Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

straight up brolic posted:

A bunch of apolitical, traditional "vote reds" that I know are changing from Trump to Hillary because he's a vile human being.

There are most definitely a significant group of people that do not have their minds made up because both the candidates are disliked.

A good friend of mine is a hardcore libertarian who's always voted right and he's begrudgingly voting for Hillary because he thinks Trump is an absolute conman. He would've begrudgingly voted for Cruz if he was the nominee even though he hated his religious stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

he's also a vietnamese flying ace

I mean he's also an rear end in a top hat with terrible opinions and no political spine, on top of the Forrestal. He might be a "war hero" but that doesn't protect him from political criticism nor does it absolve him of the deaths on the Forrestal.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 2, 2016

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Clinton +3 in Arizona

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/760568942536585218?s=09

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ryan and McCain will be fine as long as this is as bad as Trump gets, so no worries.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Haven't seen it posted -- here are the numbers ($$$) that the Hilldawg rasied in July:

- about $90 million total
- from the total, about $63 million for her campain
- from the total, about $26 million for the DNC

- Hillary still has about $58 million on hand

e: (54% of the money raised in July were from new donors)

e2: the average donation, through Hillary For America, was $44

She raised about 9 million of that in 24 hours after her acceptance speech.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

a shameful boehner posted:

"The Myth of the Robber Barons" :cripes:

I'm surprised they didn't include the entire "Politically Incorrect Guide to" series.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Most dem volunteers I've run into are middle aged or older women. Lots of retirees. Granted we are in a blue state and drive over to a swing state to canvass. Most have a very close understanding of who's running at local levels and have volunteered in 00, 04, 08, etc.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/teddyschleifer/status/759831235900248064

Surprisingly, no Rand. Von Mises and Hayek though.

Donors to the Koch Brothers must be awful.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

zoux posted:

Ugghhh I've spent too much time in the libertarian thread, I recognize so many of those names now :smith:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

theshim posted:

Ugghhh I've spent too much time in the libertarian thread, I recognize so many of those names now :smith:
Yeah, and I'll bet you can name all ten commandments to the Declaration of Independence too, so what are you complaining about? Educate yourself!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean he's also an rear end in a top hat with terrible opinions and no political spine, on top of the Forrestal. He might be a "war hero" but that doesn't protect him from political criticism nor does it absolve him of the deaths on the Forrestal.

Isn't that one of those chain email legends?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
that AZ pollster is only rated C+ on 538. still pretty funny for Clinton to be leading at all, in any poll, though

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

uhh how is the forrestal accident in any way mccain's fault

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

What kind of miserable people actually read all that stuff? I spend waaaaay too much time keeping up with politics, but I can barely tell you who my senators and representative is. I just do it for the schadenfreude. To donate a bunch of money then be given homework is crazy.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

zoux posted:

It's time for everyone's friendly reminder that Von Mises believed that observational data couldn't counter his theories, they were such pure underlying truths of the universe

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Lightning Knight posted:

Isn't John McCain the guy who only got anywhere because of nepotism and who actively caused the deaths of dozens of servicemen on the Forrestal and got away with it because nepotism?
lol no he narrowly avoided death on the forrestal by jumping into a loving puddle of jet fuel and getting shot off then internet people made up some lie that is was all his fault

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
Ryan's campaign has responded to Trump.

https://twitter.com/jonward11/status/760595843816693760

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

From what I can tell McCain was involved in the incident but nothing in the wikipedia article says that its his fault, or he acted badly during it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_USS_Forrestal_fire

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

I was wondering whether to switch my voter registration to Maryland but gently caress that I'll keep in AZ for one more year and hope to be part of swinging it blue.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

emdash posted:

that AZ pollster is only rated C+ on 538. still pretty funny for Clinton to be leading at all, in any poll, though

It's the only rated post-convention poll, though, so there's that

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I was wondering whether to switch my voter registration to Maryland but gently caress that I'll keep in AZ for one more year and hope to be part of swinging it blue.

that is a good idea, we in MD have things under control i'm sure

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

Popular Thug Drink posted:

uhh how is the forrestal accident in any way mccain's fault

It isn't. The Forrestal fire was caused by a short in the firing circuit of a Zuni rocket (not on McCain's plane). McCain was in the cockpit of his plane, which was near/in the flames. He managed to get out on the refueling probe and jump off, whereupon he went down to the squadron ready room and hung out, rather than assist in the damage control efforts. Certainly didn't cover himself in glory, but he wasn't culpable for the fire and loss of life.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Rise of the Warrior Cop? They do know that's anti police militarization right?

They're True Believers so they probably thinking militarized police are suppressing true freedom or something

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

emdash posted:

I have a disturbing number of acquaintances talking going third-party here in Baltimore. Guess their ancestry!

Thankfully Maryland is safely Democrat, but it still makes me want to tear my hair out.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

Aesop Poprock posted:

A good friend of mine is a hardcore libertarian who's always voted right and he's begrudgingly voting for Hillary because he thinks Trump is an absolute conman. He would've begrudgingly voted for Cruz if he was the nominee even though he hated his religious stuff

If he was that hardcore, wouldn't he vote Johnson or does he identify as Libertarian but always follows the "3rd party voting is a waste" rhetoric... or do the Libertarians not support libertarian ideals?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

CarterUSM posted:

It isn't. The Forrestal fire was caused by a short in the firing circuit of a Zuni rocket (not on McCain's plane). McCain was in the cockpit of his plane, which was near/in the flames. He managed to get out on the refueling probe and jump off, whereupon he went down to the squadron ready room and hung out, rather than assist in the damage control efforts. Certainly didn't cover himself in glory, but he wasn't culpable for the fire and loss of life.

isn't that what a pilot is supposed to do? i dont want to spend a million bucks training a guy to fly a war plane only to have him die because he wanted to play firefighter

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

CarterUSM posted:

?

This is McCain's own account of what happened afterwards:

quote:

McCain, 1967 statement: I started running over towards him and I was near a group of men with a fire hose. As I was about 10 feet from him the first bomb exploded and blew me back about 15 feet. I sat up and saw a lot of bodies near me (some who had been on the hose) and I ran and jumped over the starboard cat walk [under the flight deck].

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

theshim posted:

The only book I've read from that list is "Rise of the Warrior Cop: The Militarization of America's Police Forces."

It's a critique of overly aggressive police tactics written by a libertarian author, with detailed research and valid concerns about why modern day police use military style overwhelming force against non-violent offenders. I think it was written before Ferguson.

It might also be the only book praised by Ron Paul and Glenn Greenwald. One of the most interesting parts was the author looking into how tiny towns can easily get funding and equipment for a SWAT team, without having the need, leading to bored departments deploying undertrained officers unnecessarily and with tragic results. It's a good read, the author sticks to facts and I didn't think he espoused fringe views.

I can't speak for anything else the author wrote, or any other books on that list.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

emdash posted:

Is there anything down ballot in Maryland that's going to be close? I haven't dug into the ballot measures and whatnot yet

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CarterUSM posted:

Not even that, dude jumped into a pool of flaming fuel, got blown a few yards by the whole 'exploding bombs around him' thing, and still managed to run a hose around a bit. I think short of Steve Rodgers standards he did everything a rando soldier could.

Like people say when talking about Trump poo poo talking him 'getting captured', there's tons of reasons to hate him for his actual actions and words, we don't need to invent genuinely pretty terrible lies about him.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

This will be the ultimate test for how much pull Trump has in the party. Personally, I think he'll shift the results a bit but Ryan will still win.

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

Popular Thug Drink posted:

isn't that what a pilot is supposed to do? i dont want to spend a million bucks training a guy to fly a war plane only to have him die because he wanted to play firefighter

For most damage control, yes. When there's an existential threat to the ship, though, you're expected to pitch in wherever possible. The Forrestal had most of its flight deck firefighters killed or incapacitated by the bomb explosions, and the fire was mainly fought by regular sailors. A few other pilots jumped in and either took command of teams or aided firefighting/DC teams to control the fire. McCain helped a few crew toss bombs overboard, and then went to the ready room (note that he wasn't the only pilot to do so, it's not like he sat there all by his lonesome watching the fire on the monitors). The Forrestal fire was a legitimate threat to the seaworthiness of the ship. Between the explosives cooking off and the potential for blast holes in the flight deck to access the hangar deck (with more aircraft and fuel), it was essential to get the fire under control, or lose the ship. I'm not faulting McCain for his actions (and yeah, my initial post was too harsh in tone...I'm a former sailor, and damage control was drilled into me pretty heavily), mostly saying that he followed basic protocol, but certainly could have gone above and beyond in the face of what was happening.

CarterUSM fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 2, 2016

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Is there anything down ballot in Maryland that's going to be close? I haven't dug into the ballot measures and whatnot yet

http://www.elections.state.md.us/elections/2016/ballot_questions/index.html

Only question listed is an Amendment to ensure the governor chooses someone from the same political party if the AG or Comptroller steps down.

I believe Van Hollen(D) is expected to win the Senate seat in a walk, but I don't know of any new pooling there to confirm.

farraday fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 3, 2016

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Lightning Knight posted:

no, a vietnamese flying ace

as opposed to one for the USAF

b/c he lost 5 planes

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Paradoxish posted:

Could Ryan even reasonably retract his endorsement? I mean, obviously he could, but the Speaker of the House pulling back his endorsement of his party's candidate for a purely self interested reason seems like a potential disaster. It seems like Trump endorsing Ryan's primary opponent would leave Ryan with literally no acceptable options.

To be a poo poo-fly on the wall of anyone caught in Trump's poo poo cyclone.

I just want a sample of their candid conversations with family members and advisers, quietly/privately freaking the gently caress out that an orange man has come out of their TVs like that girl in The Ring to gently caress their political lives up.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CarterUSM posted:

For most damage control, yes. When there's an existential threat to the ship, though, you're expected to pitch in wherever possible. The Forrestal had most of its flight deck firefighters killed or incapacitated by the bomb explosions. A few other pilots jumped in and either took command of teams or aided firefighting/DC teams to control the fire. McCain helped a few crew toss bombs overboard, and then went to the ready room (note that he wasn't the only pilot to do so, it's not like he sat there all by his lonesome watching the fire on the monitors). The Forrestal fire was a legitimate threat to the seaworthiness of the ship. Between the explosives cooking off and the potential for blast holes in the flight deck to access the hangar deck (with more aircraft and fuel), it was essential to get the fire under control, or lose the ship. I'm not faulting McCain for his actions (and yeah, my initial post was too harsh in tone...I'm a former sailor, and damage control was drilled into me pretty heavily), mostly saying that he followed basic protocol, but certainly could have gone above and beyond in the face of what was happening.

Mind you, I don't know whether those other pilots who chipped in more were quite as injured as McCain. Apparently, he came out of it with some fairly unpleasant burns and shrapnel wounds.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
Ryan's primary gets me thinking about longer term strategy. In the 2018 midterm elections, D's are going to face a lovely senate map. They need to start tying potential challengers to Trump in the most damning ways possible now, and not give anyone viable a chance to lay low. Trump could be a concrete block cast around the proverbial elephant ankles, but Dems have a fair amount of maneuvering to do to push it to the edge of the pier.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

CarterUSM posted:

For most damage control, yes. When there's an existential threat to the ship, though, you're expected to pitch in wherever possible. The Forrestal had most of its flight deck firefighters killed or incapacitated by the bomb explosions. A few other pilots jumped in and either took command of teams or aided firefighting/DC teams to control the fire. McCain helped a few crew toss bombs overboard, and then went to the ready room (note that he wasn't the only pilot to do so, it's not like he sat there all by his lonesome watching the fire on the monitors). The Forrestal fire was a legitimate threat to the seaworthiness of the ship. Between the explosives cooking off and the potential for blast holes in the flight deck to access the hangar deck (with more aircraft and fuel), it was essential to get the fire under control, or lose the ship. I'm not faulting McCain for his actions (and yeah, my initial post was too harsh in tone...I'm a former sailor, and damage control was drilled into me pretty heavily), mostly saying that he followed basic protocol, but certainly could have gone above and beyond in the face of what was happening.
other people got on the hose because they could react to the incident. McCain's plane (or the plane next to his, it's contested) was hit by the loving Zuni so McCain had to get out of the cockpit, into the heart of the fire, and then was blown up by a loving bomb 90 seconds after the start of the fire.

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

Darth Walrus posted:

Mind you, I don't know whether those other pilots who chipped in more were quite as injured as McCain. Apparently, he came out of it with some fairly unpleasant burns and shrapnel wounds.

True. I went back and looked at the account, and I hadn't realized that he got shrapnel wounds from the sympathetic explosions. That's definitely a fair point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

I'm assuming the remaining 9% went to harambe

• Locked thread