Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
We're started meeting regularly at Meeples Games in West Seattle, Thursday nights around 6. Small group/store, but had 3 games going last week and good people so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Ghazk posted:

We're started meeting regularly at Meeples Games in West Seattle, Thursday nights around 6. Small group/store, but had 3 games going last week and good people so far.

I'm playing tomorrow and Saturday this week at Mugu (there's a doubles tourney on Saturday) but I can try and get out there next week for sure.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

No love for Kitsap county players?

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

I had to look at Google maps to figure out where that was. I'm new here and we don't know anybody. Been here about three months now, it's been a rough time, experiencing the "Seattle freeze" - hoping to make some Hams friends like I had back in Wichita.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I have a unit of devastator centurions that I want to use in a Crimson Fists list. Should I set them up with grav cannons with hurricane bolters or should I use heavy bolters to take advantage of chapter tactics?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Star Man posted:

I have a unit of devastator centurions that I want to use in a Crimson Fists list. Should I set them up with grav cannons with hurricane bolters or should I use heavy bolters to take advantage of chapter tactics?
Centurions already have twin linked heavy bolters so they don't get much out of chapter tactics. You've also probably got enough equivalent shooting to heavy bolters in any given list - killing hordes of Orks or Guardsmen isn't that tough. Grav cannons solve a lot tougher problems, like MCs or vehicles. I only run mine with heavy bolters because they're modeled that way, and that's because I'm using old robots from Rogue Trader for them.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

SRM posted:

Centurions already have twin linked heavy bolters so they don't get much out of chapter tactics. You've also probably got enough equivalent shooting to heavy bolters in any given list - killing hordes of Orks or Guardsmen isn't that tough. Grav cannons solve a lot tougher problems, like MCs or vehicles. I only run mine with heavy bolters because they're modeled that way, and that's because I'm using old robots from Rogue Trader for them.

Okay. Would it be better to run with missiles instead of hurricane bolters then?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Star Man posted:

Okay. Would it be better to run with missiles instead of hurricane bolters then?

Grav + Hurricanes is quite nice because the Hurricanes are great at things the Grav are bad at.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/thetowerofstars/status/760503644076793856

Things are certainly afoot at GW.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Matt Ward Presents- Age of Emperor

Tuxedo Jack posted:

So after a long hiatus and a move halfway across the country, I'm now playing in the Seattle area. Anyone from up here?

Still gotta catch up on everything that's changed since tax day...

Sent you a message on Grindr

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
He's back :allears:

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Didn't recognise him without the fedora.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Tuxedo Jack and Matt Ward back on the same day

Coincidence?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

BULBASAUR posted:

Tuxedo Jack and Matt Ward back on the same day

Coincidence?

:ninja:

Let me tell you about my favorite marines...

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Finally, they've hired back someone who loves Ultramarines as much as I do

Wonder what brought him back - maybe it was the removal of credits on GW products so people won't be able to finger the blame at him when some fluff gets stupid.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
He's helping FW finish writing Prospero

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Anyone have any thoughts on what they'd consider the most competative Battle Company set up?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I hope Matt Ward brings back my favourite Farseer, Eldorath Starbane. Notable for having his hand cut off and generally being ridiculously incompetent.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Cross posting from Oath Thread.

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx
Any thoughts on Seraphim for sisters? The list I settled on its really mec oriented, five battle sisters with a priest in immolators. I'm not sure whether the Seraphim would be worth taking over additional battle sisters, but their ability to harass on deep striking seems like it would be really useful.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I'll be blunt mate - what's your local meta like? If you're going to be facing any kind of competitive play you're going to get your poo poo pushed in with sisters.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTdfyjk1J6o

New 40K PC game, "Sanctus Reach", actually a turn-based tactics game! Looks kinda meh so far though.

Space Wolves vs Orks?

Maybe a few years from now when GW is on the verge of financial ruin they'll actually let somebody make a proper PC 40k game like they should have done years ago.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTdfyjk1J6o

New 40K PC game, "Sanctus Reach", actually a turn-based tactics game! Looks kinda meh so far though.

Space Wolves vs Orks?

Maybe a few years from now when GW is on the verge of financial ruin they'll actually let somebody make a proper PC 40k game like they should have done years ago.

I'm hoping that Deathwing is that game.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Uroboros posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on what they'd consider the most competative Battle Company set up?

If I were to run BC it would be:
kahn on bike
chaplain on a bike
Command Squad on bikes, razorback
2x5 tac marines, combi, melta, pods
2x5 tac marines, combi, melta, rhino
2x5 tac marines, grav cannon, rhino
2x5 assault marines, 2x flamers, pods
2x5 dev marines, grav cannon, rhino
3x5 scouts
3x3 ML2 librarians, bikes (libby conclave)
1835, I know there is a cool banner in AoD but I haven't really looked at it because I'm playing Taudar right now.

I haven't actually played it but I think a small deathstar with a poop ton of rides with scouting/outflanking options is probably the best. You have enough grav in rides to kill a ton of things, khan to fix morale issues, drop melta, null deploy options, and a strong melee deathstar that can bail out your dudes who get in trouble. Hell you can even roll malefic with one guy and get some summoning happening if needed.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tyranid FAQ is up on the facebook page, I didn't see anything remotely interesting in there though, all seemed like pretty obvious and known things.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Tyranid FAQ is up on the facebook page, I didn't see anything remotely interesting in there though, all seemed like pretty obvious and known things.

Spawned shooty gaunts are obsec, even in mamagaunt isn't an HQ, as long as mamagaunt was bought in a detachment that is obsec. Which is completely different from summoned units even though both spawned units come from outside the detachment.

The pods guns act like vehicles even though it isn't a vehicle and can maybe shoot at multiple targets? No more 5 small blasts on the nearest target. :(

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
The nerf to Biovore barrage templates hurt pretty badly. only get spore mines on the first shot if it misses, the rest don't spawn any.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
I'm a big fan of "so the trygon tunnel is useless?"
"Yes"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hencoe posted:

I'm a big fan of "so the trygon tunnel is useless?"
"Yes"

Yeah I was laughing at that question. Its a really dumb question but to be fair, its a really stupid mechanic. I really wish they'd redo reserves so you could have more control and actually build an army around deep strike tyranids. I'm kinda doing that already using a comms relay but its a crapshoot on how it actually plays out.

Their answer is so bad "You see, you can choose to hold any units in reserve" oh gently caress you, that's not the point and you know it.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Zaphod42 posted:

*GW doubling down on senseless rules or incompetent writing*

Looks like Tyranids are also REALLY FIRED UP.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Naramyth posted:

Spawned shooty gaunts are obsec, even in mamagaunt isn't an HQ, as long as mamagaunt was bought in a detachment that is obsec. Which is completely different from summoned units even though both spawned units come from outside the detachment.

The pods guns act like vehicles even though it isn't a vehicle and can maybe shoot at multiple targets? No more 5 small blasts on the nearest target. :(

Basically my views. Hooray! They got Tervigon rules right!

God dammit they got tyrannocite rules as wrong as possible.

Oh well. Won't change my lists.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I really like that Mawlocs can eat invisible units, that's awesome.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SRM posted:

I really like that Mawlocs can eat invisible units, that's awesome.

Yeah its nice, but that's always been the case. I'm pretty sure the codex even explicitly mentions it? Its a weird thing to FAQ since everybody I know of is totally agreed on it.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Naramyth posted:

If I were to run BC it would be:
kahn on bike
chaplain on a bike
Command Squad on bikes, razorback
2x5 tac marines, combi, melta, pods
2x5 tac marines, combi, melta, rhino
2x5 tac marines, grav cannon, rhino
2x5 assault marines, 2x flamers, pods
2x5 dev marines, grav cannon, rhino
3x5 scouts
3x3 ML2 librarians, bikes (libby conclave)
1835, I know there is a cool banner in AoD but I haven't really looked at it because I'm playing Taudar right now.

I haven't actually played it but I think a small deathstar with a poop ton of rides with scouting/outflanking options is probably the best. You have enough grav in rides to kill a ton of things, khan to fix morale issues, drop melta, null deploy options, and a strong melee deathstar that can bail out your dudes who get in trouble. Hell you can even roll malefic with one guy and get some summoning happening if needed.

Thanks, this is very close it what I had come up with. I was unsure if I should go this route or add big guns to the Razors and Grav Cannons in the Dev Rhinos with Coteaz to shoot deep striking units, and add in a Culexus to counter enemy psykers along with the anti-air formation as my auxiliary.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
I made a thing:

OBJECTIVE SECURED

3D printers are awesome. I spent about two hours designing the listening post using a free online app and then got it printed locally for $11.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Uroboros posted:

Thanks, this is very close it what I had come up with. I was unsure if I should go this route or add big guns to the Razors and Grav Cannons in the Dev Rhinos with Coteaz to shoot deep striking units, and add in a Culexus to counter enemy psykers along with the anti-air formation as my auxiliary.

Guns on marines are more durable than razorback guns. Also Coteaz needs to be able to draw LOS to the models coming in from reserve, which he cannot do in a ride so I don't really think it's worth it.

An assassin would be fine, especially to put in the command squad free razorback but I think having your own ministar is better.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
I'm looking at grabbing the Ork starter box this weekend as a something to do project, and maybe to eventually field as a shits and grins kinda force. Whats the common opinion on it, play-wise? I know Orkz are iffy right now but is the box actually a decent foot in the door for the army?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Naramyth posted:

Guns on marines are more durable than razorback guns. Also Coteaz needs to be able to draw LOS to the models coming in from reserve, which he cannot do in a ride so I don't really think it's worth it.

An assassin would be fine, especially to put in the command squad free razorback but I think having your own ministar is better.

A guy I know used IBEY at Adepticon while Coteaz was embarked. Has it been FAQ'd that you can't? I'd generally agree that using the bikerstar is a better option, but as you'll see it is pretty points heavy, and even getting the combi-meltas on the tactical squads is a tall order. I think dropping a Grav-Cannon and putting a few Grav-guns on the command squad would be a better use of points. Also I'm not sure how useful the pods for assault marines when I could scout them up in a Razorback and accomplish the same thing.

Also, would scout bikers be more useful than scouts? You get 2 less models but they are tougher, can steal objectives more easily and are twin linked, and jinking lets them actually leave cover.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

I made a thing:

OBJECTIVE SECURED

3D printers are awesome. I spent about two hours designing the listening post using a free online app and then got it printed locally for $11.

Is that supposed to be a dawn of war capture point? :3: love it.

• Locked thread