Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Zwille posted:

The baby is gonna be in our bedroom. If the kid gets its own room that would solve it, yeah, but by then it's gonna be old enough to fight off a cat anyway.

we weren't thinking it's gonna literally suck the breath away, but more like it's gonna lay on it and accidentally choke it out. It's reassuring you haven't had any direct experience with it or heard of it happen.

Edit: to clarify, the question wasn't so much if a cat will accidentally kill a baby (even though the whole discussion is interesting, I'm grateful for everyone's input) but more how to handle it if you're possibly gonna lock out cats out of a certain room at certain times. Do it right at the start when the cats move in even though the occasion for the lockout (planning a baby) is just a faint speck on the horizon, or do it once the occasion is more real? Would the cats be irreversibly traumatized or is it a matter of enduring a couple nights of complaints by the cats?

The cat won't be traumatized, but their reaction will depend on their temperament. I lock my cat out of my room when I have the window AC on; he'll meow and scratch at the door a little but will eventually give up. Other cats may be more persistent/annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
If the question is ever, "Should I adopt (another) cat" the answer is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NVD25o0Ua4

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

how do they get all those cats in all those jars

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

kinmik posted:

I have a seven-year-old vacuous black hole. We feed him (and our other cat) dry food three times a day with wet food once at night.

Our problem is, Scott has always been greedy, so he'll scarf his food, try to eat Wallace's, then throw everything up within five minutes. We've tried balls of various and increasing sizes in the bowl, spreading his food thinly on the floor, and presently it's a combination of the two, with all their toys, a towel, and two heavy obstructions on top of his food in a cat bed. I'm afraid we've created a swolecat because he can now move about six pounds of poo poo out of the way with his head. We take away his wet food when he's halfway done with it, and it's seemed to work so far with the exception of him drinking too much water afterwards. Scott throws up about once every seven times now. He threw up this morning. We're just so done with jumping through hoops in order to get this cat to stop overeating.

Help us, goons.

Idiot in question

Feed them in different rooms (closed doors) at specific feeding times. if they don't eat in the room, too bad, you won't get your food. They'll figure it out real quick.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Question: we've got two indoor cats and are moving into a street level studio apartment in Manhattan soon. One of the cats has started trying to dart outside. How do we best keep them inside?

Two suggestions I've heard:
1. Mini electric fence collar thing. Device is installed near the door, shocks escapee within a certain range.
2. Put stretchy net material across door at foot level, maybe two feet high, to deny escapee of between-legs opening.

Comments? Suggestions? Advice? These cats are not ready for the streets of NY.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

HairyManling posted:

Your cat likes you and feels comfortable with you. Rejoice! I have two cats left from a litter born 12 years ago and both of them still do this even after all these years. Just keep their claws regularly trimmed and everyone will be happy.

Rejoice indeed, I guess that's confirmed. I hate clipping her nails though, she hates it and I'm always stressing out over whether I'm gonna accidentally nail the quicks or not :(

pranbran
May 29, 2014

kinmik posted:

I have a seven-year-old vacuous black hole. We feed him (and our other cat) dry food three times a day with wet food once at night.

Our problem is, Scott has always been greedy, so he'll scarf his food, try to eat Wallace's, then throw everything up within five minutes. We've tried balls of various and increasing sizes in the bowl, spreading his food thinly on the floor, and presently it's a combination of the two, with all their toys, a towel, and two heavy obstructions on top of his food in a cat bed. I'm afraid we've created a swolecat because he can now move about six pounds of poo poo out of the way with his head. We take away his wet food when he's halfway done with it, and it's seemed to work so far with the exception of him drinking too much water afterwards. Scott throws up about once every seven times now. He threw up this morning. We're just so done with jumping through hoops in order to get this cat to stop overeating.

Help us, goons.

Idiot in question

You could also try a Meowspace - they're clear acrylic boxes where the door has an RFID tag to allow only one cat to get in. We've got three cats and each has their own box and it makes feeding much less of a hassle. They're expensive though, so keep that in mind.

Link: http://meowspace.biz/

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Friend posted:

While on the subject of biting, my kitten is a real piece of poo poo. She was removed from her family too early (6 or 7 weeks I think) and then almost immediately went into isolation to treat ringworm for another 5 or 6 weeks so her socialization history is pretty rocky. Now she is free to roam the house as of two weeks ago, but all she likes to do is hunt and bite us and our dogs. We play with her with toys and she enjoys it (until she remembers that we have hands), but literally the only time we can pet her without her biting us as hard as she can is if she has fallen asleep. We can't just put her in time out so she learns biting is not okay, because that is all she does. In the evenings she jumps on the couch and bites our fingers; I pick her up and drop her on the ground away from us, and she comes right back. At night, she cuddles up next to my wife's neck, and then in the morning she will bite my fingers/nose until I toss her on the ground. She also brings her toys into bed, but still bites my hands.
Is she going to grow out of this? Do we need to get another kitten to even her out or is 3-4 months old too late for that? Do we just need to coat our hands in bitter apple spray every day? We got her because our younger dog loves cats but even he is frightened of her and tired of her poo poo.

Update on this, it's true what everyone says about kitten buddies: we ended up adopting another kitten (Hank) and that seemed to solve everything. Hank is about the same age (but at least a pound heavier), and he and Trudy have started wrestling and chasing/biting each other instead of us. Hank is extremely chill/lazy and a perfect balance to the ball of energy that is Trudy.

Weirdly though, when we first got him, he loved to be held and cuddled with and would purr like crazy, but now he usually runs when we try to approach and won't let us do much more than scratch his back. Meanwhile, Trudy has become ridiculously affectionate and wants to be picked up whenever I get home and hates being separated from us. Is that normal for such a drastic personality change? Any ideas for getting Hank to let me pick up him and not try to run off again?

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Rejoice indeed, I guess that's confirmed. I hate clipping her nails though, she hates it and I'm always stressing out over whether I'm gonna accidentally nail the quicks or not :(

As a backup (though you should practice trying to clip her nails anyway), keep a small blanket anywhere you sit/lay down, then drape it over yourself when the cat comes by. I managed to train my kitty to wait until I've got a blanket pulled over my lap/stomach before she hops on and starts kneading. I clip her nails pretty regularly but it feels like I always miss one, and all it takes to bring the pain is a single claw.

I feel a little silly having blankets on the back of my desk/kitchen chairs--in addition to usual spots like the couch--but I've come to terms with doing silly-looking things to my apartment to keep my cat happy (she's spoiled as heck)

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Cat issues incoming. I've spoken to my vet a few times and all the advice he's given hasn't worked. Not sure where else to go but I thought I would at least write something up and see if anyone has dealt with something similar.

I bought a home 4 months ago and combined households with my girlfriend. She has one cat (Sushi) and I have two (Fiona and Marie). Marie and Sushi get along fine. They play and chase one another and if things get too rough they back off. They sleep somewhat close to one another and for the most part we've had no issues. Fiona on the other hand loving HATES Sushi. They cannot be within 5 feet of one another without her lashing out. After trying different things we just eventually stopped trying to get them to get along. They just avoid one another.

I have an office in the basement where I'm at most of the day so Fiona hangs out with me and only occasionally goes upstairs. Recently, in the last month or so, she has become very stressed and has started lashing out at me and my girlfriend at odd times. I can't really have her up on my lap anymore because she will bite or scratch me hard and run off out of nowhere. I'm familiar with petting aggression, so when she's up here and behaving normally I just let her nuzzle me and do her thing until she falls asleep. There has been improvement but it's slow going and it was never really an issue until I moved. For a while I was scared to even let her up because of how quick to anger she had gotten.

Now Fiona gets angry at odd times when she's upstairs. Sometimes she'll just lash out at me or my girlfriend by hissing or swatting. One second she'll be rolling around chirping on the ground then the next she's freaking out. There isn't one particular place on her body that I'm petting that is setting her off. I'm not being overly affectionate. I just reach out to pet her and she draws blood.

I got a couple of those pheromone plug ins that's supposed to relax cats (They don't do a loving thing imo). I cannot figure out what's causing the aggression other than simply being in the same house as another cat that isn't her sister. Has anyone dealt with this type of thing? I love her to death but if this continues I'll have to give her up. We'd like to have kids and I cannot have a cat that behaves this erratically and aggressively around a child. :(

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Thanks for the replies. I should have been more clear, however. Our main problem right now isn't that Scott is eating Wallace's food; as dense as he is, he's coming to realize that we don't appreciate it when he "steals" from the other bowl (he's an animal, all food is valid as "his"). It's that he's eating all of his own food in one go.

I do like the puzzle feeder suggestion though. Googling them I came across a lot of helpful tutorials for making your own, and one result in particular gave me inspiration. I'll trawl through our local thrift shop for some items that might strike me as useful material and see where it goes from there. I really appreciate it!

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
Have you tried putting his food on a raised surface (6-8" high or so)? That can help with digestion. Though it does sound like there are other issues here.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

On Terra Firma posted:

Cat issues incoming. I've spoken to my vet a few times and all the advice he's given hasn't worked. Not sure where else to go but I thought I would at least write something up and see if anyone has dealt with something similar.

I bought a home 4 months ago and combined households with my girlfriend. She has one cat (Sushi) and I have two (Fiona and Marie). Marie and Sushi get along fine. They play and chase one another and if things get too rough they back off. They sleep somewhat close to one another and for the most part we've had no issues. Fiona on the other hand loving HATES Sushi. They cannot be within 5 feet of one another without her lashing out. After trying different things we just eventually stopped trying to get them to get along. They just avoid one another.

I have an office in the basement where I'm at most of the day so Fiona hangs out with me and only occasionally goes upstairs. Recently, in the last month or so, she has become very stressed and has started lashing out at me and my girlfriend at odd times. I can't really have her up on my lap anymore because she will bite or scratch me hard and run off out of nowhere. I'm familiar with petting aggression, so when she's up here and behaving normally I just let her nuzzle me and do her thing until she falls asleep. There has been improvement but it's slow going and it was never really an issue until I moved. For a while I was scared to even let her up because of how quick to anger she had gotten.

Now Fiona gets angry at odd times when she's upstairs. Sometimes she'll just lash out at me or my girlfriend by hissing or swatting. One second she'll be rolling around chirping on the ground then the next she's freaking out. There isn't one particular place on her body that I'm petting that is setting her off. I'm not being overly affectionate. I just reach out to pet her and she draws blood.

I got a couple of those pheromone plug ins that's supposed to relax cats (They don't do a loving thing imo). I cannot figure out what's causing the aggression other than simply being in the same house as another cat that isn't her sister. Has anyone dealt with this type of thing? I love her to death but if this continues I'll have to give her up. We'd like to have kids and I cannot have a cat that behaves this erratically and aggressively around a child. :(

She could be smelling or hearing something that she doesn't expect. Perhaps a neighbor cat or a raccoon or something is spraying nearby. Give her some time, try to figure out if there's some sort of environmental trigger for her moodiness. You can try behavioral modification stuff - reward her for being nice, withdraw attention when she's scratchy/bitey.

Or she could just be a cat. They get weird for no particular reason sometimes. I don't have much to suggest otherwise.

I wouldn't sweat the baby stuff just yet. Keep her around until you have an actual problem, not just because you're afraid there might be one. She may hate the baby and steer clear of it, or love it and be loving and gentle with it. Outright attacking it would be quite unusual. You never know.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Mr. Jive posted:

Question: we've got two indoor cats and are moving into a street level studio apartment in Manhattan soon. One of the cats has started trying to dart outside. How do we best keep them inside?

Two suggestions I've heard:
1. Mini electric fence collar thing. Device is installed near the door, shocks escapee within a certain range.
2. Put stretchy net material across door at foot level, maybe two feet high, to deny escapee of between-legs opening.

I had a lot of success with taking my kitten out on a leash every day for 30min-1h and just letting him hang out in the space immediately in front of my apartment (stairwell/courtyard, not street). I did it late (1-2am) and so didn't have to deal with curious people, but I don't think that was an important detail.

I give Onca a couple of treats right after putting his harness on, and a handful when we come inside and I take it off.

Results:
* If I am getting ready to go out, Onca is focusing on when his harness is coming out and he'll get treats - no harness and he loses interest.
* Outside is a lot less exciting on general - Onca greets me when I get home every day by wriggling through the doorway as soon as it is open a kitten-sized amount... but then he just looks down the stairwell and follows me inside for cuddles and food and playtime.
* He knows outside is scary - he's seen cars on the road while on his leash, and wants nothing to do with them. He's also seen other cats and my neighbours and basically he'd much rather come out with me than race out alone.
* Because I give him treats everytime he comes in, he now has pretty good recall. Every now and then I'll forget to close the door after bringing him in, and he'll go loping downstairs. But a) he's not racing madly at top speed because he knows I'm not chasing him and b) he comes back when I call him (and I always reward that with treats too).

If your new place opens directly onto the street, you'd need to be more vigilant about not leaving the door randomly open, but I think everything else might help.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

My cat poo poo all over my bedroom sometime last night. The amount of poo poo was equal to larger human sized bowel movement. Two hefty logs next to my desk and a large pile inside my pants, which I discovered as I was putting them on.

I guess I trapped him in my room and he really had to go? Usually if he's trapped in my room over night, he'll wake me up and I'll let him out. It's annoying, but I really wish he did that last night.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

She could be smelling or hearing something that she doesn't expect. Perhaps a neighbor cat or a raccoon or something is spraying nearby. Give her some time, try to figure out if there's some sort of environmental trigger for her moodiness. You can try behavioral modification stuff - reward her for being nice, withdraw attention when she's scratchy/bitey.

There aren't any animals outside that I can see and we've been here for 4 months already. I feel like that amount of time is enough for her to adjust. Most of the aggressive behavior takes place upstairs where the other cats hang out, but I don't want her to be limited to my office in the basement. I've found that when she gets put off by something I just leave her alone and she eventually comes back around. Also talking to her seems to relax her a lot when she gets upset, which is weird because I've never seen that with any other cat I've owned.

quote:

I wouldn't sweat the baby stuff just yet. Keep her around until you have an actual problem, not just because you're afraid there might be one. She may hate the baby and steer clear of it, or love it and be loving and gentle with it. Outright attacking it would be quite unusual. You never know.

I'm going to see how she is over the next few months. We'll figure out how to handle it from there. It would absolutely slay me if I had to give her up because she wasn't able to adjust. :(

On Terra Firma fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 2, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I guess I trapped him in my room and he really had to go? Usually if he's trapped in my room over night, he'll wake me up and I'll let him out. It's annoying, but I really wish he did that last night.

He didn't want to annoy you, so he let you sleep :3:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Oh, sure. "My cat poo poo my pants, I swear!" We're all goons here, you're among friends.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Dogen posted:

Oh, sure. "My cat poo poo my pants, I swear!" We're all goons here, you're among friends.

in my half-awake state the idea that maybe I sleepwalk-shat did cross my mind.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Cats are weird about their poo.

When I Got my first one would MREEEWWWWW when she was pooing, but then again she had worms (kitten) so that's expected. Obviously not a problem anymore. She does, however, rarely, poop outside her box if she's feeling emo, so I clean her boxes 2x a day. She loves a clean box and it hasn't happened for 3 years since my excessive cleaning.

Another cat digs for like 20min trying to cover his poo. It's fantastic (no) because it's always at 4-5am. He has NO health problems, just doesn't like his poo. Once I wake up to SCRATCH SCRATCH SCRATCH SCRSCRSCRSCRSCRSCRATCHSCRSCRSCRSCRRAAAATCH of course I clean it immediately and he's happy.

Another one has food allergies and before it was diagnosed she would poo in the tub or sink. She almost never does it now but *habits* so once every 6 months there'll be a fresh poo in the tub.

My favorite thing honestly is that since I'm a Crazy Cat Lady that I know their poop scraping sounds so I come over with my scooping thingy while they're pooping and clean it up immediately. They come out looking all :3: "thanks 4 cleaning my poo u slave 2 us cats"

They own me :catstare:

I just wrote like 500 words about cat poo

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 3, 2016

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Quote not edit, sorry

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So I finally bought that pine litter + pellet litter box combo for Jet, cause I'm sick of him tracking little particles everywhere. Here's my current setup:

That's about an inch's worth of Feline Pine, on the Tidy Cats pellet box. Some small bits of the pellets fall down through the holes, but the vast majority don't, which I assume is what I'm looking for. The plan is to transfer some of his turds to the new box and just keep piling them there until he gets the message, while quarantining the old box. Or maybe I'll just throw it away, it's gotten pretty awful.

duck farts, is this the kinda setup you were talking about? I saw that the Tidy Cats box/system was almost identical, but needed standard pellets instead of the piss pads. What's the idea, remove the turds and stir occasionally to get the pellets to dissolve? Will this work?

Just don't piss on the floor while you're getting used to this, cat :ohdear:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Pollyanna posted:

So I finally bought that pine litter + pellet litter box combo for Jet, cause I'm sick of him tracking little particles everywhere. Here's my current setup:

That's about an inch's worth of Feline Pine, on the Tidy Cats pellet box. Some small bits of the pellets fall down through the holes, but the vast majority don't, which I assume is what I'm looking for. The plan is to transfer some of his turds to the new box and just keep piling them there until he gets the message, while quarantining the old box. Or maybe I'll just throw it away, it's gotten pretty awful.

duck farts, is this the kinda setup you were talking about? I saw that the Tidy Cats box/system was almost identical, but needed standard pellets instead of the piss pads. What's the idea, remove the turds and stir occasionally to get the pellets to dissolve? Will this work?

Just don't piss on the floor while you're getting used to this, cat :ohdear:

yeah, i'd put in more pellets though. basically, use tongs to take out the poops and dump them in a plastic bag you throw out, and then use your old scoop or whatever to knock around the pellets and make sure the dust goes down to the bottom tray. clean out the dust in the bottom tray by flushing it (protip: flush first, then dump the dust as the water's moving) or in the trash I guess, do it every few days or daily depending on usage and how deep/shallow the tray is.

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 3, 2016

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Mr. Jive posted:

One of the cats has started trying to dart outside. How do we best keep them inside?

My cat does that too sometimes, so what I do is open the door slightly and use my foot/leg or a bag or something to block the opening, so that if she's waiting right there she can't run outside the second i open the door. She can't get by my giant foot/leg/bag, and if she doesn't move out of the way, i'll move my foot towards her, maybe poke her a little, and she gets the idea and walks away. I forgot to do this a couple times, and had to chase and catch her (she only made it about 10 feet one time, and 50' the other time...master cat herder here :smug:). She knows I don't like her being outside, knows that the foot/leg/bag is coming for her, and that i can catch her quickly, and now she seems less motivated to try getting out compared to when I first got her. She's not waiting by the door almost every time i come home anymore, and when she is she seems hesitant, like she's waiting for the big foot to show up and poke her. Sometimes she'll even move out of the way without me having to do anything.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Sometimes I feel bad about never letting my cats outside. One of my cats clearly loves it and almost always tried darting out and I always felt like a jackass going out to pick him up from the outdoor wonderland of smells and new experiences.

But then I look at missing pet posters taped on gas-station windows and stapled on powerlines and they're almost always cats. One of those cats was lost next to a pet store in a very busy parking lot next to a very busy street and a trainyard. Add to that the terrible things that can happen to a cat that isn't in danger of being run over by a car.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

MrSlam posted:

Sometimes I feel bad about never letting my cats outside. One of my cats clearly loves it and almost always tried darting out and I always felt like a jackass going out to pick him up from the outdoor wonderland of smells and new experiences.

But then I look at missing pet posters taped on gas-station windows and stapled on powerlines and they're almost always cats. One of those cats was lost next to a pet store in a very busy parking lot next to a very busy street and a trainyard. Add to that the terrible things that can happen to a cat that isn't in danger of being run over by a car.

My mum has been asking me 'so when are you going to start letting your cats out?' for two years now. The idea of keeping them indoors seems cruel and unnatural to her, even when I point out that a) my childhood cat was hit and killed by a car literally right outside our house in a quiet cul-de-sac and b) my neighbourhood is already full of cats... and endless 'missing cat' posters. There's one on the post right by my front door; I met the lady who was flyering(this was two months ago; I don't think her cat is coming back :( ) and she was absolutely distraught.

My cats keep each other busy running around the house, chasing bugs and wrestling with each other so I don't feel bad about keeping them indoors. They do love sniffing at open windows though; I imagine all the new smells are interesting.

As an experiment, I bought a cat harness at the pet shop and am starting to acclimatise my cats to it so I can take them out to explore the garden at least. I'd love to have a nice secure garden or balcony/terrace for them to be able to get some sunshine and fresh air during the day, but I'd rather keep them inside than have them wandering the neighbourhood.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i briefly experimented with a cat harness and a long rear end tether, (think it was 100') cats can get tangled up in some amazing things. I think so far the big rear end cat tree is more of a hit.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

I really lucked out with my cat; when I first adopted her, I kept the apartment door open right in front of her as a test, and she just peered out briefly then walked away. Since then she's never shown any interest whatsoever in going outside. Every once in a while I think it might be fun to bring her out anyway, but I'm sure she'd never go along with it.

She loves loves loves sitting at open windows, though--seeing her sniff things and watch the herd of stray cats in the neighborhood is adorable :kimchi:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Our white fluffy idiot Harold loves outside and he gets excited like a dog about walks when you put his harness on.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

We got evidence one of our cats has intermittent diarrhea. One week we notice there's diarrhea on the side of the litterbox, next week I notice some when I'm cleaning out the litterbox, and a week later (today) on a lark I watched him do it. At first it came out solid and normal, but an hour later he was in the box again and it came out loose and mucus-y. It happened again about an hour later with only a little this time.

He's eating and playing and running and jumping and he's not listless or hiding that I'm able tell with all this summer heat. He's not yowling in pain or being aggressive when touched.

The only contributing factor I can think of is that he may be a little stressed since he was around roofers all day and his diet has different kinds of food in it. He eats 1 can of wet food a day, grazes on the dry food, and meows at 5AM for a "snack" which consists of chicken broth with a little chicken in it. Would that be enough to cause semi-loose stools? Should I err on the side of caution and take him to the vet with full blood-work or not worry about it unless other symptoms start showing up?

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

It's probably something dietary, but I'd at least call my vet and see what they said. Is this only happening once a week or are you only cleaning the box once a week? You might want to monitor the box more frequently regardless of how often you are now to see if there's a pattern. I hope you like looking at cat poo poo!

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

MrSlam posted:

chicken broth with a little chicken in it

Is there onion or garlic in it?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Gorgar posted:

Is there onion or garlic in it?

Nope, just chicken broth. It's actually one of those Rachael Ray Nutrition cat treats. Someone bought me a giant pack of them but the cat only licks off the top half with all the gravy and leaves the rest to dry.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
My cat's chin seems to be expanding. Should I be concerned?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Cats are a non-newtonian fluid. Everything looks normal.

edit: Oh i see the kinda big chin now. Didn't realize it was a help me post. Mea culpa.

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 5, 2016

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Here's a profile shot

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

slavatuvs posted:

Here's a profile shot

What does it feel like? If you're worried it's probably worth a trip to the vet.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

MrSlam posted:

Rachael Ray Nutrition cat treats

what

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Reik posted:

What does it feel like? If you're worried it's probably worth a trip to the vet.

It's soft and feels sorta just like fat. I was worried it was lymph nodes but it seems too soft.

The vet gave him six months two months ago so I'd rather not drag him into the vet for little things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

http://petcha.com/pet_care/ainsworth-pet-nutrition-recalls-rachael-ray-nutrish-wet-cat-food/

Got it as a gift but much larger