Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

precision posted:

Honestly Amazon Prime has generally had more good stuff than Netflix for a while now. Or maybe I've just already watched all the good stuff on Netflix.

Pretty nice that I won't have to pay to watch American Ultra. People I trust have said it's actually quite good, but I don't trust them that much.

It is really good and you should enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm admittedly not a terminator aficionado and I haven't seen the old ones in a while but I am so loving confused by the timeline in Genisys. Like, have I forgotten a lot of stuff or is this movie not supposed to make any sense whatsoever at the beginning?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

I'm admittedly not a terminator aficionado and I haven't seen the old ones in a while but I am so loving confused by the timeline in Genisys. Like, have I forgotten a lot of stuff or is this movie not supposed to make any sense whatsoever at the beginning?

It assumes you have a passing familiarity with the first two movies and then uses that knowledge to disorient you, which is the subjective experience of the characters.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Terminator series is infinite timelines, so the one we're seeing in Genisys just happens to have two leads with no charisma and the Terminator is 70 years old.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh ok lol. I posted that like 2 minutes before Sarah Conner showed up and explained why nothing made sense. Patience NESguerilla.

Movie seems bad though.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

Movie seems bad though.

NESguerilla posted:

Patience NESguerilla.

Just watch the movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It is pretty bad though.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Nah, it's pretty good, though perhaps not as good as two absolute classics. It's a continuation of an upward bend in the franchise after the absolute nadir of the third.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It has its moments, but not enough of them and the casting was terrible.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I may have benefited going in with so low of expectations for Jai Courtney and Emilia Clarke that I was actually pleasantly surprised, but I thought they were fine. That latter's princess routine actually fits with her having been pampered her whole life by robot superdad as compared to the original Sarah Connor.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

precision posted:

Honestly Amazon Prime has generally had more good stuff than Netflix for a while now. Or maybe I've just already watched all the good stuff on Netflix.

Can folks give tips on how to make prime usable? I feel like the interface is godawful, and actually FINDING videos to watch is nearly impossible.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kaedric posted:

Can folks give tips on how to make prime usable? I feel like the interface is godawful, and actually FINDING videos to watch is nearly impossible.

I just brute force it. As far as I know there's not much else to do other than use things like instantwatcher and canistreamit but those aren't much better than just manually browsing anyway.

Though I do think Prime tends to do a better job of recommending me things based on my viewing history.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Sir Kodiak posted:

I may have benefited going in with so low of expectations for Jai Courtney and Emilia Clarke that I was actually pleasantly surprised, but I thought they were fine. That latter's princess routine actually fits with her having been pampered her whole life by robot superdad as compared to the original Sarah Connor.
Yeah, I wasn't expecting much so I was pleased that it wasn't an Asylum-tier train wreck. You could find worse wastes of time. I understand why people might have an issue with Clarke because she had some really cringeworthy scenes.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

Perhaps I can help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXJiSZhA5cg&hd=1

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Kaedric posted:

Buy a Roku Stick or Fire TV Stick. Either one has an interface that's light-years ahead of the website.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Genisys is better then Batman V Superman but not as good as any new Transformers movie which in turn is worse then any movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
BvS at least has an interesting look to it and two leads who can act.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

BvS at least has an interesting look to it and two leads who can act.

I quite liked Emilia Clarke.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

precision posted:

Pretty nice that I won't have to pay to watch American Ultra. People I trust have said it's actually quite good, but I don't trust them that much.

I enjoyed American Ultra a lot. It's stoner Jason Bourne played mostly straight.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thank you for this :haw:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I quite liked Emilia Clarke.

I like her too but have you seen Genisys? She's almost shockingly bad in it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Watch the following:

Sunday Ball

Brahman Naman

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Watched Theeb and Valhalla Rising. The latter is basically one and a half hours of people moodily staring at each other, but gently caress if it isn't pretty. Theeb is well worth seeing if you want a good companion piece to Lawrence of Arabia.
I convinced my roommate to watch Valhalla Rising because he likes Italian movies with lots of weird subtexts and lighting and camera shots and stuff, but he got really, really weirded out by the one dude that got high and raped a dude, and refused to finish watching. I'd totally forgotten that scene was even in the movie.

morestuff posted:

Prime's having a really good month:
I love Goon, it's up there with Groundhog Day in my list of best movies. World's Fastest Indian is a super great feelgood movie. American Ultra was better than I expected it to be, I wouldn't mind watching it again.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

coyo7e posted:

I convinced my roommate to watch Valhalla Rising because he likes Italian movies with lots of weird subtexts and lighting and camera shots and stuff, but he got really, really weirded out by the one dude that got high and raped a dude, and refused to finish watching. I'd totally forgotten that scene was even in the movie.

That part is in a fairly long montage where everyone is tripping out so I can see how it's easy to forget. The standout stuff to me was the entire sequence on the ship. Just fantastic.

After having seen it, I wonder if Hideo Kojima was doing a little Refn love letter with The Phantom Pain.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
TPP is nothing but homages to movies he loves so I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Kojima and Refn apparently just hang out when they're in the same general location. It's pretty awesome.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Mr. Maltose posted:

Kojima and Refn apparently just hang out when they're in the same general location. It's pretty awesome.

That's awesome. I got super :3: when he got to show George Miller a trailer in person. I like that he's friends with all these other big name directors.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Toad Road is on Prime. It's a very interesting movie.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

precision posted:

Toad Road is on Prime. It's a very interesting movie.
eh.
meh

The fact that the movie's biggest trailer ends with "I just wanna drop some acid and see what happens" should be enough to tell you what to expect

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Goon is fantastic! It's such a basic theme that's executed really well and straight forward. It's nice not having out of nowhere plot twists and such occasionally.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Goon also has a refreshing break from most sports movies by having the antagonist just be 'that guy who is a good at his job but on the other team' and not be a raging rear end in a top hat or actual villain.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
That's pretty much how pro-hockey enforcers actually are.
Movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI9hhHqCQZM
Reality: Jump to 42 seconds... I can't get the time right in the link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxFS2JAyleo

deoju fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Aug 3, 2016

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Yeah, this was my reaction to Toad Road as well. It's been a while since I watched it but I remember just not being impressed at all.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Kill Your Darlings on Crackle; 2013 true story where Daniel Radcliffe plays Allen Ginsberg, and shows the early days of Burroughs, Ginsberg and Kerouac in which one of their friends commits murder. It's actually quite great, so if Crackle's ads bother you then consider dropping $3 to watch it somewhere else.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The Invitation was great. Suspense thriller with a slow burn that managed to keep me engaged. I normally hate slow burn movies... I'm all about "JUST GET TO THE CRAP THAT HAPPENS!" but this one was great.

It's a thinker. Great.

And They're Watching was loads of fun. It was everything you suspect from a found footage movie, including gaping holes in logic and predictable stupid crap, but drat it was fun.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

magnificent7 posted:

The Invitation was great. Suspense thriller with a slow burn that managed to keep me engaged. I normally hate slow burn movies... I'm all about "JUST GET TO THE CRAP THAT HAPPENS!" but this one was great.

It's a thinker. Great.

And They're Watching was loads of fun. It was everything you suspect from a found footage movie, including gaping holes in logic and predictable stupid crap, but drat it was fun.

I watched these exact same two movies yesterday, are you me?? :tinfoil:

They're Watching certainly was fun but it mostly felt like a 10-minute special effects reel padded out to feature length, I feel like it would've worked a lot better at half the running time

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

King of Bleh posted:

They're Watching certainly was fun but it mostly felt like a 10-minute special effects reel padded out to feature length, I feel like it would've worked a lot better at half the running time
You just summed up the Found Footage genre in one sentence.

I saw your post from the previous page and wanted to reply to it, but after two full pages, I was all, "meh I'll just start fresh."

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
Amazon Prime just put up something called "Rednex: The Movie." It sadly does not appear to answer the questions of where Cotton-Eye Joe came from or where went.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

ChickenMedium posted:

Amazon Prime just put up something called "Rednex: The Movie." It sadly does not appear to answer the questions of where Cotton-Eye Joe came from or where went.
The summary teaser sounds amazing. "A Provocative Dance in an Inappropriate Location can be a Deadly Attraction in a Town for RedneX only. A successful modeling agent learns very fast that a secluded small town in northern Florida is the worst place he could have brought his extraordinarily seductive new model."

I always thought cottoneye joe was a song about growing weed though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Cottoneye Joe" is a cautionary tale about mixing ecstasy with being a European techno band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I enjoyed "A Kidnapping". Not so much with The Wave. I mean I get the story, but as soon as boss says, "you want to cause a panic during tourist season?" it became Jaws: The Rock/Tidal Wave version.