Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Pakled posted:

It's not a primary source, but do yourself a favor and read "Before the Storm: Barry Goldwater and the Unmaking of the American Consensus" by Rick Perlstein. Politics in the 60's were amazing and the '64 campaign was a glorious mess.

yeah that book's amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

Show me one instance where Putin acted outside his personal political interests. Trump would absolutely be harder to manage.

Oh yeah. Putin's a fucker, but he's a smart fucker. I expect campaigning with him would be a dream, if you weren't concerned about ethics.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Guys I don't think I can maintain an erection until November please help.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

I need to know how it's worse

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/760648176986681344

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

I love the idea of Trump being such an uncontrollable idiot that even a foreign plant trying to manipulate him for power realizes that he's just not worth the effort. He's too stupid to even be a "useful idiot".

EDIT:

Better yet, the idea that what we hear from Trump is actually the cleaned up version that they managed to salvage. What sort of completely vile clueless egotism would we get otherwise?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What's AG group?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Raenir Salazar posted:

Goddamnit.

InsertKriegersErection.gif

There's still another 95 days of this! How can this get worse/better?!

Sex tape showing Friend Ben shagging Melania while Trump watches

Trump straight up calling Clinton a oval office during a debate before walking off stage screaming incoherently into the hot mic he forgot to pull off

IRS investigation opened into that check

Manafort getting caught on a return flight from Russia with a can of polonium-laced CHI Helmet-head hairspray

DNC hack conclusively traced to Russian government

Trump U case goes extremely poorly for the Trump side of the courtroom

Trump actually goes into an interview where the reporter asks him about the border conflict between two small but geopolitically important countries which don't exist, and just answers with the same "We're looking into that, we're looking into a lot of things in the conflict such as where it intersects with our influence and presence in the region" before Stephen Colbert leaps out from behind a door and explains in his trademark gleeful tone that those countries actually have never existed.

Night10194 posted:

What's AG group?

Gonna guess agriculture.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Metapod posted:

Well, "suicidal" implies no one's actually made an attempt

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Night10194 posted:

What's AG group?

The return of the bimetallists

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Metapod posted:

If I had to pick, I would place my personal bet on there being rampant harassment and particularly sexual harassment among staffers.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Spiritus Nox posted:

If I had to pick, I would place my personal bet on there being rampant harassment and particularly sexual harassment among staffers.

Low hanging fruit on that prediction.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Night10194 posted:

What's AG group?

ag as in agriculture, farmers like him

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Trump's getting the Bay of Pigs treatment.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FAUXTON posted:

Trump actually goes into an interview where the reporter asks him about the border conflict between two small but geopolitically important countries which don't exist, and just answers with the same "We're looking into that, we're looking into a lot of things in the conflict such as where it intersects with our influence and presence in the region" before Stephen Colbert leaps out from behind a door and explains in his trademark gleeful tone that those countries actually have never existed.

If Trump somehow ends up on TV with the likes of Oliver or Stewart, you know this is going to happen. "Agrabah vs Durotar, what are your views on this important but troubled international border?"

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Popular Thug Drink posted:

ag as in agriculture, farmers like him

I'll take farmers over tea partiers

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Reminder: Huelskamp was kicked off of Agriculture Committee by Boehner after not being a team player in 2012

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Cythereal posted:

If Trump somehow ends up on TV with the likes of Oliver or Stewart, you know this is going to happen. "Agrabah vs Durotar, what are your views on this important but troubled international border?"

Trump is Barrens Chat personified, no way it'd be a tough choice for him

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Remember back when Trump made a big deal about how gross it was that Hillary went to the bathroom one time?

Such more innocent, civilized times, those. :allears:

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

TheBigAristotle posted:

I'm really looking forward to the HBO movie about this campaign.

Six Seasons and a Movie about this campaign you mean.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Spiritus Nox posted:

Oh yeah. Putin's a fucker, but he's a smart fucker. I expect campaigning with him would be a dream, if you weren't concerned about ethics.

If I was the campaign manager of Putin literally the only thing I would do without being asked is to put an asterisk* next to my name in the org chart and then hide under my desk until retirement.

*Not to be shot.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 3, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wait, so if tea-partiers are getting primaried...

Are we actually looking at a real GOP civil war, possibly?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I can't believe Trump is self destructing this fast. We knew it'd happen but this has to be a record. How many more 'shakeups' in his team is he gonna have before the election? Sticking to once a month? Maybe boost it to twice now that the REAL campaign has started.

The man answers 'wait what states are you winning that aren't traditional red ones' with 'eeeeh not gonna say, don't want the enemy knowing my plan'. How long until we start hearing gunshots behind him as campaign staff choose to end the suffering quickly.

The DNC spending 3 days dunking on him while he was ignored in the media probably did a huge number to his ego, and then he goes into the weekend massively loving up the response to the Khan's speech so that dominates the news for another 4 days.

Not even when he went after the hispanic judge handling the Trump U case did he have more a full week of nothing but anti-Trump stories and right now he's on day 8-9 with no signs of things letting up... and that's immediately following the "record setting" RNC speech he gave.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Words can't express how much I want to see Trump and his idiotic true believer followers annihilated in a 50-state sweep. I want Democrats at all levels to run up the score so obscenely that Hillary rides into office with both houses of Congress at her back. I want her to spend mid-September onward as shadow president, ensuring the smoothest transition of administrations in modern history. I want her to ram through every goddamn milquetoast proposal the Democratic party can muster ahead of 2018. I want her to rule over with ruthless technocratic competence, and for 2016 to go down in history as the price old, white idiots pay for flying too close to the idiot sun. What a time to be alive.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Night10194 posted:

Wait, so if tea-partiers are getting primaried...

Are we actually looking at a real GOP civil war, possibly?

nah. tea partiers come and go with rapidity, they can never deliver on their promises so they get booted out and replaced by some other jerk who gets booted out next year and so on

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I feel like Trump is going to do everything in his power to avoid the debates. He will piss and whine about how they aren't worth his time because it is biased and rigged. Man, I hope I am wrong though.

Crass Casualty
May 9, 2004
The artist formerly known as Iron Stalin
It's hard to believe it's only been two weeks since the RNC. I did not expect Trump to crash and burn with such alacrity.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

We live in the good timeline, you guys :unsmith:

If that's the case give David back. :smith:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Madkal posted:

I feel like Trump is going to do everything in his power to avoid the debates. He will piss and whine about how they aren't worth his time because it is biased and rigged. Man, I hope I am wrong though.

You're not.

For as much as Hillary sucks at speaking to large crowds or debating someone to the left of her on things, she's ice loving cold when it comes to going up against republicans and only gets better the more insane and unhinged they are. It's why Trump is trying to change the rules of the debates right now to either move them to more favorable terms for himself, or to get Stein and Johnson there so he can use them to go after Hillary or talk about how much better his plans are than theirs.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Pakled posted:

It's not a primary source, but do yourself a favor and read "Before the Storm: Barry Goldwater and the Unmaking of the American Consensus" by Rick Perlstein. Politics in the 60's were amazing and the '64 campaign was a glorious mess.

Then read Nixonland to get a glimpse of our future. :unsmigghh:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

My new fear is that Trump flames out within the next month, quits out of anger, and then the GOP replaces him with Cruz or whoever. This gives the Trumpers two months to come to terms and vote for the new Not Hillary and then the moderates that were turned off by Trump to come back. I know that's a long shot but at this point it sounds like a clearer path to victory than Trump himself actually winning.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Radish posted:

My new fear is that Trump flames out within the next month, quits out of anger, and then the GOP replaces him with Cruz or whoever. This gives the Trumpers two months to come to terms and vote for the new Not Hillary and then the moderates that were turned off by Trump to come back. I know that's a long shot but at this point it sounds like a clearer path to victory than Trump himself actually winning.

I think if they actually have their nominee flame out to the extent that they have to replace him and try to spin up a campaign apparatus with 60 days to go they're turbo-hosed.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

At the current rate by the debates Trump's campaign might just consist of him sitting around writing angry tweets with no staff.

I don't see much of a chance Trump gives up his candidacy though. I think he rides that fucker down to the end Slim Pickens style. The Republicans can try to remove him but no way that ends up with them getting in a new candidate and then winning in Nov.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Radish posted:

In the sense that you are more likely to die from Ebola than from Jedi-related lightsaber injuries, perhaps

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

This isn't terribly shocking. Trump refused to take anyone's advice before, its unsurprising that he's making his Campaign Manager's life a living hell by being a petty dictator while his campaign burns around him.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Kobayashi posted:

Words can't express how much I want to see Trump and his idiotic true believer followers annihilated in a 50-state sweep. I want Democrats at all levels to run up the score so obscenely that Hillary rides into office with both houses of Congress at her back. I want her to spend mid-September onward as shadow president, ensuring the smoothest transition of administrations in modern history. I want her to ram through every goddamn milquetoast proposal the Democratic party can muster ahead of 2018. I want her to rule over with ruthless technocratic competence, and for 2016 to go down in history as the price old, white idiots pay for flying too close to the idiot sun. What a time to be alive.

Get a load of this guy! He wants the political party that most aligns with his beliefs to win A LOT

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Night10194 posted:

I think if they actually have their nominee flame out to the extent that they have to replace him and try to spin up a campaign apparatus with 60 days to go they're turbo-hosed.
If this happens they'll put up someone like Kasich who will toe the party line and be presented as a moderate in the hopes that congressional seats don't also become a rout since the presidency is assured to be one.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Radish posted:

Cruz has literally no reason to jump on that grenade because he's the favorite in 4 years anyway.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Kobayashi posted:

Democrats advocating for Hillary to usurp Obama's authority before the inauguration! :sad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

computer parts posted:

Cruz has literally no reason to jump on that grenade because he's the favorite in 4 years anyway.

Right, even if they can replace Trump, no one who thinks they have any chance at all in 2020/2024 is going to bite the bullet on being his replacement.

• Locked thread