that common.

And to be fair, that's what I'm basing it off of: photo evidence.

Yeah, fair enough. Maybe it's a mix of "disorganized reds" bias and some sort of war montage effect.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

it's because grogs only started really caring about this since the end of the cold war

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
If I used to play DUST and have a full german army for that game how much more stuff do I have to buy to play K47?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

If I used to play DUST and have a full german army for that game how much more stuff do I have to buy to play K47?

Assuming you have proxies for all the models, you'd just need the Bolt Action dice or one of the charts that tells you what each side on a D6 corresponds to. Some stuff to use for pin markers and other status tokens, but that's optional, you can keep track of pins with more dice.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
My friend finished up his first A-10 for 6mm Team Yankee. We got the flight stands from gamecraft miniatures and the bases are huge, perfect for a little diorama. He says the next one will have a road and a burning T-72 surrounded by 30mm impacts.

I really like how it looks like its flying right at treetop level!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I am painting up some Revolutionary War miniatures and the official uniforms for the South late in the war is blue faced with blue. Was it generally the same shade or should I do something lighter so it stands out?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I am painting up some Revolutionary War miniatures and the official uniforms for the South late in the war is blue faced with blue. Was it generally the same shade or should I do something lighter so it stands out?

Given supply problems and non-standard dyes you can go with a bunch of different shades or stuff bleached by the sun or some other colours to represent lost/damaged uniform replaced on the fly.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Got a steel replacement gun barrel for my M3 Stuart, after the resin barrel broke. At the same time, broke the gun barrel on the M10 Wolverine, which turned out to have an enormous bubble in the resin, with only a hint of solid material at the surface. One step forward, and one back?

I'm thinking of getting a Rubicon M10 model, as that would give me an additional tank as well. Because gently caress resin gun barrels, that's what.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Yeah resin gun barrels are :butt:

Anyone have any good book sources on Soviet naval infantry in ww2 ?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

muggins posted:

Yeah resin gun barrels are :butt:

Anyone have any good book sources on Soviet naval infantry in ww2 ?

There really isn't much in English or much in Russian for that matter (that isn't full of propaganda since the Marines were one of the most over-propagandized portions of the Soviet military for a number of reasons). Voices From Stalingrad has some brief accounts given by some Russian Marines, mainly about the fight over the grain silo IIRC, you can probably dig up quotes from it if you google. There's a book called Blood On The Shores you can get for pennies on Amazon that covers some of the naval special operations units or the "naval commandos" as they're sometimes called (who did several very impressive operations on the Danube). If you want plates the Osprey Soviet Armed Forces (1) includes them as well.

Edit: it's also important to note that most of the pictures you see online are heavily posed shots taken for propaganda purposes and don't represent what they would have probably actually looked like in battle. The heavy weapons teams for instance almost certainly would have been fairly indistinguishable from their Red Army counterparts since they wore the long or short army jackets and helmets, same goes with mortars and flame throwers as well. In those photos you also see them often with SVTs instead of Mosins. In general the Naval Infantry favored Mosins because they were more reliable and easier to take care of at sea, they did use SVTs commonly in the large battles they took place in because the maintenance issue didn't matter as much.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Aug 7, 2016

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Everyone wants the macho Morskaya force though, cause it looks rad as gently caress.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Polikarpov posted:

My friend finished up his first A-10 for 6mm Team Yankee. We got the flight stands from gamecraft miniatures and the bases are huge, perfect for a little diorama. He says the next one will have a road and a burning T-72 surrounded by 30mm impacts.

I really like how it looks like its flying right at treetop level!

Oh man I love this. 6mm is so great for making things atmospheric. Do you have plans for a table too?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Speaking of 6mm, got a chance to play a game today.

Report: https://imgur.com/gallery/ppK2M

Me and my friends ended up talking afterwards that this system is pretty much the most fun we've ever had with minis- Black Powder can be crazy lightweight if everyone plays reasonably and the game seems to naturally generate very close, cinematic battles.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I just spent the weekend reenacting this war, so I didn't see the post earlier. I have a good source at home, I'll try and remember to look it up. That said, there are likely a number of reenactment units in the South that do this impression you could look to for research, and I'd be shocked if there wasn't at least one extant example.

I seem to recall the blue was a lighter color, as seen here: http://www.srcalifornia.com/flags/revuniforms2.htm

Thundercloud posted:

Given supply problems and non-standard dyes you can go with a bunch of different shades or stuff bleached by the sun or some other colours to represent lost/damaged uniform replaced on the fly.

That's sort of true, but if it's very late in the war, less so. After the Franco-American Alliance was in full swing it wouldn't have been unusual for most troops to be kitted out completely (but the fading is true).

Even so, for a wargame, I prefer uniformity just because it's easier to see on the table. Militia can look ragtag and mixed, but if they're Continentals I feel like it's a better visual for gaming if they match.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

There really isn't much in English or much in Russian for that matter (that isn't full of propaganda since the Marines were one of the most over-propagandized portions of the Soviet military for a number of reasons). Voices From Stalingrad has some brief accounts given by some Russian Marines, mainly about the fight over the grain silo IIRC, you can probably dig up quotes from it if you google. There's a book called Blood On The Shores you can get for pennies on Amazon that covers some of the naval special operations units or the "naval commandos" as they're sometimes called (who did several very impressive operations on the Danube). If you want plates the Osprey Soviet Armed Forces (1) includes them as well.

Edit: it's also important to note that most of the pictures you see online are heavily posed shots taken for propaganda purposes and don't represent what they would have probably actually looked like in battle. The heavy weapons teams for instance almost certainly would have been fairly indistinguishable from their Red Army counterparts since they wore the long or short army jackets and helmets, same goes with mortars and flame throwers as well. In those photos you also see them often with SVTs instead of Mosins. In general the Naval Infantry favored Mosins because they were more reliable and easier to take care of at sea, they did use SVTs commonly in the large battles they took place in because the maintenance issue didn't matter as much.

Man, this thread! I'm putting together a naval infantry impression, so I've been heavily researching a lot of this. Most photos are definitely propaganda, but it still shows proper equipment.

There were two type of naval infantry used: infantry brigades and rifle brigade (http://balagan.info/russian-naval-infantry-in-ww2). Infantry brigades were originally part of the Navy, and so they have more Navy gear (the black uniforms, for example). Rifle brigades were navy personnel under Army control with army uniforms, so no visual difference.

By the end of the war, though, even the naval infantry brigades were wearing army uniforms, because their naval kit was worn out. So you get the army green tunic and pants, but maybe still a striped shirt, the naval buckle, and if they were lucky, their Donald Duck cap.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Well, my sourcebooks unfortunately don't have much in the way of the 1779 regulations, which is where the blue-on-blue comes from. Most of the Southern units that reenact wear blue faced with red, or they wear hunting shirts.

I'm wondering if the blue-on-blue ever actually got used.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Well, my sourcebooks unfortunately don't have much in the way of the 1779 regulations, which is where the blue-on-blue comes from. Most of the Southern units that reenact wear blue faced with red, or they wear hunting shirts.

I'm wondering if the blue-on-blue ever actually got used.

I think I will try to do some in blue and blue. They are just for Sharp Practice so it is not like I will be doing hundreds of guys. It is hard to believe that there is so much information about all this stuff at all.

Thanks for all the help.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
From the general mini war gaming thread

Swagger Dagger posted:

This week's bundle of holding has a ton of Osprey games:

https://bundleofholding.com/presents/OspreyWargames

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I think I will try to do some in blue and blue. They are just for Sharp Practice so it is not like I will be doing hundreds of guys. It is hard to believe that there is so much information about all this stuff at all.

Thanks for all the help.

There's a TON of information on this stuff! Sites like Fort Ticonderoga and Williamsburg (who would be a good place to look for southern stuff) even run workshops to get reenactors in better-looking gear based on extant examples, paintings, and writings.

E: In fact, there's probably more about that than Soviet naval infantry, at least in English.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Aug 9, 2016

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I want to get a small set of the Flame of War plastic infantry for the US and Germans because I really like the models, but I'm dismayed that there's no way to get them short of buying the full boxes. Even the starter set has way more stuff than I want. No one resells the sprues on Ebay either :(

Is there a reason people do not trade or sell the sprues away? I really just want like a dozen figures from each side

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Not quite sure why no one would resell the sprues, but I don't think they're playable in those small of numbers so maybe that's it? Or possibly that the box is pretty cheap already, so 1/6 sprues wouldn't be a very good margin.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

A new challenger enters the field

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Iiiinteresting. Any idea when the period for it is? I would guess dark/Middle Ages and maybe Renaissance and classical.