Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
blasthole spear + deflector shield is basically everything you need for tight corridors as a fencer

blasthole pierces enemies so you can just walk up and shoot your rocket propelled dick down the center, killing everything in one glorious blow, and then hammer your deflector shield to make all the projectiles coming your way gently caress right the hell off.

then dash backward and do it all again.

the larger caverns are legit more of an issue, but i handle it just fine with blasthole + heavy cannon or blasthole + hand cannon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
Thanks to our Ranger finding a flame geyser immediately before the Erginus vs Balam mission, we developed an advanced version of HQ's plan to take it down.

Step 1: Shoot flame geysers at Balam.
Step 2: JUST PUNCH IT IN THE FACE!

https://giant.gfycat.com/EmbellishedGratefulAzurevasesponge.webm

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Sykic posted:

Thanks to our Ranger finding a flame geyser immediately before the Erginus vs Balam mission, we developed an advanced version of HQ's plan to take it down.

Vavel would be proud.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Coolguye posted:

blasthole spear + deflector shield is basically everything you need for tight corridors as a fencer

blasthole pierces enemies so you can just walk up and shoot your rocket propelled dick down the center, killing everything in one glorious blow, and then hammer your deflector shield to make all the projectiles coming your way gently caress right the hell off.

then dash backward and do it all again.

the larger caverns are legit more of an issue, but i handle it just fine with blasthole + heavy cannon or blasthole + hand cannon

Tight corridors are no problem but caverns are just hell. The last section of 30 is basically series of caverns and a massive wave of ants. The ants move faster and will eventually find a flank even if I dash straight back, and once I get grabbed once I lose orientation completely and it's just hosed. Finally lucked out with dual rapid fire spears with a sliver of health.

Things wouldn't be nearly as bad if I could actually see the room and where I am. Ants shooting at you from pitch blackness can just go gently caress off.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sykic posted:

That's not how you do Steiner Rules.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Finally found a use for helicopters. Ride one to land on the roof of a building that is out of range of GIANT IN-SECTS. Have a satellite aimed in the middle of a transport. Continue to fire laser while exploding the bugs. Hope that the laser is killing the transport. Reap dozens of boxes.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
I love seeing the ways that people have come up with to farm stuff - I found a group of 3 air raiders that were doing runs on mission 82 -Monster Party. Initially, I thought there made a mistake, since I've seen a lot of people farm the deroys on mission 81, and I guess they just forgot the reset the mission.

Anyway, I wanted some new gear for my fencer, so I tagged along. As soon as the map loads, they immediately peg it left to the edge of the map, where there's a bridge. They shove an APC and a tank in the small tunnel underneath, deploy a half dozen force fields on either end of the tunnel, then aggro the dragons with a web gun. The dragon AI, not being particularly brilliant, initiates it's death funnel of dozens of fire breathing dragons diving head first into the top of the bridge.

Then the airstrikes began. Constant, unending whale gunship batteries pointing at the one tiny spot on the bridge that the dragons insisted on ramming face first. I'd would occasionally pop my head out to fire a missile and aggro the next wave, but that was it! Once we had a few left, we'd mop up, web the last one and take the express train to loot city.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sykic posted:

EDF DOT loving GIF

I'd love to have 4 air raiders slap as many turrets on a Balaam as possible.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They can do that. Take a helicopter transport and land them on the shoulders.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
A balam threw me today
http://giant.gfycat.com/UnhappyRawCobra.webm

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That is basically my attempts at weapon grinding Crimson on Hardest, only with ants. Interesting fact: Ants can play catch with you.
Physics also go crazy when you are flying and land in a pile of corpses, then detonate your Limpets. I also ragdolled in a pile of ants for an entire minute, the whole time being swarmed by ants trying to murder me, only the corpses kept me alive and bent over.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Any way to easily swap between KB/M and controller yet? AIr Raider owns but helis suck with kb/m

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Robo Reagan posted:

Any way to easily swap between KB/M and controller yet? AIr Raider owns but helis suck with kb/m

KB/M is still active during controller play.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Not for me. Can only do one or the other

Anyway, is anyone interested in giving a hard runthrough a go? I keep hovering around 10-20 missions because there feels like a gap between that and the higher level missions and I don't have the gear to play the higher level ones I don't think.

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 4, 2016

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

Gabby_Jay posted:

Avoid using explosives as the enemy bodyparts have the uncanny ability to fall right in your face as soon as you hit the fire button.

I wish the fencer who decided to take dual heavy mortars in to Charge Phase 3 had known this. Half the team ended up dead while fighting the queen, not because of the massive sprays of acid but because 1800 damage 20 metre blast radius explosives with a firing delay inside a tunnel filled with flying IN-SECT bits are somewhat hazardous. They did use the 'I messed up.' chat command afterwards (only play on voice chat restricted servers) so I suppose the lesson was learned.

I find that higher level miniguns (FG8?) work quite well. With the 8 second reload you can hold down firing one into a tunnel entrance, and as it reaches around 80 shots left start firing the other while the first reloads and keep this sequence up as long as there are bugs remaining. Bear in mind that even if you stick yourself right up against the side wall of the tunnel, some people will be compelled to strafe in to the constant stream of shells you've been firing for the past 30 seconds and act all surprised when they're instantly knocked out and propelled down a tunnel by bullets.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

McKilligan posted:

I love seeing the ways that people have come up with to farm stuff
Funny enough, you could use that same spot in 2025 during an earlier mission where the AI friendlies were strong enough to kill everything so long as you stayed alive. The only tricky part was killing your allies while there was only a couple enemies left.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HolyKrap posted:

This table's a little easier
http://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?p=5683295&sid=dddcd00a1ae858e0f8a222fa8b4767de

You can set your armor values in the lobby rather than playing through a mission.

Also, here's what happens when you get out of the depth crawler while on a cave ceiling
http://giant.gfycat.com/ActiveQuarrelsomeBlackcrappie.webm

How do you use this? It's making an error noise whenever I click stuff.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

HolyKrap posted:

A balam threw me today

You shouldn't have been sunbathing on its beach.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
:EDF: Patch :EDF:
-Fixed fonts problem except for DPI 100%
-Fixed an issue with AMD Phenom II (non-SSE4.1 CPUs)
-Fixed an issue the get stuck with "Yes/No"
-Fixed an issue cannot change full screen
-Fixed an issue the get stuck with "Yes/No"
Update -Remove the region locked on coop

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

E D F
D ! !
F ! !

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hit me with some basic gameplay tomfoolery webms

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I feel like a goddamned action hero playing early game Hard with my Ranger alongside fresh faced lower health players. "Oh no, everyone is dead! Well, better get reviving then." *Has scaled down to nearly 2k health on a team full of 300 health air raiders and 800 health Fencers*

I hate being "support" but I love playing Wingman, if that makes any sense. Though in the end, I was drat glad for my high cycle Reverser on the rando team I was with's 5th try on "A Trap" (Fuckin spiders! :argh:). Multiple fencers even attempting to reflect webs between attacks only does so much when surrounded on all sides.

Giant robots was a downright therapeutic cakewalk after, particularly as that's when lv 31 items uncap, letting me pick up Cascade 2 :krad: Two fencers cleaning up one side, me and another ranger cleaning up the other side, and not a single player casualty :clint:

I never gave cascade a fair shake in 2025. Now it's one of my favorite things for how versatile it is, and also means less sudden friendly fire risk when latency warping fencers are zipping back and forth, and a better safety margin if a corpse suddenly lands in front of you. (Volcano B10 may to a ton more damage, but it's such a bitch to lead moving targets with due to the launch delay)

Fake Edit: Also, there being a patch out while I was playing probably explained why there were only 3 rooms :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 4, 2016

McGrady
Jun 27, 2003

The greatest lurker of all the lower class lurkers.
College Slice

HolyKrap posted:

A balam threw me today

Ha, I was hosting that game. I was wondering why your body went flying a million miles away suddenly! I think that was the game I ended up finishing off everything in a low level Balam because the other one died. I run Crab Hunters (crimson, inferno) most evenings if anyone wants to join in!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Are people actually playing enough to get that kind of health, or is everyone using cheat engine? Having fun in the game but I'd like to do coop and not die all the time.

e: in general, I don't like to cheat and have no problem farming, but I only seem to get ~20 armor pickups every mission

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Are people actually playing enough to get that kind of health, or is everyone using cheat engine? Having fun in the game but I'd like to do coop and not die all the time.

e: in general, I don't like to cheat and have no problem farming, but I only seem to get ~20 armor pickups every mission

Well, in my case I was already well on my way to 2k health on Ranger legit while screwing around Normal/Hard, due to not really splitting the difference in class usage. Fighting the dockyard full of Deroys, and Argo on the beach isn't really that rough a time with on par weaponry+health if you are just there to sweep for boxes, even if there are likely more efficient farms for solo armor, it's in the endgame so most of the last toys are on the table by that point compared to farming crimson or brute force.

After clearing the mission list Solo Hard, I finally installed cheat engine and consulted drop tables intending to finish off the Hard mode drops and round myself out with a bit of extra health, and turns out I had already legit obtained every Ranger Hard mode drop except some stray mission #89 only things :shepface:

Then I gave Wing diver 400 health total straight off because ahahahahaha 0.24 per box :shepicide:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 4, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

McGrady posted:

Ha, I was hosting that game. I was wondering why your body went flying a million miles away suddenly! I think that was the game I ended up finishing off everything in a low level Balam because the other one died. I run Crab Hunters (crimson, inferno) most evenings if anyone wants to join in!
Those red ant fuckers can take two Limpet sniper shots to the head and live. I hope to be able to join tonight/tomorrow for weapon grinding.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 4, 2016

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

drat Dirty Ape posted:

There's a mission that drops 100-300 armor boxes a run if you want to grind. Plus now that there's no region lock you can leech off of insane japanese no lifers who are grinding nonstop

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Goddamn, they weren't joking when they said fencers have a high skill ceiling, they're hard as hell to figure out. So far, what I've learned:

Always have 1 melee weapon/shield so you can dodge cancel and actually move around. I've seen people moving faster while simultaneously shooting spears everywhere and have no idea what that's about. On that note...

Melee weapons sound awesome, but you'd better be pretty loving dextrous if you want to use them and move/block simultaneously. You'll be using 3/4 shoulder buttons/triggers at any given time.

Still no idea how to block projectiles - I guess that dodge cancel thing does it? Seems not particularly useful since if one thing is shooting at you, there's a pretty good chance that a hundred others are as well, and from all different directions.

Having 4 weapons is nice, but all of the heavy hitters leave you completely immobile, and all the crazy missile poo poo requires co op with an air raider, so good luck. Still, the gatling guns are fun as hell to use akimbo.

And don't bother letting people farm high level weapons for you - you're useless without the hp pool to back it up, so either cheat engine or start farming.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

McKilligan posted:

Always have 1 melee weapon/shield so you can dodge cancel and actually move around. I've seen people moving faster while simultaneously shooting spears everywhere and have no idea what that's about.

The spears are a Javelin Catapult. The first one is level 14 I think? As a weapon they're much stronger in pairs, but one Catapult + melee gives you a quicker and easier dash-cancel than shields.

quote:

On that note...Melee weapons sound awesome, but you'd better be pretty loving dextrous if you want to use them and move/block simultaneously. You'll be using 3/4 shoulder buttons/triggers at any given time.

You take less damage while charging up a hammer strike, which can help a bit.

quote:

Still no idea how to block projectiles - I guess that dodge cancel thing does it? Seems not particularly useful since if one thing is shooting at you, there's a pretty good chance that a hundred others are as well, and from all different directions.

The shield's dash-cancel is their reflect, yes. If you're already jumping around, shots from behind are less of a problem.

What do Fencers get that's good for shooting down transports, especially from a distance? Their heavy cannons aren't accurate enough. Is it better to just dash in and shoot them from below?

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 4, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

McKilligan posted:

Goddamn, they weren't joking when they said fencers have a high skill ceiling, they're hard as hell to figure out. So far, what I've learned:

Always have 1 melee weapon/shield so you can dodge cancel and actually move around. I've seen people moving faster while simultaneously shooting spears everywhere and have no idea what that's about. On that note...

Melee weapons sound awesome, but you'd better be pretty loving dextrous if you want to use them and move/block simultaneously. You'll be using 3/4 shoulder buttons/triggers at any given time.

Having 4 weapons is nice, but all of the heavy hitters leave you completely immobile, and all the crazy missile poo poo requires co op with an air raider, so good luck. Still, the gatling guns are fun as hell to use akimbo.

And don't bother letting people farm high level weapons for you - you're useless without the hp pool to back it up, so either cheat engine or start farming.
If you aren't moving around killing things like in Metal Wolf Chaos, you aren't really dodge canceling, which severely limits the weapon selection.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Really Pants posted:

The spears are a Javelin Catapult. The first one is level 14 I think? As a weapon they're much stronger in pairs, but one Catapult + melee gives you a quicker and easier dash-cancel than shields.

You take less damage while charging up a hammer strike, which can help a bit.

The shield's dash-cancel is their reflect, yes. If you're already jumping around, shots from behind are less of a problem.

What do Fencers get that's good for shooting down transports, especially from a distance? Their heavy cannons aren't accurate enough. Is it better to just dash in and shoot them from below?

Yeah, if you're having difficulty placing shots from the heavy guns, your only real option is to equip a Gallic light cannon and get underneath it, since Gatlings don't have the range a lot of the time. I haven't had too much difficulty with the NC line cannons though.

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi

Really Pants posted:

The heavy cannons are your only real option for long range attack, just use whichever has the straightest ballistic arc. Dual wield them to negate their recovery animation. If the transports are closer to the ground then dashing up to them with a blasthole spear is good, since the second shot has a ludicrous range and damage value. Other than that, there's not much else that has enough range and doesn't root you to the ground.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Robo Reagan posted:

Not for me. Can only do one or the other

Anyway, is anyone interested in giving a hard runthrough a go? I keep hovering around 10-20 missions because there feels like a gap between that and the higher level missions and I don't have the gear to play the higher level ones I don't think.

I'd be up for this. Hit me up whenever, I'm 30-foot Dogbot.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

McKilligan posted:

The javelin catapult + spear combo will have you zooming around the battlefield quicker than a wing raider (R1 L2 R1 L2 etc). The animation cancel works with lots of other stuff, it's just really fast with the catapult. I usually have a loadout with that combo + a mixture of stuff depending on the mission (lock-on missiles for air stuff, mortars for blowing up nests, heavy cannons for general use, etc).

I guess I just need to keep progressing through missions to find the good farm ones for armor. Any recommendations? I think I've played 30 missions or so.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
anything with an insect nest that spawns black ants is as good as you're gonna get. just stand on the nest with a flamethrower and point up, on normal/easy.

tape down the button and open a book until you can't stand it anymore.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

McKilligan posted:

I love seeing the ways that people have come up with to farm stuff - I found a group of 3 air raiders that were doing runs on mission 82 -Monster Party. Initially, I thought there made a mistake, since I've seen a lot of people farm the deroys on mission 81, and I guess they just forgot the reset the mission.

Anyway, I wanted some new gear for my fencer, so I tagged along. As soon as the map loads, they immediately peg it left to the edge of the map, where there's a bridge. They shove an APC and a tank in the small tunnel underneath, deploy a half dozen force fields on either end of the tunnel, then aggro the dragons with a web gun. The dragon AI, not being particularly brilliant, initiates it's death funnel of dozens of fire breathing dragons diving head first into the top of the bridge.

Then the airstrikes began. Constant, unending whale gunship batteries pointing at the one tiny spot on the bridge that the dragons insisted on ramming face first. I'd would occasionally pop my head out to fire a missile and aggro the next wave, but that was it! Once we had a few left, we'd mop up, web the last one and take the express train to loot city.

Force fields are pretty magical in this game tbh. imo Air Raider is either a wet noodle or an unkillable god depending on how you built for the mission.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

drat Dirty Ape posted:

The javelin catapult + spear combo will have you zooming around the battlefield quicker than a wing raider (R1 L2 R1 L2 etc). The animation cancel works with lots of other stuff, it's just really fast with the catapult. I usually have a loadout with that combo + a mixture of stuff depending on the mission (lock-on missiles for air stuff, mortars for blowing up nests, heavy cannons for general use, etc).

I guess I just need to keep progressing through missions to find the good farm ones for armor. Any recommendations? I think I've played 30 missions or so.

Just save yourself time, Cheat Engine the armor instead. Grinding up to Hardest and Inferno levels of armor is a complete chore even if you take the same class through every level on Normal and then Hard difficulties.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

SilverMike posted:

Just save yourself time, Cheat Engine the armor instead. Grinding up to Hardest and Inferno levels of armor is a complete chore even if you take the same class through every level on Normal and then Hard difficulties.

This. I see people online with 20,000 armor - you won't stand out bumping yours up to 2k/4k.

Be sure you do the max armor value, if you just do current your character will still think they have 200 armor and you won't get the achievement.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
An achievement for having armor? Sounds like fun for all the classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ok, so the cheat engine I should be downloading is from the first thing in google? No malware or anything like that?