Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

omegaflash4
Jan 18, 2015
My apologies. I normally use them for convenience sake, thank you for the welcome!

omegaflash4 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

WarpedNaba posted:

Pleasure.

I would thank you to keep the anime emoticons to a minimum. Otherwise, welcome abroad.

omegaflash4 posted:

My apologies. I normally use them for convenience sake, thank you for the welcome!
:lol:

Anyone have any good news/recent work they'd like to share? Still waiting on a few gigs so I've been pretty much in limbo.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Friend of a friend invited me to audition for a Steam VN, paying gig. Haven't heard anything back so I guess they got someone with an American accent.

Otherwise, pretty quiet. Manning's not got anything going for a bit.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
Uh holy crap I was just nominated one of the best four voiceover teachers in NY in this year's Backstage Readers' Choice Awards

http://www.backstage.com/news/backstage-2016-readers-choice-award-nominees-announced/

Voting for the final round opens on Monday--I'll post again then, and I hope I can count on some of you guys for your support. :)

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

blinkeve1826 posted:

Uh holy crap I was just nominated one of the best four voiceover teachers in NY in this year's Backstage Readers' Choice Awards

http://www.backstage.com/news/backstage-2016-readers-choice-award-nominees-announced/

Voting for the final round opens on Monday--I'll post again then, and I hope I can count on some of you guys for your support. :)
Ha congrats! Definitely post again when it's time to vote, I got your back (even though I hate being directed and seriously score some opportunities outside of NY local COME ON MEL)

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jul 20, 2016

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I wasn't super happy with my VO in this, but I've been getting a lot of compliment on it. Any notes? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CK-VbToD0eM

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Here's a good question that has probably already been covered over the many pages in this thread.

How do you determine what to charge clients? I have a terrible track record of just not knowing what to ask for when people want my rate. I also have a terrible track record of asking for what I think is reasonable and being treated like I asked for a reach around.

So, how do you know what to charge & what resources do you quote when challenged?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I go by the going rates of more regular voice artists.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

WarpedNaba posted:

I go by the going rates of more regular voice artists.

But where do you find those?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

*cough*

Let's say my PMs saw regular use and leave it at that.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I recently paid a known actor to say dumb poo poo and we went directly off this but he was kind enough to give me perpetual rights after one session fee.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

:frogsiren: I FINALLY MADE A VIDEO DEMO REEL :frogsiren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFp6xWd6eko

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

Before this gets more views and you're more reticent to do so, chop it up into a 1- to 1.5-minute VO reel and an on-camera reel of similar length. I can't think of a single scenario, from a casting point of view (for both OC and VO), in which I'd ever want to see the two in the same reel. You will almost always be asked for them separately.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
Oh!! Voting is now open! I'm one of the top four nominees for Best Voiceover Teacher in New York--let's work some goon support magic on this thing :) Please vote for me here! http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/2875365/Backstage-Readers-Choice-2016-Finalists

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

So I've managed to land myself a part with a fairly notorious internet production, but I need to sound 'younger'. I'm not sure how, besides punching myself in the nuts or inhaling helium. Ideas?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

So I've managed to land myself a part with a fairly notorious internet production, but I need to sound 'younger'. I'm not sure how, besides punching myself in the nuts or inhaling helium. Ideas?
Only thing I can think of is heightening the pitch in post but it'll probably sound retarded.

blinkeve1826 posted:

Before this gets more views and you're more reticent to do so, chop it up into a 1- to 1.5-minute VO reel and an on-camera reel of similar length. I can't think of a single scenario, from a casting point of view (for both OC and VO), in which I'd ever want to see the two in the same reel. You will almost always be asked for them separately.
Thanks for the input. It won't be my last demo ever so I'll split it up for the next one. Figured I'd put the acting stuff on the back-end because 1. I loathe on-camera acting and it's not as important to me or whoever I'm contacting as much as my voicework is & 2. It's easy to chop off if I want to.

EDIT: Oh and I voted for ya; good luck!

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

The producer for the audioplay I'm in finally got back to me with the raw audio tracks, so I managed to put together a demo reel. Go me.

Name: sithwitch13

Specialties: Mid-range women's voices, children, old "Witch Hazel" women's voices, screechy-hissy creature voices, accents, screaming/crying, and narration.

Tindeck: http://tindeck.com/users/lawisnie

IMDB/Portfolio: https://lawofalltrades.wordpress.com/voice/

Payment: Paypal is great.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
I'm quite proud of this.

http://bit.ly/HowToPokemonGO

(Written and animated by NYC animator Oponok. I voice Hilda.)

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
So I've got a short (three minute) animation project I am working on with a friend. It has five characters with about 15 lines of dialogue between them. It boils down to being a Shark Tank parody and I'll link the script here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzs3xnOrQ-mBUnkxSVRISEFnbnM/view?usp=sharing

So now that you've read the thing, would any of you be interested in voicing Barbara, Lori, Robert or Mark Cuban? PM me for a cool time.

EDIT: Also if anyone does a great Kevin O'Leary impression I wouldn't turn you away. I was going to do it myself, but my version is a sniveling caricature, bordering on offensive Jew voice and I might prefer something more authentic.

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 20, 2016

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
What was that website that allowed no-budget/student animators to cast free voice talent?

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
You looking for this one?

http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/casting-call/

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
Bought the plane ticket to LA today. The plan just forms itself after that, right?

On a less anxiety-ridden note, a sample from the first demo produced by my demo production team...mine! http://bit.ly/LTMDemoClip

I've been so overdue for a new commercial demo for so long and I wasn't finding a satisfactory intersection between price tag and quality...so finally I just added a demo production leg to my VO training offerings and decided to get a rock solid team together to do it myself. I've been getting sooooooo many requests to produce people's demos, but have been refusing for years as I didn't have the team or the experience that I thought would do such an investment justice. Or the right clients--we technically started back in like January but I haven't approved anyone who's requested one yet, since no one's been ready (in other words, able to back up what we produce with what they can do in the booth for agents, CDs, auditions, etc). Well, now I have both the team and the expertise--and clients who are finally ready!

We're using my new demo as testing grounds, and I'm quite pleased with the results so far. I had my main commercial VO instructor choose my copy and direct my session, and he did an awesome job! The prospect of finally having a demo I'm completely happy with is so relieving. I had the same experience with finally-awesome headshots last year and it was after that that I booked the big Hollywood feature and the Netflix series soooooooooo let's hope this has similar effects. It's all in post-production now, and once it's complete (within the next 2-3 weeks), we'll officially start accepting clients (and I start shopping this puppy around to agents). Eeeee so excited!!

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Good luck! Safe travels.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
Thanks man! I'm leaving October 10th, with about a month left in NYC. I'll probably have a going-away party (or two); hopefully you'll be able to make it. :)

Oh!!! Relevant to many people reading this thread!! I got so worn down by all of the requests I get for tips on getting started that I put together a free beginner's guide that answers the questions I get most often. You can read it here: Free voice acting beginner's guide: Melanie's Guide To Getting Started

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

blinkeve1826 posted:

Oh!!! Relevant to many people reading this thread!! I got so worn down by all of the requests I get for tips on getting started that I put together a free beginner's guide that answers the questions I get most often. You can read it here: Free voice acting beginner's guide: Melanie's Guide To Getting Started
This is great.

Good luck in LA! I'll shoot a heads up if I'm ever in the area; have a bunch of friends out there I've been meaning to visit.

Anybody have any fun recent projects?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

The Joe Man posted:

This is great.

Good luck in LA! I'll shoot a heads up if I'm ever in the area; have a bunch of friends out there I've been meaning to visit.

It's not specifically voice acting but I got the role of Gomez in my community theater production of The Addams Family Musical, we open around Halloween. A guy from the Armed Forces Network came around looking for actors to voice spots on AFN radio, so I might get involved in that.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

The Joe Man posted:

Been editing down an audio drama of adaptations of a few Lovecraft stories a bunch of my friends put on. That's been a lot of fun. I'd totally spend everyday just twiddling little things to make people sound good if I could. I'll get a share of sales on this, but I doubt there will be many people buying, but hell still feels great.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

The Joe Man posted:

I started my Youtube channel to A. Practice VO and B. Talk about cartoons: https://www.youtube.com/cartoons101

It's going pretty well. I was on the AV Club.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

I've been volunteering with our local community theater and recorded some music and the opening pre-show announcement for them. The director of the next play liked it so much she asked for me to update it for her show.

I may be updating it again for a third show I'll be helping out with in a month or so. Hahah.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

JossiRossi posted:

Been editing down an audio drama of adaptations of a few Lovecraft stories a bunch of my friends put on. That's been a lot of fun. I'd totally spend everyday just twiddling little things to make people sound good if I could. I'll get a share of sales on this, but I doubt there will be many people buying, but hell still feels great.

When this is done I'd love to get a link. You can send me a PM if you want to keep things less public.

Lovecraft's stuff is a pain in the rear end to read but it's fun to listen to because of all the purple prose. I have had a lot of fun making my own versions of his stories and it's fun to hear other people's take on them.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

CuddleChunks posted:

When this is done I'd love to get a link. You can send me a PM if you want to keep things less public.

Lovecraft's stuff is a pain in the rear end to read but it's fun to listen to because of all the purple prose. I have had a lot of fun making my own versions of his stories and it's fun to hear other people's take on them.

I think something can be arranged on the sly :) I'll toss a link in here to the production when it is done, but if anyone in the thread can't afford it "there are ways".

One of the stories the acting in it is so over the top it's an absolute riot. The others are a little subdued and then things get cranked up to like 12, it's amazing.

You should link up your versions as well!

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

If anyone is interested this is a pre-release version of a public sample for H.P. Lovecraft's Unnameable Tales that the theater group I am working with will put out as a teaser for a couple Halloween shows coming up and for the full version of the audio drama. This is the first big audio drama project I've worked on in a while, I'm happy enough with it, but more importantly the director's response has been really positive. The whole project will be around 1.5 hours. This sample is just shy of 20 minutes. I hope that people enjoy it if they get a chance to listen.

Get it here!

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

"100ft Robot Golf's" Oct 10th release slipped through my radar:

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
A demo of the game in which I voice lead female protagonist Vella Wilde, YIIK, is now available to play on PS4 demo kiosks across the country (and in Canada and Latin America, I believe) at Target, Best Buy, GameStop and Toys 'R' Us! If you poke around the demo a bit and get to "Wind Town", you get to hear a good chunk of my dialogue :)

Also SoCal is the best and it only took me like two or three days to decide I'm never moving back to New York ever (and that's because I was jetlagged).

However: I flew out here last Monday. On Tuesday I found out that I booked a role in a film that has me shooting for three weeks...in upstate NY. Womp womp.

Moral of the story: If you want to book stuff in a city, fly as far across the country from that city as you can and it will happen right away

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

blinkeve1826 posted:

A demo of the game in which I voice lead female protagonist Vella Wilde, YIIK, is now available to play on PS4 demo kiosks across the country (and in Canada and Latin America, I believe) at Target, Best Buy, GameStop and Toys 'R' Us! If you poke around the demo a bit and get to "Wind Town", you get to hear a good chunk of my dialogue :)

Also SoCal is the best and it only took me like two or three days to decide I'm never moving back to New York ever (and that's because I was jetlagged).

However: I flew out here last Monday. On Tuesday I found out that I booked a role in a film that has me shooting for three weeks...in upstate NY. Womp womp.

Moral of the story: If you want to book stuff in a city, fly as far across the country from that city as you can and it will happen right away

Ahhh that's all fantastic to hear, congrats!

I have worked on literally nothing VO related lately. drat.
But I am writing and will be producing a fictional podcast thing about ghosts, so that's neat.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a811847/video-game-voice-actor-union-strike/

quote:

A document posted by the union reads: "SAG-AFTRA tried for more than 19 months to negotiate a new deal with employers in the video game industry. Meanwhile,
performers have been governed by the more than two-decade old contract still in place.

"That has left voice actors without the protections necessary to work in the modern video game industry. "

The union is asking for performance bonuses, information about the nature of the performance before signing on and protection for the actors to be more in line with other entertainment mediums.

Important news for all the folks looking to get into professional voice work.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Bummer, I can't scab from New Zealand.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

I thought I read that only around 25% of developers go with SAG-AFTRA members, which I found interesting. Those are probably the big name companies too.

Basically these massive powerhouse developers that have productions costs/income on par with a major Hollywood studio are trying to treat their actors as poorly as they treat their developers, which is notoriously bad. Additionally, these big name studios are fighting super hard against a union because their biggest fear is that their coders will finally get their poo poo together an unionize as well. So they want to make this as bad a process as possible to scare the rest of their employees from standing up for themselves.

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

I just finished my first audiobook! I'm waiting for it to pass QC, but the hard part is done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
Congrats! What's it about?

Anyone been following that dude in LA Weekly crapping on professional VAs because "they make 800 an hour how dare they demand more"?