Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Alteisen posted:

Sylvester's gone, he seemed to be perking up and went to bed after a good meal but when I went to check on him he was gone.

I guess his body had just taken to much abuse. :smith:

Feel like poo poo, I know I did everything but goddammit.

you are a super good person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Alteisen posted:

I just wanted him to make it so badly, after he went through he deserved it.

Pets deserve the world and more. But we can't give it to them, so we give them a little bit (or a lot) of ourselves. You are a good person, and Sylvester deserved you. :unsmith:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Thank you all for the kind words.

This is bothering me so much more than I thought it would, I keep checking the kennel I kept him expecting him to be there and of course its empty and I just start crying, he was even grooming himself again, he hadn't done that when he got here but after like a week or so he was back at it, I was gonna try to use the dry cat wipes on him when he was over his respiratory thing.

I remember how this cat looked in his healthy years, he was a big, imposing animal, I wanted him to look that way again. :smith:

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
One of my shelter volunteer friends is fostering a brand new set of kibbuns. I think they are named after sodas but I don't have names straight. I might be going over one night this week to help bottle feed. They are just now opening their eyes.

fake edit: this post took way too long because imgur sucks so hard now.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:3:

I bought a cat tree. i underestimated its size its is quite large. I may have made a mistake but it is too late now.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You can never have too much cat tree

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Azhais posted:

You can never have too much cat tree

This is the correct answer

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

But you can have too little cat tree*, so it's better to err on the side of bigger than you need.

*Too little cat tree is also known as 'any cat tree' to Butterscotch.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That middle little one has some persian in him. :3:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

SneakyFrog posted:

:3:

I bought a cat tree. i underestimated its size its is quite large. I may have made a mistake but it is too late now.

Better buy another of the same size and join them together.

If you're gonna already be too big, you might as well go for comic effect.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Be careful: cats will expand to 105% of their available volume of bed/roost/cardboard box. It may take a while, but it'll happen.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

But you can have too little cat tree*, so it's better to err on the side of bigger than you need.

*Too little cat tree is also known as 'any cat tree' to Butterscotch.

*Ahem*

:colbert:

And I'll have you know that when he's in there, he's in his "butter forest."

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
There's the buttery existential dread we've come to know and love.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chili posted:

*Ahem*

I need this, where'd you get this cat tree?

Its friggin perfect, just the right size for my room.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Chili posted:

*Ahem*

That is an amazing tree! Butters is a lucky fellow. I built one from scratch for two of our flock and they have wrecked it over the years. I am so proud of them. :3:

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Alteisen you're a wonderful person and you did good by Sylvester. Everyone already said it better than I could, but the fact is he had a full belly and was clean and warm and safe, and that's 1000% better than he was when you found him.

You did good <3

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Alteisen posted:

I need this, where'd you get this cat tree?

Its friggin perfect, just the right size for my room.

I got it here:

http://home.woot.com/offers/armarkat-cat-trees-your-choice-1

Typically their site is awful but the deal was so good that we went for it.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BYQ1C8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought this one because i figured it was a decent deal and cattegoons seem to like this manufacturer.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I like the cat trees and prices on aosom.com. Never had any issues. Free shipping is a nice bonus.

(Armarkat brand is also great.)

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I have extended the life of my Armarkat by re-sisaling it myself every year or so. The platforms and overall construction are sill in great shape 5 years later, even from heavy traffic. Adding new rope has saved me cash money and it's not a bad little weekend afternoon project. Also, tearing it down and putting it back together every so often let me tighten up the build to keep it stable.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

SneakyFrog posted:

eh last 2 inches or so look pretty dead. :smith: dont like chopping up kittehs.

already happy and full of purrs. little rumblething and learning how to cat from the cuddly cat :3:

Does removing part of the tail cause pain for the cat? I feel like cutting up the nerves would result in chronic pain issues.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Pollyanna posted:

Does removing part of the tail cause pain for the cat? I feel like cutting up the nerves would result in chronic pain issues.

IANAV, but the shelter I volunteer with does a fair share of partial and complete tail amputations when strays come in with damage (which happens more than any of us like). Except for a few rare cases, the cats become new kitties almost overnight, going from hissing and cowering to warming up into playful cuddlefluffs.

Obviously, we monitor them for any signs of discomfort or pain. But it's safe to say that by removing a damaged/dead tail we are alleviating a greater discomfort/pain.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Pollyanna posted:

fortunately the kittens tail is good and all nice and fluffy now

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Chili posted:

*Ahem*

Yes! It worked! I really really wanted to see Butters on a cat tree. :neckbeard:

Does he ever sit up in the ring, or is that too much for him?

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Yes! It worked! I really really wanted to see Butters on a cat tree. :neckbeard:

Does he ever sit up in the ring, or is that too much for him?

He sometimes is able to get his butter up on to that second podium. When this happens, it is pure magic. He covers the entire surface and it looks like he's hovering. He'll only do that once a month or so, if we're lucky and we never see him get up there, so we have no idea how he does it. I will do my best to capture it next time.

I'm not sure if he'll ever be able to get much higher than that though.

We took him in for a check up and they were over the moon with his progress. He's down to an even 22 and the optimistic, yet realistic, goal is that by the end of this year he could be all the way down to 18 pounds. At that point, it's likely that losing anymore will be difficult on its own.

I then asked the question that I didn't want the answer to; is there some kind of surgical procedure to remove excess skin from cats who were spoiled by grandma's and were once 30 pounds?

The answer, unfortunately, is yes. "Unfortunately" because though they didn't know what the exact price would be, it's likely it would be expensive and probably out of our budget. The vet did express some concern that his excess skin and pouch may end up drooping so much that he steps on it, and that would obviously not be pleasant for him, and in turn not pleasant for us as he's more than willing to express himself when he's unhappy. It's a little frustrating knowing that we're doing the best we can for him, and everything is going well, but there may be a big ol buttery problem at the end of this road.

Hopefully, it'll be a nonissue and the skin tightens up enough, but the way his lower pouch already skims the floor.... uch, I'm just not going to think about it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Maybe you can make him a girdle or something.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Maybe you can make him a girdle or something.

he can be like a proper starship captain that way!

:shrug: Id chip in.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah I'd totally help throw money towards making a new and happier butters if it turns out to be a problem for him.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Time to make a Buttervest for him to keep all that skin tucked up. (Sweaterscotch?)

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I'm for all these ideas. KNIT HIM A GIRDLE! :catstare:

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

Sweaterscotch?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

:catbert: I dont think butters has alcoholichands.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Is that Wilford Brimley?

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Well, here's my answer...
Personally I want to see a rubber band on his back making a flappy-skin-topknot. Not a great long-term solution though.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Thundershirts are cat spanx. At the least you'll get some entertainment out of it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I'll gladly help fund a Butter-Tuck.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Just give Butters a couple of synthol injections he'll be the swollest cat ever in no time :krakken:

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

Lareine posted:

Is that Wilford Brimley?

Yes. Butters doesn't have the mustache, but the same look of muted dread.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Well, it looks like I'm going to be fostering soon, but first some backstory:

In the spring I noticed a new cat wandering in the neighborhood that would come into my yard and roll all over my catnip. It had a flea collar, so I assumed it belonged to somebody and was mostly just annoyed. I put stakes around the catnip so the cat could no longer roll it to death and promptly forgot about it. Til a month ago, that is, when I accidentally startled this cat while coming out onto my back porch. It was hotter than Satan's ballsack outside, and the poor cat was trying to drink water out of the saucers under my flowerpots. At that point I noticed that it still had on the same flea collar from the spring, and realized it had probably been abandoned. A few days of giving her food and water warmed her up to me, and she now actively seeks me out for petting and brushings and spends a whole lot of her time on my back deck. Asking around the neighborhood and putting found cat notices online has yielded nothing.

So anyway, it just so happens I have connections with the local SPCA- not only have I been a cat foster for them in the past, but my friend works for them as the admissions administrator. She's going to do the admit consult on this cat when she comes over for our Sunday D&D game, and put her on the wait list. In the interim, I'll effectively be fostering her until room opens up at the SPCA, which will probably be in October.

Here's the cat in question:

She was horribly matted when we first started caring for her, but she's super sweet and trusting to the point where she even let me use scissors to cut off the mats that weren't close to her skin. The poor thing is so attention-starved that she'd actually rather be petted than eat. My kids have been calling her Miss Priss (mainly because of the constant look of disdain for humanity that is natural to Persians), but that's not a very adoptable name so we're looking for suggestions on a good name that will catch people's attention in the shelter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Good on you for taking in an awesome cat!

As for names, she looks a lot like a Truffles to me.