Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Capone Blowjob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Okay, this has been bugging the hell out of me; how do you pronounce Bege? Is it beige? Beej? Bayjay? Beejee?

https://youtu.be/3yVw-vdTmF8

Skip to 0:33

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

brainSnakes posted:

I like the idea of Pedro being a mole because that's an intense surprise twist, but there was a pretty ominous panel of some smiley face flowers in the foreground watching Brook and Pedro be snoops, so my vote goes to the fiendish foliage for... gently caress i can't think of an F word for spy. drat it.

Ok, since i'm here making dumb One Piece posts about this kickin' rad story arc, here's my bet.

Pekoms isn't dead, he got eaten by a shark after hiding in his invincible shell. he's going to pull a Yosaku and jump out of the ocean wearing that shark, and he's probably gonna do something badass with the moment like sucker punch Capone Bege.

Shark is going to try to eat him realise he isn't a sweet and spit him out on the beach because these sharks have adapted to solely eat sweets

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

What was with the gratuitous bonney shots.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Do you actually need an answer to that? I should think it pretty obvious why they were there.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

tsob posted:

Do you actually need an answer to that? I should think it pretty obvious why they were there.

ooh ooh
I know

Episode length padding

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Rigged Death Trap posted:

What was with the gratuitous bonney shots.

If I recall that was pretty much out of the comic.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Seeing how nobody ever dies in this comic it's safe to assume Pekoms is in his turtle shell inside a shark belly. He won't lose his turtle shell if he falls in the ocean but he won't be able to move. He'll hang out in the shark belly for a bit like Mr. 3 did in the crocodile.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So... Beh? Her voice just kind of trails off.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Sounded like Bay to me.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Beg. Like a dog begging.. only the e sound is elongated.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The Bonney fanservice is gonna be really awkward if she turns out to actually be a kid.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Since the government wants her, she's probably an old lady or something who recently brick free.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
On the other hand, we know the WG aren't afraid to place bounties on children, especially ones with devil fruits, thanks to Robin.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Pretty big bombshells and revelations in two/four/six words for the next chapter:

-Big Mom's Soul-Soul Devil Fruit (:2spooky:)
-Big Mom's big husband
-Lola confirmed! :woop:

Don't click the above obviously if you don't want to have these things spoiled.

E: Total shot-in-the-dark guess:

What if Big Mom holds a key to obtaining Davy Jones' treasure for Buggy to advance in his development and somehow gets wrangled into Luffy's adventure for no other reason than comedic coincidence; plus Buggy freaking out over having to deal with a Yonkou despite his projected image (because he's a coward)? It makes sense in my headcanon at least with the whole Dutch pirate ghosts and souls theme with Big Mom.

E2: Interesting theory on Oro Jackson:

"What if she have "lives" ? When she is dead or very close to death, she can use accumulated lifespan to recover."

Big Mom's abilities would be hilariously broken if it means either saying "nope, you're dead now" and swipes a soul with all the life in it instead of just partially for an insta-win button on the offensive or automatic indefinite restoration to full health even when beaten to death based on burning a long-accumulated supply of souls, kind of like a mix between Kaidou's shadow-collection and Crocodile's sand swipe desiccation move he used in Impel Down. Very intriguing!! :D

E3: I can't imagine anything other than this scenario playing out now:

-Straw Hats captured and face down Big Mom
-Brooke finds out about Big Mom's abilities and tries to be clever using his own soul powers to counter Big Mom
-Big Mom steals Brooke's soul, "killing" him for now, leading to a horrified and then ultimately supremely pissed Luffy motivated to kick Big Mom's rear end from here to the afterlife in a battle to get Brooke's soul back/rescue Sanji/revenge on whatever else Big Mom does to hurt his nakama, etc etc

Edit: vvvvv noted, my bad, throwing everything under spoiler tags. Click at your own risk.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Aug 3, 2016

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

don't loving discuss the spoilers for a new chapter without spoiler tags around literally everything

jesus christ we're now at the point where reading the chapter the hour it comes out isnt even protection enough

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG-RqoaoGfo

Only two episode in the boxset will feature Ace breathing

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Sinners Sandwich posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG-RqoaoGfo

Only two episode in the boxset will feature Ace breathing

What do you mean? did they take out a lot of the filler?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sub Harrison posted:

Seeing how nobody ever dies in this comic it's safe to assume Pekoms is in his turtle shell inside a shark belly. He won't lose his turtle shell if he falls in the ocean but he won't be able to move. He'll hang out in the shark belly for a bit like Mr. 3 did in the crocodile.

How are all of you coming up with these wacky shark theories and none of you have stumbled on the most obvious outcome of sharks in the water?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

wanna be friends with dem sharks

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
The happiest loving sharks. I love them.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
how about if you want spoilers you go to the zillion other places that have them and not post them here

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009
It's out -> http://mangastream.com/r/one_piece/835/3580/1

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
poo poo be crazy in Wholecake Land.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

First thing I thought of after reading this chapter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdZCLJDmWgI&t=24s

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

This chapter's got me all like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ5HQSAC7mE

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

This is literally Thriller Bark with pyrovision goggles on and I love it.

Poor Carrot.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

This is literally Thriller Bark with pyrovision goggles on and I love it.

Poor Carrot.

what food will their souls get put into. carrot's will be in a cake, obviously

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Have we seen any of the objects, animals or whatever that Big Mom has put someone's soul in to actually interact meaningfully with anyone, as opposed to cheering, singing songs or whatever? I'm just considering that if she's ever carted off following a defeat all of them would die since she wouldn't be around to reup them, and that seems pretty horrible. Best I can think of is that alligator in the river being kind of nice by pointing out that it had a bridge or something a few chapters ago. Which would seem to indicate they're capable of thought, conversation and so on.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I'm assuming that at the end of her life the souls will fly back to their owners. This makes me wonder if she can use people's souls to lengthen her own life.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I'm assuming that at the end of her life the souls will fly back to their owners. This makes me wonder if she can use people's souls to lengthen her own life.

i disagree entirely i don't think it works like the shadows at all, they just give up certain amount of "life energy" that the other objects use to come to life

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
do the trees then become citizens and have to give up some life as well?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I wonder what age a person has to start it at. You can't really do it to a 6 month old, since they'd have no way to understand or agree even if they could. So do the parents agree on their part? Do they give up double rations in their babies place? Does she just not start till a specific age? The physics of this plot device intrigue me more than they should.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

tsob posted:

I wonder what age a person has to start it at. You can't really do it to a 6 month old, since they'd have no way to understand or agree even if they could. So do the parents agree on their part? Do they give up double rations in their babies place? Does she just not start till a specific age? The physics of this plot device intrigue me more than they should.

They don't really need to agree. As we have seen her simply take all of one of her son's life.

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013

tsob posted:

Have we seen any of the objects, animals or whatever that Big Mom has put someone's soul in to actually interact meaningfully with anyone, as opposed to cheering, singing songs or whatever? I'm just considering that if she's ever carted off following a defeat all of them would die since she wouldn't be around to reup them, and that seems pretty horrible. Best I can think of is that alligator in the river being kind of nice by pointing out that it had a bridge or something a few chapters ago. Which would seem to indicate they're capable of thought, conversation and so on.

The rabbit guy was probably born this way, at least Carrot said he is not a mink.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Allowing people to agree or leave is probably just a nice gesture. I'm sure that she could take 100% without consent if she wanted to (didn't she do that to her one son?). I'm guessing that there is some sort of limitation like the person has to not be moving or something in order to make sure that she isn't unbeatable in a fight.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

MonsterEnvy posted:

They don't really need to agree. As we have seen her simply take all of one of her son's life.

They don't have to, but that's part of the formal procedure her Homies carry out. Which is presumably because if she just took all of everyone's soul then she'd just be killing all the people to animate objects and would still have much the same population, just with no people.

Incidentally, someone should make a pic of Big Mom crying about how she couldn't save even one Homie.

Radish posted:

Allowing people to agree or leave is probably just a nice gesture. I'm sure that she could take 100% without consent if she wanted to (didn't she do that to her one son?). I'm guessing that there is some sort of limitation like the person has to not be moving or something in order to make sure that she isn't unbeatable in a fight.

Her son was running away if I recall, so I doubt it's that. It could be something as simple as willpower though. If you have enough it fails, since you refuse to give up a portion of your life for her or something. Kind of like Luffy telling his shadow to come with him if he wants to be Pirate King. It's kind of a lame solution, but if you turn and run from someone out of terror you don't have willpower, however someone who just stands there and doesn't blink like Luffy would does, so it does kind of work.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah that sounds right.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
All this Soul talk does mean that Brook isn't really a silver bullet against Mom anymore afaict. Brook may not have a true lifespan, but he still has his Soul and that can be taken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

All this Soul talk does mean that Brook isn't really a silver bullet against Mom anymore afaict. Brook may not have a true lifespan, but he still has his Soul and that can be taken.

he's not much of a soul king if he can have his soul stolen.