Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Hootington posted:

so has CD comic thread melted down or have they worked themselves into a tizzy over no one realizing the true greatness of the director and the movie being a modern day classic.

Don't post about other forums/threads. Their feelings/thoughts on the movie aren't going to hurt you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

X-O posted:

Don't post about other forums/threads. Their feelings/thoughts on the movie aren't going to hurt you.

CineD's reactions are actually mirroring this thread pretty well about SS. Disappointment and a lot of worrying about what this means for Wonder Woman.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

X-O posted:

ok. I will giggle to myself.

Content: If SS bombs, what does WB do? pull the plug on movies that are not shooting? another reboot? or do they triple down?

I can not wait until next week. I also hope it does good enough so the DCCU limps along, but marvel stays good because they are good movies.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

rantmo posted:

That was the location of the specific screening I'd won a pass to, otherwise I would have stayed the hell in the city.

Hillside? Because I "won" a pass to that movie as well.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Egh, it sucks that SS is apparently living up to my first impressions of it. I was just getting to like the cast...the non-Leto parts of the crew are really very awesome.

Mr Hootington posted:

so has CD comic thread melted down or have they worked themselves into a tizzy over no one realizing the true greatness of the director and the movie being a modern day classic.
I don't think they're as...passionate...about Ayers as they are about Snyder. Nerds don't hate Ayers as much (yet) so that means CD doesn't love him as much.

e: oops didn't see the thing. Ah well, worth it.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 3, 2016

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

aaannnnddd the DC fan meltdown has already begun

https://twitter.com/johnd0p3/status/760596902106787840

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I know this movie is fantastic despite the fact that I haven't seen it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

FlamingLiberal posted:

Signed

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Skimming the Suicide Squad movie reviews, it sounds like Harley Quinn is handled in a pretty bad way, i.e. "the sexiest abuse victim", and her flashbacks to the Joker are less "look at this hosed up poo poo Harley endured" and more "look how cool Joker is (while being abusive)".

Obviously having not seen the movie myself I can't say for sure if that's the case, but that's definitely what I was really holding out hope wouldn't happen and seeing reviews mention it's there makes me much less excited to see the film.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm like 90% sure that person's trolling, but I like how the petition implies Rotten Tomatoes has their own critics that review films, instead of just going out and getting reviews from a bunch of critics from around the web.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DrProsek posted:

Skimming the Suicide Squad movie reviews, it sounds like Harley Quinn is handled in a pretty bad way, i.e. "the sexiest abuse victim", and her flashbacks to the Joker are less "look at this hosed up poo poo Harley endured" and more "look how cool Joker is (while being abusive)".
It seems like the consensus is that the female characters in the film (other than Waller) are not handled well.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

wow a whole two examples huh

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

DrProsek posted:

Obviously having not seen the movie myself I can't say for sure if that's the case, but that's definitely what I was really holding out hope wouldn't happen and seeing reviews mention it's there makes me much less excited to see the film.

Holding out hope that DC would portray Joker as the creepy rapey abusive rear end in a top hat he is over glorifying in how much of a badass he is is a fool's errand. Joker is one of DC's most popular characters and their fans love it when he's batting Harley around like a rented mule. They know what side their bread is buttered.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 3, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

wow a whole two examples huh
To be fair they also gave X-Men: Apocalypse a rotten rating, and I think that was when people really started banging on about the great Disney-bought conspiracy or whatever. (Nevermind that Deadpool was rated fresh)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The whole bribing Rotten Tomatoes thing doesn't make sense to me because the site just aggregates reviews as far as I'm aware.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Hah, there is a change.org petition to shut down Rotten Tomatoes because of the bad reviews of Suicide Squad. Why can't cynical nerds just accept that WB has no idea what to do with the DC movie franchise? We know that Batman the Joker are the best things ever, but just because they're in something doesn't mean they're automatically in the best thing ever.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm definitely still going to see it. I'm disappointed though. I want success for all the non-Leto people involved. I would've been just happy if I could give out about the Joker parts and enjoy the rest of the movie. Sounds kinda icky though.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

twistedmentat posted:

Hah, there is a change.org petition to shut down Rotten Tomatoes because of the bad reviews of Suicide Squad.

Dude like, ten posts up man.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It sucks seeing these movies come out and then get panned so hard. I want DC's movie to be good since I like them more than Marvel in general, but each movie comes out and seems to just demonstrate that their movie division has no idea what it's doing so far.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
They've produced/overseen/who knows two good movies, so it's not that bad.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 3, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really wonder what WB's response is going to be. I can't imagine they're particularly pleased that DIsney holds all three top-grossing slots despite it being Superman v. Batman year.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

twistedmentat posted:

Hah, there is a change.org petition to shut down Rotten Tomatoes because of the bad reviews of Suicide Squad. Why can't cynical nerds just accept that WB has no idea what to do with the DC movie franchise? We know that Batman the Joker are the best things ever, but just because they're in something doesn't mean they're automatically in the best thing ever.
I love how much of a mess DC is in when they have ownership of all their properties while Marvel is pretty fractured, but can still make entertainingly fun movies.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Ferrule posted:

Hillside? Because I "won" a pass to that movie as well.

As someone who grew up in Hillside, IL I can tell you guys with wasn't worth the trip.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

X-O posted:

Dammit. Still going to see it on Friday, but man I was hoping this was finally the one they got right.

Most damning quote I've seen so far?

"If you can believe it, Suicide Squad is even worse than Fantastic Four"

Yiiiiiiiiikes.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

JT Smiley posted:

As someone who grew up in Hillside, IL I can tell you guys with wasn't worth the trip.

As someone who endured Godzilla '98 there, you are right. Probably the only time I've ever been there.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Toxxupation posted:

Dude like, ten posts up man.

What I get for leaving a post unposted for like a half hour.

achillesforever6 posted:

I love how much of a mess DC is in when they have ownership of all their properties while Marvel is pretty fractured, but can still make entertainingly fun movies.

I really want to know what's going on with WB. Are they so god drat up their own asses that their movies are serious films while Marvel's are silly kids movies, so they keep trying to make movies that are beyond what they are capable? Or maybe they're like Nintendo, and know that there are die hards that will consume anything that has Batman/Mario in it that they can poo poo stuff out and know there will be ticket sales.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

achillesforever6 posted:

I'm willing to bet...a large amount of money that it's entirely due to the fact that instead of getting bought out to avoid bankruptcy Marvel had to do the fire sale/restructuring bit in the late nineties, keeping their autonomy, then created Marvel Studios when they started building up the MCU as a Thing. They were able to keep their creative direction (and therefore control), as opposed to DC which didn't even have a movie division until this year. So, instead, DC has had to rely on WB's studio structure (which came with attendant oversight), which has contributed to the unfocused, reactionary, formulated-by-committee atmosphere both BvS and (apparently) SS have.

Compounding further is that Disney as a global company seems to have adopted a creative hands-off atmosphere to their subsidary movie studios, considering how much of a mess the Pixar relationship was pre-buyout (and how Pixar seems to have been more or less left alone to do whatever they want as the House of Mouse has focused on rebuilding Disney Animation into a prestigious brand). Disney seems more interested in the merchandizing/commercial exploitation aspect of Marvel movies (especially since they have their own studio system built from scratch that, so far, has been producing endless hits) over direct hands-on input, unlike WB.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

There's a lot of people ITT that are like "Oh no, this sucks. I'm still gonna see it though".

Like you realize you don't have to go see it? I know we're comic nerds and we feel like we have to be aware of comic nerd stuff, often to our detriment, but really, you don't have to go see it. I went and saw BvS because I felt like I had to form an opinion on it, because I'm real into Batman. I wish I hadn't! I'm not going to go see movies that I think will be terrible anymore.

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

Yeah see rather than spend the money and time seeing a movie which you know will be bad, you could not.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

My sister gets free tickets at the movie theater she works at, so I might see it, but I'm not paying for it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sentinel Red posted:

Yiiiiiiiiikes.

Well I don't believe that at all.

Travis343 posted:

There's a lot of people ITT that are like "Oh no, this sucks. I'm still gonna see it though".

Like you realize you don't have to go see it? I know we're comic nerds and we feel like we have to be aware of comic nerd stuff, often to our detriment, but really, you don't have to go see it. I went and saw BvS because I felt like I had to form an opinion on it, because I'm real into Batman. I wish I hadn't! I'm not going to go see movies that I think will be terrible anymore.

I'm not going to take anyone's word as fact on whether a movie is good or not before I see it. The only thing that will keep me from seeing a movie is if I think the movie doesn't look good. I've liked almost everything I've seen of Suicide Squad so far. So it's a bummer that people aren't digging it, but I won't let that dissuade me from seeing something I still think looks good.

X-O fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 3, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I believe it's probably not very good, but also every two bit blogger wants to be the one who trashed it the most.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Travis343 posted:

It's almost like people have different tastes in movies and would like to be able to form their opinion, and have differing amounts of free time and cash that they're willing to put forth in things that might interest them.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It seems like DC is just missing someone like a Kevin Feige who was a fan of the comics first, and second had no existing association to them when pulled in to co-produce/produce. Geoff Johns is not the answer because he's too close as a creator.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'd say it's worse than that considering this seems to suffer from editing problems just like BvS.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I'm conflicted. I've enjoyed the trailers. But the actual film clips (aside from the trailers)I've seen in some of the promotional materials seem...dull.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

MrAristocrates posted:

I'd say it's worse than that considering this seems to suffer from editing problems just like BvS.

I haven't seen Suicide Squad, but they had a lot of last minute reshoots, with some noise about how it was trying to be more "whimsical" and "quippy". It's possible the editing issues are a result of trying to change what the movie is at the last minute, like Fantastic Four.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

Yeah see rather than spend the money and time seeing a movie which you know will be bad, you could not.

I'm not spending money to see a movie, I'm spending money to spend time with my friends where afterwards we will talk and laugh about how good/bad it was.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That RT score says that a third of the audience likes the movie. If they liked what they saw in the trailers and clips, that's pretty good odds they'll be with that third.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Travis343 posted:

I'm going to go because I want to form my own opinion. I'd wager that's what most people are thinking when they say that. It's not really a completely unfathomable thing.

And hey, after MoS I thought I would hate BvS. It turned out to just be aggressively ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Mr Hootington posted:

Content: If SS bombs, what does WB do? pull the plug on movies that are not shooting? another reboot? or do they triple down?

Nothing. SS is unlikely to bomb - in terms of making money. Critical reviews won't change a drat thing.

In order for them to change anything major, would require a huge loss. Like gargantuan. Like literally no one shows up for the Friday premier huge. And then, being DC, they will take the wrong lesson from it. "People don't like racially diverse ensemble casts." "Joker wasn't lovely enough." "Croc should have been GC" "Should have used the other Queen song in the trailer"

Sentinel Red posted:

Source please, because if it's a reviewer I like, this has just cemented my "Not gonna go" position.

X-O posted:

I'm not going to take anyone's word as fact on whether a movie is good or not before I see it. The only thing that will keep me from seeing a movie is if I think the movie doesn't look good. I've liked almost everything I've seen of Suicide Squad so far. So it's a bummer that people aren't digging it, but I won't let that dissuade me from seeing something I still think looks good.

See, I was on the verge because I like the idea of an SS movie. The concept is classic - it's The Dirty Dozen meets Batman. Great. But with Leto-Joker and all the garbage surrounding him and his antics*, it has completely turned me off the idea. I feel as though if I pay for a movie ticket, I'm sending the wrong message. I'm saying "More of this, please".

*On that note, either it's bullshit ("Joker's so crazy our actor had to get crazy to learn what it was like - pass it on") or Jared Leto is a loving sociopath, and gently caress that.

• Locked thread