Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Calaveron posted:

So why did gamefreak make it so like four generations of games had the exact same fire fighting typing for a beginner

Burning fighting spirit!! It's the foundation of most anime fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
also he's fire/dark probably

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i used "he" there because the fire cat evo is extremely masculine, like many other mons and starters. getting something so explicitly feminine as the mermaid dog is good

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Countblanc posted:

He/She better be :colbert:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Calaveron posted:

So why did gamefreak make it so like four generations of games had the exact same fire fighting typing for a beginner

It was 3-5. At least in 3, it made sense as Blaziken was explicitly designed as a cock-fighting rooster. In 4, all of the sub-types had an advantage against their usually weak rival. Meaning, Fighting Infernape had an advantage over the part Steel Empoleon. Torterra's Ground typing gave it an advantage to Infernape's Fire typing. Empoleon's Steel typing made it take neutral damage to Torterra's Grass moves.

Your guess is as best as mine wrt Emboar, aside being based on another "Journey to the West" character, nothing else screams "Fighting" about him.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Leaked footage of Litten's evolution in action

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

Golden Goat posted:

He/She better be :colbert:

They, makes things a lot easier

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Countblanc posted:

I hope that leak about fighting-type Alakazam is real because I want to see an Alakazam with gym shorts and a dumbbell

For the record, that leak was before the new trailer, so it's probably real unless they got really lucky.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Countblanc posted:

Yeah but only in Alola, he's Fire/Fighting everywhere else

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ometeotl posted:

For the record, that leak was before the new trailer, so it's probably real unless they got really lucky.

i meant the second leak that mable posted which was supposedly by the same person and none of the info in it had been proven afaik, the one that had water arcanine and some other stuff

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

less laughter posted:

Yeah but only in Alola, he's Fire/Fighting everywhere else

you do what you have to in aloha... i don't hold it against them

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Hopefully there's different typing variations and not just fire Pokémon but ice or flying Pokemon but ground

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
maybe the different islands will have different typing themed things

i hope there's a psy/steel full moon lunatone

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

get ready for fire articuno, ice zapdos, and electric moltres

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
well we already have ground-but-now-ice/steel and grass/psychic-but-now-grass/dragon so i wouldn't worry about that

the other supposed leaks were water arcanine, dark raticate, bug/psychic butterfree, fighting alakazam, and maybe some others i dont remember

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i really want the fighting abra line to be identical to the normal ones, but they just have knives instead of spoons

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I swear to god if Litten evo isn't Fire/Ground I'm going to lose it

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

nothing about nyandre really screams ground to me sorry. except for the drawing of it lying on the ground heating up a tea kettle with its belt but that's not really relevant

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Countblanc posted:

the other supposed leaks were water arcanine, dark raticate, bug/psychic butterfree, fighting alakazam, and maybe some others i dont remember

Fighting/Flying Dodrio and Poison/Fighting Nidoroyals.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

I want another firefighter starter

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Alabaster White posted:

I swear to god if Litten evo isn't Fire/Ground I'm going to lose it

Why? So they can be X4 weak to surf?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Txn posted:

I want another firefighter starter

Alola Charizard, Alola Typhlosion and Alola Delphox are all Fire/Fighting

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Dark type is based on fighting dirty and underhanded right? Litten Evo looks like he'd be willing to grip a guy in the glans to gain the upper hand

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Litten evo is actually going to be the first double type, Fighting/Fighting. It'll have double STAB and double weaknesses. It'll have the ability Hot Headed, which lets it resist Fire and be weak against Water, Ice, and Ground.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/elizabethdanger/status/760348782529654784

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Calaveron posted:

Dark type is based on fighting dirty and underhanded right?

With one exception: pure, gallant, innocent Absol

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

So, hypothetically, would the removal of Mega Evolution be a good change? in-story it would lead to not giving you a win button halfway through at the cost of three battles in the whole game no longer relying on one mega evolution you'd be able to counterpick against, and in the meta it'd mean no more Mega Khanhaskan in 85% of tournament teams, or the other four megas that get picked, plus no more Primal Groudon & Kyogre in VGC all the time. Only negative I can think of is that Charizard had a good time with its Y evolution.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Am I the only person who thought Exeggutor was already pretty creepy looking and its new form just makes it incredibly unnerving?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I think it would be good. I feel that if they are going to be lazy about making new Pokemon, the variations are more interesting to me and from a battling perspective on account of not being completely broken.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

So, hypothetically, would the removal of Mega Evolution be a good change? in-story it would lead to not giving you a win button halfway through at the cost of three battles in the whole game no longer relying on one mega evolution you'd be able to counterpick against, and in the meta it'd mean no more Mega Khanhaskan in 85% of tournament teams, or the other four megas that get picked, plus no more Primal Groudon & Kyogre in VGC all the time. Only negative I can think of is that Charizard had a good time with its Y evolution.

Game Freak definitely knows at this point that things like Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Salamence, and the Primals went overboard. Whether that means they'll try to nerf those Megas or just abandon the Mega mechanic altogether, we don't know. The Z-Move mechanic seems like a way to reintroduce a limited version of the type gems (which were almost all removed in Gen 6) while also replicating the once-per-battle principle behind Megas.

If they have decided to get rid of Megas, these alternate regional forms with different stats and typings could eventually be a neat way to reintroduce some of the good Mega designs. For example, it seems like it would be feasible to have an alternate Fire/Dragon Charmander line.

But we also know that Game Freak is loathe to retcon things even when they really should (like Nidorina and Nidoqueen remaining infertile because of a mistake in Gen 2).

Zoran fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 2, 2016

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I don't want Megas to no longer be a thing, because I really like how it lets some underappreciated Pokemon shine and gives hope to those Pokemon that have terrible stats that they can be usable one day. And it's cool to see even further designs and some nice tactical stuff with how Megas work. I think having both Megas and Z-Powers would be crazy fun and I don't see why they would put all the effort of designing all these "new" Pokemon, creating models and animations, as well as tweaking movesets to benefit the new Megas to just throw all that work away after 3 years.

Would also suck for Mawile, Kangaskhan, et al to just become worthless trash again after getting their time to shine and actually be good.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Alright, how many of you thought of this when you saw Z-Powers? :colbert:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The man called M posted:

I thought of this.

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008
Arceus Code to whoever gets it first!

A5Z4FPY86SPF6TMT

Thank the manager at my gamestop for this, since he actually asked me how many codes I wanted. I didn't want to be a mega hog so I just asked for two, but he clearly likes me after we bonded over our mutual love of the Zero Escape series. :3: If there's another gamestop disribution and he's working the day I go in, I'll ask for three next time.

Nevileen fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 2, 2016

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Nevileen posted:

Arceus Code to whoever gets it first!

A5Z4FPY86SPF6TM

Thank the manager at my gamestop for this, since he actually asked me how many codes I wanted. I didn't want to be a mega hog so I just asked for two, but he clearly likes me after we bonded over our mutual love of the Zero Escape series. :3: If there's another gamestop disribution and he's working the day I go in, I'll ask for three next time.

this is missing a letter or number. it's one too short

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008

Kelp Plankton posted:

this is missing a letter or number. it's one too short

Whoops, lemme grab the card again and fix that. Sorry!

Fixed! I forgot the T at the end. Lemme know if that works now.

Nevileen fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 2, 2016

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Kelp Plankton posted:

i really want the fighting abra line to be identical to the normal ones, but they just have knives instead of spoons

I see you've played Knifey-Spoony before!

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

The man called M posted:

I'm a huge Saint Seiya fan, but nope.

To me, it actually reminded me of Avatar, specially the little dance move the trainer does when using Water Z-power

Also, I too do hope that Mega Evos died on their way back to their home planet. I mean, plot wise, they shouldn't be present anywhere else outside of Kalos and ORAS...well ALTUHRNATE UNIVUHRS!

Meta-wise they completely thrashed any sense of balance.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 2, 2016

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I would appreciate it if the Mega stones for the pokemon that were already super good like Tyranitar and Salamence just quietly didn't show up in gen 7, Parental Bond got some kind of nerf like the guy's been saying it should, and things like Mega Pidgeot and Mega Beedril got to stay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

parental bond got nerfed by virtue of no longer existing in gen vii

• Locked thread