Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Right now all my trades and hardcovers are in boxes because I'm moving, but I like to organize my comics in publisher>character>author.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Mine are just stuck where there's any goddamn room for them.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

redbackground posted:

Mine are just stuck where there's any goddamn room for them.

:ohdear:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Mine are alphabetical by title, regardless of publisher. But for a title like Daredevil, I have my three Miller/Janson volumes, then Miller's Born Again, then Man Without Fear (publication order), then all the Bendis TPBs, and then all the Brubakers.

I have Astonishing X-Men under "A," New Avengers under "N," 52 at the beginning (before "A"), and Darwyn Cooke's DC: The New Frontier under "D," rather than "N."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
At the moment I've got mine roughly grouped into publisher > character > arc / run, with the runs ordered by rough chronology. For example, my Batman section looks something like: Year One / DKR (and other misc 80s / 90s stuff), Gotham Central, Morrison's run, and then bits of Snyder's. The problem I have (and what inspired the question) was stuff like Final Crisis, which could be reasonably put in the middle of that Batman run or with Seven Soldiers and Multiversity in its own section. On the one hand it feels like a silly thing to care about, on the other hand I figure the books have to go somewhere so I might as well organise them.

Moving them around did also make me realise how much heavier the newer glossy paper is compared to the older stuff.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The problem I have (and what inspired the question) was stuff like Final Crisis, which could be reasonably put in the middle of that Batman run or with Seven Soldiers and Multiversity in its own section. On the one hand it feels like a silly thing to care about, on the other hand I figure the books have to go somewhere so I might as well organise them.

Just think about where you would look to find the book and put it there. I don't worry too much about how "proper" it is.

Not hardcovers, but my floppies has a huge Amazing Spider-Man section that includes, ASM, Dark Reign: Sinister Spider-Man, Spider-island, Spider-Gwen, Spider-Women, etc, more or less chronologically. I figure if I want any of those books, I'll think "Spider-Man!" and go to that section.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

At the moment I've got mine roughly grouped into publisher > character > arc / run, with the runs ordered by rough chronology. For example, my Batman section looks something like: Year One / DKR (and other misc 80s / 90s stuff), Gotham Central, Morrison's run, and then bits of Snyder's.
This is exactly how I have mine organized.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I tend to go by publisher for non manga. Then I sort DC and marvel by characters/teams, then event books. The rest of the publishers are alphabetical by title. For manga I do it by creator.
That said right now most of the books are in piles on the floor because we just moved last month and haven't put all the bookshelves up yet. I am going to use this discussion as an excuse to post a picture of our new shelf though.

It's in our living room so we wanted to just put up stuff we really like. It's not particularly organized.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
For writers with more than a couple books I organize all of their stuff in blocks of Writer > original publication date, which covers 90% of the stuff I own. The rest of it's organized by "theme" on a continuum from superhero to not, so Batman '66 goes with Batman Adventures, Essex County goes with It's a Bird, Demo goes with Daytripper etc.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

It's not pretty.

not at all

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Pile on floor.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I have mine organised by Publisher, then by character or title, e.g. all Bat-family stuff is together, all X-titles are together. Within those groupings, I'll usually arrange them chronologically.

Also I have everything separated by type, so omnibuses are on a single shelf together, tbps are together, OSHCs are together.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Image is killing the OSHC game right now. gently caress an Omnibus.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Disappointed that DC seems to have abandoned the George Pérez Wonder Woman Vol. 2 omnibus. I was looking forward to that one. :(

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Disappointed that DC seems to have abandoned the George Pérez Wonder Woman Vol. 2 omnibus. I was looking forward to that one. :(

There's a new 14 issue volume out this week https://www.comixology.com/Wonder-W...bnRBZGRpdGlvbnM

Maybe they've abandoned the omnibus format for that or it'll come out when this one catches up at vol.3 :shrug:

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Teenage Fansub posted:

Pile on floor.

This but unironically.

To be fair I moved back in with my parents a couple weeks ago and I'm planning to move back out as soon as I can so this is a short-term situation for me. I'll worry about organizing and making things look nice once I'm back out somewhere semi-permanent. In the meantime I at least try to keep my pile in the corner and nice enough that the books don't get damaged.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Count me in with the 'wow these are heavy' brigade. Mine are resting in storage and moving them was quite the workout.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Count me in with the 'wow these are heavy' brigade. Mine are resting in storage and moving them was quite the workout.
I'm moving now, thank god for elevators. Hauling up absolutes seven floors would really suck otherwise.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Alhazred posted:

I'm moving now, thank god for elevators. Hauling up absolutes seven floors would really suck otherwise.

I'm moving in two weeks and fortunately I'm on the first floor.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I love how popular Kallax shelves are! Here's what I got these days.

Full sized link

Just Offscreen fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 27, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Just Offscreen posted:

I love how popular Kallax shelves are! Here's what I got these days.

Full sized link

Kallax blows.

Expedit 4 LYFE.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Kallax blows.

Expedit 4 LYFE.

What's the difference?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alhazred posted:

What's the difference?

Expedit's are slightly bigger. Is there a 5x5 Kallax yet?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Expedit shelves are the same size, they just made the outer walls thinner. Which doesn't really matter, since Expedit walls were hollow, anyway.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Someone remind me...what's the rough guideline on how many comic issues that can be bound into a single volume?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Senor Candle posted:

I tend to go by publisher for non manga. Then I sort DC and marvel by characters/teams, then event books. The rest of the publishers are alphabetical by title. For manga I do it by creator.
That said right now most of the books are in piles on the floor because we just moved last month and haven't put all the bookshelves up yet. I am going to use this discussion as an excuse to post a picture of our new shelf though.

It's in our living room so we wanted to just put up stuff we really like. It's not particularly organized.

What is in your treasure chest? :smaug:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

jivjov posted:

Someone remind me...what's the rough guideline on how many comic issues that can be bound into a single volume?
I just try to avoid going over 2.5". But probably around 30-40.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

redbackground posted:

I just try to avoid going over 2.5". But probably around 30-40.

Excellent. I have some pending projects I'd like to get bound purely so I actually go back to read my old back issues, and knowing that I can fit that much in one volume is quite nice.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

jivjov posted:

Excellent. I have some pending projects I'd like to get bound purely so I actually go back to read my old back issues, and knowing that I can fit that much in one volume is quite nice.

I'd say 30 is absolute max, and that's if you pull out any double-sided ad pages and back covers. But I've only bound older comics from the '80s and '90s, so if the modern glossy paper is thinner, you could probably squeeze in a few more. My one volume where I went slightly over 30 issues is a little heavier and more unwieldy than I would have liked.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I'd say 30 is absolute max, and that's if you pull out any double-sided ad pages and back covers. But I've only bound older comics from the '80s and '90s, so if the modern glossy paper is thinner, you could probably squeeze in a few more. My one volume where I went slightly over 30 issues is a little heavier and more unwieldy than I would have liked.

I think the largest on my to-do list is around 26 or 27. (The ongoing Darth Vader comic is ending at issue 25, plus there's a one-off "Vader Down" and one Annual).

Past that, I followed all 4 New 52 Green Lantern titles until issue 20 each (when the production teams all switched over), and I wouldn't mind binding those into a volume each.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

jivjov posted:

I followed all 4 New 52 Green Lantern titles until issue 20 each (when the production teams all switched over)

Even Red Lanterns? Man. It got good under Charles Soule.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Teenage Fansub posted:

Even Red Lanterns? Man. It got good under Charles Soule.

At the time I was just subscribed to too many comics and a lot of them I felt like I was following out of obligation rather than because I was truly getting a lot of enjoyment out of them. So when the Issue 20s all came around it seemed like a good breakpoint to trim down all the books I was getting

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

jivjov posted:

I think the largest on my to-do list is around 26 or 27. (The ongoing Darth Vader comic is ending at issue 25, plus there's a one-off "Vader Down" and one Annual).

You're not going to include the Star Wars Vader Down crossover issues?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Endless Mike posted:

You're not going to include the Star Wars Vader Down crossover issues?

Vader Down #1 was its own one-off thing (as far as series numbering is concerned), but I'll be working that in to my Vader hardback. Vader Down 2-6 were part of the Star Wars ongoing and Darth Vader ongoing lines, (like Vader Down #3 is also Darth Vader #17 or whatever it was)

Edit: so about half of Vader Down will be in what I get bound

jivjov fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 1, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I know. They're your books, obviously, but it's weird to me that you'd not include the Star Wars issues since they're part of the Darth Vader story (and vice-versa), and if you choose not to include them, you'll either have to swap over to a different book to get the whole story and/or not have the complete story in one book. I guess if your only goal is archiving books, that's fine, but personally, I'd prefer to be able to read the Darth Vader story straight through, which requires those issues, as well.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
As far as my own neuroses go, it would bother me a disproportionate amount to have Star Wars Ongoing issues bound into a book with Darth Vader issues. Plus, i seem to recall that the crossover wasn't super strict on absolutely having to read each Vader Down issue in order for it to make sense.

I'll give the Vader Down run a reread before I send them off to be bound; if my recollection is inaccurate I'll see about maybe picking up a second set of Vader Down and have the complete mini series bound in both my Vader book and my eventual Star Wars ongoing book...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I do think you're right about that. From what I recall, the Star Wars issues focused on their characters and the Darth Vader issues focused on Vader.

Our OCD is different I guess!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

jivjov was obviously in charge of collecting Hickman's FF. :v:

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
Barnes and Noble has 40% off a single item with the coupon code LMQCJGX26KQFK. I believe you can use it multiple times for separate orders and it is valid until September 6th 2:59am EST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Really? I saw this on Amazon the other day and it looks like it's listed at least for order:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/140127238X/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_16?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER