Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

JonathonSpectre posted:

God drat I hope I live at least a couple more years because I absolutely CAN NOT WAIT to read the books that are going to be written about this utterly unbelievable shitshow.

The Republicans could have run almost literally anyone else and had a hell of a good chance to beat Hillary Clinton. And in what absolutely will be one of the most consequential elections of the 21st century, that will define the Supreme Court for a generation... they nominate a dude who shits on minorities, war heroes, and loving babies. How did this happen, how did all these know-nothing bigoted morons come to control political power in our party, how, how, :qq: we are the real America how did this happen oh God :qq:

Crack up and die, you ruthless, incompetent, wealth-worshipping bigots. Crack up and die.

Because God is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Ol' Reince will always remind me of this great Daily Show segment about the election of the GOP Chair. The question at 2:25 was the part that stuck in my mind, but watching Michael Steele quote A Tale of Two Cities right after saying his favorite book was War and Peace

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pakled posted:

He's still employed by CNN, right? How can they justify this poo poo?

Ratings.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Pakled posted:

I guess they decided running against Clinton was too easy and now they want to run against the far more popular POTUS?

$500,000 well spent.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

CNN has to import pro trump people because all their stock conservatives loathe him

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like we're at the point where Trump managing to keep his mouth shut for a day would be seen as a tremendous recovery and shift for his campaign.

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

Epic High Five posted:

CNN has to import pro trump people because all their stock conservatives loathe him

This appears to be the most likely case

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Pakled posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-71uqV0LHag

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like we're at the point where Trump managing to keep his mouth shut for a day would be seen as a tremendous recovery and shift for his campaign.

Maybe that's the plan. Act so incredibly incompetent and set the bar so goddamn low for 2 straight months that by the time November rolls around Americans will be legitimately blown away by the way Donald managed to get all through October without literally making GBS threads his pants like a goddamn child, and that will be enough to get them to vote for him. :tinfoil:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/watch-the-simpsons-scathe-donald-trump-in-campaign-ad-w431846

The Simpsons are a national treasure.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Will the DNC and/or the PACs supporting Democratic Senate candidates start running ads shaming the GOP candidate for not rebuking Trump? Because that could work.

The ads in Ohio are trying to paint Rob Portman as soft on China or in the pockets of the Chinese. It's not terribly effective. Meanwhile they're running ads about Ted Strickland where it's Ol' Ted on video basically saying he was a lovely Governor.

We need these Senate races to hop on the Trump Train. And when the Republicans start disavowing Trump the Dems can hit them with "you only started disavowing him as soon as he started hurting your chances, not because you actually have a spine."

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
That's not that funny.
This however, owns.
https://twitter.com/elizabethforma/status/760277910758494212

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Thr Simpsons WAS a national treasure. This poo poo sucks.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

sarmhan posted:

Hillary Clinton's Twitter account is a national treasure. The people who run it deserve a raise.

One of the funniest things on there was her simply retweeting Martin Shkreli's endorsement of Trump.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Man, Castanella and Julie Kavner sound tired as gently caress. The simpsons isn't about humor or anything anymore. It's there for celebrities to show up and do a voice, then everyone gets a nice handshake and check and goes home. It's a series that should have retired years ago triumphantly or changed up its formula. (IE: People start aging, dying off, and new cast replacing them)

Edit: I did like the tiny hands gag, that was pretty decent.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 3, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Pakled posted:

If this is the route they take, they'll be completely writing off this presidential election and focusing on staying in control of Congress.

That's the beautiful trap they've stepped into. The top of the ticket is getting toxic enough to effect the down ballot, but if they actually write off the top of the ticket that effects the down ballot.

Not only does coming out against Trump piss off the Trump faithful, those who head their call are just going to stay home, because the only other choice is vote Hillary.

JonathonSpectre posted:

God drat I hope I live at least a couple more years because I absolutely CAN NOT WAIT to read the books that are going to be written about this utterly unbelievable shitshow.

The Republicans could have run almost literally anyone else and had a hell of a good chance to beat Hillary Clinton. And in what absolutely will be one of the most consequential elections of the 21st century, that will define the Supreme Court for a generation... they nominate a dude who shits on minorities, war heroes, and loving babies. How did this happen, how did all these know-nothing bigoted morons come to control political power in our party, how, how, :qq: we are the real America how did this happen oh God :qq:

Crack up and die, you ruthless, incompetent, wealth-worshipping bigots. Crack up and die.

I wonder how many variations of titles like Stranger Than Fiction we're going to end up with. The Circus got used last time, so that's going to make clown titles harder to do.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Everyone asking about Tim Huelskamp losing in Kansas, here's a Politico article from last week talking about that race.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/tim-huelskamp-kansas-primary-226486

quote:

What’s resulted in “the Big First,” as locals in the rural 63-county district call it, is an unlikely, multimillion dollar proxy fight this summer between some of the most powerful interests in the Republican Party. Outside conservative groups, including the Club for Growth and Koch brothers-backed Americans for Prosperity, have swooped in to try and save Huelskamp in Tuesday’s primary, while the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the Ricketts family’s “Ending Spending” group are spending big to send the three-term congressman back to Kansas.

The showdown has flipped the script on GOP warring in recent election cycles. Often it’s been an establishment-friendly incumbent scrambling to fend off a primary election challenger from the right. This time, it’s one of the most uncompromising conservatives in the House — a man who instigated John Boehner’s ouster as speaker and has bucked GOP leaders time and again on major votes — ironically being attacked as a D.C. insider and fighting for his political life.

Huelskamp’s critics back in Kansas say his “rigid” conservative ideology and unwillingness to work with his own party have deemed him ineffective. Three years ago, he was kicked off the House Agriculture Committee for spurning party leadership, in what is now, by far, his biggest vulnerability in the race. Marshall, conversely, is pitching himself as a pragmatic Republican who would give farmers a voice in Washington.

Essentially the guy who beat him is likely better for Kansas and the GOP because he'll act a little more like a real politician instead of an actual child. That said he's still conservative as gently caress. Bonus, this race cost the Koch brothers a bunch of wasted money.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Please tell me someone has a screenshot of CNN right now

EDIT: Khan was on, blasting Trump's Purple Heart comments.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 3, 2016

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mountaineer posted:

Republicans are in a tough spot. If things got bad enough they could come out and say they're not going to defend Trump anymore and instead they'll focus on congressional and states races. The thing is they kind of have to cling to the possibility of winning the presidency, because losing that almost certainly means losing the Supreme Court.

My feelings of schadenfreude are immense.

Except they have to know that ticket-splitting is pretty rare these days and if they telegraph "we are pulling out of the POTUS race" it's going to turn into a rout as Hillary can disengage a lot of forces to focus on down-ballot as well and know that she's going to get a blowout bump. The blowout bump being the situation in which candidates up by large margins in polls tend to do even better on election day as people want to vote for a winner.

But my fever dream of 400 electoral votes gets closer and closer every day. :pray:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Please tell me someone has a screenshot of CNN right now

What's happening?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Epic High Five posted:

Nope, there is zero chance enough of the party rejects Trump to make any difference at all.

For one, he would go loving nuclear against them and take his people along with him. Mostly though they're just cowards. What has Trump done so far, directly and to their faces? What have they happily had their noses rubbed in? You think making GBS threads all over veterans means a single thing to the GOPe if doing the right thing may mean having to worry about being primaried?

They're cowards, the lot of them. They'll be behind Trump until the bitter end. They may not give him a hand with anything or stump for him, but they'll be with him.

There's a non-zero chance that the party turns on him near the end. They have to cling to the hope of winning because the Supreme Court nominees are going to change the face of the law by swinging to the left or right. Their only hope at this point is Hillary shooting herself in the foot with a German 88. Once there's virtually no doubt she'll win, maybe mid-October, they might turn on Trump en masse and try to take back control of their own party over the next 4 years. The congressional candidates might do this sooner if they're in close races.

It's fairly unlikely this will happen IMO because refusing to support the nominee their party voted for is going to have huge short-term ramifications, but I still think it's a possibility. I hope they don't because that'll mean some other outsider will run in 4 years and they'll have no control then either.

Oh, and this doesn't take into account the possibility of a Trump bombshell regarding his taxes, net worth, pics of him daughterfucking, etc.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gyges posted:

I wonder how many variations of titles like Stranger Than Fiction we're going to end up with. The Circus got used last time, so that's going to make clown titles harder to do.
It Happened Here is my preferred title.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Night10194 posted:

What's happening?

Trump's gaffes are literally multiplying.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

The GOP are dumb and stubborn, but they should have confirmed Garland when Obama nominated him.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

I feel like this is just one long episode of that 70 show and everyone is taking turns burning Kelso

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Gyges posted:

That's the beautiful trap they've stepped into. The top of the ticket is getting toxic enough to effect the down ballot, but if they actually write off the top of the ticket that effects the down ballot.

Not only does coming out against Trump piss off the Trump faithful, those who head their call are just going to stay home, because the only other choice is vote Hillary.

See, when Cruz gave his speech, I thought it was by far the best speech of the RNC. It was hopeful. It was impassioned. It wasn't overly negative or overly reliant on bashing Hillary. It was a great speech to stump for his party's platform and a reminder "It's more than just the presidential race here!"

But, he didn't bend the knee, and his message got lost.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

straight up brolic posted:

The GOP are dumb and stubborn, but they should have confirmed Garland when Obama nominated him.

I remember seeing one analyst who said they should do that immediately as soon as Trump became presumptive nominee.

Bet that guy feels :smugdog: now.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Gyges posted:

Dumpster Fire will have to be one of them, surely.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

showbiz_liz posted:

Dumpster Fire will have to be one of them, surely.

MSNBC has you beat: Trumpster Fire.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

iospace posted:

See, when Cruz gave his speech, I thought it was by far the best speech of the RNC. It was hopeful. It was impassioned. It wasn't overly negative or overly reliant on bashing Hillary. It was a great speech to stump for his party's platform and a reminder "It's more than just the presidential race here!"

But, he didn't bend the knee, and his message got lost.

It was also one of the only speeches that actually had any substance regarding Republican policy. No one cared. Good though, because gently caress Ted Cruz.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Filthy Hans posted:

There's a non-zero chance that the party turns on him near the end. They have to cling to the hope of winning because the Supreme Court nominees are going to change the face of the law by swinging to the left or right. Their only hope at this point is Hillary shooting herself in the foot with a German 88. Once there's virtually no doubt she'll win, maybe mid-October, they might turn on Trump en masse and try to take back control of their own party over the next 4 years. The congressional candidates might do this sooner if they're in close races.

It's fairly unlikely this will happen IMO because refusing to support the nominee their party voted for is going to have huge short-term ramifications, but I still think it's a possibility. I hope they don't because that'll mean some other outsider will run in 4 years and they'll have no control then either.

Oh, and this doesn't take into account the possibility of a Trump bombshell regarding his taxes, net worth, pics of him daughterfucking, etc.

The great thing about this is, the GOP can't reject him by running to the right. There's literally nowhere for them to go but toward rationality, sanity, and reason. There's no emotional appeal they can make, the nativist angle is completely locked up by Trump, and the Religious Right already sold out. But, by moving "left," they open up their flank to the lunatic fringe. So, either the GOP succeeds in in carving out some slightly-left-of-now position, which is unequivocally better for the country, or they get consumed by Frankenstein's monster. It feels like dawn in America. Either that, or the light of the train barreling down the tunnel.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Oh wow.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

This may well have already been posted but gently caress it, it's incredible: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/runaway-trump-unmanageable_us_57a15f8de4b08a8e8b600c89?2qjz1j30qqjvsfw29

quote:

Trump does not take well to criticism, one official said, so any critique has to be prefaced with lavish praise ― as if dealing with a child.

One RNC member told The Huffington Post on condition of anonymity that Priebus routinely tells members that he frequently must “talk Trump down from a ledge,” and that the campaign would be in even worse shape if he didn’t.

Another RNC member could only offer: “What do you want us to say?”

Oh man I'm losing my poo poo at this, I hoped the Trumpster Fire had a chance of putting the GOP in a really difficult position come November if Hilldawg wins, but I didn't expect him to be so monumentally atrocious that he managed to get them all to throw their hands in the air within a week of the conventions ending. Any other candidate would be considered an utter disaster if they had this many scandals, gaffes, and unforced errors in their entire campaign. Their campaign would be considered an unprecedented catastrophe and the party would be expected to take a long hard look at itself to ask how someone so fundamentally unqualified to even run a campaign, let alone a country, and would at the least see heads roll and party machinery carefully tweaked.

But Trump didn't do it in a campaign of just over three months. He did it in a loving week. God alone knows what the future holds. :allears:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I can't describe the feeling I have right now as Trump's train wreck spews more trains that wreck ad infinitum.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

straight up brolic posted:

They still can. Garland's just twisting in the wind right now. At any point they can continue the vetting/nomination process.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
As happy as I am right now I get the feeling he'll still be polling at 40% next week and there will be enough Clinton scandals or other events to make this nerve wracking til the end.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Relentlessboredomm posted:

They still can. Garland's just twisting in the wind right now. At any point they can continue the vetting/nomination process.

I wouldn't be surprised that at the end of summer recess, we see confirmation proceedings. It may not end in confirmation, but they'll likely start.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Next time you are out drinking see if you can pinpoint the moment you would make a worse candidate than Trump.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Tomorrow, Donald will literally shoot himself in the foot while ranting about how gun control is for sissies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Relentlessboredomm posted:

It would be political suicide at this point/admitting defeat in all contests

• Locked thread