Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
It wouldn't be Olympic themed if it wasn't disastrously misconceived and a drain on the people paying for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I can't imagine how getting the usual 3 greys and a blue must feel when you've paid loving real cash dollars for the stupid thing

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Overwatch: It's cheaper to actually go to Rio.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Thor-Stryker posted:

Overwatch: It's cheaper to actually go to Rio.

But far less chance of Zika

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Pumpy Dumper posted:

But far less chance of Zika

gently caress you too.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I don't think being annoyed that you have to pay money to get this is really :qq:. I've already paid a lot of money for this game and saved up credits because the understanding was that would be how it's done.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I don't think being annoyed that you have to pay money to get this is really :qq:. I've already paid a lot of money for this game and saved up credits because the understanding was that would be how it's done.

Its loving scummy, its a game for kids and teenagers with buy now limited time offer advertising that you can only get by gambling, which has been proven to be incredibly addictive and destructive. I can see this actually getting them in trouble in countries with strict gambling and advertising law.

Incredibly lovely of Blizzard imo.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

If they want people to buy skins let them buy skins don't pull this gatcha bullshit, you're not an Asian mobile dev Blizzard.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they won't get in trouble for the summer boxes, idk where you get that idea from

might get sufficient backlash from not being able to buy the items through ingame currency that they don't do it like this again tho

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I can see this actually getting them in trouble in countries with strict gambling and advertising law.

lmfao

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

if there's enough whining about it they *might* let you purchase the summer games stuff with coins, but i don't think it's very likely.

also i'm surprised that anyone would be surprised at this sort of loot box stuff. every game does this poo poo now. welcome to the future. you don't even have to look at other game genres to see it, tf2 has been doing this for years.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Is this like a limited time thing? Once the olympic games are over can you still get the stuffs

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Encouraging gambling in kids is horrible, you can't deny it's incredibly greedy and predatory.

Kerrrrrrr posted:

also i'm surprised that anyone would be surprised at this sort of loot box stuff. every game does this poo poo now. welcome to the future. you don't even have to look at other game genres to see it, tf2 has been doing this for years.

I forgot about tf2. The future is here and it stinks.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Is overwatch f2p now?

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Huxley posted:

Haha, I originally read it as every item would be the new stuff and one was guaranteed to be a skin. I'd drop a tenner on that. But if 4/5 are going to be dupes and one is going to be a stupid spray, that's insanely dumb.

Oh poo poo I read it that way too and was thinking 5 bucks for 5 skins or whatever isn't the worst way I could burn cash. But yeah, as it stands its a pretty poo poo deal.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Encouraging gambling in kids is horrible, you can't deny it's incredibly greedy and predatory.

I mean...you can get TF2 now for free.

vvv tons

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 2, 2016

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Have any of you ever played CS:GO

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
no

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
If CSGO has lasted this long Blizzard has absolutely nothing to worry about

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Duck and Cover posted:

If they want to sell me the right to use their product on their servers at their discretion they are free to advertise as such. People pay money for another copy and they get banned strictly based off ip/hardware? That's bullshit. (assuming it's true)

Late to the party but EVE online has been doing this for the better part of a decade and they are a way smaller company. So this won't be stopping and it's awesome they are doing this. They should do it with Diablo 3 as well IMO. Maybe even WoW.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

if you have proper access to a credit card to buy loot boxes you aren't a little kid

everytime you start a competitive match you're already gambling on your team not being awful so check and mate

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Zzulu posted:

Is this like a limited time thing? Once the olympic games are over can you still get the stuffs

Judging by other blizzard games: no. They will only make these available for this olympics.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

MinibarMatchman posted:

if you have proper access to a credit card to buy loot boxes you aren't a little kid

You've never seen how wily kids can be I see.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

I've sold two items for TF2 and already have enough for a new game. Good thing Valve killed it.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

MinibarMatchman posted:

everytime you start a competitive match you're already gambling on your team not being awful so check and mate

Idk about other countries but its really really easy to get visa gift cards as a child in Australia at least. I did it. gently caress I registered here in 2011 when I was 15 with a card I bought at the post office. I was buying games online for years by doing that, my parents didn't know either.

It doesn't change the fact its straight up gambling for children.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 2, 2016

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Its loving scummy, its a game for kids and teenagers with buy now limited time offer advertising that you can only get by gambling, which has been proven to be incredibly addictive and destructive. I can see this actually getting them in trouble in countries with strict gambling and advertising law.

Incredibly lovely of Blizzard imo.

Source your quotes

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Idk about other countries but its really really easy to get visa cards as a child in Australia at least. I did it. gently caress I registered here in 2011 when I was 15 with a card I bought at the post office. I was buying games online for years by doing that, my parents didn't know either.

You have to be 21 to get a credit card without a parent cosigning for it in the US, once again confirming that Australia is a Mad Max lawless wasteland.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Idk about other countries but its really really easy to get visa cards as a child in Australia at least. I did it. gently caress I registered here in 2011 when I was 15 with a card I bought at the post office. I was buying games online for years by doing that, my parents didn't know either.

how is the onus on blizzard to make sure a 15 yr old you doesn't do illegal poo poo with a card. gently caress, might as well take down the entire psn store.

i'm in favor for seeing thousands of dollars drained in a hilarious news story about overwatch loot boxes. also in favor of blizz draining money from whale accounts so they can keep churning out content

strong bird
May 12, 2009

These loot boxes are really cringey and problematic.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Zikan posted:

You have to be 21 to get a credit card without a parent cosigning for it in the US

When I was 18 (2004) Bank of America gave me a credit card without a cosigner. I just had a checking account with them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kerrrrrrr posted:

if there's enough whining about it they *might* let you purchase the summer games stuff with coins, but i don't think it's very likely.

you can buy all of the skins in tf2, can't you?

on the other hand, you gotta buy a key to open crates in that game

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Loot boxes are great cause even if I get my poo poo pushed in at least sometimes I get something nice

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Zikan posted:

You have to be 21 to get a credit card without a parent cosigning for it in the US, once again confirming that Australia is a Mad Max lawless wasteland.

I meant to say visa gift cards, forgot to type gift, but like I just saved up my money and snuck onto the bus for a bit and pocketed the fare when I wanted something. I'm saying all this because i know how easily 12 year old me would have wasted all his money on this poo poo. Kids and teenagers don't have self control like an adult does, and it's gambling, which has been proven to be awfully addictive and a big social problem. It's a really terrible and predatory business model

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Fateo McMurray posted:

When I was 18 (2004) Bank of America gave me a credit card without a cosigner. I just had a checking account with them.

New legislation introduced in 2009 (CARD Act) got rid of that and gave us the new age rules.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Veks posted:

What do you think of these? Fake or not?

Wait I just went back and saw this

I want that Tracer skin :swoon:

blizzard when????????

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Idk about other countries but its really really easy to get visa gift cards as a child in Australia at least. I did it. gently caress I registered here in 2011 when I was 15 with a card I bought at the post office. I was buying games online for years by doing that, my parents didn't know either.

i mean your point has all the appearance of being logical but kids finding their parent's credit card and racking up hundreds of dollars in stupid charges has existed since the first credit card was embossed this is not a new trend. you can probably google up thousands of clickbait stories how a kid tossed away 3 grand of their parent's money on candy crush lives or whatever. blizzard is far removed from the first company to do this kind of thing and they are far removed from implementing it the worst.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
You would think with the whole CSGO gambling thing and how much poo poo Valve has copped for facilitating that, that Blizzard would have probably rethought the design of their current summer loot boxes and how to acquire those items.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Drythe posted:

Wait I just went back and saw this

I want that Tracer skin :swoon:

blizzard when????????

You're gonna end up with every skin but the Tracer skin by the time the event is over

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

No one cares about your country's cc laws or wether blizzard or parents are responsible for children gambling.

I'd be fine with the boxes if they just made a couple changes. Like if all four items were from the Olympic set, or if dupes gave you credit towards another box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Cowcaster posted:

i mean your point has all the appearance of being logical but kids finding their parent's credit card and racking up hundreds of dollars in stupid charges has existed since the first credit card was embossed this is not a new trend. you can probably google up thousands of clickbait stories how a kid tossed away 3 grand of their parent's money on candy crush lives or whatever. blizzard is far removed from the first company to do this kind of thing and they are far removed from implementing it the worst.

I guess thats true, I guess I just expect better from a company like Blizzard to do something like this, where the chances of getting what you want are really low and especially because they push the whole limited time offer buy now thing.