Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

KidDynamite posted:

Don't pay above MSRP for the RS. MSRP is fine let the dealership get some scratch for actually getting you the car.

How did you find out about my "special price"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Pryor on Fire posted:

Just zooming out a bit with gas as cheap as it is small car sales are getting absolutely murdered right now, and Ford missed earnings expectations by a wide margin today calling out the car segment specifically as a huge pain point. Wouldn't surprise me if they don't really commit to the RS in a big way.

I just want to see one for less than retail, then I'm actually interested in driving.

The RS isn't relevant to Ford's earnings, and you're not going to get one for less than MSRP because they are going to be supply constrained not demand constrained.

PaintVagrant posted:

I am thinking with the various discounts something like 23k otd for a base model?

If you wait for a month or so when the 17s hit lots, you should probably be able to do better.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The RS isn't relevant to Ford's earnings, and you're not going to get one for less than MSRP because they are going to be supply constrained not demand constrained.

If you wait for a month or so when the 17s hit lots, you should probably be able to do better.

Yeah they are running 0% apr now, I assume towards the end of the year they will do it again.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Any of you guys do any mild towing with your FoSTs? It looks like getting a hitch mounted because of the center exhaust is kind of bitchy, but can be done. Im talking about towing about 1000 lbs of motorcycle and gear occasionally, or throwing some garage sale furniture in the trailer. That kind of low weight stuff.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Installed my plates just now on my '16 GTI. I used a US Millworks front tow hook adapter and when I got to the rear, the dealer installed method is...wood screws directly into the bumper??? Seriously, VW? They didn't even get them loving level! And I don't even feel like they're secured that well because it felt like I was about to strip them and I didn't want that to happen.

Albeit extremely minor, this is the first thing I've encountered on the car that has really dissatisfied me. Otherwise, it's been a pretty nice little car for the first 2500 miles.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Installed my plates just now on my '16 GTI. I used a US Millworks front tow hook adapter and when I got to the rear, the dealer installed method is...wood screws directly into the bumper??? Seriously, VW? They didn't even get them loving level! And I don't even feel like they're secured that well because it felt like I was about to strip them and I didn't want that to happen.

Albeit extremely minor, this is the first thing I've encountered on the car that has really dissatisfied me. Otherwise, it's been a pretty nice little car for the first 2500 miles.

What trim level do you have? Manual or DSG? I think I am going to wait for the '17 GTI Sport. It has cloth, PP and LP together for around $30k. I've tried to buy 2 of the 3 S with DSG, LP and PP in the US but the dealers continue to be asshats so it didn't work out. I was willing for fly to CA or DC to get one (I'm in FL) but both dealers started their shenanigans so I bailed out.

I would love to hear your impressions of the GTI. I test drove an R last week and loved it, but I don't want to spend that much money. The DSG was a little sluggish at low speed so I would have to adjust to that. From what I've read the GTI is 90% of the R for less money. Sounds good to me.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

So I've been talking to dealers looking around for a Focus RS and was just told 20k dealer markup from a dealer in Sacramento. I couldn't hold back the laughter as I was hanging up. Are people actually paying that for this car?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

DirtyFalcon posted:

So I've been talking to dealers looking around for a Focus RS and was just told 20k dealer markup from a dealer in Sacramento. I couldn't hold back the laughter as I was hanging up. Are people actually paying that for this car?

Dealer in socal told me 30k, and they already sold a GT350 with a 25k mark up.

So yes.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Yep, the bumpers don't come drilled from the factory. I drilled holes in my bumper cover, inserted plastic threaded grommets, and then bolted into those.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Radiohead71 posted:

What trim level do you have? Manual or DSG? I think I am going to wait for the '17 GTI Sport. It has cloth, PP and LP together for around $30k. I've tried to buy 2 of the 3 S with DSG, LP and PP in the US but the dealers continue to be asshats so it didn't work out. I was willing for fly to CA or DC to get one (I'm in FL) but both dealers started their shenanigans so I bailed out.

I would love to hear your impressions of the GTI. I test drove an R last week and loved it, but I don't want to spend that much money. The DSG was a little sluggish at low speed so I would have to adjust to that. From what I've read the GTI is 90% of the R for less money. Sounds good to me.

I've got an SE Manual with PP, LP, and DCC. I haven't driven an R, and I haven't really driven this car that hard yet. I tested the DSG and experienced the low/slow speed weirdness you mention and decided to go with the 6 speed. The clutch is a little vague but there are a couple mods that people on the forums have had good experiences with (CDV delete and removing the clutch pedal assist spring). After that, I'll probably install an upgraded shifter bushing kit and the VW DG Springs, and then I'll be happy with how everything is.

The seats are really good in this car, too, but I'm not sure how the options work and if the cloth ones are the same, but I really like mine. The ride is good, but I leave it in Sport mode 99% of the time and I don't know how that transfers to a non-DCC car.

The GTI Sport sounds cool, but have you considered ordering a car to your spec? Your local dealer should be willing to help you with that unless they're jackasses. Some just want to sell what's on the lot.

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008

DirtyFalcon posted:

Sounds like you went to Future Ford.

I laughed at them too and then got mine ordered at Downtown Ford at MSRP.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

The Pell posted:

Sounds like you went to Future Ford.

I laughed at them too and then got mine ordered at Downtown Ford at MSRP.

That's them.
Called Downtown, but they didn't have any left and didn't know about 2017.

Have a dealer in Denver that has 6 2017 allocations. for 2k markup.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Those RS markups are stupid.

If you're willing to pay a 30k markup you could get an M3 instead.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Are GTIs still going for silly amounts off?

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

I've got an SE Manual with PP, LP, and DCC. I haven't driven an R, and I haven't really driven this car that hard yet. I tested the DSG and experienced the low/slow speed weirdness you mention and decided to go with the 6 speed. The clutch is a little vague but there are a couple mods that people on the forums have had good experiences with (CDV delete and removing the clutch pedal assist spring). After that, I'll probably install an upgraded shifter bushing kit and the VW DG Springs, and then I'll be happy with how everything is.

The seats are really good in this car, too, but I'm not sure how the options work and if the cloth ones are the same, but I really like mine. The ride is good, but I leave it in Sport mode 99% of the time and I don't know how that transfers to a non-DCC car.

The GTI Sport sounds cool, but have you considered ordering a car to your spec? Your local dealer should be willing to help you with that unless they're jackasses. Some just want to sell what's on the lot.

Yeah I thought about ordering but '16 production has ended. I'm pretty much sold on the Sport which should be at dealers in a month or two. I considered an SE, but would prefer the lower cost and cloth and no sunroof. I'm really done with shifting, so the DSG is a must for me also.

To the other poster asking about $ off on GTI's, yes dealers here in FL are marking off thousands, some cars up to $5k off. The dealers seem to be doing some shenanigans with the financing offers, though. I came real close to flying to a DC area dealer to buy an S with DSG, PP and LP but then they told me I couldn't use the 0% for 60 months or the 1.9% for 72 months (which is all over the VW site). My credit is real good so I know I would qualify for all of these but they said I would have to buy the car at 3-4% so I told them no.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Residency Evil posted:

Are GTIs still going for silly amounts off?

Yes. $3k+ depending on whether they include destination and dealer fees in the amount.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Ehud posted:

Those RS markups are stupid.

If you're willing to pay a 30k markup you could get an M3 instead.

You certainly can't get an M2. 2 year wait from the couple if dealers I've talked to

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yet the story is still "Nobody in the US wants a small fast car!" Bullshit.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KillHour posted:

Well, Focus RSs are just sitting on dealers lots. Much like how they originally wanted to sell 4500 05-07 ford GTs, but could only sell 4,038, nobody wanted them so they just sat in showrooms with $75,000 market adjustments.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My coworker with an RS just sold it for $3k over what he paid after driving it for 2 months. So that makes an RS and a Golf R bought and sold by 2 different people within the same amount of time.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Powershift posted:

Well, Focus RSs are just sitting on dealers lots. Much like how they originally wanted to sell 4500 05-07 ford GTs, but could only sell 4,038, nobody wanted them so they just sat in showrooms with $75,000 market adjustments.

Dealerships are most certainly the worst.

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008

Powershift posted:

The dealers around me all have them sitting there because they have 10-20k markups on them and aren't willing to negotiate. I'm sure they would sell at MSRP without issue.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Pell posted:

The dealers around me all have them sitting there because they have 10-20k markups on them and aren't willing to negotiate. I'm sure they would sell at MSRP without issue.

:thejoke:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

fknlo posted:

My coworker with an RS just sold it for $3k over what he paid after driving it for 2 months. So that makes an RS and a Golf R bought and sold by 2 different people within the same amount of time.

So what is he going to buy instead? I'm not sure if I would make that decision. 3k is not enough for the enjoyment I get out of the car.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KidDynamite posted:

So what is he going to buy instead? I'm not sure if I would make that decision. 3k is not enough for the enjoyment I get out of the car.

He's not entirely sure. There's a lowish mileage s2000 in Iowa he might go look at over the next few days. I know he has been looking at them for a while since he would have called the guy I bought my s2000 from if his RS hadn't been arriving soon. He's an older guy that goes through a decent number of cars. I'm not sure what all he has had but I know before the RS he had a FiST.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KillHour posted:

Mostly its that small fast cars don't have a huge profit margin.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

Mostly its that small fast cars don't have a huge profit margin.

I somehow think that at $40k, Ford is probably doing just fine on the RS.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

IOwnCalculus posted:

Not nearly what they make on an f150 or any of their suvs.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

They're making money but I doubt the margins are that high. Maybe 3x the average Focus margins?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
My point was, the balance sheet isn't worth focusing (heh) on small cars vs the giant suvs that the average fat family of 5 wants.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I doubt there's much of a business case for the GT350 or ford GT either.

If you focus entirely on the balance sheet, you end up with FCA which is pretty much just jeep and ram now.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Those cars get people excited though, they're almost (basically) advertising for the normal version of the product.

Some kid out there might lust for a Focus RS, but can't afford it, but that might get him to the dealer to try a FoST or even a Focus SE (with sport appearance pkg) and result in a sale. Same for the Mustang. Looking just at the Focus RS and ignoring everything else it probably loses money for Ford when you figure in development costs. You can't buy the kind of advertising and excitement the RS product brings to potential car buyers though. The hoonigan guy is out there in a RS and he seems popular to the youngins.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

skipdogg posted:

Those cars get people excited though, they're almost (basically) advertising for the normal version of the product.

Some kid out there might lust for a Focus RS, but can't afford it, but that might get him to the dealer to try a FoST or even a Focus SE (with sport appearance pkg) and result in a sale. Same for the Mustang. Looking just at the Focus RS and ignoring everything else it probably loses money for Ford when you figure in development costs. You can't buy the kind of advertising and excitement the RS product brings to potential car buyers though. The hoonigan guy is out there in a RS and he seems popular to the youngins.

this is the theory brought to you by marketing weenies that can't measure poo poo

i'm pretty much not sold on it actually working, but as long as it funds cool stuff i'm ok with it

i also don't think traditional car advertising does jack poo poo either

Powershift posted:

I doubt there's much of a business case for the GT350 or ford GT either.

If you focus entirely on the balance sheet, you end up with FCA which is pretty much just jeep and ram now.

isn't that kind of inaccurate considering the money they put in to Fast Stuff (and Alfa lol)?

DeathbyMisadventure
Apr 2, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Radiohead71 posted:

Yeah I thought about ordering but '16 production has ended. I'm pretty much sold on the Sport which should be at dealers in a month or two. I considered an SE, but would prefer the lower cost and cloth and no sunroof. I'm really done with shifting, so the DSG is a must for me also.

To the other poster asking about $ off on GTI's, yes dealers here in FL are marking off thousands, some cars up to $5k off. The dealers seem to be doing some shenanigans with the financing offers, though. I came real close to flying to a DC area dealer to buy an S with DSG, PP and LP but then they told me I couldn't use the 0% for 60 months or the 1.9% for 72 months (which is all over the VW site). My credit is real good so I know I would qualify for all of these but they said I would have to buy the car at 3-4% so I told them no.

When I was looking there was fine print that said if you used VW financing you weren't eligible for any other incentives, whether or not that is up to the dealer's discretion I don't know, but they were all that way from what I saw in TX. If you haven't already, I'd go to a credit union or 3 and get quoted a rate, I was able to get like 1.6% from one but ended up going with the dealer for a very slightly higher rate but they said if I financed through them they would take another $1300 off the car. Made me wonder just how much they get for arranging financing since they set me up with Wells Fargo for what ended up being a dollar more a month on the payment, I have no idea how this worked out in their favor.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

DeathbyMisadventure posted:

When I was looking there was fine print that said if you used VW financing you weren't eligible for any other incentives, whether or not that is up to the dealer's discretion I don't know, but they were all that way from what I saw in TX. If you haven't already, I'd go to a credit union or 3 and get quoted a rate, I was able to get like 1.6% from one but ended up going with the dealer for a very slightly higher rate but they said if I financed through them they would take another $1300 off the car. Made me wonder just how much they get for arranging financing since they set me up with Wells Fargo for what ended up being a dollar more a month on the payment, I have no idea how this worked out in their favor.

Yeah, I read some of the fine print but not all so that is on me. The car I wanted in MD sold and I'm not gonna fly to CA to get the other one. I'll just wait for the '17 Sport. It is the same as the S with DSG PP & LP. They should be in dealers in a month or two. Someone on a vw board told me that it is quite common for people to buy cars at higher interest rates (to get the lower pricing for the car) and then re-finance with their lender. That seems like a pain in the rear end to me and I'd rather not have to worry about it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You can take the cash incentive offer and the dealer discount and BYO financing, you know this, right? You might miss on whatever kickback the dealer has going (which they are very, very unlikely to pass to you outside of a very specific set of circumstances) but this is why you negotiate on OTD without mentioning method of payment. Then if on the off chance the dealer is going to cut like $1300 off the negotiated price for taking their financing you say sure!

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I got the 0% with some good rebates on the back when I got my '14 FiST. The moment I still :bang: myself for is trading in my 07 impreza with 80k miles. There number wizard made it sound like a good deal, but I later figured up that they didn't give me poo poo for it. And even if they did give me the actual cost of what they said it was worth, it was still 50% or less of what I could have easily sold it for.

If I could rebuy it back for what I traded it in at, I would in a minute. It wasn't fast or anything, but that was one reliable rear end car.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

DeathbyMisadventure posted:

Dealer reserve. They probably got you bought at something like 1.4 or 1.5 and then told you they could get you in at whatever they got you at, but knocked $1300 off to get you to agree to their financing. So they "gave" you $1300 but made more than that over the term of the loan in the difference in interest amounts.

Totally legal and legit thing that pretty much all dealers do. That's why its so important to know your credit score and approximately what interest rate you can get privately before shopping.

edit to clarify that I'm not suggesting you "got had" or anything. Dealer reserve exists as a way to give the dealer some income for getting the loan, in this case, for Wells Fargo. Sometimes it can work out to be basically in both parties favor like it looks like worked out for you. Sometimes people can get approved at something like 2% but the dealer tells them they are approved at 4%, and since they might not have done any research, they take it.

GentlemanofLeisure fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 2, 2016

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You can take the cash incentive offer and the dealer discount and BYO financing, you know this, right? You might miss on whatever kickback the dealer has going (which they are very, very unlikely to pass to you outside of a very specific set of circumstances) but this is why you negotiate on OTD without mentioning method of payment. Then if on the off chance the dealer is going to cut like $1300 off the negotiated price for taking their financing you say sure!

Of course I checked my own financing and I asked them for the OTD price before we even mentioned financing. They later told me that if I used my own financing then my price for the car would be much higher, just as it would be if I took one of the good vw rates 0%-60 months or 1.9%-72 months. Either one would have forced me to pay more for the car. To get the much lower price on the car I would have to use the crappy, much higher interest rate dealer financing. The salesman told me I could re-finance on my own after the deal was done. I'd never heard of that before.

The last vehicle I bought was a '14 4Runner and I got 0% for 60 months from Toyota financing and a really good deal on the vehicle and my trade in. I understand the dealer tries to make money one way or another via car cost, financing and/or lower trade values, but what I've seen recently seems extra shady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Radiohead71 posted:

Of course I checked my own financing and I asked them for the OTD price before we even mentioned financing. They later told me that if I used my own financing then my price for the car would be much higher

And that's when I would have walked out.