Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

As happy as I am right now I get the feeling he'll still be polling at 40% next week and there will be enough Clinton scandals or other events to make this nerve wracking til the end.

Quoth The Donald, "Arzy more."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

As happy as I am right now I get the feeling he'll still be polling at 40% next week and there will be enough Clinton scandals or other events to make this nerve wracking til the end.

I'm sure a high single digit lead for Clinton will be quite panic inducing

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mahoning posted:

Will the DNC and/or the PACs supporting Democratic Senate candidates start running ads shaming the GOP candidate for not rebuking Trump? Because that could work.

I think Maddow just had a story on about how John McCain's Dem challenger is doing just that.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

All right, I had a bet with a friend of mine Trump v. Clinton for a hundred bucks. This was months ago when I bet that Trump would blow up harder than the democrats could get in their own way. Normally we get along and it was his bet to put my money where my mouth was in regards to this election because I was telling him in no uncertain terms how bad of a train wreck would he would be. We talk politics constantly and while we disagree often about politics we're normally congenial which is weird in these days of echo chambers.

Would offering him to buy me out for twenty bucks and a six pack that we can share condescending? I really don't want to be condescending, but at this point when Trump is making fun of dead veterans, attacking their families, dissing babies, not supporting Ryan or McCain and generally being a loving mess everywhere I can't see him spinning this back in his favor. I'm not sure if any amount, big or small, of the dems tripping over their own dicks can sink this election for them.

Should I let it ride or have a hard talk about it?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I don't think I've seen this posted here yet.
https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/760714702955700224

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Anos posted:

Next time you are out drinking see if you can pinpoint the moment you would make a worse candidate than Trump.

oh my god this is a great game and will help me be more self-aware while plastered

i think that means i'm already losing though

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

No, but you see, the real criminal empire is the Clinton Foundation

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Ice Phisherman posted:

All right, I had a bet with a friend of mine Trump v. Clinton for a hundred bucks. This was months ago when I bet that Trump would blow up harder than the democrats could get in their own way. Normally we get along and it was his bet to put my money where my mouth was in regards to this election because I was telling him in no uncertain terms how bad of a train wreck would he would be. We talk politics constantly and while we disagree often about politics we're normally congenial which is weird in these days of echo chambers.

Would offering him to buy me out for twenty bucks and a six pack that we can share condescending? I really don't want to be condescending, but at this point when Trump is making fun of dead veterans, attacking their families, dissing babies, not supporting Ryan or McCain and generally being a loving mess everywhere I can't see him spinning this back in his favor. I'm not sure if any amount, big or small, of the dems tripping over their own dicks can sink this election for them.

Don't gently caress over your friends. If you want to keep the friendship, give him an out. It's not condescending unless you're a total dick about it.

That being said, you totally get a free "I told you so"

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

One of my friends lost $200 to a high school friend from Idaho when he bet that Trump wouldn't be nominated. I haven't spoken with him since the convention, so I'm not sure if he's paid up or not. I'd suggest he make a double or nothing bet, but I don't like his track record.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
It might be seen as condescending if your friend is/is still emotionally invested in Trump and dealing with crushed expectations. If he's not hinting at wanting an out, let it ride and plan to spend your winnings on the bar tab post election.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Trump on election night 2012.

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedAndrew/status/760683576195215360

He's totally gonna try to start a civil war when he loses.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Deploy FBI teams to every federally owned building abandoned for the winter!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Pakled posted:

it would be astoundingly short-lived if so. He doesn't have a military arm the way a lot of fascist parties did.

See if he was trying to make a Trump Youth, even a small one, I would have some concern. But he isn't, and now it's probably too late.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Nessus posted:

it would be astoundingly short-lived if so. He doesn't have a military arm the way a lot of fascist parties did.

See if he was trying to make a Trump Youth, even a small one, I would have some concern. But he isn't, and now it's probably too late.

They tried but he kept having the babies kicked out.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Nessus posted:

Yeah, I'm sure whatever violence he calls for will fail to materialize in any way that seriously threatens the government, but I worry that it might lead to increased violence against minorities.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Nessus posted:

What about Tarp Man's kids

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pakled posted:

Yeah, I'm sure whatever violence he calls for will fail to materialize in any way that seriously threatens the government, but I worry that it might lead to increased violence against minorities.

Legitimizing the rise of white nationalist groups is valid, but I wouldn't sweat the "delegitimize the election" scenarios. If this week has given me anything, it's a renewed sense of faith in the overall American electorate. Trump is lovely as all gently caress, but he's not up to the challenge of destroying America.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

BeefThief posted:

What about Tarp Man's kids

Scattered when the electric fence went down and CPS decided that maybe it wasn't the best environ for foster kids.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Pretty confused by Trump's tweets because Obama won by every metric

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

weekly font posted:

Probably happened when Cali was first called for Obama but before the actual vote counts were in.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

weekly font posted:

Most likely, he'd spent the last few weeks unskewing polls and consuming media that maintained despite all evidence that Romney would win in a landslide, so he just took it for granted that Romney DEFINITELY won the popular vote.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

weekly font posted:

Except the key metric measured with a paper sack.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I have a theory. It's the only one that makes sense to me.
The world we live in is actually a series of Onion articles where they invented the most ridiculous possible candidate and keep topping themselves with a story about his latest antics.
Reality thinks we're hilarious.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Aug 3, 2016

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

weekly font posted:

Well he didn't get the approval of uneducated white people so that sounds like as good an excuse to revolt as any.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Pakled posted:

lol, Obama won the popular vote by 5 million. C'mon Trump. :rolleye:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Pakled posted:

Depressingly, this seems likely to happen no matter what, so the best we can do is brace for impact and be sure that people who decide to engage in racist violence get held to account

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

Zerilan posted:

Probably happened when Cali was first called for Obama but before the actual vote counts were in.

Yeah, If my memory doesn't fail me, Obama's win was obvious enough and early enough that it was called before the official vote count actually reflected the reality. Which, of course, caused a lot of kneejerk reactions from people who seemingly never paid attention to an election night before.

In fact, I remember it being called on Fox in the middle of Karl Rove explaining how Romney could still pull out a victory (unless that was 08).

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Ice Phisherman posted:

This is the problem with liberals, you don't know how to gloat in victory.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

weekly font posted:

FIRST TIME posted:

lol, Obama won the popular vote by 5 million. C'mon Trump. :rolleye:

California has a lot of the population of the US in it, and is one of the last states to close (sorry Hawai'i). It's also reliably dem that it could have its EV counted prior to the final voter tally entered in.

So for a while you had Obama trailing Romney by a few million votes. That rapidly shifted once stuff actually got counted. Of course Drudge, Breitbart, and Fox are never ones to let facts get in the way of a good immediate narrative so they leaped on the disparity/2000 callback.

By sometime in the AM (eastern time) Obama had both the EV majority and the popular vote, and the latter finally settled with Romney getting the deeply ironic 47%.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

That makes sense then, knowing that he was complaining before they even finished counting the all votes.

It's almost as if Trump doesn't know how the Electoral College works! :v

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The cool part about 2012 was this one video shot by a lady alone in her loving trailer, drinking butterscotch liqueur and smoking while swearing up and down about how everyone betrayed Romney and how libertarians were garbage and how the world was gonna end, and in the middle of it she blurts out a loving prayer to Andrew Breitbart who by that time had dropped dead due to his coke habit. I wish I could find the drat thing because it was just the sheer epitome of a deluded person reentering reality at Mach 18.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

FAUXTON posted:

The cool part about 2012 was this one video shot by a lady alone in her loving trailer, drinking butterscotch liqueur and smoking while swearing up and down about how everyone betrayed Romney and how libertarians were garbage and how the world was gonna end, and in the middle of it she blurts out a loving prayer to Andrew Breitbart who by that time had dropped dead due to his coke habit. I wish I could find the drat thing because it was just the sheer epitome of a deluded person reentering reality at Mach 18.

If it makes you feel better I remember this too, so at least you aren't insane.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I love that in the span eight tweets, he goes from frothing rage, calling for open revolution to "welp, better luck next time." And in the intervening 20 minutes, someone explained to him how the electoral college works and he managed to misspell a three letter word.

Edit:

FAUXTON posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLoqti0lzAw

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

OAquinas posted:

California has a lot of the population of the US in it, and is one of the last states to close (sorry Hawai'i). It's also reliably dem that it could have its EV counted prior to the final voter tally entered in.

So for a while you had Obama trailing Romney by a few million votes. That rapidly shifted once stuff actually got counted. Of course Drudge, Breitbart, and Fox are never ones to let facts get in the way of a good immediate narrative so they leaped on the disparity/2000 callback.

By sometime in the AM (eastern time) Obama had both the EV majority and the popular vote, and the latter finally settled with Romney getting the deeply ironic 47%.

Luckily the US won't have that problem this year when Clinton sews up 270 EVs before the California polls even close.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

DemeaninDemon posted:

Except the key metric measured with a paper sack.

Also isn't an R. But yeah non-white is the bigger issue.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CongoJack posted:

If it makes you feel better I remember this too, so at least you aren't insane.

http://wonkette.com/489380/nice-lady-goes-on-epic-23-minute-potty-rant-because-her-friends-didnt-share-her-romney-posts-on-facebook

I forgot the part where she slings vitriol at everyone who didn't share her bullshit on Facebook.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

smg77 posted:

I can't believe it was only a week ago that we were all freaking out over Trump's convention bounce in the polls.

Oh hi. As someone who was actually around in LF and D&D when Obama was elected, lemme just say that everyone was worried as gently caress and LF ended up hating Obama like 2 months into his Presidency if not earlier. Our gay forums are not good at being calm with anything that can be identified as the status quo

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah the convention bounce creates artificial poll drama, and anyway, it's looking like Hillary's convention was much more effective by every metric.

Clinton currently has at minimum a 5-point lead in every poll. Trump's post-convention polls basically brought him to a statistical tie.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/election-update-is-clintons-lead-a-bounce-or-a-new-equilibrium/

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Lester Shy posted:

I love that in the span eight tweets, he goes from frothing rage, calling for open revolution to "welp, better luck next time." And in the intervening 20 minutes, someone explained to him how the electoral college works and he managed to misspell a three letter word.

The oldest tweets are on the bottom, not the top. He started out going "back to the drawing board" nonchalantly and then within 10 minutes has become a frothing lunatic because Trump has no self-control or reason. Presumably someone took away his phone at that point and then Trump's rage was redirected to whatever poor staffer made that mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

OAquinas posted:

Don't gently caress over your friends. If you want to keep the friendship, give him an out. It's not condescending unless you're a total dick about it.

That being said, you totally get a free "I told you so"
No, he doesn't. The point of a bet is to replace endless arguments and one side's eventual "I told you so" with a simple cash transaction. All of the necessary emotional content should be contained wordlessly within that moment when the loser is taking actual money out of his wallet.

• Locked thread