Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
edrith
Apr 10, 2013

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Oh there have been times in American history where racism was definitely created by the upper class. At the least I would say rich folk have exasperated racial tension when it benefits themselves. Unfortunately when that happens, the racism sticks around long past its utility to the rich.

Rich southern slave owners created (really copied) a brutal system of racism to keep poor whites from finding unity with the poor blacks.

Hell, anytime the economy is not doing well, just use some race as a scape goat. Oh white folk don't have jobs? It's the drat Mexicans fault! People eagerly gobble up that poo poo.

What I am trying to say is eat the rich.

This is from a few pages back but that's...really not how racism works. Racial scapegoating in times of economic stress is of course a thing, and rich slave owners might have exploited racism along those lines, but they didn't "create" a brutal system of racism, and they didn't create chattel slavery out of whole cloth. If you want to understand the history of racism in America, you have to understand the history of racism (and Islamophobia, and especially antisemitism, because a lot of antisemitic tropes were borrowed to define new-discovered Native Americans/used to justify their enslavement/etc) in pre-Age of Discovery Europe. Racism has never been solely about class or money and it has rhetorical roots that date back to ancient Greece.

Check out the compendium Race in Early Modern England by Ania Loomba and Jonathan Burton; it's mostly a collection of primary sources and it's easy to pick out tropes from modern mainstream racist discourse in these texts from, like, 1430. It's commonly available in university libraries, and you can easily find a PDF of the whole thing online. Class issues are obviously important, but they're not anywhere near the only thing that drives American racism.

Eating the rich is of course a very good goal but it's not gonna kill racism in the cradle.

Also, gently caress an Eric Trump for saying his sister would choose not to be sexually harassed. I guaran-goddamn-tee that she has been sexually harassed at least twice a week every week of her life since she's turned ten, because that's the reality for women, especially women whose male social circle consists mainly of silver-spoon entitled brats who can use their trust funds to make rape accusations go away. Him saying this makes me think he makes women uncomfortable and thinks because there wasn't a verbal "Stop doing that" he didn't do anything wrong. Let your sister speak, you cretinous axolotl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
We now have video evidence of the Trump baby incident, edited brilliantly into a Vine: https://vine.co/v/5AFAzwhubeZ

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Goatman Sacks posted:

The problem is most anti-free trade documentaries are basically Riefenstahl films that had "Jews" Citrl-H'd to "Globalists", and people are sick of dealing with it. Anti-Semitism is on the rise on the right.

It's not like it ever went away. The American Right glorifies Zionism (as in literal right-wing Jewish nationalism for Israel) the same way it glorifies the American soldier. Soldiers are useful when they're in posters on the back of the recruiter's office, not as real people with real problems that need real solutions and who might not always agree with you.

They don't like Jewish people, they're just considered useful or necessary to the religious right (to fulfill their inane prophecies) and the neoconservatives (to further geopolitical goals).

gregday
May 23, 2003

edrith posted:

Also, gently caress an Eric Trump for saying his sister would choose not to be sexually harassed. I guaran-goddamn-tee that she has been sexually harassed at least twice a week every week of her life since she's turned ten, because that's the reality for women, especially women whose male social circle consists mainly of silver-spoon entitled brats who can use their trust funds to make rape accusations go away. Him saying this makes me think he makes women uncomfortable and thinks because there wasn't a verbal "Stop doing that" he didn't do anything wrong. Let your sister speak, you cretinous axolotl.

There's almost certain probability that she's been harassed by her own father. I believe we saw a glimpse of that at the convention.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

edrith posted:

This is from a few pages back but that's...really not how racism works. Racial scapegoating in times of economic stress is of course a thing, and rich slave owners might have exploited racism along those lines, but they didn't "create" a brutal system of racism, and they didn't create chattel slavery out of whole cloth. If you want to understand the history of racism in America, you have to understand the history of racism (and Islamophobia, and especially antisemitism, because a lot of antisemitic tropes were borrowed to define new-discovered Native Americans/used to justify their enslavement/etc) in pre-Age of Discovery Europe. Racism has never been solely about class or money and it has rhetorical roots that date back to ancient Greece.

Check out the compendium Race in Early Modern England by Ania Loomba and Jonathan Burton; it's mostly a collection of primary sources and it's easy to pick out tropes from modern mainstream racist discourse in these texts from, like, 1430. It's commonly available in university libraries, and you can easily find a PDF of the whole thing online. Class issues are obviously important, but they're not anywhere near the only thing that drives American racism.

Eating the rich is of course a very good goal but it's not gonna kill racism in the cradle.

Please don't insult axolotls like that.

Anyway, racism may not have roots in class warfare, but they're entangled now that they're pretty much one in the same, especially here since most of the poor, urban areas do tend to be overwhelmingly black, and the poor white areas tend to be overwhelmingly racist (and gods forbid if a black person gets any of /their/ welfare).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I admit that the rumors about Trump and his daughter are really gross and inappropriate, at least to me. I don't care if one out-of-context shot looks weird or if he made a dumb comment about his daughter at some point, the rumormongering that he literally attempts to molest his daughter feels like the worst kind of baiting.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/760531542317764608

hillary subtweet game on point

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

iospace posted:

Please don't insult axolotls like that.
Yeah, what the gently caress did this guy ever do to you?

:3:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I admit that the rumors about Trump and his daughter are really gross and inappropriate, at least to me. I don't care if one out-of-context shot looks weird or if he made a dumb comment about his daughter at some point, the rumormongering that he literally attempts to molest his daughter feels like the worst kind of baiting.

I was thinking about this the other day. Like, the grossness of speculation is only lessened if the accusations are true, but that's a whole other kind of grossness!

I don't think that Trump can feel sexual attraction for other people so it's kind of like when Michael Jackson had kids sleep over, they really don't get what they're doing is creepy.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

ImpAtom posted:

quote:

At 69, he can still carry on like the teen who was yanked out of prep school and delivered to Col. Dobias, the take-no-poo poo instructor at the military academy. After I met Ivanka and praised her to her father, he said, “Yeah, she’s really something, and what a beauty, that one. If I weren’t happily married and, ya know, her father . . . ”

quote:

“It would be really disappointing — not really — but it would depend on what’s inside the magazine. I don’t think Ivanka would do that, although she does have a very nice figure. I’ve said if Ivanka weren’t my daughter, perhaps I’d be dating her.”

quote:

“You know who’s one of the great beauties of the world, according to everybody? And I helped create her. Ivanka. My daughter, Ivanka. She’s 6 feet tall, she’s got the best body. She made a lot money as a model—a tremendous amount.”

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

He says and does a lot of creepy poo poo with his daughter!

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
In case you needed another reason to like him, Diamond Joe performed a same-sex marriage for two staffers at the Naval Observatory.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

It's not like it ever went away. The American Right glorifies Zionism (as in literal right-wing Jewish nationalism for Israel) the same way it glorifies the American soldier. Soldiers are useful when they're in posters on the back of the recruiter's office, not as real people with real problems that need real solutions and who might not always agree with you.

They don't like Jewish people, they're just considered useful or necessary to the religious right (to fulfill their inane prophecies) and the neoconservatives (to further geopolitical goals).

Left antisemitism is also a thing - especially, I have found, in younger circles. Israel Bad, Israel Jewish state, therefore all Jews support Israel - conclusion: Jews Bad.

The joke is that conservatives say "I'm not antisemitic, I'm a Zionist!" and liberals say "I'm not antisemitic, I'm just anti-Zionist!"

iospace posted:

Anyway, racism may not have roots in class warfare, but they're entangled now that they're pretty much one in the same, especially here since most of the poor, urban areas do tend to be overwhelmingly black, and the poor white areas tend to be overwhelmingly racist (and gods forbid if a black person gets and of their welfare).

Oh, I'm not denying that, I'm just saying that complete economic equality won't necessarily instantly destroy racism. Ta-Nehisi Coates put out a few articles about this during Bernie's February surge, the first of which lays out the problem very well:

Ta-Nehisi Coates posted:

There is no need to be theoretical about this. Across Europe, the kind of robust welfare state Sanders supports—higher minimum wage, single-payer health-care, low-cost higher education—has been embraced. Have these policies vanquished racism? Or has race become another rubric for asserting who should benefit from the state’s largesse and who should not? And if class-based policy alone is insufficient to banish racism in Europe, why would it prove to be sufficient in a country founded on white supremacy? ...

We now know that for every dollar of wealth white families have, black families have a nickel. We know that being middle class does not immunize black families from exploitation in the way that it immunizes white families. We know that black families making $100,000 a year tend to live in the same kind of neighborhoods as white families making $30,000 a year. We know that in a city like Chicago, the wealthiest black neighborhood has an incarceration rate many times worse than the poorest white neighborhood. This is not a class divide, but a racist divide.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/01/bernie-sanders-liberal-imagination/425022/

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

edrith posted:

Left antisemitism is also a thing - especially, I have found, in younger circles. Israel Bad, Israel Jewish state, therefore all Jews support Israel - conclusion: Jews Bad.

The joke is that conservatives say "I'm not antisemitic, I'm a Zionist!" and liberals say "I'm not antisemitic, I'm just anti-Zionist!"

That's probably fair and I don't disagree, yes. In the particular context I was responding to (Redditors getting mad about globalist conspiracies and international trade deals), however, I don't imagine most of them are left-wing anti-Semites.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If it wasn't for 20-30 years of propaganda, there's no way people would think that Hillary was less personable than loving Donald Trump.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
It's now the patriotic duty of any parent with a colicky baby to bring that baby to a Trump rally.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

I loving hate having to defend trump, but he's a narcissist. If he says something positive about someone, he has to frame it in some way related to himself. Just because he can't control his narcissism doesn't mean he'd gently caress his daughter. If there was any evidence beyond Trump acting like a narcissistic buffoon, it would be more warranted. It's still annoying as poo poo rumormongering and honestly on the same level as most of the poo poo propaganda against clinton.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I agree, there are a zillion other things to attack him on that come with way more substantial evidence that anything untoward happened and are way more relevant to his fitness for the presidency and don't make everyone involved feel creeped out to talk about.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Trump has repeatedly said he would date his daughter if she weren't his daughter. Are you willfully stupid or truth is in the middle stupid?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

kaleedity posted:

I loving hate having to defend trump, but he's a narcissist. If he says something positive about someone, he has to frame it in some way related to himself. Just because he can't control his narcissism doesn't mean he'd gently caress his daughter. If there was any evidence beyond Trump acting like a narcissistic buffoon, it would be more warranted. It's still annoying as poo poo rumormongering and honestly on the same level as most of the poo poo propaganda against clinton.

Your theory falls apart when you look at Trump's comments about Putin.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Trump has repeatedly said he would date his daughter if she weren't his daughter. Are you willfully stupid or truth is in the middle stupid?

What a weird thing to get super mad about

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

kaleedity posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diMp241gAcw

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

Trabisnikof posted:

Your theory falls apart when you look at Trump's comments about Putin.

Which theory, and which comments, please. Additionally, can you explain how Trump sees Putin differently from himself?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Court: Super PACs can be named after candidates.

I don't believe Trump has actually molested his daughter.

But on the other hand, gently caress Donald Trump. If he's going to say and do (insert RNC .gif of him and Ivanka on stage) creepy poo poo, he deserves to be labeled as the creepy old gently caress he is.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
We're less than a week out of the conventions at this point and I have no idea where this election is going to end up but I honestly can't wait to see how it gets there. :allears:

It was worth the week of RNC Arzying for everything that's happening now. This election is the gift that keeps on giving.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It's also loving hilarious, I mean if it was prominent Democrats trying to use it as a line of attack I'd agree, as it is people on some forums making fun of him for it is not that big a deal

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

Thanks for agreeing.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I want a Star Wars lego set for my birthday too

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
Rep. Richard Hanna, a Republican from New York, is voting for Hillary.

quote:

I do not expect perfection, but I do require more than the embodiment of at least a short list of the seven deadly sins.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Edmund Lava posted:

I understand Utah but what's going on with Georgia? Does Atlanta's population really swing the whole state that hard?

the atlanta metro is a massive sprawl and has about half of the state's population - 5.2 million residents of the atlanta CMSA vs about 10.5 million in the state. but the atlanta metro includes miles of deep red suburbs - i'd say there's probably a core of ~2 million dem voters in the central urbanized area, about 60% of whom turn out to vote

the three big factors shifting georgia blue are

-growing, young black population due to internal migration as black americans move to the sunbelt,
-a growing immigrant population (legal and illegal from mexico and points further south, and increasing numbers of south and east asian immigrants, particularly wealthy or religious koreans),
-urbanizing white liberal young adults from across the south

atlanta punches above its weight in terms of education and cultural amenities, which is a big attractor for young people who don't want to move to LA or NYC. i doubt georgia will go blue this election but it could and in 2-4 more electoral cycles georgia will be a swing state

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He's also retiring after this term.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

#pacifytrump

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Paul Ryan is going to have to release a pro-baby press statement today lmao

The political death of Paul Ryan might be my favorite non-Trump Trump story.

And now for the latest dispatch from the psychos at Breitbart, desperately trying to find a way to smear the father of a fallen soldier:

:siren:Panic Mode: Khizr Khan Deletes Law Firm Website that Specialized in Muslim Immigration:siren:

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Head staffers like that are the ones who really run things on committees and for them to get swapped out when the Chair leaves isn't all that unusual. Could just as easily be new Chair wanting someone new as it is that person doing something wrong.

zoux posted:

I don't think that Trump can feel sexual attraction for other people so it's kind of like when Michael Jackson had kids sleep over, they really don't get what they're doing is creepy.

Doesn't he like habitually cheat on his wives with good looking twenty-somethings?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Granted, he's on is way out, but seeing how horrible Trump is admitted by Republicans is always welcome. Too bad so few admit that it was their stances that allowed this orange money golem to take control of their rubes.

TheBigAristotle posted:

The political death of Paul Ryan might be my favorite non-Trump Trump story.

And now for the latest dispatch from the psychos at Breitbart, desperately trying to find a way to smear the father of a fallen soldier:

:siren:Panic Mode: Khizr Khan Deletes Law Firm Website that Specialized in Muslim Immigration:siren:

This is almost as funny as their story that the media was apologetic after Trump said he was "just kidding" about asking Russia to hack the DNC more.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

You just know Tim Kaine wants to build that LEGO set with the kids.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Oh my god

I live near Sparta. I can't wait until this state swings. I'm sick of my home being this disgusting.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

kaleedity posted:

Which theory, and which comments, please. Additionally, can you explain how Trump sees Putin differently from himself?

Your theory is that Trump can only say nice things about others framed within a compliment for himself and thus him saying "I would date my own daughter" isn't creepy, right?

Trump has said many nice things about Putin without framing it within a self-styled compliment.

quote:

America is at a great disadvantage. Putin is ex-KGB, Obama is a community organizer. Unfair.

quote:

against allegations the Russian leader has ordered the killings of journalists.

"He's running his country and at least he's a leader, unlike what we have in this country," Trump said on MSNBC's "Morning Joe." "I think our country does plenty of killing also."

So no, I think there's more to Trump's creepy sexist comments about his daughter than he's just self-centered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Oh my god

I live near Sparta. I can't wait until this state swings. I'm sick of my home being this disgusting.

Sorry, the Supreme court said that keeping these states under preclearance was wrong because the politicians only re-instated it because they were afraid people wouldn't vote for them if they didn't.

. . . . .

• Locked thread