Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Tamper resistant receptacles are required by code since 2014.

You can maybe argue that you're not doing "renovation" and therefore can swap like-for-like, and there are areas that aren't required to have them:
http://ecmweb.com/qampa/stumped-code-conductors-tamper-resistant-receptacles-raceways

quote:

Q. Where are tamper-resistant receptacles required?

A. All nonlocking type 15A and 20A, 125V receptacles in the following areas of a dwelling unit [210.52] must be listed as tamper-resistant [406.12].

Wall space — 210.52(A)
Small-appliance circuit — 210.52(B)
Countertop space — 210.52(C)
Bathroom area — 210.52(D)
Outdoors — 210.52(E)
Laundry area — 210.52(F)
Garage and outbuildings — 210.52(G)
Hallways — 210.52(H)

Exception: Receptacles in the following locations aren’t required to be tamper-resistant:

Receptacles located more than 5½ ft above the floor.
Receptacles that are part of a luminaire or appliance.
A receptacle located within dedicated space for an appliance that in normal use isn’t easily moved from one place to another.
Nongrounding receptacles used for replacements as permitted in 406.4(D)(2)(a).

Nonlocking type 15A and 20A, 125V receptacles in guest rooms and guest suites must be listed as tamper-resistant [406.13]. In addition, nonlocking type 15A and 20A, 125V receptacles in child care facilities must be listed as tamper-resistant [406.14].

That said, if you are going to replace receptacles, just use the tamper resistant ones because they're safer anyway. But don't do electric work on your apartment without even discussing it with your landlord because you'll be potentially taking on liability.

Also note that you should only use three-prong receptacles where you have an actual ground, or in nongrounded outlets you should use a GFCI 3-prong outlet. Otherwise you are violating code and creating a hazard by giving the impression an outlet is grounded when it isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

My problem isn't the outlets themselves being loose, it's the holes for the prongs having zero grip. I can plug something in and it will literally fall back out of the outlet. Vacuuming is an overwhelmingly frustrating experience since the tiniest tug of the cord has it tumbling out of the wall. Trying to charge something? Come back after a few hours to find you have zero charge after several hours because the charger fell out of the wall.

I'm sure someone will come tell me why this is a horrible idea, but with most electrical cords, you can bend the prongs a few millimeters out to get them to stay in loose outlets. Doesn't work so well on most wall warts though.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Leperflesh posted:

That said, if you are going to replace receptacles, just use the tamper resistant ones because they're safer anyway. But don't do electric work on your apartment without even discussing it with your landlord because you'll be potentially taking on liability.

Also note that you should only use three-prong receptacles where you have an actual ground, or in nongrounded outlets you should use a GFCI 3-prong outlet. Otherwise you are violating code and creating a hazard by giving the impression an outlet is grounded when it isn't.

I'm just gonna get the outlet splitters since i can solve my problem without loving around with wiring in a house that isn't mine. I will bring it up to the landlord as something to upgrade before they put the house back on the market and they will probably continue to ignore me.

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!
Ugh. Fuckin houses.

So my downstairs AC stopped working on Tuesday (the day before we got hit by a ridiculous 100+ everyday heatwave). Condenser unit worked, but the furnace wasn't pushing air. Got a dude out after two days, he fixed it last night, bad compressor. Thank God we have an upstairs AC Unit that worked.. we just camped up there until they could make it out to figure this poo poo out. Fast forward less than 24 hours, with the downstairs unit working like a champ all day long, and now both outside units just stopped working. Both furnaces are blowing air through the vents, but the compressors just won't work. Flipping the breaker on/off, letting them sit for a bit, I was able to get the downstairs on for about 10 minutes, but it clicked off and hasn't come back on. Upstairs unit will go on for a few minutes, and then turn itself right back off.

Seriously, what are the odds that BOTH units stop working at the same time? I'm guessing slim to none. I don't think there is anything shared between the two units though, which has got me scratching my head as to what to do. Anyone have any ideas?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Capt. Awesome posted:

a ridiculous 100+ everyday heatwave

Seriously, what are the odds that BOTH units stop working at the same time?

A/C units are most likely to break when it's super hot, because that's when they're operating at maximum capacity under maximum stress for long stretches of the day.

It is still a bit of a coincidence but if they're of similar ages and manufacture it's not that shocking.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
^^ Outlets are incredibly easy to install and only a buck or two apiece to buy in bulk, but I would refrain from doing any electrical work without the explicit permission and understanding from your landlord. Black (hot) goes to brass, white (neutral) goes to silver, green or bare (ground) goes to green. Outlets wear out over time and don't grab plugs like they should when they loosen up. New covers are cheap to

emocrat posted:

What do people here do for fire/smoke alarms? We had a minor scare the other night and are now looking at what we can do for real protection.

The nest product looked perfect, although pricey, but by all reports they straight up don't function effectively and have a high in incidence of false alarms.

Does anyone have a central station fire alarm? If so what did it cost and how difficult was the install? Does anyone know of any non nest IP enabled system? Trying to find all my options to evaluate.

Personally, I've had both the nest thermostat and protect for two years now, and I seriously couldn't be happier with both systems. I've smoked out my kitchen on several occasions, one of which caused the nest to warn me the kitchen alarm was about to go off before actually going off, which gave me time to cancel it without an ear piercing screech. The monthly verbal tests are quiet and convenient, and I also really like that I can monitor/get alerts from anywhere. Best part is, the mobile app is far better than FLIR's cameras or Smart Things or any other smart home thingy I've tried so far. Worth every penny, in my opinion. Especially because previously I had battery detectors that just died, without any notice, and I had no idea I was living with dead detectors for who knows how long, since they worked fine when I bought the house. Now that I've had a wired nest for awhile, I'm never going back to dumb detectors.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 23, 2016

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah and if you have two old A/C units working together then I'd expect one failing to sometimes be a "straw that broke the camel's back" for the other. It's too bad but doesn't actually seem that improbable

The one that was looked at by the repair guy probably just needs to be looked at again, he may have missed something or done something improperly.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

OSU_Matthew posted:

Personally, I've had both the nest thermostat and protect for two years now, and I seriously couldn't be happier with both systems. I've smoked out my kitchen on several occasions, one of which caused the nest to warn me the kitchen alarm was about to go off before actually going off, which gave me time to cancel it without an ear piercing screech. The monthly verbal tests are wrist great, and I also really like that I can monitor/get alerts from anywhere. Best part is, the mobile app is far better than FLIR's cameras or Smart Things or any other smart home thingy I've tried so far. Worth every penny, in my opinion. Especially because previously I had battery detectors that just died, without any notice, and I had no idea I was living with dead detectors for who knows how long, since they worked fine when I bought the house. Now that I've had a wired nest for awhile, I'm never going back to dumb detectors.

I think this is a good endorsement for having wired detectors, period, but I'd like to emphasize that the Nest detectors are about $100 each whereas most wired smoke detectors are only $20. If you're willing to pay extra to get alerts sent to your phone then that's fine, I just want people to be aware that lower-tech wired smoke detectors exist and work really well

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Oh so two days ago my backyard had some minor flooding, which I assumed was because I had just hosed up some piece of the drip irrigation system that I've been messing around with in that same area. It's all hooked up to a timer on the hose spout so easy enough to just close everything up, set up a hose to siphon the water out, and then let the rest dry out.

Well this morning the area was more flooded than ever, like water up to just below the ankles in a few spots. It looks like maybe there's a leak near one of the sprinkler heads. I shut off the main valve to the irrigation system, setup the siphon again, and now the whole area is basically dry. I'm really hoping that it's just a problem with one of the sprinkler valves not closing all the way and that I won't have to dig up anything or mess with the knotted mess of loving wires (holy gently caress there's a huge concrete slab separating the valves from the sprinkler timer, the wires appear to go below the god drat slab, why why why why why). The sprinkler valves are all above-ground so it'll be really easy to fix if that's the case.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

They ran conduit under the slab right? RIGHT?

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

OSU_Matthew posted:

^^ Outlets are incredibly easy to install and only a buck or two apiece to buy in bulk, but I would refrain from doing any electrical work without the explicit permission and understanding from your landlord. Black (hot) goes to brass, white (neutral) goes to silver, green or bare (ground) goes to green. Outlets wear out over time and don't grab plugs like they should when they loosen up. New covers are cheap to

Personally, I've had both the nest thermostat and protect for two years now, and I seriously couldn't be happier with both systems. I've smoked out my kitchen on several occasions, one of which caused the nest to warn me the kitchen alarm was about to go off before actually going off, which gave me time to cancel it without an ear piercing screech. The monthly verbal tests are quiet and convenient, and I also really like that I can monitor/get alerts from anywhere. Best part is, the mobile app is far better than FLIR's cameras or Smart Things or any other smart home thingy I've tried so far. Worth every penny, in my opinion. Especially because previously I had battery detectors that just died, without any notice, and I had no idea I was living with dead detectors for who knows how long, since they worked fine when I bought the house. Now that I've had a wired nest for awhile, I'm never going back to dumb detectors.

Another recommendation for Nest Protect. Yes they are $100 smoke detectors and yes, they are worth that much. Wireless interconnect between wired and battery smokes means I don't have to run wires when I add smokes in the bedrooms. They test themselves monthly when I'm not home using a built in microphone so I don't have to hear it. Low battery alerts are sent to the app instead of chirping at 3 AM. I've never had a false alarm. They detect CO. The app gives me a little peace of mind- I always think I'm going to come home from vacation to a smoking crater. It is moderately comforting knowing that I'll at least get a notification if my house burns down while I'm away without having to pay for alarm monitoring. Oh yeah, it ties in with my Rachio sprinkler controller to turn on the sprinklers if the alarm goes off to try to prevent the fire from spreading (lol).

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Does anyone want another house? I don't want mine anymore.

I started getting quotes for redoing the siding & windows back in March. Signed a contract in April. Time estimate was 4-5 days from start to finish. It's July 25th. Most of the blame falls on the weather - Texas was getting a lot of rain every couple days for like 2 months. Scheduling a siding team, windows team, and painting team in the order they needed to work was a nightmare. Finally everything was falling into place until I tried to plug my leaf blower into the outlet on the front porch. No power. I let the company know, and they spent 3 weeks trying to get ahold of/schedule their electrician. The guy finally comes out this past weekend and makes the outlet work. Unfortunately he is not a "finishing" contractor at all because the outlet looks like poo poo. To be fair it's in a dumb spot in between two layers of lap-siding, so the siding guys had put a few small pieces of siding material into a rectangle to make the outlet cover sit on one flat surface. The electrician ripped all those pieces off and threw them away. The cover has huge gaps in between it and the wall. Husband and I are afraid to be the "clients from hell" for demanding yet another fix (we've nitpicked several things along the way) so we decide to just try super-gluing the siding pieces that we dug out of the trash back into place, and would caulk all around it to really seal/set everything. I went to go screw the outlet cover into place, and learned that the inner part of the outlet has been stripped, and the screw isn't grabbing poo poo. The cover is very loose and definitely not water-tight enough for an exterior plug. I think we need to call the electrician back out to install a new plug with shiny new screw-hole that can actually hold the cover. Then will need to call out the siding team again to put "finishing" touches and create a proper flat rectangle for the cover to sit on. Maybe the whole project will be done by Christmas??

After stressing about how the hell I'm going to request this from my contact at the remodeling company without pissing someone off into doing another lovely job, I was taking my trash out to the curb when a white circle in the yard caught my eye. It's an exposed part of my sprinkler head - The piece that pops up to spray water is just gone. Not chewed up and spit out by the lawn mower. Not busted off. Simply straight up missing. I think (HOPE) it's an easy fix to DIY but I'm just so tired. I just want everything functioning as it should. Bad house. Go to your room.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

drat Bananas posted:

Does anyone want another house? I don't want mine anymore.

I started getting quotes for redoing the siding & windows back in March. Signed a contract in April. Time estimate was 4-5 days from start to finish. It's July 25th. Most of the blame falls on the weather - Texas was getting a lot of rain every couple days for like 2 months. Scheduling a siding team, windows team, and painting team in the order they needed to work was a nightmare. Finally everything was falling into place until I tried to plug my leaf blower into the outlet on the front porch. No power. I let the company know, and they spent 3 weeks trying to get ahold of/schedule their electrician. The guy finally comes out this past weekend and makes the outlet work. Unfortunately he is not a "finishing" contractor at all because the outlet looks like poo poo. To be fair it's in a dumb spot in between two layers of lap-siding, so the siding guys had put a few small pieces of siding material into a rectangle to make the outlet cover sit on one flat surface. The electrician ripped all those pieces off and threw them away. The cover has huge gaps in between it and the wall. Husband and I are afraid to be the "clients from hell" for demanding yet another fix (we've nitpicked several things along the way) so we decide to just try super-gluing the siding pieces that we dug out of the trash back into place, and would caulk all around it to really seal/set everything. I went to go screw the outlet cover into place, and learned that the inner part of the outlet has been stripped, and the screw isn't grabbing poo poo. The cover is very loose and definitely not water-tight enough for an exterior plug. I think we need to call the electrician back out to install a new plug with shiny new screw-hole that can actually hold the cover. Then will need to call out the siding team again to put "finishing" touches and create a proper flat rectangle for the cover to sit on. Maybe the whole project will be done by Christmas??

After stressing about how the hell I'm going to request this from my contact at the remodeling company without pissing someone off into doing another lovely job, I was taking my trash out to the curb when a white circle in the yard caught my eye. It's an exposed part of my sprinkler head - The piece that pops up to spray water is just gone. Not chewed up and spit out by the lawn mower. Not busted off. Simply straight up missing. I think (HOPE) it's an easy fix to DIY but I'm just so tired. I just want everything functioning as it should. Bad house. Go to your room.

Every day is a new adventure for the wallet. Oh the places your credit card will go...

Man, that sucks... When you pay out the nose for a company to take care of evening, you would expect for it all to get done without so much hassle. Thankfully I've never had to hire anyone to do anything yet, but I dread the day that comes, based on all the horror stories.

What kind of siding do you have? Vinyl? Might just be easier to replace the box yourself with a new weatherproof one, and then tack on some foam board, cutout siding, and caulk around the edges? Though that doesn't fix the principle of the issue, at least the bulk of the hard work is out of the way now

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
It's Hardie board, another $$ aspect, heh. I'm honestly okay throwing another $200 at them to just loving finish it perfectly already, I'm pretty terrible at DIY anyway. Besides I'm more attached to the idea of the stress being over than I am to my money. :homebrew:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Economic Sinkhole posted:

Another recommendation for Nest Protect. Yes they are $100 smoke detectors and yes, they are worth that much. Wireless interconnect between wired and battery smokes means I don't have to run wires when I add smokes in the bedrooms. They test themselves monthly when I'm not home using a built in microphone so I don't have to hear it. Low battery alerts are sent to the app instead of chirping at 3 AM. I've never had a false alarm. They detect CO. The app gives me a little peace of mind- I always think I'm going to come home from vacation to a smoking crater. It is moderately comforting knowing that I'll at least get a notification if my house burns down while I'm away without having to pay for alarm monitoring. Oh yeah, it ties in with my Rachio sprinkler controller to turn on the sprinklers if the alarm goes off to try to prevent the fire from spreading (lol).

I've heard some bad stories about the battery-only nests, apparently they're notorious for either going off for no reason and then ignoring silence commands, or they suddenly die and the network just silently ignores it.

I think that you're always safer with wired smoke detectors that have as little software in them as possible. As these are safety devices, you want a failure state to be noticeable and obvious, and you want to eliminate the possibility of a failure state going unnoticed. Silently sending a notification to your phone is a convenience and will be fine in the vast majority of cases, but it also poses an unnecessary risk should your phone become inaccessible when a key alarm fails. I will acknowledge that we're firmly in paranoid territory here, but statistically speaking this does mean that nests are slightly less safe

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
$150 for an electrician to come out and fix our lovely porch light switch after we tried to troubleshoot it and failed :(

Deck contractor finally finished the deck, and left one of the deck boards unscrewed in, we just noticed it popping up yesterday (it's built with "hidden" fasteners, not screwed in from the top, so we didn't notice until after it started warping up). Great attention to detail, dude who came highly recommended by neighbors!

Also had to tear out the insulation that the dumbass previous owners had installed right up against the roofing in the garage; so that's how moisture builds up to rot roofs from the inside out! But at least it kept the garage a little warmer in the winter for them!

Next up: backyard pipe needs to be replaced, deck needs to be stained, and exterior of house needs to be repainted. I don't trust a single drat contractor to do anything right (except the nice electrician dude), and I am eight months pregnant and waddling around like a goddamned hippo, but I know I'm not going to be able to do poo poo for the rest of the year after the baby arrives, so there it is.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

moana posted:

Also had to tear out the insulation that the dumbass previous owners had installed right up against the roofing in the garage; so that's how moisture builds up to rot roofs from the inside out! But at least it kept the garage a little warmer in the winter for them!

Huh, learned something new today

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

QuarkJets posted:

Huh, learned something new today

Nobody should buy a house without knowing how attic/roof decking venting works. Not only would it protect the buyers, it would hopefully head off all these screwy boneheaded "renovations" that cause so much damage.

Huh, my heating bills are high, lets jam insulation in the soffit vents! :v:

Unless you in a cape cod, it's easiest to think of the attic/roof as a vented superstructure over the living area. If you have poor insulation, you insulate the walls and ceiling of that living space (e.g. the attic floor), not the roof itself.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 26, 2016

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Yeah, my understanding of the ideal attic situation is that it should be exactly the same temperature in your attic as it is outside at all times.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Any recommendations for a decent wi-if extender? We're in the middle of moving from a duplex to a real-deal house and while I haven't tested the internet's range (AT&T's guy is working on it at the moment), I'm anticipating similar problems to our old place where the bedroom didn't have the connection speed I wanted. Since there's now room for an office, I know more tech is going to be upstairs and a few walls away from the router. I'd like to use my Vita to play my PS4 while in bed, and I've dyed extenders in the past but I don't know much about them. Do they need to be aligned with the router somehow, or do they just amplify all so-if signals they pick up? What's a good mid point between cost and quality?

Also, if anyone's dying to recommend a brand of doorbell, I need one of those too.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
So we're about 20 years into a water heater that should last 10-15. Anyone have a recommendation for where to go and what kind to get? (Electric)

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

LawfulWaffle posted:

Any recommendations for a decent wi-if extender?

There's a Home Networking Thread that can probably help.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Droo posted:

Yeah, my understanding of the ideal attic situation is that it should be exactly the same temperature in your attic as it is outside at all times.

That is both not really feasible (the roof surface absorbs quite significant amounts of energy in sunlight), and not the actual problem. A better "simple" rule (for cold climates) would that any moisture sensitive material that gets colder than the interior dew point in winter needs to be able to get some airflow to dry out.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also that applying insulation to an outside wall or to the roof requires a vapor barrier. You can insulate your attic space if you want, there's proper ways to do that. But it's more than just shoving insulation between roof joists and calling it a day.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

LawfulWaffle posted:

Any recommendations for a decent wi-if extender? We're in the middle of moving from a duplex to a real-deal house and while I haven't tested the internet's range (AT&T's guy is working on it at the moment), I'm anticipating similar problems to our old place where the bedroom didn't have the connection speed I wanted. Since there's now room for an office, I know more tech is going to be upstairs and a few walls away from the router. I'd like to use my Vita to play my PS4 while in bed, and I've dyed extenders in the past but I don't know much about them. Do they need to be aligned with the router somehow, or do they just amplify all so-if signals they pick up? What's a good mid point between cost and quality?

Also, if anyone's dying to recommend a brand of doorbell, I need one of those too.

If you can wait a few weeks ubiquiti's amplifi system looks great! I wish I had known about it a month ago.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

LawfulWaffle posted:

I honestly don't trust any extenders or repeaters. Nothing beats a good wired AP in reliability. I'd try out a powerline adapter instead.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Bozart posted:

So we're about 20 years into a water heater that should last 10-15. Anyone have a recommendation for where to go and what kind to get? (Electric)

Cheapest, most efficient you can get with the best warranty.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

couldcareless posted:

I honestly don't trust any extenders or repeaters. Nothing beats a good wired AP in reliability. I'd try out a powerline adapter instead.

Seconding this. Ideally your house will have runs of cat 5 cable, but if not, powerline adapters are handy to transmit wired signal to other rooms via electrical outlets, where you can pick it up with a wireless access point (eg any of Unifi's products). Add a switch at either end if you need more ports.

There's so much wireless interference in the 2.4 Ghz spectrum, adding a wireless repeater is usually a bad idea. They only work marginally well to begin with, and exponentially amplify usage of air time so you can't have as many clients. The key to better wireless access are more (wired) access points, on non interfering channels , with the 2.4 radio turned down low and 5 ghz radio turned up high. You can also do stuff like enable zero handoff transfer on the access points, to shuffle clients when the signal noise floor gets too high, and set up a minimum RSSI threshold to kick clients that wander too far away.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Axiem posted:

There's a Home Networking Thread that can probably help.

Ask the thread as well as I haven't updated the OP for quite some time.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!
There is a wasp nest inside my breaker box. I'd assume that I don't want to spray the thing when it's live. Ideas for getting the thing out of there?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Piss on it. Eventually the corrosion will make the hive accessible from outside.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You can schedule your utility company to come and pull the meter, if you don't have a master shutoff above the breaker panel.

An exterminator can then take care of the wasps.

As an aside, poisons are useful when you need to kill bugs you can't see - like ants, which have an underground nest. But when you're spraying directly onto insects, don't bother with expensive poison, you can kill any insect or spider with nothing more than soapy water. The soap acts as a surfactant which allows the water to coat their exoskeleton, and they immediately suffocate.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Bozart posted:

If you're DIYing it, you can just get it from a big box store (and even if you aren't, big box store installation service may be acceptable). If efficiency is important and you use a lot of hot water, a "hybrid" heat pump water heater can have a good payback, particularly in hotter climates (downside is they are relatively noisy). Otherwise, if you want to invest in durability, you can get a Rheem Marathon water heater (which have plastic tanks that won't corrode). And if you don't want that either, then they're all pretty much the same and it doesn't much matter.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Went to pay the house this month and I was greeted with a payment almost $500 more than the norm. Just had our escrow analysis by the lender, I called and found out they didn't remove our previous homeowners provider that I canceled a couple months ago, joy.
Even after adjustment, still looking at $150 more a month than before. drat tax reassessment.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

So, long story short, the previous owner of my house was leasing the hot water heater from the local energy company and did not disclose this until a couple days before closing when they offhandedly mentioned it to me while I was dropping off some money for some furniture we were buying from them. At that time they told me it was like $2 a month and that they come out and replace it at any point if it fails. Seemed like a good deal for that money, but we finally got the lease in our hands and the actual price is over $14 a month, not nearly as good of a deal.

I'm trying to figure out if I should just cancel the least and have a new unit installed, or just bite the bullet. I think technically I could make a fuss with the former owners, but they were fairly cool about other things so I'm hesitant to do so. We're planning on being here for several decades, and that Rheem Marathon tank looks pretty awesome, but apparently is electric only and we're gas. My break-even point for a good quality (Rheem "9 year") model with installation (assuming roughly $400 for install) is about 6 years, which seems fairly reasonable. Anything else I should be considering?

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
You could go tankless and take endless showers.

I would get my own water heater. What size is in there now? If it's not 40 gallons, think you'd have room for one?

If you cancel the lease, are there any service fees or penalties?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

So, long story short, the previous owner of my house was leasing the hot water heater from the local energy company and did not disclose this until a couple days before closing when they offhandedly mentioned it to me while I was dropping off some money for some furniture we were buying from them. At that time they told me it was like $2 a month and that they come out and replace it at any point if it fails. Seemed like a good deal for that money, but we finally got the lease in our hands and the actual price is over $14 a month, not nearly as good of a deal.

I'm trying to figure out if I should just cancel the least and have a new unit installed, or just bite the bullet. I think technically I could make a fuss with the former owners, but they were fairly cool about other things so I'm hesitant to do so. We're planning on being here for several decades, and that Rheem Marathon tank looks pretty awesome, but apparently is electric only and we're gas. My break-even point for a good quality (Rheem "9 year") model with installation (assuming roughly $400 for install) is about 6 years, which seems fairly reasonable. Anything else I should be considering?

I would ask the previous owners to cancel their lease (and pay whatever cost is associated with that) and then just go ahead and buy whatever heater you want.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Sperg Victorious posted:

You could go tankless and take endless showers.

I would get my own water heater. What size is in there now? If it's not 40 gallons, think you'd have room for one?

If you cancel the lease, are there any service fees or penalties?

We haven't taken over ownership yet so any fees would go to them. The contract says they have to notify the company prior to ownership change, which they apparently didn't do.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gaghskull posted:

There is a wasp nest inside my breaker box. I'd assume that I don't want to spray the thing when it's live. Ideas for getting the thing out of there?

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Spectracide-Commercial-Wasp-and-Hornet-Killer/1162515

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

BeastOfExmoor posted:

We haven't taken over ownership yet so any fees would go to them. The contract says they have to notify the company prior to ownership change, which they apparently didn't do.

Option C: Just don't pay it, it's their lease, their problem

Who leases a water heater :psyduck:

If it's any help, this is the water heater I've settled on getting to replace my electric unit. Saves~30$ a year over similar units, has the 12 year quality rating, and not too pricey. Sucks the marathon unit is electric only, otherwise I'd definitely spring for that one.

E: you may want to get larger depending on family size, but gas replenishes real quick anyways