Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I was even running it at 720p. I mostly got 45 to 50 fps but some places stuck out much worse than blight town on the ps3. Any replayability is dead until i can find an rx480 in stock though, which was a bummer for me since I was enjoying pvp as an invading Mound Maker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Streaming your gameplay really gives you a different perspective - I beat Alrdich on Thursday night and later went back and found out "poo poo, that took an hour and a half of attempts?"

Based on co-oping Aldrich a lot of people can't handle his second phase arrow attack. I learnt to just keep rolling until it stopped but between that and surrounding himself with flames Phase 2 feels pretty unfair. Also I was initially terrified that his teleport attack was going to result in me being sucked into the abyss or dragged under the "water" in that room.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Also I was on my last ember when I beat him, which was a relief. An earlier attempt ended with Aldrich having one or two attacks left in his lifebar after my co-op partner died, would've been a hell of a thing to finish the job.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I find this game incredibly aggravating and I don't know why. As soon as I beat it I went and did like two replays of BB back to back with no fatigue. Now I'm starting a new character and I can't motivate myself to trudge on past the Crucifixion Woods. Maybe it's the lack of regain? Maybe it's the monotonous color palette? The combat which doesn't really feel tuned for anything but a fast weapon? The linear structure? Who knows! All I know is that I am mad, mad about souls. I'll second my general fatigue with "guys in armor" boss fights, it feels like From was chasing the greatness of the Artorias fight but only the Champ really comes close to that high imo

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's probably because they released 3 (4 if you count sotfs) games in as many years. 2014 was ds2, 15 was bb/sotfs, this year is ds3. bb was suitably different from what came before but ds3 evokes both that and every souls game so it just feels pretty samey. I'd probably have liked it more if it'd been released next year instead, even if it was the exact same game. it's a good game but it doesn't change things up in any meaningful way and feels like a step back from bb mechanically

still looking forward to the dlc but not in the same way I did for previous games

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's probably because they released 3 (4 if you count sotfs) games in as many years. 2014 was ds2, 15 was bb/sotfs, this year is ds3. bb was suitably different from what came before but ds3 evokes both that and every souls game so it just feels pretty samey. I'd probably have liked it more if it'd been released next year instead, even if it was the exact same game. it's a good game but it doesn't change things up in any meaningful way and feels like a step back from bb mechanically

still looking forward to the dlc but not in the same way I did for previous games

I have recently gone back to BB and I have little interest in playing DS3 again. I think you may be on to something. The anticipation of waiting for DS2 meant that I really was interested by the time it came out. And BB felt like a similar wait since it was exciting to think about what From was going to do with a new IP. But 3 just feels like they have really wrung what last little bit they could get out of the franchise. I'm sure I will play the DLCs but I doubt it will be a frequent repeater the way BB and DS1 have been for me.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Fuligin posted:

I find this game incredibly aggravating and I don't know why. As soon as I beat it I went and did like two replays of BB back to back with no fatigue. Now I'm starting a new character and I can't motivate myself to trudge on past the Crucifixion Woods. Maybe it's the lack of regain? Maybe it's the monotonous color palette? The combat which doesn't really feel tuned for anything but a fast weapon? The linear structure? Who knows! All I know is that I am mad, mad about souls. I'll second my general fatigue with "guys in armor" boss fights, it feels like From was chasing the greatness of the Artorias fight but only the Champ really comes close to that high imo

It's probably a combination of all of the above. Game was pushed out way too fast, and something or other about the entire pace of the game just feels off (particularly the sense that you're playing dark souls 2 while the enemies are playing bloodborne). A couple specific things about bloodborne's gameplay really get in the way of my ability to enjoy that game as well, but the aesthetic is so much more interesting that I'm willing to put up with it, while I lost interest in dark souls 3 a lot sooner than the others. I did still get 2 full playthroughs out of it though which is a lot more time than many games get, so I can't complain too much. But compared to their other games, they could have done much better.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Everyone probably knows this, but Hidden Body will stop an enemy's soulmass attack from firing at you

Octo1
May 7, 2009

BillmasterCozb posted:

Everyone probably knows this, but Hidden Body will stop an enemy's soulmass attack from firing at you

Same with Alluring Skulls, so basically exactly the same as Dark Souls 1, what a surprise!

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

What are everyone's favorite NG+ builds? I just killed Soul of Cinder and the Nameless King using something resembling the quality build that I unintentionally stumbled into because I had no idea what I was doing. Mostly used either the sellsword twinblades and the dark sword, didn't really mess with magic at all. Figure I should visit Rosaria and respec before starting a new game and trying to decide on a direction.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

HaB posted:

I have recently gone back to BB and I have little interest in playing DS3 again. I think you may be on to something. The anticipation of waiting for DS2 meant that I really was interested by the time it came out. And BB felt like a similar wait since it was exciting to think about what From was going to do with a new IP. But 3 just feels like they have really wrung what last little bit they could get out of the franchise. I'm sure I will play the DLCs but I doubt it will be a frequent repeater the way BB and DS1 have been for me.

For me it's that half the game is even more linear than BB combined with the spotty multiplayer and hacking (or was this fixed it's been a while) and builds don't really start to branch out until the game itself does, so it's almost always the same going through. BB's pretty linear and the builds mostly come down to "did you level strength, skill, or arcane", but even that has more variance before that point with more optional areas. 1 and Scholar were the high points of the series in different departments. DS3's still great, but I'm not going to replay it nearly as often.

I still can't believe I had to have my graphics card forcibly limit the max fps so that DS3 wouldn't overheat my computer, too. What the hell?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 1, 2016

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
My first playthrough I was kind of surprised how lovely my naked man with a Greathammer/UltraGreatsword quality build played and how difficult the game felt. Once I learned that even wearing some lovely rags on any slot reduces the damage you take by about 50% it got a bit easier due to getting one-shot a lot less, but it was still pretty excruciating. My second playthrough I tried using a shield, which I haven't done since my first playthrough of Dark Souls I when it had just come out and in some gimmick runs, with an Astora's Straight Sword and at least up to Cathedral of the Deep it's amazing how much easier the game is. I don't think I'd ever seen such a drastic difference in a Souls game so far, but using a Greatweapon is definitely gimping yourself in this game (even the Astora Greatsword, which is silly strong for how much it weighs).

Then again, Dark Souls II was also a pain in the rear end with all the #360mlgnoscope mid-swing adjustments, hosed up attack hitboxes and instant kill combos everything loved to do. I'm looking at you, Maldron the Assassin, with your instagib greatlance R2.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm still using the knight's starting longsword, upgraded as I get shards. Is this thing ever not going to be my best weapon? It's pretty ridiculous how it outclassed everything else I've tried with its combination of speed, damage and moves.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Maleh-Vor posted:

My first playthrough I was kind of surprised how lovely my naked man with a Greathammer/UltraGreatsword quality build played and how difficult the game felt. Once I learned that even wearing some lovely rags on any slot reduces the damage you take by about 50% it got a bit easier due to getting one-shot a lot less, but it was still pretty excruciating. My second playthrough I tried using a shield, which I haven't done since my first playthrough of Dark Souls I when it had just come out and in some gimmick runs, with an Astora's Straight Sword and at least up to Cathedral of the Deep it's amazing how much easier the game is. I don't think I'd ever seen such a drastic difference in a Souls game so far, but using a Greatweapon is definitely gimping yourself in this game (even the Astora Greatsword, which is silly strong for how much it weighs).

Then again, Dark Souls II was also a pain in the rear end with all the #360mlgnoscope mid-swing adjustments, hosed up attack hitboxes and instant kill combos everything loved to do. I'm looking at you, Maldron the Assassin, with your instagib greatlance R2.

The neat thing is that with scholar you can grab that same great lance right in FotFG. God, that was a fun playthrough. Probably my biggest beef with the linear structure of 3 is how it throttles your weapon choices until the end of the game.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yep, replaying DS recently, I loved how my desired build informed my path through the game. I had to rush certain areas early and avoid others in order to get the spells and equipment I needed at the lowest possible soul level, and it was a blast! DS2 nailed this pretty well, imo.

Good luck doing any of that in DS3....ha.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

notZaar posted:

I'm still using the knight's starting longsword, upgraded as I get shards. Is this thing ever not going to be my best weapon? It's pretty ridiculous how it outclassed everything else I've tried with its combination of speed, damage and moves.

Probably not, it is really good. Since patch 1.07 or whatever it's better than the dark sword. The claymore is better hit for hit, similar in move set, and only a little slower, but the longsword is still king for stamina use. You can swing that thing all day. There are a couple of weapons I would consider better for PvE, but almost all of them are late late game, like the drake blood sword or Yhorm's.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Fuligin posted:

The neat thing is that with scholar you can grab that same great lance right in FotFG. God, that was a fun playthrough. Probably my biggest beef with the linear structure of 3 is how it throttles your weapon choices until the end of the game.

Which is made worse by the fact that NG+ is piss boring - there's not really any chance to use late-game weapons

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

KingSlime posted:

Yep, replaying DS recently, I loved how my desired build informed my path through the game. I had to rush certain areas early and avoid others in order to get the spells and equipment I needed at the lowest possible soul level, and it was a blast! DS2 nailed this pretty well, imo.

Good luck doing any of that in DS3....ha.

When DS2 released everyone hated it for the gimpy weapon selection available until late game, it was only through the DLC and the SotFS re-release that it gained it's current reputation for diverse PvP and early game build selections. Makes u think ...

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Maleh-Vor posted:

UGS/GH are pretty bad PVE, but once you learn how Hyperarmor/Poise works, things like the Black Knight Greatsword become nigh unstoppable in PVP.

big trivia FAIL fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 1, 2016

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
How do you hyperarmor poise

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

multijoe posted:

When DS2 released everyone hated it for the gimpy weapon selection available until late game, it was only through the DLC and the SotFS re-release that it gained it's current reputation for diverse PvP and early game build selections. Makes u think ...

I'm still hopeful that the DLC and any other expansions will turn DS3 from a solid experience into one rivaling DS1 or Bloodborne. I didn't play early DS2 but it sounds like it went through a real ugly duckling phase before becoming the elegant if misunderstood swan that it is today.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
It really really killed the game for me how poo poo the high strength weapons are compared to just your basic lovely swords. Like I got really excited about getting my crazy huge club all done up, but then actually just any poo poo basic slashy sword just pissed all over it. It kind of felt like, there's a right way to play this one. Lame.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

KingSlime posted:

I'm still hopeful that the DLC and any other expansions will turn DS3 from a solid experience into one rivaling DS1 or Bloodborne. I didn't play early DS2 but it sounds like it went through a real ugly duckling phase before becoming the elegant if misunderstood swan that it is today.

Yeah, DS2 really became great with SotFS. That's why I wish that DS3 did more to build on DS2/SotFS rather than return to a game more akin to DS1. Tweaked power stances that would allow for great variety (i.e. 1handers+medium shields, weapon and whip, or maybe even something like rapier+dagger) would have been a lot more interesting than the weapon arts, even if some are kind of cool. I did always find the parrying a bit squirrely in 2, which was a bummer. All that said, I too hope the DLC for the game changes it up since, as it stands, I probably enjoyed SotFS more. DS3 certainly has a few better bosses and I think the areas, in most cases, have more layers to them, but a lot of the gameplay itself didn't quite click with me.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

multijoe posted:

Early game builds were pretty open all throughout DS2. Clerics got a little screwed mid patch seasons before SOTFS when FROM decided gently caress every lightning thing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

stay fa shion a ble my friends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EFUH_SRnQc

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

-S- posted:

UGS/GH are pretty bad PVE

I disagree. Also convenient excuse for me to post this, because that kind of thing never gets old no matter how many runs of the campaign I do.

https://gfycat.com/FlakyFamiliarAphid

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Feonir posted:

I disagree. Also convenient excuse for me to post this, because that kind of thing never gets old no matter how many runs of the campaign I do.

This is powerful

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Feonir posted:

Woah, nice.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Feonir posted:

Supreme.

But why are you using the Zweihander?

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

lite_sleepr posted:

Supreme.

But why are you using the Zweihander?

It is just a throw away campaign, fresh start, haven't had time or effort to level any stat to use any other UGS. The Zwie is fine until the Lorian brothers are savaged to literal boss weapon dust coaxed to part with their souls.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Feonir posted:

It is just a throw away campaign, fresh start, haven't had time or effort to level any stat to use any other UGS. The Zwie is fine until the Lorian brothers are savaged to literal boss weapon dust coaxed to part with their souls.

That great sword with both Lorian and Lothrics fused sword is good?

It'd be great if I could have soul levels sucked out of me. Being SL 140 sucks because nobody goes past 120 because of the meta. I'm left with zero players to invade or engage in jolly cooperation with.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Aug 2, 2016

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

lite_sleepr posted:

That great sword with both Lorian and Lothrics fused sword is good?

It is! But, the fire UGS base sword is my bread and butter, people die by the droves in PvP to it and since it is fire based most mobs generally fall apart as well to it, random blood oil dragon things I am looking your way.

A thing to keep in mind is a UGS in two hands is not parryable with normal attacks, which means 85% of people who invade wave at me before I take 2/3's of their hp away. The Super Londor Brothers sword is only a GS though and is parryable so tactics need be used instead of just cleaving your problems apart.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Feonir posted:

It is! But, the fire UGS base sword is my bread and butter, people die by the droves in PvP to it and since it is fire based most mobs generally fall apart as well to it, random blood oil dragon things I am looking your way.

A thing to keep in mind is a UGS in two hands is not parryable with normal attacks, which means 85% of people who invade wave at me before I take 2/3's of their hp away. The Super Londor Brothers sword is only a GS though and is parryable so tactics need be used instead of just cleaving your problems apart.

PLease elaborate both how the Super Lothric Brothers sword is good.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

lite_sleepr posted:

PLease elaborate both how the Super Lothric Brothers sword is good.

It has been a while since I used mine but I never really used it for a fight itself, more as a utility weapon. The thing is super super light, which is great, because carrying it about to switch to it once an invader or someone who is low HP starts the estus panic run is invaluable. It can catch so many people off guard, and uses minimal FP to blast someone with a very quick beam of light.

On the PvE side when wielded two handed it can deliver quite the amount of punishment, and its one handed swing is a fantastic AoE and trash mob policing arc, since its side to side.

On a side note it may not be the best UGS (can confirm that as fact easily) but the fire UGS will always be in my heart because it let me do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suJszDUuEFI&t=10s

The trick to PvPing with a UGS is to be an idiot. By that I mean always lead a fight off with a swing you have ~no~ chance of hitting with, because people usually will take that bait and try to punish you, if they don't the swing queue is so long you can wait until the last moment to decide on the second swing or to roll out. If you get the first hit on a normal attack you are guaranteed the second, which can be devastating to people who did not dump all points into Stamina and HP. Enough stamina allows for a fourth swing, so very many lives have been lost to the fourth UGS normal swing because nobody ever seems to see it coming, sure they roll around for three but the fourth will proc a stumble (thanks no poise) allowing for recovery and more punishment. The charged up swing with the fire ultra greatsword there also does absolutely ridiculous damage and on non-player invaders will literally stun lock people into the floor as you can knock back poke them ~while~ they are in the getting up animation. It devastates all life with a little tenacity and aggression.

Oh and never ever, ever, ever take the weapon one handed, you are holding up a giant "Stab me in the chest" sign for anyone with even a normal shield and an inclination to ruin your day.

Feonir fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Aug 2, 2016

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Do you mean any ugs with a fire infusion?

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I mean, the Astora Great Sword does pull off some sick moves every now and then, and killing NPC invaders or most humanoids is trivial by spamming fully charged R2s (just like it has always ruined humanoids days since the Butcher cleaver in Demon's Souls). But the plain damage and utility of just stun-locking something during 6 swings with a straight sword and still having enough stamina to roll out of the way outclasses using great weapons. I hear the great-axe is really good though.

My favorite thing to do in pvp with the AGS was to chain a charged R2 at air into a WA Charge when they tried to punish me for it. Then when I was invading with a straight sword and shield, some guy before the Crystal Sage kept trying to do it and I would just walk out of the way of it and hit him 3+ times whenever he tried it, almost killing him each time. A Giant Enemy Crab eventually got him when he kept running away.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The great axe is really good for how early you can pick it up, but Yhorm's is way better due to the range. GAs as a class are all around excellent in this game though.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

lite_sleepr posted:

Do you mean any ugs with a fire infusion?

Naw just the Lorian blade, as it allows for scaling still, so you can eek out a few more points of damage you otherwise could not, plus the FP stomp does ignite the blade for a decently lasting fire buff on demand for a free (depending on fire vuln) 50-150 pts of damage. And it looks scary and intimidating.

I am certainly not out to argue the UGS is better than straight swords, that would be absurd what I am saying is they are perfectly usable, and are really satisfying when you are sick of playing Dark Souls Parappa the Rapper edition with a straight sword.

Though when it comes to PvP and I am going to assume a certain amount of competency (Ala rolling away after the 2 hit stunlock wears off) then the UGS will do more for you than a straight sword, which if you come across anyone decent at parrying you are in deep poo poo. If you find people invading you who do not understand damage mitigation and refuse to evade after they are not stun locked then yes once again the Dark sword or Straight swords are your bread and butter.

But at the end of the day I find weapon selection to be as up in the air as armor, fashion souls, pick what you are most comfortable with and you will get the most out of the game, do not let anyone else dictate how you play, a weapon may be the be all end all of meta's but if you flummox around with it then you will do little good. Find whatever ~you~ prefer and play it.

Feonir fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 2, 2016

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Feonir posted:

Naw just the Lorian blade, as it allows for scaling still, so you can eek out a few more points of damage you otherwise could not, plus the FP stomp does ignite the blade for a decently lasting fire buff on demand for a free (depending on fire vuln) 50-150 pts of damage. And it looks scary and intimidating.

I am certainly not out to argue the UGS is better than straight swords, that would be absurd what I am saying is they are perfectly usable, and are really satisfying when you are sick of playing Dark Souls Parappa the Rapper edition with a straight sword.

Though when it comes to PvP and I am going to assume a certain amount of competency (Ala rolling away after the 2 hit stunlock wears off) then the UGS will do more for you than a straight sword, which if you come across anyone decent at parrying you are in deep poo poo. If you find people invading you who do not understand damage mitigation and refuse to evade after they are not stun locked then yes once again the Dark sword or Straight swords are your bread and butter.

But at the end of the day I find weapon selection to be as up in the air as armor, fashion souls, pick what you are most comfortable with and you will get the most out of the game, do not let anyone else dictate how you play, a weapon may be the be all end all of meta's but if you flummox around with it then you will do little good. Find whatever ~you~ prefer and play it.

Dark Souls Parappa the Rapper. What does this mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

lite_sleepr posted:

Dark Souls Parappa the Rapper. What does this mean?

R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1