Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Alright, the last major slab of parts has been ordered. This should bring me to the point where we have all the components to complete this except the driveshaft and exhaust, both of which are dependent on the engine's placement in the van's engine bay, and technically we have all the components for those it's just a question of length adjustment on the DS and having an exhaust shop weld up the exhaust.

Yes, that means I dropped $700 on the painless performance harness just to make sure everything goes smoothly :smith:

still cheaper than renting a car, and way more fun, so whatever! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
After having seen the aftermath of the power plant's journey to the mid-Atlantic today, I dub that trailer hitch cargo carrier the "Leaning Platform of Transmission"... a few more miles and it may have been a goner. I can only imagine the language directed towards iForge while rolling down I95.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
Engine is on a pallet at absentmindedwelder's shop for the time being. The hitch basket is permanently bent but didnt look like it was about to fail to be honest. It is going in the dumpster regardless. Goodnight sweet prince.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

iForge posted:

Engine is on a pallet at absentmindedwelder's shop for the time being. The hitch basket is permanently bent but didnt look like it was about to fail to be honest. It is going in the dumpster regardless. Goodnight sweet prince.

Oh, it's a 2000 with the iron heads. Gonna go grab some 5.3 heads for a little more compression and lighter weight? I always forget those iron ones exist.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

AbsentMindedWelder posted:

After having seen the aftermath of the power plant's journey to the mid-Atlantic today, I dub that trailer hitch cargo carrier the "Leaning Platform of Transmission"... a few more miles and it may have been a goner. I can only imagine the language directed towards iForge while rolling down I95.

It made a pretty excellent tailgater deterrent, I know that much :v: They'd creep up, we'd hit an expansion joint and watch 'em fall waaaay back. It looked sketchier than it really was though, I've seen photographic evidence of that carrier hauling two NV4500s at once. The 4l80/t-case just wasn't a well-balanced load.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 22, 2016

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Raluek posted:

Oh, it's a 2000 with the iron heads. Gonna go grab some 5.3 heads for a little more compression and lighter weight? I always forget those iron ones exist.

I was told 2002. All LQ4s have iron heads, no? It has to be from the 2002 and older model years because from 2003-up they went flex fuel (injector change) and ethrottle, and those newer ones don't have a standard return-type fuel system with an integrated regulator :v:

I don't think I'm really gonna be worrying about weight in this thing. And if it lands up getting a turbo kit for next year... :3:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

literally a fish posted:

I was told 2002. All LQ4s have iron heads, no? It has to be from the 2002 and older model years because from 2003-up they went flex fuel (injector change) and ethrottle, and those newer ones don't have a standard return-type fuel system with an integrated regulator :v:

I don't think I'm really gonna be worrying about weight in this thing. And if it lands up getting a turbo kit for next year... :3:

Bizarre, I thought it was just 2000 (maybe some 99s also?). But I'm sure you've done more research than I have since it's your motor!

E: Internet says that the iron head '99-'00 motors have a longer crankshaft than all the other LS motors, so that will be fun!

I guess measuring the crank is one way to know for sure if it's a '00 down or a '01 up. That way you'd know for sure.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 22, 2016

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I forgot it was an lq4 and was wondering how they got aluminum heads to rust. Also, I kinda wonder if the lq9 6.0 is the same deal as the l33 5.3 where they used flat top pistons, a fancy cam and a nicer head with stock truck springs/valves to make the high output version. Gen 3 sbc legos are awesome and now I get why honda guys like playing honda legos. :3:

Edit: quick research says that it was in fact 99 and 2000 that had iron heads, all other years were aluminum. Also, the lq9 only has flat top pistons. Thats disappointing.

Edit 2: For reference, the casting number on the iron heads would be 12561873. The aluminum heads would be casting number 12562317 if thathelps, not that the rust isn't a major indicator of what its made of already. :v:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jul 22, 2016

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Interesting. Either way, I'm not fussed. It's ~300hp of V8. That'll do :v:

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

literally a fish posted:

Interesting. Either way, I'm not fussed. It's ~300hp of V8. That'll do :v:

....for now.

You left off the two most important words

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I'm sure you can locate a turbo off of a diesel to correct that HP number.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
It's a cam and a set of valve springs away from 400hp, i'm told :v:

But hey aren't iron heads better for when we slap a turbo on

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

literally a fish posted:

It's a cam and a set of valve springs away from 400hp, i'm told :v:

But hey aren't iron heads better for when we slap a turbo on

By all indications, the iron heads perform just about exactly the same as the aluminum ones. Plus, I don't think Denmah has had any aluminum head casting failures, and if anyone was going to, he would. I think it's just a matter of weight (and maybe cooling).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Your LQ4 is Rob Zombie approved. gently caress it, run it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DqLVfxM-NE

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
A man travels south. His cargo heavy but his shoulders light, for his purpose is known. Destiny awaits.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
:f5: :f5: :f5:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Did you died :ohdear:

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Engine is in richmond along with the trans and harness. 11 hours of driving today. Wilmington to Richmond and back with a quick stop in Newport News. 530 miles in all. Im loving beat

iForge fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 31, 2016

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

I can't help but love this pic.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Badgerdog best shopdog.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
I get on the first plane in my three-hop itinerary in 24 hours give or take a bit :v:

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

literally a fish posted:

I get on the first plane in my three-hop itinerary in 24 hours give or take a bit :v:

itshappening.jpg

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Hi I got bored so here's some pics of yo poo poo in my spider breeding grounds messy garage:

This poo poo is getting rather packed, consequently:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

literally a fish posted:

Haha holy poo poo, how long do you have to complete the van's swap?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
The Vantasy needs to be ready before August 20th. It's going to be uh...fun.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Depending on how the rest of this week goes, I may be available to come down on Friday night, and stay through Monday. If not, then next weekend is also a possibility.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
That would be awesome, sharky :love:

I am on the first plane. HERE WE GOOOOOO

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Reminder that if you happen to head south to see the wondrous southern beaches of the US of A, I have plenty of time off, just let met know, let's do some stuff.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

What the gently caress did you do to get that custom text?!

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

There''s another van in the south if ya need it! :haw:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
We need a punishment car to make him drive if he can't get the van together.

I'm thinking a 2001 Kia Rio. :unsmigghh:

Edit: Post the worst cars u got

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Ripoff posted:

Get one of the WRX-clone Rios. He'll find that comfortable.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Get one of the WRX-clone Rios. He'll find that comfortable.

Do this. It's the ultimate punishment for any subaru driver.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Ripoff posted:

PT cruiser convertible.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
P38 rover

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Oldsmobile Delta 88 4.3L diesel.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That Cadillac with the cylinder deactivation.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

G-Wiz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Adiabatic posted:

Hi I got bored so here's some pics of yo poo poo in my spider breeding grounds messy garage:

This poo poo is getting rather packed, consequently:

BMW still not fixed huh

• Locked thread