Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Real hurthling! posted:

is it by the same team as sniper elite? i thought there was one of those already coming out soon?
Nope, it's by another Polish studio and they keep pushing out sequels because Sniper: GW series is extremely popular in Germany for some reason. Seriously it tops charts on every platform for months after every release and I don't know what the hell is going on, I guess Germans like sniping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The true final boss of Ys Origin is goddamn epic.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Phantasium posted:

Also maybe check if what you want to play is playable on a Vita TV if you don't care about portability since it's significantly cheaper.

I do care somewhat about portability in that games like that are ideal for laying in bed or w/e

Also I already own a PSTV but that loving thing breaks more often than a teenager's voice, and is in fact currently broken

Bought p4g on it a while back but never got around to playing it, and Atelier Ayesha but only got like an hour and a half in before the drat thing broke most recently

(edit) I also find lately that I don't care for TV consoles anymore but I'm still trying to divine the reason for that--I suspect it's because it keeps me away from the computer. Actually sold my PS4 and WiiU recently from sheer disuse

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 2, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ive never heard of a PSTV breaking, what happened to it?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

Ive never heard of a PSTV breaking, what happened to it?

Being broken is it's natural state of being, as long as it can never play Dracula X Chronicles.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Refuses to load up games is problem #1, and refusing to pair with controllers (even those plugged in via USB) is #2. It's always been one or the other once in a while but it became a 100% guarantee that I'd get one or both a while back

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

vita is a cool system and p4g is real good but you might wanna just save the money for p5 in february idk

No PS3 or PS4 anymore and see previous posts regarding me and TV console games nowadays but I imagine there'd be a P5G or equivalent someday

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Eh unless Sony makes another handheld (they will not) I don't see P5G happening. Maybe a PS4 GOTY edition or something.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

has anyone played the new TTG Batman game? how are we feeling about it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Steve2911 posted:

Eh unless Sony makes another handheld (they will not) I don't see P5G happening. Maybe a PS4 GOTY edition or something.

Given Atlus' habit of being unbelievably behind hardware wise (isn't P5 coming to PS3 as well?) I wouldn't be surprised either way if it did or didn't come to Vita eventually

Still on the fence on buying one though!!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Oh god, not another.

Real hurthling! posted:

is it by the same team as sniper elite? i thought there was one of those already coming out soon?

NO. NO NO NO. Sniper Ghost Warrior is a TERRIBAD series that seriously blows chunks. I think the only way it sells is because people constantly confuse it for Sniper Elite.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

oh beans i just remember i never bought the mario maker rubik's cube from target and now they're like 25 dollars

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ciaphas posted:

Should I buy a Vita so I can maybe play P4G and some Atelier games

sure, though you could play those specific games at least on a pstv for much cheaper

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

atelier games are good, they are great

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
How is that free D&D MMO Neverwinter? I just noticed it's on PS4. Along with some Sword Coast game that's like a D&D RPGMaker with RTWP gameplay? Are either of these things worth a drat?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

precision posted:

How is that free D&D MMO Neverwinter? I just noticed it's on PS4. Along with some Sword Coast game that's like a D&D RPGMaker with RTWP gameplay? Are either of these things worth a drat?

No.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

mankind divided will have "aug lives matter" in it this will go great

they didnt even use correct grammar

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
So I said I’d do this last month, and now I’m gonna do it this month!

Edutainment mega-effort-kind-of-post-thing

For some weird reason I felt like playing a shitload of old edutainment games from when I was a kid (early 90s) and it was weirdly compelling. Yeah, overall these are experiences meant for grade-schoolers, but it’s funny how you still occasionally get stumped and it’s kind of refreshing to play some games where the main goal is to just answer some easy questions and solve some weird puzzles. I’m’a just do this in order of release.

Mixed-Up Mother Goose
* Sierra, 1987

More like messed up Mother Goose… give Bobbin's mother back!

This is probably the weirdest one of the bunch, the least educational, and I think the oldest I played through. It’s kind of worth it if you like adventure games since it’s really short and basic, just find an item and bring it to the right screen to “solve” the “puzzles”, and it’s really interesting to see an early Sierra game where you don’t experience horrible grisly death every ten seconds.

Oh wait, but you do! It’s just you end up causing untold horrors to happen to everyone else. You give Humpty Dumpty a ladder so he can fall to his death, are directly responsible for the old woman who lives in a shoe beating the everloving poo poo out of her kids, and you return Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater’s wife to him so that he can murder her horribly and stuff her corpse in a vegetable. Charming!

Fun as a piece of video game history, kind of terrible as a game. There was apparently a “Deluxe” CD version released for the Mac, but man gently caress setting up Sheepshaver just for this.

drat right you better cheer, I am the bringer of the end-times, jerks.

Number Munchers
* MECC, 1988 (maybe 1986? having a hard time nailing this one down)

Those aren’t numbers you fools!

A schoolroom classic, Number Munchers is kinda weird but still pretty playable. Munch the numbers based on a couple of different options like finding equations that add up to a target number, multiples of a given, etc. And avoid those dang Troggles!

It’s kind of Pac-Man like but there’s absolutely no maze to it, just a grid of numbers to munch (or not to munch, that is the question). Probably decent for brushing up on math skills, but when it’s not a distraction from whatever else you’re doing in 2nd grade computer lab it does tend to wear out its welcome a little quickly. Also notable, some of the highest difficulty stuff is really rough to try to do in your head. :pseudo:

Math!!!

Super Solvers: Outnumbered!
Super Solvers: Midnight Rescue!
* The Learning Company, 1989

Another set that often came installed for free with school computers, these two are basically the same game with some minor differences, but one focuses on math and the other on reading comprehension. They also introduce Morty Maxwell, who I’m kind of sad isn’t considered in the same pantheon of great video game mad scientist villains like Eggman and Dr. Wily.

AKA: Dude Huge

What’s kind of neat here is these are both still fairly fun despite being really simplistic because they’re played for score and speed. The whole Super Solvers series also has a built-in difficulty curve, so as you rank up the questions go from really simple and straightforward to more complex and abstract. It’s never like, astrophysics level knowledge, but you find yourself screwing up more often than you’d expect when you’re rushing for time.

OutNumbered actually has some more interesting parts, since the gameplay is split between math drills and more complex word problems, where Midnight Rescue is seriously just a grade school reading comprehension test. There’s robots to blast in each one, but where you get a math drill in OutNumbered, MR’s bots just get blasted and go away.

Still, bot-blasting being used for education is really something we need more of in today’s school systems, so I’m all for seeing it make a triumphant return.

Side note: Both of these games feature pretty decent use of PC speaker sound for music, which is kind of impressive.

Super Solvers: Treasure Mountain
* The Learning Company, 1990

Another Super Solvers game, but this one’s actually its own game instead of a reskin. You have to wander around hunting elves to catch in a net, who then ask you some fairly basic questions and you logic your way to finding keys and treasures hidden behind stuff.

The educational merit of this one is kind of low, since it’s really easy, but hunting for treasure is kind of fun by itself. When you catch an elf with a scroll, you get one of three clues to find the key, and any objects that match two of the three clues have a treasure behind them. Like if the clue’s “Three Big Acorns”, then three acorns of any size, any number of big acorns, or three big anythings will have treasure behind them. You can sometimes suss it out without catching a single elf if you pay attention, which is kinda fun.

Even though it’s on the easy side I did manage to rank up to Champion, which didn’t really do much other than make me feel special about myself. :unsmith:

Insert Queen solo here.

Super Solvers: Challenge of the Ancient Empires
* The Learning Company, 1990

Imagine if Prince of Persia handled like rear end and it was nothing but switch puzzles pretending to be educational with occasional jigsaw and logic puzzles. Congrats, you’re playing Challenge of the Ancient Empires!

This game isn’t very good, honestly, so it doesn’t get a longer writeup.

Super Solvers: Operation Neptune
* The Learning Company, 1991

So serious.

Who wants to SAVE THE OCEAN!?!?!? No? Well, OK then. I don’t care. Get in this easily damaged submarine loaded with ink blasters for some reason and go scour the reef for conch shells and math problems. Watch out for puffer fish!

Sort of like Challenge of the Ancient Empires, this game isn’t very good, so I don’t have much else to say. There’s no sense of humor to it, the puzzles aren’t particularly interesting, and the sub controls like butt.

I could probably trick someone into thinking this is a long lost XCOM expansion though…

The Castle of Dr. Brain
* Sierra, 1991

Just a little creepy.

Another Sierra oddity, though this time around it’s even less like King’s Quest, and is actually basically a classic that I’d recommend to anyone.

In Dr. Brain, you wander around the castle in first person solving all kinds of different puzzles like magic squares, word searches, jigsaw puzzles, slide puzzles, robot puzzles, all kinds of random crap. It’s got awesome music, really cool hand-painted backgrounds, and on the highest difficulty it can be a real bitch at points, which is great.

The Island of Dr. Brain
* Sierra, 1992

Less creepy than the castle, but only because the logo covers up the part he modeled after his own head.

See The Castle of Dr. Brain, only instead of saying “The Castle”, say “The Island”. They’re both awesome games, and this is more of that goodness right here. Even the repeat puzzles like the robot room are done differently enough that it doesn’t feel like the same thing over again.

Specifically for Island of Dr. Brain, it’s kind of a shame that most versions of it are cracked nowadays, since the “hint book” that has the copy protection system stuff in it is also really helpful for some of the puzzles. The patches also break the first puzzle of the game, making it un-loseable, which is a bit of a shame.

Super Solvers: Treasure MathStorm!
* The Learning Company, 1992

“Oh sweet!” You think to yourself. “A math version of Treasure Mountain! This oughta be good!”

You would be, in this case, very highly mistaken. It’s kind of weird to complain about a little kids game (I mean, it’s recommended for ages 5-9) but where OutNumbered was occasionally challenging, the hardest thing about this one is that it doesn’t let you use the numpad.

Kind of weird as well is graphically it’s like a half-upgrade, with lots of old-school pillow shading like it’s some kind of ancient Klik’n’Play game.

Purple is so last season, too.

Probably more fun if you’re an actual small child, this one, though the music’s not half bad and some of the designs are kind of cute, like the abominable doorman.

More like the adorable snowman, am I right? Yes? Anyone?

The Secret Island of Dr. Quandary
* MECC, 1993 (Mac release 1992)

You may have a secret island but you’re no Dr. Brain, pal.

This is an odd one, admittedly. Featuring a creepy body-swap-horror plot and Troggles from Number Muncher, it plays a bit like a Dr. Brain game that’s having a bad acid trip. You get a randomly generated island filled with puzzles and you have to earn trinkets to fulfill a weird escape recipe a la Monkey Island to end the game.

A neat thing about the recipe is it’s more vague on the higher difficulties, so you have to figure out what the hell it’s talking about as well. Ie: “A lock of Elvis’ hair” on easy is “A Graceland souvenir” on the hardest. It’s kind of hard to oversell how weird this game is, too. Apparently it’s also way less ugly on the Mac, which is the version I remember from when I was a kid, but again, bleh to Sheepshaver.

Beware Tax Factor, by the way. That puzzle sucks on toast.

Guy who sucks. On toast.

Super Solvers: Gizmos & Gadgets!
* The Learning Company, 1993

Is a stadium a gizmo or a gadget? The game never clears this up, sadly.

This one’s actually pretty fun, with a wide variety of sort of basic puzzles but enough to keep you occupied so it doesn’t get boring. Hop around mazes like in Challenge of the Ancient Empires but without any crappy switch puzzles, collect vehicle pieces and make sure you build something that doesn’t suck.

Apparently the fish itself is an important part of this machine.

…and watch out for those drat, drat monkeybots, because they’ll steal your poo poo.

Fuckers.

I remember this one most from my middle school days, and it holds up pretty well. I actually particularly like the fact that some of the puzzles have semi-open-ended solutions, particularly the electrical wiring ones, though nothing ever gets very difficult apart from navigating swarms of apeborgs.

That sounds kinda racist, buddy.

And that’s about what I felt like playing through before I got it out of my system. From a design perspective probably the most interesting thing is seeing how different titles were definitely intended to be sold for and used in a classroom setting, like Number Munchers has a really short gameplay loop and the Super Solvers games will save your progress when you quit the program and allow for multiple users with their own saves.

Probably the standouts were the Dr. Brains and Dr. Quandary, though I’d really like to see the more math focused Super Solvers games like OutNumbered and G&G get a bump in difficulty, since they’re fairly fun anyway.

I leave you now with the horrible gory death of Humpty Dumpty, so that it may haunt your days as it does mine.

:nws: :nws:

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 2, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

corn in the bible posted:

sure, though you could play those specific games at least on a pstv for much cheaper

I guess I could just try replacing my broken-rear end PSTV and return it if I keep having problems though honestly I think I'd rather have it in portable form, on reflection

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Dewgy posted:

Edutainment mega-effort-kind-of-post-thing

gently caress yeah we had Mixed-Up Mother Goose on all of the computers at my primary school. I was the first person in my school to beat it! I think a lot of people had issues finding one of the missing items (or maybe not knowing who wanted it) but I was the first one to crack the code because I dunno I guess I knew a lot about nursery rhymes? We also had Number Munchers but lol if you played that over Mother Goose.

My middle school had Treasure Mathstorm, Operation Neptune, and Gizmos and Gadgets but out of those Gadgets got the most play because it was pretty much always considered the best one. I had Treasure Mountain on my home computer (oddly enough, none of my schools had it). I didn't like it as much as my sister did and she filled like five rooms full of treasure. Must have played the game for hours.

Also congratulations this music will now be etched into your brain for all eternity:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6g-tWmOSso

Another game I had was Reader Rabbit 2. It was alright I guess. I liked the spelling/vocab games where you mine crystals with the correct responses on them. I actually don't remember any of the other minigames in it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Mak0rz posted:

Also congratulations this music will now be etched into your brain for all eternity:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6g-tWmOSso

:black101:

It seriously is like the most impressive use of PC speaker sound ever.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Next play Treasure Cove, a game I'm not sure any human being has had the patience to actually beat

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Quest For Glory II posted:

the Steyr AUG is an iconic firearm so I agree.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

:cripes:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://archive.org/details/nintendopower&tab=collection

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Holy poo poo :fap:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I like how the Final Fantasy Strategy Guide doesn't include any information at all on what classes you should use in your party, lol

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Good.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Do these include the grody "Get/renew your subscription" ads like the toenail jar or the giant meatloaf two-page spread?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Either I just got the poo poo griefed out of me by skilled players or everyone in that Age of Empires game I just played has a warped interpretation of "NOOBS ONLY!"

That was my first game with pubbies and I was ground into paste. My teammates were more skilled than me but still couldn't keep up. Maybe now that I actually have a rank I can join games with equally retarded people? I dunno how the ranking thing works tbh.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

http://store.steampowered.com/app/503300/?snr=1_5_9__205

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This must be the work of a one night stand....

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Are Head Lander or Song of the Deep any good? Looking for a new 2D action adventure game.

corn in the bible posted:

atelier games are good, they are great

Agreed.

CJacobs posted:

This must be the work of a one night stand....

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Headlander and song of the deep are both probably ok but i dont think either is a must buy based on what ive seen

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You have to wait a couple of days before calling it a one night stand

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

good news firstaidkite http://store.steampowered.com/app/495910/

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Help Im Alive posted:

Haven't people here been buying Gal Gun

Is it like an ironic thing
You tell me

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2015/08/28/gal-gun-double-peace-unleashes-expensive-pheromone-z-dlc

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/gal*gun-double-peace-%27pheromone-z%27/cid=UP4293-CUSA04675_00-GALGUNWDLC001000

So wait is this just made up entirely of anime girl still images that look like they were made in comipo or something? Like they couldn't even be bothered to draw anything?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Yay! It should be easier to convince people to play now! I think! :D

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Remember when years later after Goldeneye came out and was awesome... the magazines all published NEW cheat codes that were in the game the whole time? Now we could go invisible and unlock characters and whatnot during multiplayer.

Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

That's dumb.

precision posted:

I like how the Final Fantasy Strategy Guide doesn't include any information at all on what classes you should use in your party, lol
All Monks, All the time.

• Locked thread