Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Cumslut1895 posted:

Is society responsible for Schizophrenic people believing in Lizard-man conspiracies?

well maybe if society weren't full of lizard-people the people with schizophrenia wouldn't see them everywhere

e: ugh, worst snype. Here, have a link: http://kernelmag.dailydot.com/issue-sections/headline-story/16932/usenet-sharon-lopatka-consensual-murder/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

well maybe if society weren't full of lizard-people the people with schizophrenia wouldn't see them everywhere

e: ugh, worst snype. Here, have a link: http://kernelmag.dailydot.com/issue-sections/headline-story/16932/usenet-sharon-lopatka-consensual-murder/

This is pro-click as all hell. I always forget how quickly the internet got so, so weird. Everything was already there right at the start.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Cumslut1895 posted:

Is society responsible for Schizophrenic people believing in Lizard-man conspiracies?

....I mean, sort of, yes? :v:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/brain/episode3/cultures/ posted:

Some cultural differences are also apparent in the kind of delusions that occur in schizophrenia patients. Often, the delusions tend to reflect the predominant themes and values of a person's culture. For example, in Ireland, where religious piety is highly valued, patients with schizophrenia often have delusions of sainthood. In industrially advanced countries like America, patients' delusions tend to focus on sinister uses of technology and surveillance. Patients may report that they are being spied on by their televisions or that they are being X-rayed when they walk down the street. In Japan, a country that prizes honor and social conformity, delusions often revolve around slander or the fear of being humiliated publicly. In Nigeria, where mental illness is believed to be caused by evil spirits, delusions may take the form of witches or ancestral ghosts.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Shady Amish Terror posted:

....I mean, sort of, yes? :v:

I'm pretty sure this guy has come up in this thread before, but it's fascinating to see what's the same and what's different in pre-modern cases of schizophrenia. Remote interference via technology is the same, only it's a loom that shoots noises at him because he didn't have radio or tv to draw on for his fantasy:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Tilly_Matthews

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Jack Gladney posted:

I'm pretty sure this guy has come up in this thread before, but it's fascinating to see what's the same and what's different in pre-modern cases of schizophrenia. Remote interference via technology is the same, only it's a loom that shoots noises at him because he didn't have radio or tv to draw on for his fantasy:

#ToxicWeaving #KillAllLooms

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Cumslut1895 posted:

#ToxicWeaving #KillAllLooms

#Illoominati

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
....have I missed it or has there been no resolution to the Australian Tornado tale? I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO THE DOG

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Abugadu posted:

#Illoominati

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I wonder if that air loom guy knew his delusion was a pun.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Rondette posted:

....have I missed it or has there been no resolution to the Australian Tornado tale?

No, we just write about MRAs in this thread now.

So, just like every thread in SA.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

Rondette posted:

....have I missed it or has there been no resolution to the Australian Tornado tale? I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO THE DOG

Also no Hurricane Andrew updates. I've been holding off on posting my personal stories with that because I don't want to potentially spoil anything in a better written post on the subject...

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Jack Gladney posted:

Tilly is a fascinating story. The guy draws vast complex machines that seem to have screens and control panels. But there's always part of his machine that he " can't see". Which is adorably a common motif in mental illness. And his delusions seem to be rooted in his real experiences in the the French Revolution.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Jack Gladney posted:

This isn't a very good post or discussion for this thread, but these are not binary options. Autism didn't make him a self-hating racist and it didn't tell him that women should die for not throwing themselves at him and thereby depriving him of the only experience that would make him a real and full man.

Hey hey there's no reason to fight. The Ultimate Gentleman was also the ultimate sad horrible piece of poo poo. He was generous enough to spend hundreds of pages documenting exactly how awful he was, with not even a single ounce of self awareness. There's so much text we can all draw our own conclusions and back them up with citations from primary sources. He can be an MRA and a turbosperg and a schizo at the same time. My money was on narcissistic personality disorder.

Somebody post that .gif of beavis in front of the tombstone. I'd post it myself but I'm phonepostin'

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

One More Fat Nerd posted:

He can be an MRA and a turbosperg and a schizo at the same time. My money was on narcissistic personality disorder.
Quoting for emphasis. When you have a mass shooting that is aimed only at women, and where the letters left behind explain the killer's animus toward women in particular (see also the École Polytechnique massacre, which deserves its own post), it can be both a piece of mental illness and an attack specifically on women, just as Sandy Hook was explicitly an attack on children.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Somebody post that .gif of beavis in front of the tombstone. I'd post it myself but I'm phonepostin'
Im also phoneposting it's way easy

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Quoting for emphasis. When you have a mass shooting that is aimed only at women, and where the letters left behind explain the killer's animus toward women in particular (see also the École Polytechnique massacre, which deserves its own post), it can be both a piece of mental illness and an attack specifically on women, just as Sandy Hook was explicitly an attack on children.

Its important to point out that just because a person has a mental illness, that's not at all the same thing as saying they aren't responsible for their actions. Some people get confused by that.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Let's not forget that Elliot Rodger also had a very small weak little penis.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

ahahaha

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
lol hapas

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Elliot Rodger having a small penis doesn't make me feel any better about his mental state and him killing people tbqh

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

Elliot Rodger having a small penis doesn't make me feel any better about his mental state and him killing people tbqh

Maybe not, but it's appropriate when discussing him to smear and denigrate his pathetic life completely and not skip any details

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

And for those of you who like long reads and investigative journalism, here is "Gone," a story in 9 parts, about Felix Vail:

Clarion Ledger posted:

“Gone” tells the story of Mississippi native Felix Vail and the people whose paths he crossed. Vail goes on trial Aug. 8 in Lake Charles, Louisiana — the oldest prosecution of a serial-killer suspect in U.S. history. Vail is charged in the 1962 death of his first wife, and authorities suspect he is connected to the disappearances of two other women.

I'll warn you up front that the interface is kind of aggravating, but it's worth it to read the story.

http://www.clarionledger.com/pages/interactives/gone/

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I've been listening to a podcast about murders lately and one of the episodes mentioned the death of Elisa Lam and that one was always pretty weird and spooky, I remember seeing the video and stuff on these forums when it happened. It seems likely that she suffered some kind of mental break but the weird coincidences in the case just seem shifty and it's likely it'll never get resolved.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jack Gladney posted:

Even his family members said that his confession video was the most they had ever heard him speak at one time in his entire life. He's the embodiment of male entitlement.

One thread from his weird autobiography was that he could never enjoy fiction or movies and just liked video games, but that he loved the Game of Thrones novels because there was a character he really related to but never named in his writing--just that he really related to this character in a way he had never related to anyone before. There was a lot of speculation over who he was talking about. Geoffrey? Ramsay? Littlefinger? There are so many possibilities, and the world will never know.

It was Sam, he related to the awkwardness around girls, his parents having a "normal" younger child that seemed capable of interacting with people. May Ol' Elliot should have joined the Foreign Legion or something. Sam killed a White Walker and eventually got laid, Elliot couldn't even break into a sorority.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

hmmm

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Jack Gladney posted:

And an artist built a model of the Air Loom based on Matthews' original design.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

And for those of you who like long reads and investigative journalism, here is "Gone," a story in 9 parts, about Felix Vail:

I'll warn you up front that the interface is kind of aggravating, but it's worth it to read the story.

http://www.clarionledger.com/pages/interactives/gone/

This is really good. And the interface is really bad. Each page opens in a new tab with an autoplay video, clicking outside the center of the screen closes the story, popups that have to be clicked on to close.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

RNG posted:

This is really good. And the interface is really bad. Each page opens in a new tab with an autoplay video, clicking outside the center of the screen closes the story, popups that have to be clicked on to close.

A very intriguing story; somewhat poorly written; presented in a pretty awful format.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
So, apparently it's been revealed in the past few years that the Soviet Union played a very large part in almost driving whales extinct.

https://psmag.com/the-most-senseless-environmental-crime-of-the-20th-century-9594972483d1#.ly56x9sei

Key bit here.

quote:

...It was also a perplexing one. Environmental crimes are, generally speaking, the most rational of crimes. The upsides are obvious: Fortunes have been made selling contraband rhino horns and mahogany or helping toxic waste disappear, and the risks are minimal — poaching, illegal logging, and dumping are penalized only weakly in most countries, when they’re penalized at all.
The Soviet whale slaughter followed no such logic. Unlike Norway and Japan, the other major whaling nations of the era, the Soviet Union had little real demand for whale products. Once the blubber was cut away for conversion into oil, the rest of the animal, as often as not, was left in the sea to rot or was thrown into a furnace and reduced to bone meal — a low-value material used for agricultural fertilizer, made from the few animal byproducts that slaughterhouses and fish canneries can’t put to more profitable use. “It was a good product,” Dmitri Tormosov, a scientist who worked on the Soviet fleets, wryly recalls, “but maybe not so important as to support a whole whaling industry.”
This was the riddle the Soviet ships left in their wake: Why did a country with so little use for whales kill so many of them?

The Soviet whalers, Berzin wrote, had been sent forth to kill whales for little reason other than to say they had killed them. They were motivated by an obligation to satisfy obscure line items in the five-year plans that drove the Soviet economy, which had been set with little regard for the Soviet Union’s actual demand for whale products. “Whalers knew that no matter what, the plan must be met!” Berzin wrote. The Sovetskaya Rossiya seemed to contain in microcosm everything Berzin believed to be wrong about the Soviet system: its irrationality, its brutality, its inclination toward crime.

Berzin contrasted the Soviet whalers with the Japanese, who are similarly thought to have caught whales off the books in the Antarctic (though in numbers, scientists believe, far short of the Soviets). The Japanese, motivated as they were by domestic demand for whale meat, were “at least understandable” in their actions, he wrote. “I should not say that as a scientist, but it is possible to understand the difference between a motivated and unmotivated crime.” Japanese whalers made use of 90 percent of the whales they hauled up the spillway; the Soviets, according to Berzin, used barely 30 percent. Crews would routinely return with whales that had been left to rot, “which could not be used for food. This was not regarded as a problem by anybody.”
This absurdity stemmed from an oversight deep in the bowels of the Soviet bureaucracy. Whaling, like every other industry in the Soviet Union, was governed by the dictates of the State Planning Committee of the Council of Ministers, a government organ tasked with meting out production targets. In the grand calculus of the country’s planned economy, whaling was considered a satellite of the fishing industry. This meant that the progress of the whaling fleets was measured by the same metric as the fishing fleets: gross product, principally the sheer mass of whales killed.
Whaling fleets that met or exceeded targets were rewarded handsomely, their triumphs celebrated in the Soviet press and the crews given large bonuses. But failure to meet targets came with harsh consequences. Captains would be demoted and crew members fired; reports to the fisheries ministry would sometimes identify responsible parties by name.
Soviet ships’ officers would have been familiar with the story of Aleksandr Dudnik, the captain of the Aleut, the only factory ship the Soviets owned before World War II. Dudnik was a celebrated pioneer in the Soviet whaling industry, and had received the Order of Lenin — the Communist Party’s highest honor — in 1936. The following year, however, his fleet failed to meet its production targets. When the Aleut fleet docked in Vladivostok in 1938, Dudnik was arrested by the secret police and thrown in jail, where he was interrogated on charges of being a Japanese agent. If his downfall was of a piece with the unique paranoia of the Stalin years, it was also an indelible reminder to captains in the decades that followed. As Berzin wrote, “The plan — at any price!”...

Nckdictator has a new favorite as of 23:15 on Aug 2, 2016

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
I saw this weird story on Facebook, went to Snopes because I was so sure it was fake, yet was disturbed to find out it's true: http://www.snopes.com/photos/odd/evilstick.asp

quote:

On 6 November 2014, a news source local to Dayton, Ohio, published a story about a princess wand toy called the "Evilstick." According to that news outlet, Dayton-area mom Nicole Allen had purchased a non-descript, pinkish-orange scepter-style wand for her two-year-old daughter.

Allen said she bought the toy at the $1.00 Store on Linden Avenue in Kettering, and when she unpackaged it, she found in contained a foil flower cutout that concealed a terrifying image of what appeared to be a young girl with red, glowing eyes and a large knife gesturing at slicing her wrist.

http://imgur.com/a/UA90S (because I can't figure out how to directly put imgur posts on the forums anymore)

quote:

The toy resembles typical dollar store off-brand merchandise, which is not infrequently unusual, foreign-made, poorly labeled, or otherwise different from non-discount merchandise found at larger retailers. Allen said she was angry when her son removed the foil to reveal the picture and added that the toy emits a menacing laugh, making it even scarier

This guy, who lives in the same area, went to the store and got one for himself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNd_EZCX1lw&t=120s

gus rules ok
Aug 2, 2016
So the Torajans in Indonesia mummify deceased family members and keep them around the house, sometimes for months: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2016/04/death-dying-grief-funeral-ceremony-corpse/

Having not grown up in this culture, I find the idea of corpses just hanging out all Mrs. Bates-like in my home to be very unnerving, although the article does list some advantages.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Sarcopenia posted:

The last time I saw this kind of conspiracy surrounding a teen youtube vlogger it was this girl who people insisted were being isolated and abused by her mother. The mom came of as weird and very overprotective but I just kind of thought that people were being creepy and over-reactionary. Checked up on her. She fled to Japan to be with a boyfriend to get away from her mother who proved to be just as manipulative and terrible as people had been speculating.

Would that happen to be the same person being talked about in this twitter thread?

https://twitter.com/Iron_Spike/status/756201461340594176

Because I read it but wasn't able to find more details with some (admittedly light) googling

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
This has been one of my fears. I have seen sinkholes form when I lived in florida, but what happens if your house is on one? Oh, and you don't know there is a mine shaft that goes "about 60 meters (196 ft) deep, but now they're expecting it to be 100 meters (328 ft) deep. "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx9L3qo-6eQ

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-02/ipswich-sinkhole-swallows-backyard-west-of-brisbane/7682332

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lime Tonics posted:

This has been one of my fears. I have seen sinkholes form when I lived in florida, but what happens if your house is on one? Oh, and you don't know there is a mine shaft that goes "about 60 meters (196 ft) deep, but now they're expecting it to be 100 meters (328 ft) deep. "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx9L3qo-6eQ

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-02/ipswich-sinkhole-swallows-backyard-west-of-brisbane/7682332

I'm still not sure I understand how this happens. Don't they fill the shafts back up? I mean they couldn't have thrown the dirt very far...

Or do they just cap it with a wooden ceiling and bury it?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Sarcopenia posted:

I feel kind of gross saying it as he's obviously very loving unattractive after the things he did and the person he was, but the guy was far from bad looking. Purely based on his looks he would probably have been a guy I'd drunkenly complimented for his amazing cheekbones... And he'd probably turn away in disgust because I'm a black lady. My brain just explodes.

This was my EXACT thought when this happened. Like, if he showed up at a party I would definitely have chatted him up, and he would have either ignored me because I'm black or become angry because how dare a mudblood even look in his direction.

Luigi's Discount Porn Bin
Jul 19, 2000

Oven Wrangler

FourLeaf posted:

Would that happen to be the same person being talked about in this twitter thread?

https://twitter.com/Iron_Spike/status/756201461340594176

Because I read it but wasn't able to find more details with some (admittedly light) googling
It seems like the twitter thread is referring to VenusAngelic. There's an ED article that seems to pretty much match (quick marriage, crazy mom, homeschooling, etc).

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Luigi's Discount Porn Bin posted:

It seems like the twitter thread is referring to VenusAngelic. There's an ED article that seems to pretty much match (quick marriage, crazy mom, homeschooling, etc).

Yeeees, that was the name!
It seems like the outcome was pretty good for her all things considered. Godspeed weird, weeaboo doll girl.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Mak0rz posted:

Or do they just cap it with a wooden ceiling and bury it?

Pretty much this, old railroad ties and just dump a bunch of dirt on it was the norm way back when. Now they are opening up all over, due to them flooding and the pressure build up is popping them open. It's happening in the UK too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yep. It takes a lot of effort to move tons of earth around, and it would be difficult and time-consuming to fill it back in, packing it down repeatedly so it's not just a soggy hole in a couple of years anyways. The quick and easy solution was (probably still is) to build just enough of a cap to support reasonable ground cover and fill it back over. As long as it looks alright, what's the harm, and who cares what happens twenty or thirty years down the line?

This is the same sort of creative thinking that gives you open-air chemical disposal pits, razor slots that left piles of used razors in crawlspaces under houses or between walls waiting for home renovation work to find, and entrepeneurs starting up landfills on forested lots before letting the forest take care of the final recovery of the refuse. In the case of mineshaft sinkholes the whole process is not really that surprising, but it does demonstrate 1) hindsight is 20/20 and 2) it is really important to have good, strong, well-enforced guidelines on best practices in virtually any professional field. Many of those shafts predate those concerns, in no small part because it's only relatively recently starting to become a problem.