Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Jay Rust posted:

I'm worried because Sean Bean's IMDb credits don't include Civ VI :ohdear:

you know imdb works like wikipedia right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

We'll probably know this week?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Ed Beach confirmed that we'll get a new Civ this week, and also a look at religion?

https://twitter.com/EdBeach23/status/760278872436961280

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Today's civ is Brazil!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Oh2HzwZxOc

We can see that they gave names to Great Prophets this time too.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
hey, here's Pedro, the new friend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SafL6Dbu1Lk

LA: "Magnanimous" - Recoups some of the points spent to recruit/patronize Great Persons
UD: Carnival District - Replaces the Entertainment Complex; Once built, the city can start the Carnival city project, turning production into extra amenities and giving additional Great Person points
UU: Minas Geraes - Unlocked through Nationalism civic; sea unit with improved defense and ranged attack
UA: Districts get adjacency bonuses from being built next to rainforests

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Interesting. After looking them up on Wikipedia, the Minas Geraes class were two WW1 era battleships that set off a naval arms race in South America that was only interrupted by the outbreak of the actual WW1. They made Brazil the third country in the world, after the UK and US, to order and build modern dreadnought-type battleships.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 2, 2016

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Cythereal posted:

Interesting. After looking them up on Wikipedia, the Minas Geraes class were two WW1 era battleships that set off a naval arms race in South America that was only interrupted by the outbreak of the actual WW1. They made Brazil the third country in the world, after the UK and US, to order and build modern dreadnought-type battleships.

Im brazilian and never knew that

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The GP screens

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

How did they make great admirals and great generals worse

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Grapplejack posted:

How did they make great admirals and great generals worse

Seems like each GP (except for prophets) have unique abilities.

ie: Chin Shi was a pirate hence the plunder ability.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 2, 2016

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

It seems like great generals recruited for combat ability don't have unique abilities? kinda sucks

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
Brazil UA: Gain extra gold when hosting the International Games from robbing the athletes. All other participating nations lose population.

Byzantine UA: Triple salt.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
civfanatics hot take

quote:

Way to go Firaxis! Great choice over the Inca. I mean, what did they ever do? They never put together a slapdash and potentially-harmful-to-the-athletes Olympics. That's the true mark of a great empire, worthy of the base game over the Inca and countless other native American civs.

quote:

It seems absolutely ludicrous that Brazil is in before Portugal is. Portugal is an actual civilization with great accomplishments while Brazil is basically its offshoot.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 2, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Brazil is still around while the Incas are not. Clearly that means they won.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Salty nationalists are the best part of the civfanatics forums. Which isn't saying much.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What's the historical rationale behind a Brazilian GP bonus

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
I will not rest, I will not sleep for an instant, until glorious Moldova is fully represented.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

"Dom Pedro was magnanimous"

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Brazil has produced a whole bunch of Great Players, like Pelé

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Someone at Firaxis spent 30 seconds skimming Wikipedia

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

None of the bonuses so far has really made me feel excited at all. Maybe they'll seem better once I know the game more. :shrug:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Another confirmation from the list.

Not that it's impossible to replace a Great Person (much as how City-States changed in Civ V as new Civs were added in expansions), but having Hannibal Barca in certainly seems like an early indication that if/when Carthage returns, it'll be a different leader. Either Dido again or possibly Hamilcar?

The rainforest bonus seems like it might interfere slightly with a tourism strategy since they reduce Appeal on adjacent tiles.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

The CF thread pointed out that in the video Brazil has dashed borders in one part and solid lines later on. Apparently this is because in the early game borders are less strict and you presumably don't need to sign an Open Borders agreement to move into another civ's territory, but later on (maybe with certain techs or eras) they turn into the familiar system from previous games. If true, that's a neat feature.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Another piece of inspiration from Endless Legend, then.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Wasn't Pedro II light-haired?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

New thread title imho

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Negrostrike posted:

Wasn't Pedro II light-haired?

Looks like he was light-haired when he was younger, but turned dark around 30.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Reading further about the ships, I'm not terribly surprised. They had a huge international impact when they arrived, but their history afterwards was less than glorious - both were among the ships that mutinied during the Revolt of the Lash, and the crew of the Sao Paolo (the second of the class) subsequently mutinied again in 1924. The only battles either ship were involved in were internal Brazilian revolts - the Tenente revolts in 1922 and the Constitutionalist Revolution in 1934.

Both ships nominally took part in the First and Second World Wars, but didn't do anything noteworthy: they were offered to the British during WW1 but the British declined due to the ships' poor condition and lack of modern fire control systems. Both were top of the line warships among the most powerful in the world when they were launched, but were outdated by the time Brazil entered WW1 and hadn't been maintained well or modernized. They both then served as harbor guard ships during WW2 and never fired a shot in anger.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 3, 2016

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Kalko posted:

The CF thread pointed out that in the video Brazil has dashed borders in one part and solid lines later on. Apparently this is because in the early game borders are less strict and you presumably don't need to sign an Open Borders agreement to move into another civ's territory, but later on (maybe with certain techs or eras) they turn into the familiar system from previous games. If true, that's a neat feature.
Gonna make it a lot tougher to block off chokepoints in the early game.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Kalko posted:

Yea that was confirmed at some point. It's a good way of making forward settling less obnoxious and exploration easier.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

You guys were gonna buy a third, more powerful battleship but suffered a burst bubble and couldn't afford it, so it (ultimately) ended up with the Brits.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Man. There is no way they are gonna make a better war theme for Brazil.I declare war on them on every single game just to listen to that song, sometimes the war was past over and I declare war again.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Kurtofan posted:

The GP screens

I'm really liking the look of this. Giving GPs unique abilities is a superb idea - I never even look at the names of my GPs but this will change that and really add to the storytelling of the game. I also like that players will compete for GPs. The GP system was very isolated in Civ5 and this new system will bring in some aspect of brinksmanship (sort of - there's probably a better term) as each player debates whether to spend a huge amount of gold on a GP they really want, or wait for it to fall in price and take the risk another player will do so instead.

My only concern is that, if GP points and gold are 1-for-1, then it will pay off to just focus on gold production across your empire instead of accumulating GP points, since gold is infinitely more versatile.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Another piece of inspiration from Endless Legend, then.

Its funny how much "inspiration" you can take from a competitors title without acknowledging it at all. Even a cursory "We looked at recent titles in the 4x genre and saw a lot of innovation and it made sense to translate that into Civ" would be nice. As it stands these meet the dev videos where they say "oh we planned this unstacking cities from civ V" just seems cringey.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
That's probably because lawyers get twitchy about that sort of thing, and so everyone errs on the side of caution.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

mitochondritom posted:

Its funny how much "inspiration" you can take from a competitors title without acknowledging it at all. Even a cursory "We looked at recent titles in the 4x genre and saw a lot of innovation and it made sense to translate that into Civ" would be nice. As it stands these meet the dev videos where they say "oh we planned this unstacking cities from civ V" just seems cringey.

Endless legend is a poo poo game so seeing good mechanics ported into a hopefully less poo poo game is good.

Who cares about that kind of bullshit anyway, anyone can dream up features.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
someone hasnt played master of orion

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

mitochondritom posted:

Truly, unstacked cities and porous borders are such esoteric concepts that no one would ever consider them without playing whatever dumb video games you like that happen to feature them.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

It would be great if you could combine "levels" of borders, for example solid borders near your older cities and more porous borders on the fringes of your empire.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Kajeesus posted:

Truly, unstacked cities and porous borders are such esoteric concepts that no one would ever consider them without playing whatever dumb video games you like that happen to feature them.

Right that's why they were in Beyond Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Endless legend had a lot civ mechanics in it, this is just how it goes. Shoulders of giants etc.