Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

Well, Mega-Tyranitar isn't such a better option than just regular Tyranitar with a Choice item.

Mega Salamence yeah, that thing is retardly OP, mainly because it can get a free cheapshot Intimidate on top of Mega Evolving and getting stupid stats

The point is Tyranitar's good already. It doesn't need a Mega form, especially one that's just 'the same but more so'.

less laughter posted:

Spiky-Eared Pichu being the one exception

Pikachu-coloured Pichu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Dabir posted:

Pikachu-coloured Pichu

Isn't that just a shiny Pichu?

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

What I'm wondering if any of the gen 1 forms will be the equivalent of megas though. Like Iceshrew and Icepix are both very different from their normal counterpart, but tall Exeggutor looks like it could of been a mega.

Tall Exeggutor coming out of the mega orb would've been great.

I'm not ready to say good-bye to Mega Slowbro.

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
If the leak is true then it has tipped my starter decision from cat to owl. Muscle cat just doesn't appeal to me.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I LIKE THIS STARTER BECAUSE DURFA HURF

I LIKE THIS STARTER BETTER CUZ DURFFA HURFA HURF

that's you. That's all of you.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Just throw all the overpowered megas into the trash and let us keep the rest of them which are fun and good. Its not like most of them are anywhere near as broken as salamance and kangaskhan are.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Zoran posted:

Isn't that just a shiny Pichu?

it is and you can transfer it forward, so idk what he's trying to say

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

alolan dragonite and the rest of its line should be part water type

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Bakalakadaka posted:

Your Starter Sucks

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Yes agreed, mermaid seal IS terrible

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The real question is why you expected anything different from the "Pokemon Megathread 6.0"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Internet Kraken posted:

Just throw all the overpowered megas into the trash and let us keep the rest of them which are fun and good. Its not like most of them are anywhere near as broken as salamance and kangaskhan are.

I'd be super down for this. Alola Beedril makes a ton of sense anyway, same with Alola Slowbro.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

What starter do you like.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

starter discussion is fine, the real problem here is that everyone is wrong but me

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012
Mega Stone

Use it like a fire stone to evolve all the 2-stage and 1-stage pokemon into +50 bst versions of their mega. Then just nix the ones that are over powered.

Oh wait Rayquaza doesn't need a stone.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Zoran posted:

If Game Freak is already willing to slaughter some sacred cows this generation, they could easily retain the existing Mega designs but ditch the mechanic by either making them into regular permanent evolutions (with appropriate stat adjustments, since they could now hold items) or implementing them as "regional variations" like the Alola forms.

It seems strange to say there's even a chance something like that would ever happen, since Game Freak historically hasn't given a poo poo about competitive balance and has been pretty reluctant to alter things like Pokémon stats and evolution methods, but they dipped their toes into it with Gen 6 (no Gems, minor stat boosts to weak Pokémon, changes to the type chart for the first time in four generations) and it does seem like they're making some pretty radical choices this time around.

All that said, there's still a very good chance that Megas are back and completely unaltered.

You couldn't keep them as regional differences since they have 100 BST added on top of the normal form unless you expect them to just make Alola Variants that are straight up better than non-Alola versions. Or they could remove the stat bonus which would kill 90% of what makes most of the mega's good and as much as they're doing new in this gen it's still hard to believe that they're gonna add 4th tier evolutions (and 4th tier Split evolutions in Charmander's case).

MEga's are either going to be in unchanged or not at all, and I doubt they're be just straight up cut.

Abundant Atrophy posted:

Mega Stone

Use it like a fire stone to evolve all the 2-stage and 1-stage pokemon into +50 bst versions of their mega. Then just nix the ones that are over powered.

Oh wait Rayquaza doesn't need a stone.

If you cut 50 points from them all the mega's are all gonna be poo poo. For example, Mega Pinsir would either hit too weak or be too slow to live.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I'd be super down for this. Alola Beedril makes a ton of sense anyway, same with Alola Slowbro.

I would be OK with an Alobro

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Attestant posted:

What starter do you like.

The one that is a pokemon and is cool.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it's hard to believe but it looks like golem was really a kanto form gigalith all along. also pachirisu /emolga were just sinnoh/unova form pikachus. dedenne is pure and good though

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Alola form Porygon has been discovered. Its a flimsy model made out of wood and vines.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I'm having the same reaction to these starters as I did with X/Y's, where my initial reaction is "these suck" but after dwelling on them for long enough I really like them. Archerlet was really disappointing me, but I'm all in for him. Siren Popplio is great, be careful who you make fun of in middle school

I'm torn on Megas. There are a small few designs I'll really miss but most of the Megas are really lovely looking and the ones that are busted are SO busted that I would have no qualms with them just completely evaporating. Make Mawile, Sableye, Banette etc. just normally evolve into those guys in my opinion, even though it might be kinda hosed

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
So I went and captured all of the notable post-game stuff in X, got 365 days of Pokebank and stashed my pokes in there, and started a new game for my Wonder Trade team: I figured it'd be a neat challenge run like a nuzlocke. Trade until I have 6 different new pokemon, ones I didn't use on my first run, no repeats, and all under level 10. I end up with:

A random just caught Poochyena and Lotad. Seems about as expected, random ORAS stuff since it's the newer game.

but then it's like

Adamant Trapinch
Adamant Dratini
Adamant Marill (with Huge Power + Superpower)
Adamant Gible

I was expecting a motley crew of weird pokemon, not a whole bunch of scary dragons and physical powerhouses. Maybe I should just do the usual Nuzlocke stuff instead. :psyduck:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

when a pokemon holding a mega stone its evolved form could use evolves, the evolved pokemon takes on the form of the mega evolution but the stats are normal. and maybe the ability too.

please just let me keep mega medicham/pinsir/gardevoir

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

do not give sableye eviolite.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

eviolite is now consumed on hit like the damage reducing berries

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Imagine this being Fire/Dragon Alola Charmander that eventually becomes Charizard X

(from here)

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

oddium posted:

please just let me keep mega medicham/pinsir/gardevoir

GF can take out my beloved Mega Evolutions as long as they take out those hideous Alola starters along with them

It will be my ultimate sacrifice. Farewell my lovelies

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Yes agreed, mermaid seal IS terrible

:saddowns: no they're cool and my friend.

Seriously, I love mermaids and I've been wanting a mermaid Pokemon for like 20 years. Popplio is now my favorite starter of all time.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Seriously though, are we assuming that the starter evos are real because of the leaks, or has Gamefreak actually shown that they are?

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Ruggington posted:

do not give sableye eviolite.

Good thing eviolite will not be available in gen 7.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Attestant posted:

So I went and captured all of the notable post-game stuff in X, got 365 days of Pokebank and stashed my pokes in there, and started a new game for my Wonder Trade team: I figured it'd be a neat challenge run like a nuzlocke. Trade until I have 6 different new pokemon, ones I didn't use on my first run, no repeats, and all under level 10. I end up with:

A random just caught Poochyena and Lotad. Seems about as expected, random ORAS stuff since it's the newer game.

but then it's like

Adamant Trapinch
Adamant Dratini
Adamant Marill (with Huge Power + Superpower)
Adamant Gible

I was expecting a motley crew of weird pokemon, not a whole bunch of scary dragons and physical powerhouses. Maybe I should just do the usual Nuzlocke stuff instead. :psyduck:

Some people throw their breeding rejects onto WT so you can actually get some half-way decent stuff off it. I did one WT pokemon for my X/Y Nuzlocke run and got a chikorita. X/Y is great for Nuzlocke due to the pokemon variety though. Right now my team is;

-Bayleef
-Tentacruel
-Tauros
-Chimecho
-Dodrio
-Trapinch

That's after a handful got killed because X/Y is kind of hard as a Nuzlocke. Disabling exp share means a lot of leader pokemon will outlevel you slightly.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Seriously though, are we assuming that the starter evos are real because of the leaks, or has Gamefreak actually shown that they are?

People are assuming they're real because they came out with a bunch of other spoilers including the Aloha forms.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

BearDrivingTruck posted:

GF showed Mallow (the girl from the Litten evo art and likely Ash's next traveling companion on the show) in the latest trailer. You can stop swimming in that Egyptian river.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

BearDrivingTruck posted:

They're still unconfirmed, but the leaked starter evo pictures include a picture of one of the new characters who was only revealed yesterday, plus mentioned the lack of Gyms (all but confirmed) and the Alola forms (confirmed) long before they were announced yesterday. It's still possible that the starters won't evolve into grass/flying archowl, fire/fighting catwrassler, and water merseal, and the same leak did mention that the starters might have alternate final evolutions, but it seems more likely than not that the leaked final evos are real.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I think it's almost entirely because of the small "girl with flower in hair" that looks a lot like the Grass captain/Not-Gym Leader. So it's tough to really deny.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Serena is the only female traveling companion allowed now and forever

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

BearDrivingTruck posted:

The last trailer showed a character that's on the leaked artworks of the final evos.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the starters are grass/flying fire/fighting water/ice by the way. please do not ask for or seek out confirmation

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

less laughter posted:

GF can take out my beloved Mega Evolutions as long as they take out those hideous Alola starters along with them

It will be my ultimate sacrifice. Farewell my lovelies

i think you'll come around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

greatn posted:

Serena is the only female traveling companion allowed now and forever

Serena is the most boring main character the show has ever had, I'm really glad she's on the way out.

• Locked thread