Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Azrial posted:

If I am already on project fi am I eligible for the discounted phone if I buy one or is it only for new fi customers?

You can still buy them, it's just kind of hidden. Log in to the Fi website and it's under "Your Plan" along with the option of ordering a data-only SIM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Humerus posted:

You can still buy them, it's just kind of hidden. Log in to the Fi website and it's under "Your Plan" along with the option of ordering a data-only SIM.

I didn't know they offered a data-only sim, and now I ordered one. I have a cheap unlocked phone that I keep in my car just for music and such but this will give it a few extra uses.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Question about transitioning to this service:

I have my 5X phone and I have not yet activated Fi service. I'm on Verizon in a contract until July 20th. On the 20th, do I need to call Verizon first to terminate service and then activate Fi? I'm not sure how this works.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
No, if you do that, you'll lose your number. Start the port with Project Fi and that will cancel your Verizon service.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks. I'm glad I asked!

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Have a new 6p waiting to be activated. I read a chunk of this thread but didn't see a whole lot of talk about privacy with Fi (I know, Google).

But does anyone have any major privacy concerns? I already use a lot of Google products/apps because of Android but it sounds like all of your data passes through Google's servers when using wifi and they are likely to store/use it.

Although, the VPN over public wifi is a pretty neat feature.

Anyways, just looking for any feedback before taking the plunge and actually porting my number to the Fi sim.

Thanks thread!

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Fireside Nut posted:

Have a new 6p waiting to be activated. I read a chunk of this thread but didn't see a whole lot of talk about privacy with Fi (I know, Google).

But does anyone have any major privacy concerns? I already use a lot of Google products/apps because of Android but it sounds like all of your data passes through Google's servers when using wifi and they are likely to store/use it.

Although, the VPN over public wifi is a pretty neat feature.

Anyways, just looking for any feedback before taking the plunge and actually porting my number to the Fi sim.

Thanks thread!

Only the wifi traffic going over their VPN would go through their network, other wifi, no. I very rarely get the public VPN as most places have captive portals or something causes the functionality to not engage.

As for what they do with the traffic that traverses their infrastructure, I don't know.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

The Electronaut posted:

Only the wifi traffic going over their VPN would go through their network, other wifi, no. I very rarely get the public VPN as most places have captive portals or something causes the functionality to not engage.

As for what they do with the traffic that traverses their infrastructure, I don't know.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm mostly at work and home so it sounds like the VPN probably isn't going to be a big thing for me either.

In that case, I might give it a shot.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

me your dad posted:

Thanks. I'm glad I asked!

I hope you remember your account pin number, because they will not tell you what it is, or give hints, unless you drive to a verizon store with photo id. The pin number you use for literally nothing, ever, except transferring phone numbers.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Krinkle posted:

I hope you remember your account pin number, because they will not tell you what it is, or give hints, unless you drive to a verizon store with photo id. The pin number you use for literally nothing, ever, except transferring phone numbers.

I did remember it, thankfully.

I'm now fully on with Fi :toot:

Things seem to be working well so far but I only just activated earlier today. I'm looking forward to seeing the difference in my monthly phone cost, that's for sure.

Question about Comcast Xfinity hotspots:

I've read it's a good idea to have this working on the phone to take advantage of the Xfinity hotspots out there.

When I go to my Comcast account to manage my hotspot, it returns this message:

quote:

You will not be able to manage your XFINITY WiFi Home Hotspot feature at this time because you do not have an eligible Wireless Gateway in your home.

I don't know what this means. I'm not using a Comcast-provided router. Maybe that's why?

But regardless, I should be able to download their app to my phone and it will connect me to hotspots around town, right? Does it assign priority to other networks? For example, if I go to my friend's house, who gave me access to his network, will the Comcast app try to connect me to his neighbor's wifi because they have a hotspot enabled?

Sorry if these are dumb questions. I'm getting old and therefore increasingly unable to understand complex technology :corsair:

me your dad fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 20, 2016

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Fireside Nut posted:

The Google VPN thing only activates when it auto-connects you to an open wifi AP that you haven't ever used before, and it only does this for APs that they think will give you a good quality of service. You can turn this feature off; it's not required in any way. Android also supports VPN generally, you aren't locked to using Google. You can use another provider and it works fine.

Also, consider the fact that your Fi connection is already running your traffic through Google's infrastructure when you have a cell connection. It uses the towers of other carriers, yes, but it would surprise me if Google let Sprint and T-Mo peek at that data unencrypted.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 20, 2016

the auschwitz diet
Mar 19, 2004
I toast mine own alcoholism

me your dad posted:

I've read it's a good idea to have this working on the phone to take advantage of the Xfinity hotspots out there.

When I go to my Comcast account to manage my hotspot, it returns this message:

I don't know what this means. I'm not using a Comcast-provided router. Maybe that's why?

But regardless, I should be able to download their app to my phone and it will connect me to hotspots around town, right? Does it assign priority to other networks? For example, if I go to my friend's house, who gave me access to his network, will the Comcast app try to connect me to his neighbor's wifi because they have a hotspot enabled?

That button is just for managing your home's hotspot if you lease a router from Comcast, yes.

Don't download their app, just create a new login in your Comcast account without billing/admin privileges, connect to any xfinitywifi network using those credentials in the captive portal and check remember me or whatever. It will just connect if there is one around. I thought Android could manage preferred wifi networks but I can't figure it out, I think it just prefers known private networks by default or remembers your choices. I've never had it connect to xfinity when I had good reception to a known network.

I wouldn't use Comcast's lovely routers unless you held a gun to my head but it's nice to have the hotspots when you're out. If you're moving fast sometimes they interfere with LTE because it prefers the wifi and you're constantly moving in and out of range of networks.

the auschwitz diet fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 20, 2016

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks for the reply. I connected to a Comcast hotspot yesterday and things seem to be working.

Question about Signal Spy Pro:

I bought the paid app and when I first (accidentally) tried to switch carriers, it gave me a notification. I think I hit 'No Thanks' or something to that affect and now it just brings me to my contact list when I press one of the carrier icons in the app. Any ideas?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
If it's an app preference you cam clear signal sky's data and it should prompt you again.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

me your dad posted:

I bought the paid app and when I first (accidentally) tried to switch carriers, it gave me a notification. I think I hit 'No Thanks' or something to that affect and now it just brings me to my contact list when I press one of the carrier icons in the app. Any ideas?
Go into the dialer and "paste". Shazzam. Transferred!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My contract with Sprint is up this Saturday, and I'll be switching to Fi as well as getting my mother on board. Any phone sales ongoing or coming up?

Also, are the general steps basically:

- Accept invite, choose plan and order phone & SIM card
- Receive both, call on a separate phone to activate

Or is there anything I'm missing or leaving out? Obv don't cancel service with Sprint or else we'd lose our numbers, just port over instead and wait for final prorated bill from Sprint.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Wilford Cutlery posted:

- Receive both, call on a separate phone to activate

Receive both, put SIM in card. Activate using phone. I assume you also have WiFi.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

There was never an invite involved in my case, I think it's just open sign up now. Also you activate it online / from the phone itself.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I am having no luck with getting a phone without defects. I'm on my third Nexus 5X, and once the second phone makes it back I will be making another warranty claim. I've read lots of people who had no problems with their first 5X, so I hope that I just need to keep trying.

The first two phones were new-in-box, and both developed an awful buzzing in the earpiece speaker after a week or two, to the point where sometimes I couldn't understand what people were saying. The first one also had a screen with the classic N5X Orange Tinge. The third phone came as a refurb, and it had problems right away, too. The SIM tray doesn't sit flush like the first two, instead it can kind of be pushed inward slightly past the point of flushness, and while I don't know if this is an issue, like, mechanically, it just doesn't sit right with me when I know this is not how it's supposed to be and that it's not my fault. The third one also has the orange tinge to the screen. And I'll note here that I tried doing the developer menu option "use cooler colors", but that helped only marginally in my side-by-side comparisons of the orange-screeners with the second phone (and other sources).

I don't think I've ever bought a piece of electronics where I've had three lemons right off the bat; probably the most annoying thing to me is that the phone would be really awesome if I just got one that worked. I'm glad Fi support has been super easy to deal with, but the whole thing is very frustrating.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

How is the turnaround on warranty claims? I have a teeny tiny black spot on my Nexus 5x screen that is super annoying to me, but I really can't be without a phone for any length of time at the moment.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

They send you a replacement device via next-day shipping. From the date your replacement ships, you have seven days to get your old device in the mail, or "you may be charged". You print out an RMA slip to put in the box with the old device, and print out a prepaid shipping label to stick on the box.

I guess I'm going to find out about the "may be charged" bit, because the shipping wasn't exactly next-day this time, but we'll see.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I am having no luck with getting a phone without defects. I'm on my third Nexus 5X, and once the second phone makes it back I will be making another warranty claim. I've read lots of people who had no problems with their first 5X, so I hope that I just need to keep trying.

The first two phones were new-in-box, and both developed an awful buzzing in the earpiece speaker after a week or two, to the point where sometimes I couldn't understand what people were saying. The first one also had a screen with the classic N5X Orange Tinge. The third phone came as a refurb, and it had problems right away, too. The SIM tray doesn't sit flush like the first two, instead it can kind of be pushed inward slightly past the point of flushness, and while I don't know if this is an issue, like, mechanically, it just doesn't sit right with me when I know this is not how it's supposed to be and that it's not my fault. The third one also has the orange tinge to the screen. And I'll note here that I tried doing the developer menu option "use cooler colors", but that helped only marginally in my side-by-side comparisons of the orange-screeners with the second phone (and other sources).

I don't think I've ever bought a piece of electronics where I've had three lemons right off the bat; probably the most annoying thing to me is that the phone would be really awesome if I just got one that worked. I'm glad Fi support has been super easy to deal with, but the whole thing is very frustrating.

That is some awful luck. I wonder if it's a QC issue and that batch that your phones came out of was a bad batch.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Maybe someone there hates you. "Oh it's Lutha Matin again? Give him another one from the poo poo pile :twisted:"

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Picked up the 6p with the Fi promotion. Ported my number to Fi after trying it for a day. It's been really great so far. The App is really slick and my coverage has been the same, if not better, than AT&T due to wifi calling.

I'm also loving legitimate visual voicemail integrated right into the dialer app. The cricket VV I had before was alright but really buggy and spotty.

Thanks for answering my questions a page or two back - really glad I made the switch.

Also, my goodness is the 6p nice. Loved my Nexus 5 but the fingerprint reader alone was worth it. Sold my Nexus 5 on Swappa for $120 so really came out alright in this upgrade. :v:

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Darkpriest667 posted:

That is some awful luck. I wonder if it's a QC issue and that batch that your phones came out of was a bad batch.

I had the same experience with my N5. It sucked but was kind of nice getting a new phone for free every couple months.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

withoutclass posted:

I had the same experience with my N5. It sucked but was kind of nice getting a new phone for free every couple months.

My N5 was the best phone I had ever owned up until I got this 6P. In some ways I still like my N5 better than my 6P I hope that Google goes back to LG for the next Nexus phone.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Speaking of 5x issues...

I use a PIN lock screen due to wifi security requirements at work.

If I get a call and my phone is locked, I have to unlock my phone and then answer the phone. When I do this, the phone app crashes (but the call still works). Usually the incoming call alert stays on my screen and won't go away for a while when this happens.

Is there a way to disable screen lock when a call comes in?

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Has anyone had any experience taking apart a Nexus 6P and repairing it?

I dropped it on some hard smooth concrete and now the power button is barely responsive, its soft and spongy and I have to really delicately click it to lock the screen. I didnt get a warranty.

Now, Ive ordered a replacement button and watched a few vids- I am the kind of person thats happy to attempt to heat up a camera lens and extract it with a guitar pick a phone that cost a few hundred dollars but anyways- has anyone done this with any luck?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Last week I used SignalSpy to switch my connection manually due to spotty reception at home (internet and power were out due to trees down and sprint was handling the bad connection better than T-Mobile, which my phone preferred to stay on). Today I tried to get to the same dialer codes and found they're only in SignalSpy Pro which is $2. I bought it because there's a definite need for it sometimes, but it kind of sucks that they moved a useful feature from the stock app to the paid version.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Jacobin posted:

Has anyone had any experience taking apart a Nexus 6P and repairing it?

I dropped it on some hard smooth concrete and now the power button is barely responsive, its soft and spongy and I have to really delicately click it to lock the screen. I didnt get a warranty.

Now, Ive ordered a replacement button and watched a few vids- I am the kind of person thats happy to attempt to heat up a camera lens and extract it with a guitar pick a phone that cost a few hundred dollars but anyways- has anyone done this with any luck?

My first (and last) Fi/6 experience without a warranty went like this: I paid for a new phone and use the broken one (screen) in my car as a permanent Android Auto PC. They are not easy phones to fix yourself and repair costs are often as much as a new phone now that they are discounted.

Which is why for my 6p I have the warranty, it's not that expensive and they swap you out quick if there is a problem.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Rexxed posted:

Last week I used SignalSpy to switch my connection manually due to spotty reception at home (internet and power were out due to trees down and sprint was handling the bad connection better than T-Mobile, which my phone preferred to stay on). Today I tried to get to the same dialer codes and found they're only in SignalSpy Pro which is $2. I bought it because there's a definite need for it sometimes, but it kind of sucks that they moved a useful feature from the stock app to the paid version.

You can set up the buttons in the notification to switch to different carriers. When you tap them, it copies the code to your clipboard and opens the dialer. Paste the code and it switches carriers. That's how I've been doing it with the free version.

I think the Pro version eliminates the copy and paste steps.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Uthor posted:

You can set up the buttons in the notification to switch to different carriers. When you tap them, it copies the code to your clipboard and opens the dialer. Paste the code and it switches carriers. That's how I've been doing it with the free version.

I think the Pro version eliminates the copy and paste steps.

I had that with the free version until I tried it today where it became unavailable. Switching to Pro works for me since the non-rooted dialer codes work the same and there's more of them now (including US Cellular and Auto as well as Sprint and T-Mobile and "Next" like before), it just seemed like the option to switch for free vanished recently, even though it's not mentioned on the "what's new" for the 7/27 update.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Force Jump to Sprint: *#*#34777#*#*
Force Jump to T-Mobile: *#*#34866#*#*
Force Jump to Next Carrier: *#*#346398#*#*
Turn On Auto Switch: *#*#342886#*#*
Repair Bad Activation: *#*#34963#*#*
Current Network Info: *#*#344636#*#*

Copy and paste the dialer codes from here into your dialer app.

Just think. You'd have had to pay $2 for the app. PayPal-ing me $1 for my beer fund will save you 50%.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I'm out of contract with AT&T and my wife and I have been looking to change providers, so I'm the guinea pig! Ordered the 5X last night and we'll see how it goes. I know it's going to be a hell of a lot cheaper for how little data we use.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Ordered my 5X yesterday. What's the preferred protective case for it?

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Go caseless, motherfucker. Let that sweet phone build shine.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I don't know which is preferred but my dad got the official google one. It's expensive but it looks nice and he hasn't broken it so far. I'm just using a dztronic on my Nexus 6 which is boring but was a lot cheaper (like $9 instead of $35).

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I'm a huge fan of Cruzerlite cases, specifically the TPU BugDroid case: http://www.cruzerlite.com/bugdroid-circuit-case-for-the-lg-google-nexus-5-2015

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I got the Supcase here and I like it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

me your dad posted:

I got the Supcase here and I like it a lot.

I have that one too and I also like it a lot.