Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
oh poo poo right i was in like two fantasy leagues lmao

also are they grandfathering in all the players who were literally about to earn residency status or are they just flipping a giant middle finger to everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

they have to wait +2 years

everyone else needs to become a US citizen now

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Imagine that.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

curiousCat posted:

Look at how garbage this was, look at the total points scored against me and mistiya

I can't actually get League to load on my computer right now, which makes sending gifts hard. I'll see if I can't get it done by this weekend.

If I hadn't missed picking Expect up by literally ten minutes the year would have looked a lot different, I'll say that much.

Fantasy isn't as good when there's no way to deal with subs. No one was able to use C9's support and a few other teams had a lot of weird subbing this split. Forgiven was all over the place, Piglet swapping for Fabbby, etc. Most of these swaps were decided post lock in too, so there was no way to react to them.

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer

mistaya posted:

I can't actually get League to load on my computer right now, which makes sending gifts hard. I'll see if I can't get it done by this weekend.

If I hadn't missed picking Expect up by literally ten minutes the year would have looked a lot different, I'll say that much.

Fantasy isn't as good when there's no way to deal with subs. No one was able to use C9's support and a few other teams had a lot of weird subbing this split. Forgiven was all over the place, Piglet swapping for Fabbby, etc. Most of these swaps were decided post lock in too, so there was no way to react to them.

If you base the score on average points per game, the C9 scenario of alternating players works as long as they play at least one game each week.

I think that this split was a little better than last split in terms of players randomly getting subbed out... of course it doesn't help that Riot's roster alerts are inconsistent and sometimes just flat-out wrong (there was one week where they announced Hard as starting ADC for FOX).

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

mistaya posted:

That's why I prefer Alpha Draft, but there's no way for us (As goons) to set up a league for a season. It's on a week-by-week basis, and everyone can share picks BUT it counts all subs of the same position as the same points. It was pretty useful for Korean teams who had subs in every lane.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

rabidsquid posted:

i genuinely feel like i am losing my mind with how often i have to type the phrase "small sample size" into this thread.

Playoff analysis:

All players and teams will regress to the mean and something about Pythagorean win expectancy

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

mistaya posted:

How many people were in your league? I suspect the sub problem could be mitigated if you could just pick more quality players by running less people in the league.

As for the Expect situation, that's just fantasy sport life. You have to be the most vigilant player in your league if you want the breakout stars.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Lmao riot's new regional policy is one of the worst I could dream of. How the gently caress have they not figured this poo poo out after half a decade?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

what's interesting and also never brought up in these discussions is that teams don't JUST blindly import korean players because they're korean, but they're frequently the cheapest players you can acquire because the base pay level in LCK is so terrible.

teams are still gonna import random koreans because it's the cheapest option and won't give a gently caress if they can't naturalize sonstar or w/e

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Now that the dream is over, I wonder how many Korean players will go back to LCK and put together super teams and attempt to win World's or if the allure of streamer babes and high income is too good and they just stay in semi-retirement forever.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

none of them are going to go back to LCK

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

also you're a loving idiot if you think someone wanting to be paid fair wages is "in retirement." its weird that a bunch of players dont think about glorious e-honor of trying to win lck.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Why are LCK wages so relatively low anyways? Like I can't really fathom an explanation for it. Is it just because the region is so competitive there's always another 17 year old superkid waiting to take your roster spot or something? It seems like all top Korean players should take high offers from anyone after a big season.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

There are actually very few sponsors in LCK. People will tell you this has something to do with sister teams (because people are still upset about the format change and those teams being gone) and it sort of does, but actually sister teams made it so that sponsors didn't want to invest in any of the non big two orgs because it was sort of seen as pointless. A lot of sponsors still feel this way but hopefully some are going to start coming back around, most of them just totally wrote off the idea of getting involved in league tho. This was why Afreeca went so long without a single sponsor despite being a fairly promising team with a few interesting pieces.

Riot killing the old OGN format was almost definitely not totally altruistic, but they did it so that maybe sponsors would show up for other teams and you don't end up in a situation where a team with great scouts and no money like Incredible Miracle just becomes a literal feeder team for the very few orgs with cash. And of course the fact that only a very few orgs have cash means they don't really have to spend much since it's not like you're getting a big payday from one of the other teams.

Having the deepest and most competitive solo queue to pull cheap new players from is also a factor, yeah. At least none of the low tier LCK teams are just feeders anymore. The IM thing was always pretty sad.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Jin Air never fails to disappoint, does it?

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Aug 3, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Aumanor posted:

Expectation just leads to disappointment.

And also for the LZIM fans (of which i am sure there are none here), expession leads to disappointment.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
so who is everyone's NA/ EU mvp? i guess it has to be bjerg or dl for NA and trick for EU. mikyx and biofrost will easily grab the rookie awards.

i was also trying to think of who i'd choose for the all star team but man eu's top lane is in a pretty dire state at the moment..

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

Expectation just leads to disappointment.

And also for the LZIM fans (of which i am sure there are none here), expession leads to disappointment.

No but seriously, that Baron fight was soul-crushing.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I've been watching only for the last twenty minutes of this SKT-JAG game 3 but lol, it's such a ridiculous game

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Omnikin posted:

I've been watching only for the last twenty minutes of this SKT-JAG game 3 but lol, it's such a ridiculous game

Sweet keeps dying in the worst places and times.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
xPee

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
TBF you could say that for just about everyone and everything that's happened so far. Worst possible times.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Omnikin posted:

TBF you could say that for just about everyone and everything that's happened so far. Worst possible times.

I still blame Sweet.

E: What the gently caress? I can't rewind the youtube stream.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Aumanor posted:

Sweet keeps dying in the worst places and times.

I haven't been impressed by sweet at all since he started playing this split

I didn't realize how tight the fight between afreeca and MVP is for the final playoff spot. I'd love MVP to 2-0 ROX and get into the playoffs as an almost all rookie team their first split in

Kashuno fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Aug 3, 2016

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Lovechop posted:

so who is everyone's NA/ EU mvp? i guess it has to be bjerg or dl for NA and trick for EU. mikyx and biofrost will easily grab the rookie awards.

i was also trying to think of who i'd choose for the all star team but man eu's top lane is in a pretty dire state at the moment..

best EU top lane: gamsu

pulled so much attention even his own team wanted him dead

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Aumanor posted:

That series was incredible and hilarious and pretty much League at its messy best.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Sexpansion posted:

That series was incredible and hilarious and pretty much League at its messy best.

It sure was great, but when I wrote that they had just thrown the first game at Baron. I was expecting a tilt that would shift the axis of the entire planet as SKT stomped them for an easy 2-0, rather than the total clusterfuck this turned out to be. I didn't even see most of the second game, because at about 20 minutes it looked like SKT had already gained the advantge on a comp that was going to outscale JAG. Turned it back on around when the second match was supposed to start and lo and behold, it's still not over.
Still, JAG disappoints again. But SKT is looking really mortal.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
SKT doesn't have to care about the JAG game. They can take this time to take things lightly and get a break while not actually on break. Playoffs will probably go like this:

Afreeca loses to Samsung. This is the one I am least sure about, as SSG has not looked good lately.
Samsung loses to KT. If SSG manages to win, KT looks good and will easily take it. If vs Afreeca it could go either way.
KT loses to SKT. SKT is good.
ROX loses to SKT. Because for some reason they have a mental roadblock.

SKT looks bad in groups at worlds, wins it all, faker accepts that he has done all there is to do and retires.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Kashuno posted:

SKT doesn't have to care about the JAG game. They can take this time to take things lightly and get a break while not actually on break. Playoffs will probably go like this:

Afreeca loses to Samsung. This is the one I am least sure about, as SSG has not looked good lately.
Samsung loses to KT. If SSG manages to win, KT looks good and will easily take it. If vs Afreeca it could go either way.
KT loses to SKT. SKT is good.
ROX loses to SKT. Because for some reason they have a mental roadblock.

SKT looks bad in groups at worlds, wins it all, faker accepts that he has done all there is to do and retires.

I totally agree with your first point - SKT has a history of taking things a little easy then really turning it on in playoffs. There's a reason they made ROX look pedestrian in playoffs last year even though ROX looked like the far better team all split. A lot of it is coaching, but also, SKT knows how good they are.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I don't know what it is about ROX this split. They're ridiculously good and have been styling on basically everyone, but if you asked me for one memorable Rox game this split I can't remember a single memorable moment.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Kashuno posted:

I don't know what it is about ROX this split. They're ridiculously good and have been styling on basically everyone, but if you asked me for one memorable Rox game this split I can't remember a single memorable moment.

For an elite team, they tend to make a lot of goofy mistakes in the early game, get behind, and then just slowly roll over their opponents like a Zamboni. I don't really have any way to explain it.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
imagine the worlds group that could happen if skt only second seed, you could have SKT / TSM / G2 (ty msi) / CN #3 team :gonk:

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
The highlight of the entire stream was round 42nd minute of the second game, the teamfight in mid. SKT goes 3 for 0, starts chasing Trace and Pilot and then Trace Es Wolf and ults Faker. Anivia dies, Trundle dies, E bounces to Blank, Nidalee dies, E bounces to Bang and if the voidlings hadn't timed out he would've died, even through the Maw shield. From full health. Heck, Duke was low enough that if it bounced to him instead of to Jhin it probably would've been an ace.
Rip Malzahar, you were too beautiful for this flawed world.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 3, 2016

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
nvm

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
forg1ven post about origen is p interesting

quote:

Thanks to sOAZ and Xpeke (and only them) i had a good opinion of the team during my time in OG. For good or worse, life brought me to the point where I was the final part to OG's demise : they went from Worlds semi-finalists to playing in the relegation tournament.
Once again it shows me that big happy families never work on the longterm in E-sports, as I've experienced in every team i've been in and every team i've known about. Even if i have a good opinion of players and their past accomplishment, it doesn't mean they do not share their part of the blame.
The biggest mistake was to chose the player who poisoned the environment of the team and broke apart their practice over the one with the most drive for victory and improvement.
With me out of the team they had no primary or secondary carry threat aside toplane and so it was inevitable that the team would crumble.
Good luck in the relegation tournament OG.

i'd imagine it was amazing loving everything up

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Is Vander the guy who broke practice and poisoned the environment?

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Forgiven is either talking poo poo about Amazing, Hybrid, or PowerOfEvil but it's not clear from his post. I'm going to guess it's actually PowerOfEvil but only on the basis of all the times they immediately played better when they subbed him out of the lineup before they had to flip Xpeke to ADC.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Forgiven is notoriously hard to get along with, and hates when people don't practice as hard as he does which baffles me as to why he'd get along with SoaZ who never seems to do anything unless he's at World's.

Amazing or PoE are probably the ones making GBS threads the bed in this case though, Hybrid is probably fine and it's a drat shame he was picked up by the sinking ship OG after doing so well in G2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

hybrid and steelback need to join forces

• Locked thread