Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
I made a custom scenario last night that I'm having a lot of fun playing so far. Your squad of ruthless Bounty Hunters was shot down above an unknown rim world while pursuing your latest contract. 4 members managed to survive the crash. Highly skilled and armed to the teeth, you must survive as long as possible and attempt to leave this world. Your team prides itself on leaving no witness and taking all bounties in dead rather than alive.

I modified the standard crash survivor start to give it a little more firepower:

4 Team members, each with the Psychopath trait since combat is the main focus of this play through. Alpha and Bravo are equipped with full Power Armor and Support Machine guns (from the Rimsenal mod) who have high shooting skills and soldier traits. Charlie Is a Combat Engineer who has high skill in construction, mining and decent shooting. Delta is a Combat Medic with the Medic & Religious traits, high skill in medicine and research. Charlie and Delta have Charge rifles and standard body armor. Since they are bounty hunters who rely on sheer violence and firepower, all of their social, crafting, art, growing & cooking skills are very low.

I couldn't find anywhere to set it in the scenario builder, but the rules I'm playing with are hostility to everyone. Traders, visitors, passerby's and joiners are all attacked as soon as possible regardless of the status of my colony. No outsiders are welcome whatsoever, so I'm limited to 4 colony members at most until someone dies. If a random person tries to join my colony, they are arrested and lined up against the granite wall and shot to death by a firing squad.

I picked a large world and a large map and there are 6 hostile factions to me so I'm being raided almost every day. My squad has survived with only minor gunshot wounds here and there but the durability of my superior weaponry is starting to wear down. Once things start to break down I'll be interested to see how long my guys can hold off the increasing numbers of raiders each day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
What happens if you sell an animal that someone is bonded to? Do they still get the negative mood modifier?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
It'd be nice if there was some way to 'hide' activities of one colonist from the other colonists. For example, having a secretly psychotic cannibal who operates on one end of the compound behind a number of closed doors, dismembering and slaughtering visitors, prisoners, raiders, whatever. But do this in secret so that the other colonists, who are oblivious to the murder-dungeon in their colony don't take a negative mood hit. Maybe if they stumbled into the butchery they'd instantly go insane.

I'm sure this is possible with mods!

Keep the stories coming, these are fun to read. Would also be interested in any efficient base designs you may have created. I know that having your dining room, kitchen and freezer co-located is a really good idea, at least.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

TheDK posted:

It'd be nice if there was some way to 'hide' activities of one colonist from the other colonists. For example, having a secretly psychotic cannibal who operates on one end of the compound behind a number of closed doors, dismembering and slaughtering visitors, prisoners, raiders, whatever. But do this in secret so that the other colonists, who are oblivious to the murder-dungeon in their colony don't take a negative mood hit. Maybe if they stumbled into the butchery they'd instantly go insane.

It's pretty annoying when you get a new colonist (through recruitment or even the ones that flee in from another tribe) and they immediately are hit with these mood penalties. I've had a guy that I saved, running from the side of the map, that got mood debuffs for dead colonists and nudity and had a freak out before he even got to my base. There should be some way to timestamp when things happen and if that person was not in the colony or locked up in a cell somewhere when it happened, it wouldn't affect them at a later time.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Is one AI considered better than the others? My instincts made me go Random dude every time. Also is there any explanation for a Friendly visitor going nuts with frag grenades inside your base? He didn't have a mental break. The only clue is he had a perk called Trigger-Happy, which I don't know if it just makes people go postal while in a good mood. Anyway I had to put him down and then recruit him and my trader friends hate me forever for doing that. Nobody even cared he was blowing my base to pieces, everybody ignored him.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Broken Cog posted:

What happens if you sell an animal that someone is bonded to? Do they still get the negative mood modifier?

You get a smaller modifier than if it dies but then if it dies elsewhere in the world your colonist will get the death negative mood modifier

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I'm doing a run now with a Rich Explorer who has Bloodlust and Cannibalism traits. It's pretty fun but he got sensory mechanites which is making him tired real fast and he never wants to get out of bed so I have to micromanage him or he'll go back to sleep after every job. I wish colonists could do some limited form of self medicine. It's kind of funny though that "Experiencing acute pain" is only a -15 modifier so it's more than balanced out by "Raw cannibalism" at +20

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 2, 2016

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

fart simpson posted:

I'm doing a run now with a Rich Explorer who has Bloodlust and Cannibalism traits. It's pretty fun but he got sensory mechanites which is making him tired real fast and he never wants to get out of bed so I have to micromanage him or he'll go back to sleep after every job. I wish colonists could do some limited form of self medicine. It's kind of funny though that "Experiencing acute pain" is only a -15 modifier so it's more than balanced out by "Raw cannibalism" at +20

Just change his work restrictions to anything all the time. Once they get the sleeping sickness it isn't worth trying to force them to a schedule. Especially if they end up with both mechanites at the same time and end up with like 4.x more tiredness and need to sleep every two hours

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Azhais posted:

Just change his work restrictions to anything all the time. Once they get the sleeping sickness it isn't worth trying to force them to a schedule. Especially if they end up with both mechanites at the same time and end up with like 4.x more tiredness and need to sleep every two hours

This isn't working. I just tried that and he's still not getting out of bed ever. I think he'd probably starve to death in bed if I didn't keep an eye on him.

e: Didn't matter because I accidentally uncovered an ancient danger area with 5 scythers with charge lances and a centipede with a minigun. I did pretty well as a lone colonist with a charge rifle. Took out 2 of the scythers and the centipede by ducking around a corner and blowing up one of the cryptosleep caskets but wasn't good enough.

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 2, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
There's now a mod where your colonists will no longer trigger traps.

Every single tile will be traps. :getin:

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Here is my heroic last stand i was proud of these guys they had been through so much but an infestation is not joke, we had to fight a poison spaceship that landed with 4 robots and it took days to kill them at the same time this little infestation was slowly growing bigger and bigger....

...rip another colony

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
An infestation that size you need to burn out

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

i dont know how to do that

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Nation posted:

i dont know how to do that

There are a ton of cheesy ways to deal with the infestations. For example just heating the room to 70C+ will give the bugs heatstroke. This is easier to do than freezing them.

After losing a base to infestations I have been building 3 heaters per room. If I get an infestation, I evac all nearby room and the infested room than heat everything around it as much as I can. The bugs don't seem too interested in leaving the rooms much and get cooked alive. They do have a tendency to randomly burrow through walls which is why I have to heat all the rooms around it as well. This approach has worked our well for me and minimizes collateral damage - basically you may lose the one or two colonists living in the room where the infestation spawned and maybe they'll chew up a wall or two but that's far better than what you get if you try to grande your own base or burn them out of the room by using molotovs.

This only works for me because I'm playing on a relatively cold biome so I do not need to worry about having coolers or vents. I am not sure that you would be able to overheat your rooms with vents etc.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

i have molotovs but if you use a weapon they all rush you

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Nation posted:

Don't throw it AT them. You just throw it into the room to let poo poo in there catch fire. The fire won't spread through the stone walls but everything inside the room will burn and the fire will either kill the bugs or raise the room temp to deadly levels.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

ok thanks next time i will kill some bugs

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Well, that was one of the more amusing sights I've seen in this game: someone trying to hunt a muffalo with emp grenades. Worked as well as could be expected, and pissed off the muffalo and the nearby megascarabs they had come out of some capsules.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Nation posted:

Good luck - but yeah given just how massive your spawn was and that your shaft vented outside - I think you'be screwed no matter what.

You can turn off infestations and nobody would judge you as they can wipe your base with no way to survive it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I turn off infestations, gut worms, and blight in all my games. gently caress those events.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Vasudus posted:

I turn off infestations, gut worms, and blight in all my games. gently caress those events.

Do gut worms and muscle parasites ever actually go away?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Gut worms are the best thing that could ever happen to your colony's medic. There's nothing else you can grind medicine on.

vv oh poo poo, my dude is hosed then. He's had these gutworms for a year + now, getting treatment practically every day

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 2, 2016

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Khisanth Magus posted:

Do gut worms and muscle parasites ever actually go away?

They just need X amount of treatments (8 or 10 leaps to mind, but don't take that as gospel)

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Zigmidge posted:

Gut worms are the best thing that could ever happen to your colony's medic. There's nothing else you can grind medicine on.

Untrue. You can repeatedly perform surgeries on your prisoners until you accidentally kill them. I think it's almost 2k xp per surgery. If you let your prisoners have legs, they will also frequently go berserk due to poor mood from the organ harvesting and beat each other up, then you can patch up their bruises as well.

Personally, I recommend removing a leg from each prisoner right away to avoid the chance of a prison break.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Azhais posted:

They just need X amount of treatments (8 or 10 leaps to mind, but don't take that as gospel)
Give him a fresh prisoner's stomach. Release the prisoner with no stomach. Problem solved.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

FileNotFound posted:

Personally, I recommend removing a leg from each prisoner right away to avoid the chance of a prison break.

You're...you're kinda dark.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

FileNotFound posted:

Untrue. You can repeatedly perform surgeries on your prisoners until you accidentally kill them. I think it's almost 2k xp per surgery. If you let your prisoners have legs, they will also frequently go berserk due to poor mood from the organ harvesting and beat each other up, then you can patch up their bruises as well.

Sure but that's a different story than what I was talking about. If we're talking about doing something ridiculously tedious and annoying I'd just have my doctor shoot my patient over and over.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Zigmidge posted:

Sure but if we're talking about doing something ridiculously tedious and annoying I'd just have my doctor shoot my patient over and over.

It's not that bad, you can queue up a handful of operations as part of your initial prisoner processing. They come in, you set a bill to remove a leg, and then set a handful of bills to harvest/add eyes, kidneys and so on - you don't really need to set that many because chances are that your prisoner will die at some point because your doctor will do something stupid like fail an operation and leave your prisoner to bleed out, or remove the stomach but fail on putting it back and even if it all goes well they'll probably get infection which they will find hard to survive if they happen to have a kidney removed while they have an infection.

I will say that I actually like the idea of shooting the prisoners. I had not considered that. Have you tried it? Do they turn aggressive? If not I could totally turn my prison into a gun range as I think embrasures count as walls and come to think of it I am unsure if shooting my prisoners without killing them will give negative mood to the handful of non psychopathic colonists who are able to survive in my colony.

This also gives me the idea of maybe trying to cool the prison down to the point where prisoners start getting frostbite but don't die right away so that it can be treated over and over? Maybe find the sweet spot so that they get frostbite overnight, can be treated by the doctor as the temperature rises in the morning...

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 2, 2016

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I'd love to see descriptions of how some of the botched surgeries happen. I was attempting to install a peg leg on someone's left leg and ended up with their right forearm missing after the botched surgery. From a 17 skill medic.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

FileNotFound posted:

It's not that bad, you can queue up a handful of operations as part of your initial prisoner processing. They come in, you set a bill to remove a leg, and then set a handful of bills to harvest/add eyes, kidneys and so on - you don't really need to set that many because chances are that your prisoner will die at some point because your doctor will do something stupid like fail an operation and leave your prisoner to bleed out, or remove the stomach but fail on putting it back and even if it all goes well they'll probably get infection which they will find hard to survive if they happen to have a kidney removed while they have an infection.

:stonk:

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Khisanth Magus posted:

I'd love to see descriptions of how some of the botched surgeries happen. I was attempting to install a peg leg on someone's left leg and ended up with their right forearm missing after the botched surgery. From a 17 skill medic.

My only explanation is that Rimworld surgeries are basically done via Surgeon Simulator.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I just install a mod that adds a medical training table and lets your doctor practice on corpses, so every raid is a learning opportunity

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nation posted:

You can also hock a molotov into the room at one of the hives and then sprint out of the room before they chase you, bugs aren't too fast and the fire should burn nicely. Even better if the room has flammable furniture which will raise the temperature further.

Fires indoors have a really good chance of just nuking the room temperature to levels where stuff spontaneously catches fire.

FileNotFound posted:

Give him a fresh prisoner's stomach. Release the prisoner with no stomach. Problem solved.

Best solution to gut parasites ever I think.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
What is with infestations, anyway? I don't really understand why the dev ever thought they were a good idea in the first place.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Roadie posted:

What is with infestations, anyway? I don't really understand why the dev ever thought they were a good idea in the first place.

People dig into the mountains to trivialize raids and drop pod events. Infestations punish the poo poo out of you for doing that.

I like the base concept but I hate hate hate the execution. It goes way, way overboard a lot of times.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Roadie posted:

Tynan is wildly against this becoming dwarf fortress where people just hole up in a mountain and live forever with their killboxes having fun. First pass was adding sappers. Then infestations. Presumably step 3 will have him requiring you make air vents to pump in oxygen or your people all die of co2 poisoning.

He wants a game where you struggle mightily making a spaceship and then flee the planet.

He's slowly coming around to the realization that people want a graphical DF, so maybe he'll back off slightly.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Roadie posted:

He has a hate-boner for mountain bases specifically, and successful colonies generally. Tynan has a lot of good instincts, but sometimes his sense of balance/fun is kinda wack. I think a lot of it stems from his conception of Rimworld as a "story generator" rather than a game.

I don't have the skills, but I think it would be cool if someone modded them to spawn outdoors, where they would build nests, hunt animals/colonists, and generally overrun the map if not exterminated. Obviously, this would require a revamp of their spawning code, AI, and the addition of code/art assets for insect hive structures. I really wish someone would hurry up and make a Starship Troopers mod.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Drink Cheerwine posted:

He has a hate-boner for mountain bases specifically, and successful colonies generally. Tynan has a lot of good instincts, but sometimes his sense of balance/fun is kinda wack. I think a lot of it stems from his conception of Rimworld as a "story generator" rather than a game.

I don't have the skills, but I think it would be cool if someone modded them to spawn outdoors, where they would build nests, hunt animals/colonists, and generally overrun the map if not exterminated. Obviously, this would require a revamp of their spawning code, AI, and the addition of code/art assets for insect hive structures. I really wish someone would hurry up and make a Starship Troopers mod.

At the same time I would like a Starship Troopers mod where I am the brain bug and I have to defend my peaceful bug colony against the hordes of fascist mobile infantrymen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Hav posted:

You're...you're kinda dark.

Welcome to the Rimworld thread, please enjoy your stay.