Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

bees everywhere posted:

At the same time I would like a Starship Troopers mod where I am the brain bug and I have to defend my peaceful bug colony against the hordes of fascist mobile infantrymen.

That would be rad. I like the mod Apparello in part because of the various clothing items with bonuses to skills. At the same time, I think it goes a little overboard in terms of quantity of items added, and there are a lot of items with minimal or duplicative bonuses. If someone did a mod where you could play as the bugs, I think a cool thing to do would be to revamp clothing into "carapaces" so that you could have specialized bug castes with varying bonus/malus trade-offs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

How do you guys keep your colonists' mood from slipping when you're doing poo poo like cutting out stomachs and legs and poo poo? I have enough trouble keeping my guys happy without being a post apocalyptic supervillain

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Jeremor posted:

How do you guys keep your colonists' mood from slipping when you're doing poo poo like cutting out stomachs and legs and poo poo? I have enough trouble keeping my guys happy without being a post apocalyptic supervillain

Colonists are really easy to buy off. Give them a dining room, a 5x5 bedroom with a light and plant, a couple horseshoe sticks, and some decent food and you can saw people open for days without too much trouble.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Jeremor posted:

Basically you need to offset the negatives with all the possible mood modifiers, keeping a stockpile of beer and having at least one psychopaths is vital as he will be doing the butchering and handling all the corpses etc...

All my colonists live in fancy big bedrooms with sculptures and fancy human leather armchairs and have 3 hours of joy time allocated, I have a stockpile of 200ish fine meals and an impressive dinning room and rec room (also with fancy human leather couches)

Basically the key is to ensure that you are able to hit every positive here:
http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Thoughts_list

Once you established a base with significant positive mood boosts you can start being evil. I still have sporadic mental breakdowns and I do try to weed out colonists who have a tough time staying positive - with Randy Random you should have a steady supply of new colonist via either pods, refugees or prisoners, so feel free to put the moody ones on the front lines. A huge beer supply is really nice as it seems the booze binge is a very common mental breakdown with no real downsides. I've tried stuffing joywires in but really seems to be a rather strong debuff as it lowers consciousnesses by 20% so I don't do that anymore.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Azhais posted:

Tynan is wildly against this becoming dwarf fortress where people just hole up in a mountain and live forever with their killboxes having fun. First pass was adding sappers. Then infestations. Presumably step 3 will have him requiring you make air vents to pump in oxygen or your people all die of co2 poisoning.

Is it bad that I'd kinda like that :saddowns: My dream addition would be the ability to build a real spaceship in Rimworld's style and have people mining asteroids and adding on to it and stuff.

Spacebase DF-9 ending up as a total shitheap nearly killed me.

Drink Cheerwine posted:

He has a hate-boner for mountain bases specifically, and successful colonies generally. Tynan has a lot of good instincts, but sometimes his sense of balance/fun is kinda wack. I think a lot of it stems from his conception of Rimworld as a "story generator" rather than a game.

It also sucks because Tynan's idea of a good story is "Then another hundred idiots came to attack the base again" over and over until one says "except this time they killed everyone the end"

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
For infestations, I would just be happy if there was just a tiny bit of notice that it was coming. Two hives and a bunch of bugs showing up in someone's bedroom in the middle of the night kinda sucks.

I'm just asking for just enough time for the guy to flee after hearing bugs scratching through the walls and then we can gather troops and fight back.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Jeremor posted:

Have a psychopath do the "Surgery".

They don't care.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

FileNotFound posted:

Basically you need to offset the negatives with all the possible mood modifiers, keeping a stockpile of beer and having at least one psychopaths is vital as he will be doing the butchering and handling all the corpses etc...

All my colonists live in fancy big bedrooms with sculptures and fancy human leather armchairs and have 3 hours of joy time allocated, I have a stockpile of 200ish fine meals and an impressive dinning room and rec room (also with fancy human leather couches)

Basically the key is to ensure that you are able to hit every positive here:
http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Thoughts_list

Once you established a base with significant positive mood boosts you can start being evil. I still have sporadic mental breakdowns and I do try to weed out colonists who have a tough time staying positive - with Randy Random you should have a steady supply of new colonist via either pods, refugees or prisoners, so feel free to put the moody ones on the front lines. A huge beer supply is really nice as it seems the booze binge is a very common mental breakdown with no real downsides. I've tried stuffing joywires in but really seems to be a rather strong debuff as it lowers consciousnesses by 20% so I don't do that anymore.

Alduous Huxley could never have seen this coming.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Are there any mods that sidestep the whole "colonists can't doctor themselves" thing? Like, maybe a version of a medical bed that heals you itself? It'd be cool to play a rich explorer and be able to stick to that, without having to reload after every minor injury.

Devdisigdu
Mar 23, 2016

The shadows lengthen
In Carcosa.

Jeremor posted:

with regards to the idea of removing legs to incapacitate prisoners, how are you doing it? I'm using the Expanded Prosthetics and Organ Engineering mod and that used to let you hack off arms and legs directly through surgery, but that feature got removed for "balance" and bug reasons. Arms and legs were worth a bunch of silver. Is there another surgery mod that lets you do this which is compatible?

Closest thing I've been able to do so far is install peg leg -> remove peg leg.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Keeshhound posted:

Welcome to the Rimworld thread, please enjoy your stay.

I keep trying to build communes around creating great inspirational art and fending off the odd pirate/mechanoid/animal attack by being heavily armed.

It usually ends in fire, but...

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Is there a way to make it so animals don't always follow their master when drafted? I love my swarm of wolves and bears on my murderous beastmistress against tribals and infestations, but sometimes I want to draft her to fight against gun-using raiders without the animals wandering into the crossfire and getting horribly mangled.

Death by Chickens
Jan 12, 2012

Kanos posted:

Is there a way to make it so animals don't always follow their master when drafted? I love my swarm of wolves and bears on my murderous beastmistress against tribals and infestations, but sometimes I want to draft her to fight against gun-using raiders without the animals wandering into the crossfire and getting horribly mangled.

Only way I know of is creating an animal only zone. Make a special one inside of your base specifically for emergencies and then when poo poo goes down assign all of them into it. Problem solved.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
If I understand the wiki correctly, pemmican is just for storing food before you get electricity, right?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Fat Samurai posted:

If I understand the wiki correctly, pemmican is just for storing food before you get electricity, right?

Your dudes can eat pemmican without any mood malus, but I think they eat 20 at a time, when a meal made of pemmican only uses 10. It's something like that I forget the exact numbers.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
The way I'm reading the wiki, Pemmican is 10 food (5 vegetal, 5 mineral) and 5% nutrition, while a simple meal is 10 food for 85% nutrition. I asked because that seems a very bad investment unless I can tell my colonists to not eat the pemmican.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kanos posted:

Unassign them from any colonists in the animals menu.

Fat Samurai posted:

The way I'm reading the wiki, Pemmican is 10 food (5 vegetal, 5 mineral) and 5% nutrition, while a simple meal is 10 food for 85% nutrition. I asked because that seems a very bad investment unless I can tell my colonists to not eat the pemmican.

You get 18 pemmican out of 10 food. So it's significantly more efficient than the base ingredients but less so than the actual meals, pemmican however lasts well over a year while meals last a few days.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Start a colony group of 4 females with Beautiful, Abrasive, Dislikes Men and 1 guy with Volatile, Trigger Happy and Very Neurotic, and all of his art pieces come out named My Twisted World

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012
Any way to consistently down people rather than kill them?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

damnfan posted:

i find beating them with fists or clubs works though you still kill them sometimes. if you shoot them up a bit with a pdw or a pistol first to slow them down they probably won't die before you beat them into giving up

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

damnfan posted:

Blunt damage from fists and clubs is fairly likely to incapacitate someone without murdering them. Sometimes you'll get the lucky swing that caves in a skull or blows up an eyeball or something but the majority of the time bruising damage both causes a lot of pain(contributes to going into incap state) and doesn't get infected/leave permanent wounds.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Speaking of melee, does anyone have any tips about using melee attackers in the early game, before you get personal shields? Right now I have some amazing melee skills going to waste because my kill box is just a shooting gallery, but every time I try to sneak a melee around the back they just get shot to pieces

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

damnfan posted:

I don't know if it's still this way or not but it used to be entirely up to the storyteller if you get to down or kill someone. The more colonists you had, the less likely you were to down people.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Does building furniture out of materials other than wood have an effect beyond aesthetics? I understand the value of stone walls and such, but is there any reason my butcher table or beds should be made out of steel?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The Bramble posted:

Does building furniture out of materials other than wood have an effect beyond aesthetics? I understand the value of stone walls and such, but is there any reason my butcher table or beds should be made out of steel?

Comfort and beauty considerations. Wood is renewable but cheap.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Goddamn, the rejected marriage proposal modifier is -25 mood for 1 season, 10 days :eyepop:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Remember, when your skills get higher you can just make your guys dismantle and rebuild things like beds to get better beauty bonuses.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

This game really is an amazing passive aggressive roommate simulator.

"Well, our common dining room is covered in blood and vomit that is making everyone feel awful but it's not *my* blood so someone else can clean it up, I have to make a really terrible sculpture"

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I got this game a few days back and it's awesome. I really liked DF and a long time ago put some effort into learning how to play it but having something sort of similar based off a graphical UI is pretty sweet. My current favorite thing to do is to have my colonists make sculptures so I can see what sort of crazy poo poo they come up with. :3:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Clocks posted:

I got this game a few days back and it's awesome. I really liked DF and a long time ago put some effort into learning how to play it but having something sort of similar based off a graphical UI is pretty sweet. My current favorite thing to do is to have my colonists make sculptures so I can see what sort of crazy poo poo they come up with. :3:

Legendary and Masterwork beds can get some crazy art on them too :D

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Taerkar posted:

Comfort and beauty considerations. Wood is renewable but cheap.

So a 'superior' steel dining chair will give a better mood boost than a 'superior' wood dining chair? Where does stone, cloth, and leather fit into this? What about production furniture, what's the benefit?

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
:siren: Combat Realism has been updated for A14 :siren:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=9759.1605

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DreamShipWrecked posted:

This game really is an amazing passive aggressive roommate simulator.

"Well, our common dining room is covered in blood and vomit that is making everyone feel awful but it's not *my* blood so someone else can clean it up, I have to make a really terrible sculpture"

you should change priorities so that art is below (a higher number) than cleaning (a lower number)

I generally have one or two colonists with cleaning set as a 1, it doesn't take them much time to keep everything clean if they don't give it a chance to build up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Bramble posted:

Anything which can be beautiful (workstations can't be but most furniture can be) will benefit from being built out of a beautiful material. Materials have flat additions and multipliers for beauty, stone for example adds +2 to any valid item built from it and depending on the type of stone, you also get a multiplier.

Marble is a good material to make beautiful objects out of, like tables and chairs, but it is very slow to work so making art out of it will take a very long time.

Wood is fast to work and has some beauty modifiers so makes good sculpting material. It's also good to make doors out of because wood has a 120% door open speed modifier, so doors made of it are easier to open.

Beds should not be made from stone because stone has a malus to rest effectiveness (though not comfort, so it's specifically bad for beds), wood is best for beds.

The Bramble posted:

So a 'superior' steel dining chair will give a better mood boost than a 'superior' wood dining chair? Where does stone, cloth, and leather fit into this? What about production furniture, what's the benefit?

The opposite, actually, wood is prettier than steel so a quality wood dining chair will look a bit nicer, but otherwise they will be identical. Steel is not, honestly, a very good thing to make furniture out of, it's valuable for other applications, you can always use more of it, and it has no particular benefits to any kind of furniture, wood is almost universally better than steel and stone is better for anything you want to look nice/need to be fire resistant. Marble is easily the best material to make most of your dining tables and chessboards/pool tables out of, for example, because it looks nicest, is not excessively slow to build on something as simple as a table, and you can't accidentally set fire to the result.

I don't believe cloth/leather has any benefit to comfort or beauty so you can make furniture out of either, though leather makes tougher clothing so i would suggest saving your leather for dusters and suchlike.

Workstations don't have any benefits except that stone ones are probably fireproof.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 3, 2016

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation! I've been wondering about this for a while now.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Various materials have various modifiers. Like stone beds are less comfortable than wood or steel beds and as such your people will sleep longer.

http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Materials

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Bramble posted:

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation! I've been wondering about this for a while now.

A good thing to do is press the little [i] button on the info panel for objects and materials like stone blocks.

On an object it gives you a detailed breakdown of all the attributes of that object, including any contributing modifiers from materials and such, and on a material it gives you all the possible modifiers that material will have on anything you build with it (as long as the modifiers are applicable, as above workbenches and stuff won't be pretty whatever you build them out of)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Psychic drone followed directly by toxic fallout and volcanic winter within 3 days. Seems I missed the apocalypse or something.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Broken Cog posted:

Psychic drone followed directly by toxic fallout and volcanic winter within 3 days. Seems I missed the apocalypse or something.

My last colony died because Phoebe Chillax (whose name is clearly ironic) hit me with, at the same time, 8/10 colonists getting the plague, solar flare, heat wave, extreme psychic pulse, and on the way to the hospital the only person I'd found with cooking > 1 had his marriage proposal rejected. Went from 100% happy to wandering in a daze in about 2 hours game time. When he finally collapsed from starvation and I was able to drag him to a bed, he died of the plague.

I don't mind losing colonies, but that's really just "gently caress this colony in particular" from the storyteller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
So my beautiful marble beds are a bad idea, got it.

My current colony is going to starve to death anyways. All of spring so far has been volcanic winter, so the only growing I can do is what I can get out of my hydroponics, which I don't have enough of to feed my people, so what veggie stores I had have long since been ate and what meat I bring in goes away way too quickly. If volcanic winter doesn't let up soon there won't be anything left to hunt, after which my people will slowly starve to death.

Oh, and the previous fall had been nuclear fallout, so there isn't even much in the way of game animals around. A herd of insane elephants is the only thing that has kept my colony fed.