Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

kid sinister posted:

Also, this one is kind of scary:

That lump of concrete is just sitting on top of the pavement, not attached to it.

At least that's what I'm telling myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Meh, it probably only weighs like three hundred pounds, not even worth worrying about.

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
at least if there is a fire they can crack the door open and get a breath of fresh air before they go to an actual working emergency exit.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

kid sinister posted:

Most indoor fan blades are made from fiberboard, a wood product.

Also, this one is kind of scary:

:stonklol:

Please tell me someone at least got fined there

I so desperately want to believe there is still good left in this world

Captain Melo
Mar 28, 2014

Jerry Cotton posted:

What the heck are the blades made of that they grow mold like that?

Mostly fiberboard. Combine that with 8' of water in a basement and the humidity in the house will allow so many wonderous things to grow!

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

At least they upgraded to CFLs. Their energy bills must have plummeted!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Turn it on!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's snowing! Catch a flake with your tongue!

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Jerry Cotton posted:

What the heck are the blades made of that they grow mold like that?

I thing the danglies on the fan are ice, from water leakage that caused the mold on the ceiling dripping off.

Either that, or they've rediscovered penicillin.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No, definitely mold.

Standard water damage there. I don't see any signs of fire or smoke stains, so I'm assuming flood damage. If you see the same thing but with black streaks, it's a house after firefighters put it out, but they wrote it off anyway.

Houses + Water = crazy rice farms mold. It's like we build our dwellings specifically with mold and fungus food, except we keep it too dry to consume.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What do you all keep your house at humidity wise during the summer anyways? I have one of those Aprilaire whole home dehumidifers and try to keep it at 45% but it's basically running 24/7.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GreenNight posted:

What do you all keep your house at humidity wise during the summer anyways? I have one of those Aprilaire whole home dehumidifers and try to keep it at 45% but it's basically running 24/7.

I don't worry about it in the summer since my A/C keeps the humidity down (and it can get pretty humid outside). I'm usually more concerned with winter since it gets so dry, but 45% is about what I have my humidifier set to.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

We've been popping breakers recently as the A/C went out in half the building and now there are fans plugged in EVERYWHERE.

While resetting a breaker, I decided to look at the main to see what our service was.

I was greeted with this:

Butchered used toner cartridge box held on with silver tape as guards for the main feed from the transformer outside. I didn't complain too much. I just sat in the electric room enjoying the only conditioned space on our end of the building, waiting for another breaker to pop, and possibly a firey death.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

GreenNight posted:

As far as mold is concerned, 60% is generally the magic number you're supposed to stay below, and I think the 50-60 range is generally comfortable in the summer.

Assuming the basic moisture control stuff is in place (like the basement has appropriate moisture barriers, no leaks, using bath fans when showering), what impacts how hard it to control the humidity in your home is the rate of exchange of indoor air with outdoor air. Air sealing can make it significantly easier/cheaper to maintain the humidity level you desire.

flosofl posted:

I don't worry about it in the summer since my A/C keeps the humidity down (and it can get pretty humid outside). I'm usually more concerned with winter since it gets so dry, but 45% is about what I have my humidifier set to.

In a cold climate, keeping the humidity that high can be a fairly significant risk for mold growth.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My house is 2 years old so that's probably part of it. Fresh wood giving off moisture.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
The lumber doesn't give off all that much moisture, on the order of hundreds of pints total. But poured concrete foundation walls in a basement can easily contain ten times that, so it certainly could be a factor.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

OSU_Matthew posted:

:stonklol:

Please tell me someone at least got fined there

I so desperately want to believe there is still good left in this world

It's Hobby Lobby, so perhaps a total loss in a fire is doing the Lord's Work

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

GreenNight posted:

People have control over the humidity in their homes?!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The AC and the shower are the humidity controls.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Rio is on pace to surpass sochi in building quality.

https://twitter.com/XHSports/status/759431338508320768/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

This was the main water pipe going to our house right after being replaced. Note awesome repair job by our esteemed former owners. I think our water bill is about to go down.

Not pictured: the DIY sewer drain pipes for the backyard guest house (that I also had to replace), and the backyard guest house itself, which I only discovered a few months ago was previously a chicken coop (!!!).

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 1, 2016

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

People have control over the humidity in their homes?!

Adding humidity in the winter, yes. Removing it in the summer, not as easy.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

kid sinister posted:

Adding humidity in the winter, yes. Removing it in the summer, not as easy.

A/C does some dehumidifying. But it's pretty common here in Florida to have a small portable dehumidifier running if your home relies on window mounted A/C units, and copious vent fanning in bathrooms.

This is also a world where A/C repair is considered an emergency service.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

House of filth or just peak 1960's decor?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I do commercial HVACR work here in Florida.

You can put a gallon bucket under a condensate drain of an RTU here and watch in fill up in about 10 minutes. Humidity is crazy bad here.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

ExplodingSims posted:

You do the lord's work goon sir.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

ExplodingSims posted:

You can put a gallon bucket under a condensate drain of an RTU here and watch in fill up in about 10 minutes. Humidity is crazy bad here.

The air is literally made of hot soup and rear end funk. I have no doubt that you can fill a five gallon bucket in an hour without really trying too hard.

Tell us stories! Every single commercial HVAC and especially the refrigeration installs I've seen in person have been janky as gently caress in some way. Massive corrosion and poo poo wiring jobs are the most common, but I've seen an ammonia based water chiller that made me glad I lived well upwind of it. Did you know that you can keep any breaker from tripping if you drive a screw in between the switch and the housing until it physically won't move anymore? Did you know that someone, somewhere was stupid enough to do this in the wiring cabinet of a loving ammonia based refrigeration plant?

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3761260

HVAC tales of woe.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I'm sure I've had a little bit of life taken off of me due to ammonia refrigeration.

Used to work in a meat market in high school that had a freezer that was well over 50+ years old. One day, the piping in the freezer had a leak. We probably hit one of the pipes too hard defrosting earlier that week. You have to run warmer gas through the pipes to loosen up the frost and then hit it with these poles. Until that freezer was completely aired out, you held your breath and made your trips in there very short.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

ExplodingSims posted:

My experience in Florida is that's absolutely not true... the condensate line would never be sloped properly to drain. :aaaaa:

Every time I speak to someone about their AC commercial or residential they flood the pans on a regular basis because the lines are not sloped and then lack of maintenance compounds it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

ExplodingSims posted:

My bedroom in central Florida flooded because of a backed up condensate drain. It was impressive to see it in action. Normally there was a steady trickle of water our of the hose when the unit was running.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Wait, you guys mean there are places where the condensate line isn't like a slow garden hose? I'm in Nebraska and our last apartment had a problem where the unit above us would knock their line out of the drain and it just rained into our place. Next you guys are gonna tell me the tube is supposed to be fixed stationary or something.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

God I wish.

The problem here in FL with condensate lines, at least on rooftop units, is that no one wants to spring for hard copper lines, so everything is made out of pvc.

PVC + Hot Florida Sun = Melty saggy drain lines = indoor rainstorm.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I'm in NY, so my condensate pump turns on for about 10 seconds at a time, usually right after the A/C cycles off. If they had laid out my basement a little better, they could have skipped the pump and just done a gravity feed.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I found it interesting to learn that modern window AC units spray condensate over the condenser coils in order to benefit from evaporative cooling to the outside environment, which boosts the efficiency. The fan that blows over the condenser has little scoops on the blade tips that dip into the condensate pan to pick up water and hurl it over the coils. The area of the yard around my window AC stays very well watered from running it on humid days.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Good morning

(House on the corner with ugly everything)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 3, 2016

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

From beautiful Niihama

(Monster addition and bonus looming windowless apartments)

peanut fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 3, 2016

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Welcome

(So grounded)

peanut fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 3, 2016

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

peanut posted:

Good morning

(House on the corner with ugly everything)

Someone please explain these windows to me. How?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

c0ldfuse posted:

Someone please explain these windows to me. How?

You cut a hole in the wall and put a glass in it, see?