Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Peztopiary posted:

How many people (roughly) would you be okay with draining of blood and life if it let you live forever?

The Red Cross does this every single day. Takes some people's blood so other, usually better off people, can live a little longer.

The real difference is the amount of actual medical science underlying the treatment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

ikanreed posted:

The Red Cross does this every single day. Takes some people's blood so other, usually better off people, can live a little longer.

The real difference is the amount of actual medical science underlying the treatment.

I got a letter today thanking me very much for my donations and it came with a bronze-coloured card. :3:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Peztopiary posted:

How many people (roughly) would you be okay with draining of blood and life if it let you live forever?

Debates like these are full of people so busy worrying if they should, that they don't stop to worry whether they could.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Living forever seems really awful. Baby boomers are going nuts right now because the world changed too much for their fragile brains to handle. Imagine if there were like former centurions from the Fifth Legion running around getting in dude's faces about burnt offerings to Saturn so we'd finally put Iraq to the sword.

It is a terrible thing to have the world outlive you, and a worse thing to be a retrograde garbage merchant making GBS threads up a world that's trying to keep moving.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Jack Gladney posted:

Living forever seems really awful. Baby boomers are going nuts right now because the world changed too much for their fragile brains to handle. Imagine if there were like former centurions from the Fifth Legion running around getting in dude's faces about burnt offerings to Saturn so we'd finally put Iraq to the sword.

It is a terrible thing to have the world outlive you, and a worse thing to be a retrograde garbage merchant making GBS threads up a world that's trying to keep moving.

Philosophical questions are fun when your brain isn't filled with garbage :)

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Jack Gladney posted:

Who cares about 'the world', though? If we're positing immortality tech, I can get a decent VR rig, or at least a bunch of old books.

What's bizarre is as I was typing this, the guys on the Abject Suffering bad videogame podcast (Zombie Nation ep) were inexplicably discussing the exact same, with one of them taking the 'I'd do anything, including vampires' stance and the other...not. It's way more interesting than anything I'd say.

OkCupid used to ask 'how many people would you let die to survive'...

I started reading Ligotti. He puts into words what I've intuitively thought my whole life. It's horrifying.

Thiel seems like some kind of logical end state of Silicon Valley solipsism, but I'm still kinda shocked at McInnes going full on MRA/racist. I used to like Vice, even though it was trash.

Space Poodle
Nov 11, 2007
The McInnes MRA/racism didn't surprise me, but the religious conversion did.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ikanreed posted:

Speaking from experience the blood doesn't let you outlive your mortal lifespan it merely delays an early inevitable.

Now if you'll excuse me I hunger for the blood of moderately-obese edgelords and must go feed.

Space Poodle
Nov 11, 2007
Wait, wait.

So, what if he arranges it so that people volunteer their blood? And in our dystopian near-future, aspiring engineers will actually submit applications to give up their warm, youthy undergrad blood to the STEMOverloard?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Peztopiary posted:

But just think of all the perfectly good child blood we let go to waste inside starving third world children! We should import them and give them all the soylent they want in exchange for it.

Alternatively: Uber but for child blood.

Bloober.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
In which PZ Myers, obnoxious strident skeptic and Actual Biologist, says Thiel, you loving idiot.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Thiel is worried there's no monetization strategy for parabiosis, but surely there is an opportunity for quality brands. Rich people aren't going to want to inject the blood of just any dirty poor.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

divabot posted:

In which PZ Myers, obnoxious strident skeptic and Actual Biologist, says Thiel, you loving idiot.

PZ Myers has always seemed like a hard guy to get along with, but I'm glad he's still around because it's super refreshing at least one member of the Old Guard of New Atheism hasn't gone completely swanfighting insane.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
PZ meyers has always supported women in atheism and is a drat good guy. People who have issues with him are usually total shitheads.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
PZ is my hero. He is also really good at explaining why evopsych :biotruths: is dumb and wrong.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'll sell Thiel my blood. He's gonna have to pay premium for it though, I've got six other billionairs making offers on it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

neonnoodle posted:

PZ is my hero. He is also really good at explaining why evopsych :biotruths: is dumb and wrong.

It really hurts how many legitimate fields of science get a bad reputation because shitheads co-opt them for legitimacy. I imagine most academics who actually study evolutionary psychology resent the political arguments dragged into the field by racist and sexist lay people.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'll sell Thiel my blood. He's gonna have to pay premium for it though, I've got six other billionairs making offers on it.

Since he doesn't know what property it is that will keep him young, I recommend selling him red ink instead. Easier on the veins.

Surely the obvious outcome of this isn't a blood market, but a permanent dialysis-esque machine system?

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Somfin posted:

Since he doesn't know what property it is that will keep him young, I recommend selling him red ink instead. Easier on the veins.

Surely the obvious outcome of this isn't a blood market, but a permanent dialysis-esque machine system?

The best possible outcome from this is the invention and affordable production of lab-grown human blood.

I mean honestly, harvesting the stuff normally involves vetting thousands of icky peasants. It's gross and inefficient, just like everything else involving people who aren't Peter Thiel.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

But then poor people don't suffer for being poor.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

But then poor people don't suffer for being poor.

Nobody's stopping the rich from still taking poors' blood for sport. Fox hunting isn't about eating fox roast, after all.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Men are polygynous. Women are serially monogamous. Women are hypergamous.

It follows that the mean number of sexual partners a man has will always be enormously larger than the median number of sexual partners a man has.

The mean number of sexual partners a woman has is necessarily equal to the mean number of sexual partners a man has.

It follows that the median number of sexual partners a woman has will always be larger than the median number of sexual partners a man has.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Statistics: no gays allowed.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Sax Solo posted:

Thiel is worried there's no monetization strategy for parabiosis, but surely there is an opportunity for quality brands. Rich people aren't going to want to inject the blood of just any dirty poor.

The monetisation strategy is the "patient-funded trial" alt-med scam, the same loophole the despicable quack Burzynski used.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Space Poodle posted:

The McInnes MRA/racism didn't surprise me, but the religious conversion did.

UGH, what is that douche up to now?

pookel posted:

Comment from Reddit where this was discussed:

your av in tandem with your post seems fitting somehow :v:

EDIT:

Meanwhile, in Alabama:

Alabama Police Enters Man's Home Without Warrant and Disrespects Home Owner

this whole vid is surreal to me. Its the type of poo poo you see and hear in period piece film :stare:

BornAPoorBlkChild has a new favorite as of 16:09 on Aug 3, 2016

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

WHERE ARE YOUR MOSQUITO NETS NOW

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh divabot, any word on the physical copies of N:AB?

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

neonnoodle posted:

It really is almost the same thing as Deep Green Resistance/radfem anarcho-primitivism. Civilization as literal and figurative rape.

radfem at times feels like some weird, awful MRA strawman

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Race Realists posted:

For about 10 years every bloviating fedora was really eager to tell you all about the founder and president of feminism Valerie Solanas. I don't know what happened with that strategy. They got a lot more into racism and video game ethics, I guess.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Race Realists posted:

The worst radfem is still better than the best MRA

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Magnusth posted:

No, they're loving godawful insane stalkers who will do their best to ruin your life over an imagined slight years ago. Their favored target is "wrong" feminists, aka anyone who disagreed with them on some minutiae in the past or had the audacity of not fitting into their rigid gender conceptions.

Cathy Brennan Delenda Est.

The only better thing about them is they're extremely few in number compared to MRAs.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Kinda hilarious people think 3rd Wave Feminism is the evil intolerant one just because it's the one Anita Sarkeesian belongs to, when Cathy Brennan exist.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Magnusth posted:

Both of them want me dead so excuse me if I don't really care where on the gradient each fit.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Anita Sarkeesian

I don't know why people think she's so bad, I got linked an article interviewing her by a friend who's particularly left on most things and not generally a bad person but who was OUTRAGED at her opinions on videogames where she said things like... "maybe the girl character whose only character trait at all is "likes the color pink" is a bad idea." She wasn't even confrontational about it or call for the mass banning of videogames and deportation of all waifus or whatever, she just pointed things out and suggested ways in the future that videogame developers could make women characters better :shrug:

I mean I get that nerds can't stand women having opinions on anything at all things they nerd about but there's a lot of waay worse TERFs they could be using as the strawman face of feminism it's weird that they went with her.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I don't know why people think she's so bad, I got linked an article interviewing her by a friend who's particularly left on most things and not generally a bad person but who was OUTRAGED at her opinions on videogames where she said things like... "maybe the girl character whose only character trait at all is "likes the color pink" is a bad idea." She wasn't even confrontational about it or call for the mass banning of videogames and deportation of all waifus or whatever, she just pointed things out and suggested ways in the future that videogame developers could make women characters better :shrug:

I mean I get that nerds can't stand women having opinions on anything at all things they nerd about but there's a lot of waay worse TERFs they could be using as the strawman face of feminism it's weird that they went with her.

It's not weird at all. They don't give a poo poo about transpeople, they care a whole bunch about minorities getting uppity about "their" toys.

Also, Cathy and other TERFs have made temporary alliances with Alt-Righters in the past, so

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Small Frozen Thing posted:

It's not weird at all. They don't give a poo poo about transpeople, they care a whole bunch about minorities getting uppity about "their" toys.

Also, Cathy and other TERFs have made temporary alliances with Alt-Righters in the past, so

I know they don't care about transpeople but TERF's tend to be terrible about everything, not just that, and it would let them concern troll a lot harder.

Then again I'm kinda analyzing this as some kind of coordinated political strategy rather than a bunch of manchildren having a collective tantrum so whatever :shrug:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Anita Sarkeesian isn't a TERF tho?

https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/523221137770020864

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

He just phrased it poorly.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ohh, PP meant that there are TERFs out there that could be picked up as the shitbags, not that Anita is one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Because Sarkeesian specifically criticised / critiqued their hobby, and because some of the things TERFs are lovely about are things they'd agree with.