Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Control Volume posted:

Yeah the green bottled poo poo was one of four beers I've dumped, the other three being ones that I'm drat sure had gone sour (though I guess being in a green bottle qualifies urquell for this category) while the canned stuff is the best pilsner, draft or not, that I've ever tasted
What's really sad is Urquel is maybe the tenth best Czech pils I've had in the Czech Republic. All the best stuff is produced by small breweries and consumed within 20km of where it's brewed.

Shabadu posted:

Dinner release 8/20. 1 case limit. My wife and kids will be out of town without me. I'm seriously considering lining up at 3am, please talk me out of it.
I'd tell you to save me a bottle but I won't be seeing you for more than two weeks so meh. Do what you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Seems a little late for dinner

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

poop dood posted:

Holy gently caress they're canning Pilsner Urquell now?!

There was a marked improvement when they switched from green to brown bottles, and now cans? gently caress! I'm gonna drink so much of that.

They've been doing it for a while. Still pasteurized, mind. Tankovna is where it's at.

Basically, Czech beer is best in the Czech republic

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Shabadu posted:

Dinner release 8/20. 1 case limit. My wife and kids will be out of town without me. I'm seriously considering lining up at 3am, please talk me out of it.

Why would I talk you out of it, wouldn't want you to be late for Dinner now would we?

e;fb on my loving joke. /sigh.

Good beer is good, do what makes you happy to get it.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

bartolimu posted:

Pilsner Urquel on tap at the first pub it was ever tapped, in Prague, is ambrosia from heaven. The green bottles and trans-Atlantic trip do horrible, horrible things to a beautiful and noble beer.

Can confirm, the unfiltered version on draught is the truth

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Shabadu posted:

did that work?

a coworker gave me a bottle of Coffee Dinosmores and that was one of the most chocolate syrup-tasting beers i've ever had. kinda one note, but i could have drank three more last night, no problem.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Kaiho posted:

They've been doing it for a while. Still pasteurized, mind. Tankovna is where it's at.

Basically, Czech beer is best in the Czech republic

Like, 10 years or so.

And pretty much every czech lager is fantastic if you're drinking it fresh. Staropramen and budvar are totally different beers from the canned or bottled stuff they export.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Pilsner Urquell poured in the underground cellar out of the wood barrel is one of those truly memorable :aaaaa: moments for any beer fan and that was a huge highlight of visiting the Czech Republic. The canned stuff is solid even if it's pasteurized and it's pretty easily found too.

But yeah, generally Czech pilsners are in top form when served at a tankovna. My favorite pub was U Sadu because of the Sadek exclusively poured there.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

air- posted:

Pilsner Urquell poured in the underground cellar out of the wood barrel is one of those truly memorable :aaaaa: moments for any beer fan and that was a huge highlight of visiting the Czech Republic. The canned stuff is solid even if it's pasteurized and it's pretty easily found too.

But yeah, generally Czech pilsners are in top form when served at a tankovna. My favorite pub was U Sadu because of the Sadek exclusively poured there.

U Pinkasu is my usual (and the aforementioned first Urquel source), but I'll have to get over to Žižkov to try U Sadu if I get to Prague again. U Fleku is too loving touristy but I still go there when I can because their proprietary beer is one of the best in the world.

In the States, the only brewery doing Czech-level pils is Noble Brewing in Anaheim. Their Czech blonde and dark are both excruciatingly close to the originals.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

bartolimu posted:

U Pinkasu is my usual (and the aforementioned first Urquel source), but I'll have to get over to Žižkov to try U Sadu if I get to Prague again. U Fleku is too loving touristy but I still go there when I can because their proprietary beer is one of the best in the world.

In the States, the only brewery doing Czech-level pils is Noble Brewing in Anaheim. Their Czech blonde and dark are both excruciatingly close to the originals.

I was pretty frustrated with U Fleku; I liked the beer, but constantly getting pestered to buy shots got real annoying.

I dig FW Pivo but I've also been crushing a ton of Saint Arnold 5 o clock pils. Falls the gently caress off past 6 weeks of canning date unfortunately.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

bartolimu posted:

I really enjoyed my (solo) lunch at u Fleku. I was watching the waiters trick a horde of German students into shots while downing about 4 pints of that dark lager and eating things that would give me heartburn for days. I mean, it is a horrible monstrosity but both the food and beer are good.

My bar of choice is u Zlateho Tygra though. So uninviting and dour, plus you have to be there early if you want to have any hope of getting in. My kind of place.

See I thought that Pivo Pils from Firestone Walker hit that hoppy note of a fresh pilsner for me. We got a small amount in the UK and it was super fresh and tasty.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
Do you like cask beer? Do you like drinking really weird one-offs that may never again see the light of day? Good, then you should come to Cask Days, it's a cask beer festival in Toronto that's held every year in late October. This year there's going to be 400 beers, nothing specific announced yet, same as every year, you only really know who's going to be there a month in advance, and exactly what's going to be on about a week in advance. In the 5 years I've gone, I've never been disappointed with the selection. This isn't just english cask ales, there's things that are all over the board. Brett porter, 16-way IPA showdown, dry hopped sours, brown ale with beef stock, you name it, that style is probably there in some capacity.

Tickets go on sale today: http://festival.caskdays.com/tickets and this year the even is October 21st to 23rd.

You should all go, it's a great time and a nice way to spend the night. Just dress warm.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Kaiho posted:

See I thought that Pivo Pils from Firestone Walker hit that hoppy note of a fresh pilsner for me. We got a small amount in the UK and it was super fresh and tasty.

You probably enjoyed it so much because it was fresh. I love Pivo but other than when FW entered the market, I haven't seen a single release of theirs on the shelf that was less than 4-5 weeks old. I gather that this is an issue across the country.

Shabadu posted:

Lining up for anything at 3am is stupid

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Kaiho posted:

I really enjoyed my (solo) lunch at u Fleku. I was watching the waiters trick a horde of German students into shots while downing about 4 pints of that dark lager and eating things that would give me heartburn for days. I mean, it is a horrible monstrosity but both the food and beer are good.

My bar of choice is u Zlateho Tygra though. So uninviting and dour, plus you have to be there early if you want to have any hope of getting in. My kind of place.

I found U Zlateho Tygru once and haven't managed it again. It's in that area of Prague I always get lost in, and I'm not there nearly often enough to get better at navigating. It seemed nice in that particularly Bohemian working-class way (which I also love), but was packed full with people waiting so I had to move on.

Pivo is a very good beer, but doesn't quite scratch the Czech pils itch for me. And I've had it fresh; the Vegas FW rep is very good about rotating stock.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

cryme posted:

You probably enjoyed it so much because it was fresh. I love Pivo but other than when FW entered the market, I haven't seen a single release of theirs on the shelf that was less than 4-5 weeks old. I gather that this is an issue across the country.

Bear in mind that I tried it in the UK, where given shipping it was definitely a minimum of 4 weeks old. But it did die a rapid hop-death.

Then again we can get Tipopils on occasion too so that does nicely.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

cryme posted:

I'd be lucky to find month old Pivo in Chicago. 6 months+ seems to be the standard around here.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Reminder: AHA member presale for GABF tickets starts in 20 minutes.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Waiting in line for Are You Afraid of the Dank by Cellarmaker.

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

obi_ant posted:

Waiting in line for Are You Afraid of the Dank by Cellarmaker.

I'm bummed that I can't make it out for this one. I've only been for Double Dobis as far as bottle releases, but I was able to walk up around 4 and there was no line. they did sell out soon after though, but that was supposedly the fastest they've sold out yet

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Hey funkybottoms, I'm at Ardent right now and the Nelson Sauvin Saison tastes like Sprite and I love it.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

poop dood posted:

Hey funkybottoms, I'm at Ardent right now and the Nelson Sauvin Saison tastes like Sprite and I love it.

glad to hear it! same yeast, but totally different recipe from our normal saison; this one is Rob's baby and we're pretty happy with it. speaking of saison, we bottled our tokaj barrel-aged saison today for release this weekend, so that's pretty interesting, and we're getting wine barrels to age more saison (with fruit!) tomorrow. oh, and we're probably gonna do a radler again soon, too, except this time it will be a real radler rather than the Frankenstein thing we put together for the UCI event last year.

and have you had any Berliner? i dig the raspberry lime syrup something fierce.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
All the Pilsner Urquell posts inspired me to snag a few cans today. I had only had the bottled stuff previously, and the cans are so much better it's almost like drinking a different beer.

There are a lot of bad pilsners made by BC brewers, but I really like Driftwood's Pilsner Doehnel and Persephone's Keller Pilsner.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Klaus Kinski posted:

Like, 10 years or so.

And pretty much every czech lager is fantastic if you're drinking it fresh. Staropramen and budvar are totally different beers from the canned or bottled stuff they export.

I hear this about every euro beer and wonder how much of it is reality vs. the "vacation effect"

We just did a pilsner showdown and I think most of the Euros (esp green bottle) were suffering from age/packaging woes.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

MunchE posted:

I hear this about every euro beer and wonder how much of it is reality vs. the "vacation effect"

We just did a pilsner showdown and I think most of the Euros (esp green bottle) were suffering from age/packaging woes.

I don't disagree with that idea, except tankovna is something particularly special about drinking in the Czech Republic. Having the beer served in that manner just doesn't happen anywhere else: http://www.drafthouse.co.uk/news/2014/tankovna-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-pilsner-urquell/

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

MunchE posted:

In a blind test I would not be able to tell that czech budvar and canned budvar are the same beer. The recipe is also probably different considering the canned stuff is 5.5% abv, the stuff in czech is 4.2% or 4.5%.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

I'm bummed that I can't make it out for this one. I've only been for Double Dobis as far as bottle releases, but I was able to walk up around 4 and there was no line. they did sell out soon after though, but that was supposedly the fastest they've sold out yet

I was there for that one too. I really wish they gave out coasters for the bottles that you buy. Also, from what I know Double Dobis was their first release of that specific beer, Coffee and Cigs and Are you Afraid of the Dank come out all the time.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Got my 5 bottles of concentrated Whale Juice from Lost Abbey. At least I was able to check out on my own sweet-rear end time!

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

obi_ant posted:

I was there for that one too. I really wish they gave out coasters for the bottles that you buy. Also, from what I know Double Dobis was their first release of that specific beer, Coffee and Cigs and Are you Afraid of the Dank come out all the time.

no way, the first release of DD was back for their first year anniversary party in October of 2014. that bottled batch was probably like the 5th batch they've made. just from my untappd history alone I've had 4 different batches of it and I'm pretty sure I've missed it before.

the only bottled beer that's been new was the City Beer Store one.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Going to Forest & Main tomorrow for dinner. Any recommendations?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Klaus Kinski posted:

In a blind test I would not be able to tell that czech budvar and canned budvar are the same beer. The recipe is also probably different considering the canned stuff is 5.5% abv, the stuff in czech is 4.2% or 4.5%.

I think they make a 10, 11, and 12 Plato beer so maybe it is a different beer? I don't know, haven't really looked at the packaging on either side of the Atlantic.

Angry Grimace posted:

Got my 5 bottles of concentrated Whale Juice from Lost Abbey. At least I was able to check out on my own sweet-rear end time!

My friend who was about 1400 tickets ahead of me on purchase number got five bottles. I did not. Now I wait to see if I lucked out for three.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

no way, the first release of DD was back for their first year anniversary party in October of 2014. that bottled batch was probably like the 5th batch they've made. just from my untappd history alone I've had 4 different batches of it and I'm pretty sure I've missed it before.

the only bottled beer that's been new was the City Beer Store one.

I thought that was D++? My mistake. Double Dobis is pretty amazing.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

funkybottoms posted:

glad to hear it! same yeast, but totally different recipe from our normal saison; this one is Rob's baby and we're pretty happy with it. speaking of saison, we bottled our tokaj barrel-aged saison today for release this weekend, so that's pretty interesting, and we're getting wine barrels to age more saison (with fruit!) tomorrow. oh, and we're probably gonna do a radler again soon, too, except this time it will be a real radler rather than the Frankenstein thing we put together for the UCI event last year.

and have you had any Berliner? i dig the raspberry lime syrup something fierce.

I'd never so much as heard of Tokaj wine until today but I'm definitely interested in seeing what you guys do with barrels of such interesting provenance.

And after posting that I had the Berliner with raspberry lime syrup and it ruled. My friend had the smoked ginger lemonade and we didn't taste any smoke there but it was definitely still very pleasant. I love that you guys are doing that, getting a popsicle place to do Berliner syrups is such a great idea.

prayer group fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 3, 2016

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Podima posted:

Drink everything. Eat everything. And if they still have bottles of Solaire Reserve buy them.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Kaiho posted:

I've had Pivo Pils in the UK and it was really good and fresh...but like double the cost of a great German or Czech pils.

I really, really liked Krusovice amongst the bigger brand Czech pils, but that beer does NOT travel well at all :(

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

MunchE posted:

I've been to Prague seven times now, and the pils definitely tastes better there. I had the Tanknova in Barcelona of all places the other week, and it was fantastic there as well.

Age is absolutely an issue with a lot of beer over here, poo poo sits in warehouses for months in green bottle.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Podima posted:

They had a pork belly kimchi crepe on the menu a while back that was the best thing I've ever had there, so should they have that, get it. Otherwise, what Hatful said.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Spuckuk posted:

I've been to Prague seven times now, and the pils definitely tastes better there. I had the Tanknova in Barcelona of all places the other week, and it was fantastic there as well.

Age is absolutely an issue with a lot of beer over here, poo poo sits in warehouses for months in green bottle.

The local around the corner from my work has Tankovna Urquell. It's not badly priced (£4.50 a pint? Maybe?) but is diacetylic as gently caress. I know slight diacetyl is OK in the style but I legit don't understand how it gets that way on its journey from Pilsen to London.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Kaiho posted:

The local around the corner from my work has Tankovna Urquell. It's not badly priced (£4.50 a pint? Maybe?) but is diacetylic as gently caress. I know slight diacetyl is OK in the style but I legit don't understand how it gets that way on its journey from Pilsen to London.

:gonk:

Big part of the tankovna culture is proper line maintenance too; felt like every place I went to in Prague took it very seriously.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Drink everything. Eat everything. And if they still have bottles of Solaire Reserve buy them.

a worthy uhh posted:

They had a pork belly kimchi crepe on the menu a while back that was the best thing I've ever had there, so should they have that, get it. Otherwise, what Hatful said.

:tipshat: Thanks, you two!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

air- posted:

:gonk:

Big part of the tankovna culture is proper line maintenance too; felt like every place I went to in Prague took it very seriously.

It must be a line infection, but it's weird because all their other lines are tip top. Brand new bar too, and part of a decent chain.