Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Have Some Flowers! posted:

Obama calling out Trump today as 'unfit' might backfire. Telling Republicans that they should denounce Trump seems like a great way to get the Republicans to unify against Obama.

Republicans unify against Obama? Boy, I hope that doesn't happen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

Hermsgervørden posted:

Ryan's primary gets me thinking about longer term strategy. In the 2018 midterm elections, D's are going to face a lovely senate map. They need to start tying potential challengers to Trump in the most damning ways possible now, and not give anyone viable a chance to lay low. Trump could be a concrete block cast around the proverbial elephant ankles, but Dems have a fair amount of maneuvering to do to push it to the edge of the pier.

I have daydreams of this whole mess making 2018 a record year for Independents followed by a whopper in 2020, but those are just daydreams.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

blue squares posted:

Republicans unify against Obama? Boy, I hope that doesn't happen!

Also if they unify against Obama by doubling down on Trump that's basically win-win for everyone (except Republicans).

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mojo Threepwood posted:

The only book I've read from that list is "Rise of the Warrior Cop: The Militarization of America's Police Forces."

It's a critique of overly aggressive police tactics written by a libertarian author, with detailed research and valid concerns about why modern day police use military style overwhelming force against non-violent offenders. I think it was written before Ferguson.

It might also be the only book praised by Ron Paul and Glenn Greenwald. One of the most interesting parts was the author looking into how tiny towns can easily get funding and equipment for a SWAT team, without having the need, leading to bored departments deploying undertrained officers unnecessarily and with tragic results. It's a good read, the author sticks to facts and I didn't think he espoused fringe views.

I can't speak for anything else the author wrote, or any other books on that list.

The author, while personally libertarian, has been pretty much single-mindedly writing about police abuse, corruption, and overuse for over a decade, including primary reporting on discrediting a couple of forensic scientists used in countless state prosecutions, leading up to getting a black man who shot and killed a cop during a no-knock raid off death row.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

The author, while personally libertarian, has been pretty much single-mindedly writing about police abuse, corruption, and overuse for over a decade, including primary reporting on discrediting a couple of forensic scientists used in countless state prosecutions, leading up to getting a black man who shot and killed a cop during a no-knock raid off death row.

Do the Kochs give a poo poo about that?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Do the Kochs give a poo poo about that?

no clue, but Balko is The One Good Libertarian

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013

farraday posted:

http://www.elections.state.md.us/elections/2016/ballot_questions/index.html

Only question listed is an Amendment to ensure the governor chooses someone from the same political party if the AG or Comptroller steps down.

I believe Edwards (D) is expected to win the Senate seat in a walk, but I don't know of any new pooling there to confirm.

Last page, but Edwards lost the primary. It's Van Hollen on the D side.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ayekappy posted:

If he was that hardcore, wouldn't he vote Johnson or does he identify as Libertarian but always follows the "3rd party voting is a waste" rhetoric... or do the Libertarians not support libertarian ideals?

He pretty much views the libertarian party in the general election to be utterly impossible at this point in time. He volunteers for a bunch of local and state libertarian campaigns but he'd prefer to vote for someone in the general that he at least views as competent as a politician (even if he disagrees with most of her domestic and economic policy) as opposed to a dude who doesn't know or care a single thing about any sort of policy and would be more of a disaster all around.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's not anything she's said, but she's spending much more money there than just about anywhere else.

And when you consider the electoral arithmetic and the established lean of various swing states, it's absolutely true. If she takes Florida, Trump's goose is cooked.

I think it just costs way more to advertise in Florida than any other swing state. I believe it's 4 major media markets that you have to buy in plus something out in the panhandle area if you're feeling frisky. Though, as a byproduct, if you advertise in Jacksonville you're also hitting a nice chunk of Georgia. It's the really Red part though.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Have Some Flowers! posted:

Obama calling out Trump today as 'unfit' might backfire. Telling Republicans that they should denounce Trump seems like a great way to get the Republicans to unify against Obama.

Maybe Obama smells blood in the water and wants to get as many people attached to that sinking ship as possible? Seems like an unnecessary risk, though.

It's actually a double-genius move, it forces Republicans to double-down on supporting the increasingly-unhinged lunatic and baits Trump with a shallow attack on his character that, while completely harmless, he will not let go answered and freak out for another week over. Best-case scenario it might turn him against Republicans that don't immediately leap to his defense, though that's probably just wishful thinking.

Obama's actually pretty good at this whole politics thing.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Emerald Rogue posted:

Last page, but Edwards lost the primary. It's Van Hollen on the D side.

Yeah my bad.

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013

farraday posted:

Yeah my bad.

We cool.:cheers:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

no, a vietnamese flying ace

as opposed to one for the USAF

b/c he lost 5 planes

He lost one plane to an engine failure, was shot down once, lost a plane in the Forrestal fire, and crashed one due to pilot error.

You'll notice that adds up to four.

There are plenty of legitimate things to criticize about McCain without making up idiotic poo poo about his military record.

SoSimpleABeginning
Mar 6, 2010

From so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
The Great Twist
A Trump spokesperson just said that Obama and Clinton changed the rules of engagement in Iraq that cost Khan his life. Khan died in 2004.

Wolf completely let it slide.

https://twitter.com/HardysCloset/status/760612177745182720

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

SoSimpleABeginning posted:

A Trump spokesperson just said that Obama and Clinton changed the rules of engagement in Iraq that cost Khan his life. Khan died in 2004.

Obama caused Hurricane Katrina, and that was in 2005, so it's not totally impossible!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
WolfJeopardy.jpg

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

to be fair to wolf, he's probably just not intelligent enough to realize the problem with her statement

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

I long for the day that a comedically large hook comes out from stage left and pulls Wolf Blitzer off the air

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

If Wolf's defense, he's way too stupid to realize that 2004 comes before 2009.

edit: broke the table

Gyges fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 3, 2016

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

To be, uh, "fair"? It would have been a baseless(but somewhat effective with their base) accusation if they had just directed it at Hillary, but they had to throw Obama in there for some reason. Which means the theory of the "unfit" jab being a dual Republican cement-shoes and Trump-bait holds some water.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

The old Navy joke is that if John McCain had crashed one more plane he would have been a Viet-Cong ace. It was just a dumb hurr durr Navy joke that doesn't stand up to scrutiny obviously, nobody is supposed to take it seriously. John McCain is a pretty lovely guy but he is a war hero and people are just going to have to come to grips with the fact that those things aren't mutually exclusive.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wolf Blitzer is so loving bad

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Wolf actually has a necrotic colon where his brain belongs.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

Leslie Blitzer is so loving bad

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

So how do equal time laws apply to ads playing in states? Right now it looks like Clinton is just literally buying all the best airtime early at the best prices, effectively boxing out Trump from anything beyond infomercial times. Are the networks that agreed to take payment to run ads for Clinton obligated to offer Trump a similar time slot even if he only offers them $1, or is he up poo poo's creek?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

He's good but I really wish he would stop linking/retweeting Reason Magazine articles like they know what the hell they are talking about

(for those not aware Reason Magazine is the official LOLbertarian rag of choice)

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Reminder that the gop dragged John Kerry's war record through their poo poo mill. Don't stoop to their level.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Nope. Nope.

nopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenopenope

Not gonna let myself get sucked in to the post-DNC poll hype. Gotta wait until at least the end of the month and multiple polls...

:dance::toot::neckbeard:

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Roflan posted:

I can barely tell you who my senators and representative is

you can't remember 3 names?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

So how do equal time laws apply to ads playing in states? Right now it looks like Clinton is just literally buying all the best airtime early at the best prices, effectively boxing out Drumpf from anything beyond infomercial times. Are the networks that agreed to take payment to run ads for Clinton obligated to offer Drumpf a similar time slot even if he only offers them $1, or is he up poo poo's creek?

If only we had the FCC institute some sort of Doctrine, one guaranteeing Fairness...

hmm.......

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Apparently the fact checkers needed time to research who exactly was president in 2004 because he did fact check her a while after the interview was over. Crack job once again, CNN!

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

The Pain Schadenfreude -- When Will It End?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

If only we had the FCC institute some sort of Doctrine, one guaranteeing Fairness...

hmm.......

You, uh, do know there actually is a law (which still exists) requiring equivalent advertising opportunities be offered to competing candidates, right?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Internet Webguy posted:

Apparently the fact checkers needed time to research who exactly was president in 2004 because he did fact check her a while after the interview was over. Crack job once again, CNN!

We really need a Daily Show just for CNN, they're so consistently weird and dumb.

Not even the malicious Fox News kind of dumb, it's like sitcom incompetence 24/7.

Here's one of CNN's Greatest Hits

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

When Trump loses Katrina is going to have to go back to shoplifting.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Epic High Five posted:

So how do equal time laws apply to ads playing in states? Right now it looks like Clinton is just literally buying all the best airtime early at the best prices, effectively boxing out Trump from anything beyond infomercial times. Are the networks that agreed to take payment to run ads for Clinton obligated to offer Trump a similar time slot even if he only offers them $1, or is he up poo poo's creek?

There are no equal time laws of that sort. Candidates buy advertising at the lowest rate, but there is nothing requiring anyone or any company to offer equal voice to everyone. If one campaign buys up all the ad time, tough poo poo. I believe in 2012 Obama bought up all the ad time in a few swing states and Romney was screwed because he waited too long to buy ads.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kalman posted:

You, uh, do know there actually is a law (which still exists) requiring equivalent advertising opportunities be offered to competing candidates, right?

That would require Trump to take those opportunities, and "hey I know it's 2 days before the debate but I want to buy X minutes of ad time like Hilary did" probably wouldn't go Trump's way.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gyges posted:

There are no equal time laws. Candidates buy advertising at the lowest rate, but there is nothing requiring anyone or any company to offer equal voice to everyone. If one campaign buys up all the ad time, tough poo poo. I believe in 2012 Obama bought up all the ad time in a few swing states and Romney was screwed because he waited too long to buy ads.

That's what I thought, but NBC earlier this year had to give time to other GOP primary candidates because Trump hosted SNL. Is that because they paid him to come/gave him time for free/whatever as opposed to just selling advertising space for market value?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/NickTimiraos/status/760618740925030402

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/760622209140461568

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Yinlock posted:

We really need a Daily Show just for CNN, they're so consistently weird and dumb.

Not even the malicious Fox News kind of dumb, it's like sitcom incompetence 24/7.

Here's one of CNN's Greatest Hits

Seriously, I'm pretty sure CNN is literally the worst news agency. Fox News is at least propaganda and not trying to be news, so I can't quite call them bad news because it's like saying a pancake is a bad waffle; that's not what it is trying to be so it's the wrong metric. But what the gently caress is CNN even doing? It feels like they're *trying* to be news sometimes, they're just goddamn terrible at it.

• Locked thread