Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

joepinetree posted:

Of all the reasons to criticize this Olympics, Zika is the silliest. Infection rates are ridiculously low this time of the year in Rio.

Yeah but for every country it infects it gets free evolution points!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

joepinetree posted:

Of all the reasons to criticize this Olympics, Zika is the silliest. Infection rates are ridiculously low this time of the year in Rio.

Infection rates because of mosquitoes. But it is also an STD.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Do the low infection rates account for the present population or do they factor in the influx of visitors and mixing of native and foreign populations that would occur at the Olympics?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

Thankfully, olympic villages gathering thousands of young and fertile athletes with beautifully sculpted bodies at peak physical condition who often have little time for dating due to training are at no risk of STDs!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Yinlock posted:

I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around the fact that they feel that it's totally okay to hold an international event in the middle of a virus outbreak.

I guess I'm just being paranoid though, what about inviting people from all over the world to a place with a fairly debilitating virus that apparently also attacks the reproductive system and has multiple avenues of infection could possibly go wrong?

EDIT: To take it to a hyperbolic extreme, it's like "Welcome to the International Games held in AIDStown, the town where everyone has and contracts the dangerous HIV virus. Also there's no law, because at this point gently caress it."

Tom Clancy had that as a villain's plan in Rainbow 6

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

dex_sda posted:

Thankfully, olympic villages gathering thousands of young and fertile athletes with beautifully sculpted bodies at peak physical condition who often have little time for dating due to training are at no risk of STDs!

Also tourists with discount prostitutes.

In fact dollar for dollar currently some of the best accomodation in Rio is to rent a room in a brothel.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

With a fairly restricted contagious window, at a time when the main vector of transmission virtually disappears.

There have been more cases of zika this week in Miami than Rio. And even with the Olympics Miami still will receive more tourists this year than Rio.

But don't believe me:

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(16)30842-X/fulltext?rss%3Dyes

Again, zika in the Olympics is an overblown panic.

There are plenty of things to actually worry about in the Olympics instead of this. But if you really want to worry about zika, there are more people cruising the Caribbean this summer than going to Rio, and right now it's peak zika season there.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

joepinetree posted:

With a fairly restricted contagious window, at a time when the main vector of transmission virtually disappears.

There have been more cases of zika this week in Miami than Rio. And even with the Olympics Miami still will receive more tourists this year than Rio.

But don't believe me:

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(16)30842-X/fulltext?rss%3Dyes

Again, zika in the Olympics is an overblown panic.

There are plenty of things to actually worry about in the Olympics instead of this. But if you really want to worry about zika, there are more people cruising the Caribbean this summer than going to Rio, and right now it's peak zika season there.

An STD with multiple avenues of attack out-breaking in the Bone Zone, next to professional athletes(always known for their self-control), next to no kind of law and order.

I agree it's somehow not the most worrying thing here, but it's still a big problem and should be enough to move the Olympics on it's own not even counting Rio apparently being a turbo-shithole, a fact which shouldn't have escaped the Olympic committee's notice unless they did no research whatsoe- oh :sigh:

I don't keep up with the Olympics' inner workings but do they usually take a page out of the Sepp Blatter playbook, because this entire situation is FIFA as gently caress.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 3, 2016

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Puerto Rico has a ton of Zika now. So I don't think the US has to worry about getting more Zika from Rio. We already have it.

I'm more interested in the criminal negligence and awful planning that will lead to the Rio Olympics being a shambling mess. An act of nature like Zika is no fun. It needs to come from humans being really really bad at stuff while hosting an event that is supposed to celebrate humans being really really good at stuff.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Ccs posted:

Puerto Rico has a ton of Zika now. So I don't think the US has to worry about getting more Zika from Rio. We already have it.

I'm more interested in the criminal negligence and awful planning that will lead to the Rio Olympics being a shambling mess. An act of nature like Zika is no fun. It needs to come from humans being really really bad at stuff while hosting an event that is supposed to celebrate humans being really really good at stuff.

I dunno if I would count on that. The World Cup ran perfectly fine, most of the "shambling mess" aspect comes before and after the event (and let's be fair, y'all couldn't give a gently caress about Rio or Brazil after this is all said and done, so for this discussion what matters is the before). I'd bet on the Olympics itself running perfectly fine, maybe people complaining about infrastructure (oh my god they have waste baskets for toilet paper too??), some big news about someone getting mugged in his "third-world hellhole", end of story.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Yinlock posted:

An STD with multiple avenues of attack out-breaking in the Bone Zone, next to professional athletes(always known for their self-control), next to no kind of law and order.

I agree it's somehow not the most worrying thing here, but it's still a big problem and should be enough to move the Olympics on it's own not even counting Rio apparently being a turbo-shithole, a fact which shouldn't have escaped the Olympic committee's notice unless they did no research whatsoe- oh :sigh:

I don't keep up with the Olympics' inner workings but do they usually take a page out of the Sepp Blatter playbook, because this entire situation is FIFA as gently caress.

Perhaps you arent aware of this, but there are other stds than zika, most with longer periods where they are contagious, and yet olympics dont become a breeding ground for stds. Of course, you are also the person talking about Olympic athletes lacking self control, so i dont know how serious you are being.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
You can talk about self-control or whatever but the Olympics is a fuckathon and has been for decades now.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Cliff Racer posted:

You can talk about self-control or whatever but the Olympics is a fuckathon and has been for decades now.

Eh, I think it's more about using protection and poo poo, they ain't gonna gently caress bareback besides a pool filled with mosquito larvae. Probably. Maybe some of them would, I don't trust those water polo guys.

Regardless, Zika is more of an issue in impoverished, non-urban regions, which I don't think athletes or tourists will be hanging around much. It's also way more concerning during the summer, what with life cycles and all. I dunno (well, I do, but eh) why people got so attached to THIS issue, maybe hopeful thinking that THIS time it's the disease that'll wipe us off Planet Earth once and for all.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Cliff Racer posted:

And the one story you can be sure will be written about every olympics is the amount of condoms used. Because, unsurprisingly, people who spend decades eating healthy and exercising full time care enough about their health to use them. Stds existed before zika. So did pregnancies. But somehow this fuckathon hasn't led to the massive outbreaks.

But hey, I'm sure the actual experts are wrong. Olympic athletes loving bareback will singlehandedly reignite the epidemic that is at trace levels this time of year.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Why is everyone suddenly enamored with the fact that athletes have been loving, even since the days of Coubertin (on strychnine and cocaine, no less).

IndianaZoidberg posted:

What is the likelihood of stadium collapse during the opening ceremony?

The odds I am going with is 1:25.

Is this going to be the Vasa of the 21st century? Everybody knows it is going to sink, but they are sure enough gonna push that bastard in the water anyway.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
cannot wait for the fuckin' maracanã to sink tbf

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

dex_sda posted:

Please, these peak specimens of human athleticism and fertility don't want to copulate with the filthy local population and their mosquito bites. This Olympics will be like every other where all the athletes just get regular std's from all the other foreign competitors.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dias posted:

I dunno if I would count on that. The World Cup ran perfectly fine, most of the "shambling mess" aspect comes before and after the event (and let's be fair, y'all couldn't give a gently caress about Rio or Brazil after this is all said and done, so for this discussion what matters is the before). I'd bet on the Olympics itself running perfectly fine, maybe people complaining about infrastructure (oh my god they have waste baskets for toilet paper too??), some big news about someone getting mugged in his "third-world hellhole", end of story.

On the other hand, the world cup was not played in raw sewage.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

hobbesmaster posted:

On the other hand, the world cup was not played in raw sewage.

That's the one major fuckup in the organization, I have no idea why they didn't move the competition if the water is THAT bad like every foreign media organization is reporting. However, on the third mutant hand all Brazilians have due to pollution, Zika and having to hold an extra wallet to pay off police officers, it's also one of those things that are much worse for locals than for the event itself. They're reporting the pollution levels are under control where the events will happen and there's a concentrated effort to clean up garbage, so chances are everything is gonna run fine.

It's kinda how I see the entire thing, really. Preparing for the events revealed all of our infrastructural issues, and we're gonna have to foot the bill, but if you're expecting a complete shitfest DURING the Games, I don't think you're getting much, unfortunately. Maybe someone will trip during the opening ceremony, or a journalist will get mugged. Hell, I think most Brazilians are also hungry for a blowup, so I'm not even doing this out of "national pride". I just think some poo poo's overblown for its impact on the event itself, even when they're legitimate issues. Might be sounding like Michael Jackson here, but what can I say.

I just hope no one explodes anything because the last thing we need is to boost the right-wing conservative semi-legitimate government we have going.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dias posted:

That's the one major fuckup in the organization, I have no idea why they didn't move the competition if the water is THAT bad like every foreign media organization is reporting. However, on the third mutant hand all Brazilians have due to pollution, Zika and having to hold an extra wallet to pay off police officers, it's also one of those things that are much worse for locals than for the event itself. They're reporting the pollution levels are under control where the events will happen and there's a concentrated effort to clean up garbage, so chances are everything is gonna run fine.
How do you clean up pollution levels like that, on a rapid (but temporary) basis? Does Brazil have a giant toilet cistern ready to flush all the water away?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

A Buttery Pastry posted:

How do you clean up pollution levels like that, on a rapid (but temporary) basis? Does Brazil have a giant toilet cistern ready to flush all the water away?

Beats me, I know poo poo all about water purification systems. What I know is they've been doing some localized cleaning efforts and "ecobarriers" to stop more garbage coming in, they probably stopped any raw sewage flow nearby and according to a big dick water dude, a dry weather spell plus the spot they chose for the event helps in minimizing pollution levels. Apparently all that means the water where the events will be held is passable. It doesn't help the rest of the bay at all, of course, but as I said, the theme here is keeping stuff just good enough so the event runs okay. We won't deal with the rest later.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
A gentle reminder that swimming is a drug corrupt den

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/aug/04/poison-pool-swimming-scandal-trust-rio-2016-olympics-fina

Memories of the last olympics and HGH teenagers flood back

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dias posted:

It's kinda how I see the entire thing, really. Preparing for the events revealed all of our infrastructural issues, and we're gonna have to foot the bill, but if you're expecting a complete shitfest DURING the Games, I don't think you're getting much, unfortunately. Maybe someone will trip during the opening ceremony, or a journalist will get mugged. Hell, I think most Brazilians are also hungry for a blowup, so I'm not even doing this out of "national pride". I just think some poo poo's overblown for its impact on the event itself, even when they're legitimate issues. Might be sounding like Michael Jackson here, but what can I say.

I dont know, perhaps it seems overblow to us because we are just so used to it. Its been slowly getting worst and worst for decades (the pollution, the corruption, the violence, everything) but its hard for us to see, its the normality for us.

Now we are seeing our "cidade maravilhosa" through the eyes of the world and it really looks awful, a huge dirty dangerous ugly mess. Hosting the olympic games was a terrible idea, but I think this shock of reality might do us some good

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

I dont know, perhaps it seems overblow to us because we are just so used to it. Its been slowly getting worst and worst for decades (the pollution, the corruption, the violence, everything) but its hard for us to see, its the normality for us.

The Olympic village built for the Helsinki 1952 Olympics are still today used as an university campus student housing, with only some renovations to modernize the buildings between then and now.

The Olympic village of Rio is falling apart even before the games start, and that is in cases where they actually bothered to complete the building work.

Edit: And during the 10 years preceding the Olympics, Finland had its teeth kicked in a war with Soviet Union twice.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 4, 2016

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/afp/status/761226289625833472

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Dias posted:

Have you been living under a rock or something? Not even the ioc is this optimistic anymore, for reasons obvious to anyone paying attention.

Like I feel the post had to be a time warp from a year ago when it was actually still possible to fix things in time. They literally don't even have security yet. To think things are overblown belies a complete ignorance to stuff that is actually happening.

tsa fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 4, 2016

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

Now we are seeing our "cidade maravilhosa" through the eyes of the world and it really looks awful, a huge dirty dangerous ugly mess. Hosting the olympic games was a terrible idea, but I think this shock of reality might do us some good

If it makes you feel better, I was born and raised in Brazil and I always thought that Rio is an awful, dirty mess, even before I moved to the US.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Alright, lemme take a couple of steps back to see if I can explain my points better.

I think SOME of the narratives are overblown by the media while their impact on the Games is minimal. Zika being the main one, of course. It's a trace-level thing right now and I don't think any Brazilian would rate it in the top 10 issues we're facing right now (don't you guys find it even a bit fascinating that the wild disease line got so much traction in international media, by the way?). Guanabara might be another one if the news about water conditions where the event is happening are legitimate. Now, everything about the preparations for the Games was a fuckin' mess, that's undeniable, and it should be under the scrutiny of international eyes. Hell, it might even do us a favor and reveal to the world how the reason why everything's always delayed and incomplete is because construction firms here get to be the most corrupt entities ever, outside dystopic fiction ones and even then it's arguable. However, I do believe poo poo's gonna run well enough when push comes to shove, so expecting some amazing blowup is a bit too hopeful. We did land on the bare minimum requisites for stuff to work, after all. It's not gonna be fantastic and all the "makeup" Rio got is gonna flake as soon as the last gringo steps out of the city, but I doubt we'll see major problems. I mean, I don't think the fuckin' Maracanã stadium is gonna collapse during the opening ceremony, that's for sure.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Nah, we always knew Rio was a trashfire, don't fool yourself on that one. Hell, it might even have improved this last decade in some aspects. You're right that hosting the Games was a terrible idea, though, not because of international scrutiny, but because we all know the song and dance: promise perfect, impossible infrastructure; overprice EVERYTHING during construction, delay it as much as possible; deliver the bare minimum, stuff "pra inglês ver"; let all of the cardboard fall away after they leave and let us foot the bill. We shouldn't have, although I'm pretty sure we will be able to run it, in terms.

gently caress, there's some bus stop/roadwork here that is STILL being done when it was supposed to be ready for the World Cup. It was "good enough" two years ago, then they decided to reinforce the roads and well...

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dias posted:

Alright, lemme take a couple of steps back to see if I can explain my points better.

I think SOME of the narratives are overblown by the media while their impact on the Games is minimal. Zika being the main one, of course. It's a trace-level thing right now and I don't think any Brazilian would rate it in the top 10 issues we're facing right now (don't you guys find it even a bit fascinating that the wild disease line got so much traction in international media, by the way?). Guanabara might be another one if the news about water conditions where the event is happening are legitimate. Now, everything about the preparations for the Games was a fuckin' mess, that's undeniable, and it should be under the scrutiny of international eyes. Hell, it might even do us a favor and reveal to the world how the reason why everything's always delayed and incomplete is because construction firms here get to be the most corrupt entities ever, outside dystopic fiction ones and even then it's arguable. However, I do believe poo poo's gonna run well enough when push comes to shove, so expecting some amazing blowup is a bit too hopeful. We did land on the bare minimum requisites for stuff to work, after all. It's not gonna be fantastic and all the "makeup" Rio got is gonna flake as soon as the last gringo steps out of the city, but I doubt we'll see major problems. I mean, I don't think the fuckin' Maracanã stadium is gonna collapse during the opening ceremony, that's for sure.

Nah, we always knew Rio was a trashfire, don't fool yourself on that one. Hell, it might even have improved this last decade in some aspects. You're right that hosting the Games was a terrible idea, though, not because of international scrutiny, but because we all know the song and dance: promise perfect, impossible infrastructure; overprice EVERYTHING during construction, delay it as much as possible; deliver the bare minimum, stuff "pra inglês ver"; let all of the cardboard fall away after they leave and let us foot the bill. We shouldn't have, although I'm pretty sure we will be able to run it, in terms.

gently caress, there's some bus stop/roadwork here that is STILL being done when it was supposed to be ready for the World Cup. It was "good enough" two years ago, then they decided to reinforce the roads and well...

I dont know, I know many people from Rio that still think its one of the most beautiful and amazing cities in the world. And yeah, we all know its bad, but it is still interesting to see how bad does it looks from the outside

And when I say it was a bad idea, it because of those reasons you listed but also because all this worldwide attention burned whatever good rep the city could still have aboard, and it still a city that depends a lot on tourism

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 4, 2016

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Elias_Maluco posted:

and it still a city that depends a lot on tourism

I wonder if it still will be when this is over. I'm curious how host cities from previous Olympics fared in the tourism department months/years/decades after the games. Anyone know offhand of interesting successes/failures?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I wouldn't be surprised if Athens and Turin failed (and Berlin for "certain non-Olympic-related reasons") but really, pretty much every other city has been successful in raising its profile as a neat place to visit. Even Sochi should have had some success, if only because no-one from outside of the former Soviet Union was going there beforehand.

A big thing to remember is that these games were awarded back in, what, 2009, when Brazil still looked like it had a bright economic future in the near term. The idea of having the Olympics in Rio was not laughable when the decision was made.

On the other hand I also feel like these recent games are being set up for failure with the IOC prioritizing flashy bullshit projects over cheaper, more mundane and more useful types of building. If it really was building a bunch of apartments and a swimming pool then Rio should have had no problems succeeding. But then you throw all this other poo poo on top of it and its a recipe for disaster. They like to talk about "the Olympic movement" or "the Olympic spirit" but the truth of the matter is that if you look at the first few modern games they were nothing like this poo poo. There's probably no group more un-Olympian on earth than the IOC with its egotism and tacky building projects.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
A Russian diplomat has shot and killed a Brazilian who attempted to rob him in Rio de Janeiro on the eve of the Olympics, local media reported on Thursday.

According to the Globo newspaper, the vice counsul – named in reports as Marcos Cesar Feres Braga, a Brazilian lawyer who holds the vice-consul post at the Russian consulate – grappled with an assailant who tried to carjack his vehicle, believed to be a BMW X6.

The diplomat was waiting in traffic in his car with his wife and daughter when he was approached by two men, each on a motorcycle, Globo reported.

One suspect broke the driver’s window with the gun and demanded the the consul’s watch. But the Russian, who is trained in jiu-jitsu, grabbed the attacker, hauled him into the car and the attacker was killed with his gun. The other motorcyclist fled.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Well, I guess the Russians ARE making a positive impact at the games this time.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lucky the dude didn't unload the pistol into the wife as he got yanked into the car

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Lid posted:

A Russian diplomat has shot and killed a Brazilian who attempted to rob him in Rio de Janeiro on the eve of the Olympics, local media reported on Thursday.

According to the Globo newspaper, the vice counsul – named in reports as Marcos Cesar Feres Braga, a Brazilian lawyer who holds the vice-consul post at the Russian consulate – grappled with an assailant who tried to carjack his vehicle, believed to be a BMW X6.

The diplomat was waiting in traffic in his car with his wife and daughter when he was approached by two men, each on a motorcycle, Globo reported.

One suspect broke the driver’s window with the gun and demanded the the consul’s watch. But the Russian, who is trained in jiu-jitsu, grabbed the attacker, hauled him into the car and the attacker was killed with his gun. The other motorcyclist fled.

I don't like violence. I don't like guns. I'm sad that someone got threatened at gunpoint and that someone died. If you get robbed, it's stupid to fight back considering the possible consequences.

But this is both hilarious and badass. "You want this car? Sure :getin: "

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Lid posted:

And apparently he's not even a Russian diplomat, just some random dude. I like that the police didn't even bother to try to verify his story.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/04/americas/russian-diplomat-brazil-robbery/

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Two Australian Olympic rowing coaches have been robbed at knifepoint while walking to their hotel in Rio de Janeiro.

They then had their citizenship cancelled for not knowing how to play This is a knife.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Why does all the bad poo poo keeps happening to Australians? Not that they don't deserve it, but still pretty weird.

Xandu posted:

And apparently he's not even a Russian diplomat, just some random dude. I like that the police didn't even bother to try to verify his story.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/04/americas/russian-diplomat-brazil-robbery/

Maybe it was Putin and they're coving it up? Would match up with earlier reports of martial arts training.

CheetoRamen
Feb 1, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Two Australian Olympic rowing coaches have been robbed at knifepoint while walking to their hotel in Rio de Janeiro.

They then had their citizenship cancelled for not knowing how to play This is a knife.

It sounds like the robbers took it into account and started the game at machete size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
https://twitter.com/si_olympics/status/763209452426231808

• Locked thread