Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Only 4% of cars sold last year had manuals :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The 86 is a fairly naff looking car. I'm yet to drive one though, might roll up to the dealer in my Supra and act like I'm interested.

How much (or little) torque do they have?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Powershift posted:

Pimp the vinegar, meatdrink.

MustardFacial posted:

What is AI's opinion on the FRS/BRZ? I like the idea of them and kind of want one, but at the same time I think they are stupid.

Not fast enough. I think the price point just ended up higher than it should have been. I remember when frsbrz Fever hit there was a YouTube series called BRZ or That? They basically explored similar performing cars and different price points, or similar price point cars and performance differences.
I just can't see a place where I say get to get a toyobaru twin over something like an E46 M3.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

This is reeeeeeally sad, but are those of just NEW cars, or ones sold from dealers (including used cars)?

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

ssjonizuka posted:

i'm not saying you're wrong, as I wasn't there and don't know the circumstances so I won't speculate too much. I would just like to point out I have a pellet in my chest that was shot from an air rifle. drat near had to have surgery to get it out when it happened. fortunately, no notable health impact, but even past that... PTSD is a hell of a thing.

Holy cow! Glad you're okay.

I didn't mean to sound insensitive, if it came off that way. I'm glad the guy in this instance is okay too. Its hard to know what to expect from air guns because there's such a difference between an airsoft, a daisy, and a high powered air rifle.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

scuz posted:

Grats dude! Skip the wagon and go straight for a VAN! A BIG van!

Perhaps something American, with a nice big V8, but also cheap.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Not fast enough. I think the price point just ended up higher than it should have been. I remember when frsbrz Fever hit there was a YouTube series called BRZ or That? They basically explored similar performing cars and different price points, or similar price point cars and performance differences.
I just can't see a place where I say get to get a toyobaru twin over something like an E46 M3.

Japan got a stripper model, plain cheapo bumpers, thin steelies etc, just enough to roll it out of the factory as they knew people would mod them. I wonder what sort of money they went for.

http://o.aolcdn.com/dims-shared/dim...ta-gt-86-rc.jpg

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

1500quidporsche posted:

they're a little bit too much style over substance for me. Also I'm bitter and dislike most new cars.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

This is basically my feeling on them as well. I should love them, on paper it is everything I want in a car, but in reality it seems to fall flat on all fronts. Or at least isn't good enough at anything to compete with say: an E46 M3, or a Miata (not that I'd ever own one). I mean the other downside is that every "Pro 2ner, Wikkid stance bro" fuckface around here has either has a FRSBRZ, or a Miata. Unless you're from Mainland China, in which case you have like a lambo or a McLaren P1 or something stupid.

I guess it's back to my original idea of finding a well kept 280Z to use as a base for building the car I actually want.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
:: Sees 80+ new posts ::

What the hell are you guys arg...

:: Reads about surprise baby ::

Well. That's different. Congrats!

FRZ-BRZ - They arent as slow as made out to be but honestly just utterly underwhelming as a daily driver. They are sooooo much fun on the limit but that's for track only . Tooling about town they just arent any better than a Corolla... it's a car where you need to bolt on some fun and noise to make it an interesting DD. A supercharger might add on a limited amount of power but it changes the entire feel of the car even in traffic so it's much more enticing to tool about in. Also being a light car, you dont need much to wake it up and become genuinely fast.

So yeah I'm with a few others on this one - stock = yawn except on a track, supercharged = GIMMIE THE KEYS NOW.... and lordy do they seriously work as a supercharged car.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Sigma X posted:

Great with a supercharger? That's my opinion.

Well, to be fair, that's pretty much anything.

Anyway, I entertained the idea of a FRZ/BRZ (with full intention of adding a supercharger), but ultimately dismissed it. I ended up going the complete opposite direction and bought an off road toy. I have automotive ADHD. One day i want a Mustang then its a truck then its an off road capable SUV then its a FRZ then its a boat then its an airplane then back to a Mustang...

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The problem with the BRZ isn't power, I don't think you need anything more than maybe 150hp on a modern car with their kind of weight. It has to put a smile on your face every time you drive it though and I just don't get that from those cars. I'm the one who should be championing a low horsepower sports car and I really couldn't care less.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

IOwnCalculus posted:

Perhaps something American, with a nice big V8, but also cheap.

Conversion van or go home.
:colbert:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

ExplodingSims posted:

Conversion van or go 60 year-old dump truck.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

ExplodingSims posted:

Conversion van or go home.

Conversion van and be home, wherever you are.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
If I can't find a clean 280Z example, then I'm going to get another loving RX-7 because a 944 is too expensive and I owe it to my two previous RX's to take care of one this time. This Cobalt is all well and good for a home-to-school runabout, but I feel nothing for it.

*I will gently caress up this next RX-7.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

No, the problem with the BRZ isn't power

It's torque. specifically 120ft/lbs@3-4000rpm. way less than half of a focus ST. Around half of a fiesta ST.

It doesn't have what you need for fun DDing, and what it does have isn't where you need it. You can't plant the throttle and go "wheee" before letting off at the speed limit. It doesn't buck or snort or kick or scream. It just switches from wash cycle to spin cycle.

I have 200hp in a 5000lb car and it's fun because when you mash the throttle it growls like it's pissed off and squats until it's at the speed limit. It's slow but entertaining.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I still can't get over the whole coming home from a day at the office, looking forward to a quiet evening in front of the TV and *bam!* - instant fatherhood!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
No, the problem with the BRZ-FR-S is solely the power/torque. New cars that are as solidly built as that car is can handle far more, and the reason old shitboxes with 150hp "seem" more exciting to you is because you can legally drive it 'at the limit' in a straight line at 30 mph instead of the slightly less legal constant-65 mph, regardless-of-steering-angle, that the BRZ/FR-S requires to get any sort of joy out of it.

If you aren't getting a smile on your face from driving the FR-S it's because you aren't driving it fast enough, because you're daily driving it in a built-up area where it's not at it's best at all. It's a bit of a letdown to have to dump the clutch, short-shift and hammer your sports car like a goddamn lunatic to keep up with the guy in the Camry who doesn't even know you're racing.

Source: I have an E92 M3 and taking my uncle's FR-S out on the type of roads it's intended for still made me laugh with delight even 3 days after my dad's funeral

e: beaten

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Tide posted:

Well, to be fair, that's pretty much anything.

Anyway, I entertained the idea of a FRZ/BRZ (with full intention of adding a supercharger), but ultimately dismissed it. I ended up going the complete opposite direction and bought an off road toy. I have automotive ADHD. One day i want a Mustang then its a truck then its an off road capable SUV then its a FRZ then its a boat then its an airplane then back to a Mustang...

I also got sucked into the 86 twins hype; until I test drove one. Fellow forums-goer P.Wheatstraw got one of the first (I believe) in the MD area and let me test drive it (while I swapped him my Porsche). It handled nicely, the steering was direct enough not to feel too off from the Cayman, but the overall driving presence of the car was underwhelming. Unpleasant engine noise, poor torque overall and the infamous torque dip, and 200-ish HP didn't really make for as much fun as you might expect from a cheap, lightweight, RWD sports car. When I badgered him into taking it to a SCCA HPDE at Summit Point to enjoy it as it was meant to be enjoyed, he let me have it for a session on track. It wasn't bad, but it also was not impressively good. There's video of the instructor running it around the track and not looking especially impressive in it. Not very good stock at going fast, although very controllable, and not very fun for day-to-day driving. I'm sure I can pick nits with pretty much any car, nothing's perfect after all, but the stock car just left me feeling wanting.

After getting sucked into the FiST hype (Thanks, Matt Farrah?) I've been reconsidering what my next car will be. Grab a twin, slap a supercharger on it, stickier rubber and some light track day brakes and I'm sure it'd be a completely different animal. Which is why I'm considering one alongside an E92 M3.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 2, 2016

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Sigma X posted:

nothing's perfect after all

an E92 M3.

Stop contradicting yourself.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

MustardFacial posted:

If I can't find a clean 280Z example, then I'm going to get another loving RX-7 because a 944 is too expensive and I owe it to my two previous RX's to take care of one this time. This Cobalt is all well and good for a home-to-school runabout, but I feel nothing for it.

*I will gently caress up this next RX-7.

Compare a RX8 to a FRS/BRZ. I'll wait.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The good news is, quite soon, cummins is going to start selling the fix for both the RX8 and the FRS/BRZ as a crate engine.

Can the RX-8 6 speed handle 385ft/lbs?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Ether Frenzy posted:

Stop contradicting yourself.

I don't even OWN an E92 M3 but I already know what nits I've got to pick with it (having owned an M Coupe). #1 is, other BMW owners. #2 is, everything for a BMW is >3x as expensive as for a "normal" consumer sports car like a Mustang or Camaro.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

McTinkerson posted:

Compare a RX8 to a FRS/BRZ. I'll wait.

RX8's are ugly.

[edit] when I say "I'm going to gently caress up this next RX-7" I mean this:

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 2, 2016

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I think he's got enough problems without have to plan 2 cross country road trips. :v:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Sigma X posted:

I don't even OWN an E92 M3 but I already know what nits I've got to pick with it (having owned an M Coupe). #1 is, other BMW owners. #2 is, everything for a BMW is >3x as expensive as for a "normal" consumer sports car like a Mustang or Camaro.

Yeah, those are about the only two drawbacks I've found after having mine for ~21 months now. Tires are $1200 a set and it gets 14mpg, but those are both functions of how good it is to drive.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

The good news is, quite soon, cummins is going to start selling the fix for both the RX8 and the FRS/BRZ as a crate engine.

This makes me excited in my excited parts.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Powershift posted:

That seems like a remarkably lightweight engine given the displacement, power, and materials.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

scuz posted:

This makes me excited in my excited parts.

I've been bugging people for more info, but nobody is allowed to say anything.

It should be ~$6000. So that's cheaper than an LS3, about the same weight, more torque at 1800rpm.

So when you consider a supercharger kit for a FRS is $3,800, and probably won't give you 40mpg........

IOwnCalculus posted:

That seems like a remarkably lightweight engine given the displacement, power, and materials.

It's around 25"x25"x29", barely larger than an old 350 chevy. around 6 inches shorter lengthwise than an LS1.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 2, 2016

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

MustardFacial posted:

RX8's are ugly.

:hfive:

I see multiple daily, none are ever doing above 2000rpm.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Holy cow! Glad you're okay.

I didn't mean to sound insensitive, if it came off that way. I'm glad the guy in this instance is okay too. Its hard to know what to expect from air guns because there's such a difference between an airsoft, a daisy, and a high powered air rifle.

Agreed on all counts! And you weren't insensitive. Just a subject that tends to keep me on edge, so my apologies!

As previously mentioned, I do tend to be a bit reactionary, specifically for the reason you stated. People tend to underestimate what some air rifles can do, and tend to be dismissive of the subject ( Sure, it was "just a bb gun!").

I was very fortunate that the primary negative outcome was some PTSD and nothing more.

Moving on.... Sorry for the derail. Glad your coworker is OK ricco.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

MustardFacial posted:

RX8's are ugly.

Having ridden in a ls2 equipped one. loving do it. It's not completely tuned yet, but hauls so much rear end. Don't do a 6 pouch clutch though. I think that was the downfall of the one I ride in.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Anything other than a rotary in an FD is wrong

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

MustardFacial posted:

RX8's are ugly.

Please don't. That's so tacky and awful.

Everyone puts on those stupid "CORVETTE!" engine covers, don't be that guy.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Apparently both roommates on the opposite side of the hallway woke up this morning during the rain storm to cracks in their ceiling with water dripping on them.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

CommieGIR posted:

Happens when no bloody dealership stocks them, and even econoboxes are drat near $20k these days.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Raluek posted:

Please don't. That's so tacky and awful.

Everyone puts on those stupid "CORVETTE!" engine covers, don't be that guy.

confirmed

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

The only fact I remember about the FRS/BRZ is that it's slower around Laguna Seca than a V6 Mustang.

Beach Bum posted:

The newer V6 Mustangs really aren't all that bad, honestly.
They really aren't, as long as you get the manual. A V6 with a slushbox is just another commuter car.

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 3, 2016

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

N is for Nipples posted:

The only fact I remember about the FRS/BRZ is that it's slower around Laguna Seca than a V6 Mustang.

The newer V6 Mustangs really aren't all that bad, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Maksimus54 posted:

I know I'm not some poster anyone knows, but I just had the biggest life changing 12 hours of my life and I have to share somewhere. My fiance just had a baby at home at 5:15 august 1st. We did not know she was pregnant. She delivered it herself. The house looks like a scene from the Walking Dead. I'm a dad and I have had no notice and holy poo poo guys we don't even have a name picked out jesus christ

:dogbutton:

• Locked thread