Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Number Munchers was my jam in 4th grade cuz math is pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A Sometimes Food posted:

Are Head Lander or Song of the Deep any good? Looking for a new 2D action adventure game.

Song of the Deep is very good, but it's also kind of really slow and chill and atmospheric so make sure you're into that. I thought there was a demo for the PC version?

Telltale Batman trip report: it's good. Reminds me a lot of The Wolf Among Us, which is a good thing.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Well I bought Overwatch! When I played the beta my favourite character to be was Mercy because I love healing. I also had some fun with Tracer. Now to wait for it to install.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I like how Oregon Trail is becoming a genre now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vqDM3PNmZQ

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Quest For Glory II posted:

mankind divided will have "aug lives matter" in it this will go great

they didnt even use correct grammar
That's pretty tasteless. By which I mean the copy-pasted Zaha Hadid skyscrapers in the background. The Russians would never let Saint Basil's Cathedral be visually dominated like that, immersion ruined.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
30 flights of what the gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_IVvhSX2tY

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Will it last longer than 5 minutes

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

A Sometimes Food posted:

Are Head Lander or Song of the Deep any good? Looking for a new 2D action adventure game.

Song of the Deep is heavily flawed but the basics are good enough that I say it's worth playing over all. The main problem with the game is the combat isn't great and it forces you to do it way too much. The bosses are also not very good but there's also only like two of them. The actual exploration is really cool and chill and the abilities you get to explore with are also cool. The control takes some getting used to but once you get used to it, it's fine and there's only a few sections where it feels like it asks too much of you. In general the game has a good atmosphere and while it's not amazing, if you like the genre it will do quite well.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Just played my first Overwatch game since the beta, was Mercy, and got 4 commendations at the end because no one on our team died :D Holy awesome!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

FirstAidKite posted:

Apparently it's like 5 hours?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

It's weird how in the past couple years the poles have flipped and now indie games are more predictable than AAA games.

e: which isn't to say they're bad games, but the subject matter is gettin stale

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Golden Goat posted:

All Monks, All the time.

Four thieves if you want a ball grindingly hard first half of the game and then every enemy just gets ripped to shreds after the class upgrades. Make sure to not miss/sell the Healing Staves and Helmets!

Edit: alternatively three thieves and a white mage if you're a spineless wiener.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Aug 3, 2016

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Level 3 now and good lord this is a heck of a lot of fun. It's weird that training against AI still puts you onto an online game. I wanted to practice against bots so I wouldn't embarrass my team mates. Once I found out I would anyway, I just played regular matches.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

precision posted:

It's weird how in the past couple years the poles have flipped and now indie games are more predictable than AAA games.

e: which isn't to say they're bad games, but the subject matter is gettin stale

I think there is probably just as much innovation in the indie space as there was three years ago, there's just a lot more derivative work in addition to that. I have heard mixed things about Quadrilateral Cowboy, but I know that it is a first person heist game where the gimmick/gameplay is that you've gotta hack everything by just learning the programming language the game is built in, and it's built around things like trying to predict how long it'll take you to run into a room and grab a thing and run back out again, and then programming the laser to turn off for that specific duration of time, etc etc. And that seems like a really interesting idea! And the triple A equivalent is like, Watch_dogs, where you hide behind cover and press X to hack context specific objects.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Headlander and song of the deep are both probably ok but i dont think either is a must buy based on what ive seen

axleblaze posted:

Song of the Deep is heavily flawed but the basics are good enough that I say it's worth playing over all. The main problem with the game is the combat isn't great and it forces you to do it way too much. The bosses are also not very good but there's also only like two of them. The actual exploration is really cool and chill and the abilities you get to explore with are also cool. The control takes some getting used to but once you get used to it, it's fine and there's only a few sections where it feels like it asks too much of you. In general the game has a good atmosphere and while it's not amazing, if you like the genre it will do quite well.

precision posted:

Song of the Deep is very good, but it's also kind of really slow and chill and atmospheric so make sure you're into that. I thought there was a demo for the PC version?

Telltale Batman trip report: it's good. Reminds me a lot of The Wolf Among Us, which is a good thing.

Ah cool, was not aware of the demo as I was gonna get it on ps4, I'll give that a go first. That does sound like my kind of thing though, I'm fine with awkward combat if there's good other stuff usually. See all the Fallout games and Alpha Protocol.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

VideoGames posted:

Level 3 now and good lord this is a heck of a lot of fun. It's weird that training against AI still puts you onto an online game. I wanted to practice against bots so I wouldn't embarrass my team mates. Once I found out I would anyway, I just played regular matches.

welcome to a great game, friend. play whatever you want and have fun because it's the same legit crystalline joy I got from messing around in TF2 back in college. personally I never tried the VS AI mode, I don't know if it gives you the same amount of experience per match or not.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

MinibarMatchman posted:

welcome to a great game, friend. play whatever you want and have fun because it's the same legit crystalline joy I got from messing around in TF2 back in college. personally I never tried the VS AI mode, I don't know if it gives you the same amount of experience per match or not.

Thank you! I have roughly 2600 hours in TF2 and the entire reason I am now playing overwatch is because of the most recent TF2 update. It is definitely hitting the same goofy fun nerve that TF2 used to hit. I'm discovering that my favourite people to play as are Mercy, Tracer, Pharah and Junkrat.

Mercy most of all!

I love healing classes and I don't feel as much pressure as Mercy as I do playing Medic.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I played through the Batman Telltale game last night, and I'm here to say that it's pretty good. I don't know everything about the Batman canon, but there's a little Batman: Year One, with Gordon being a lieutenant and several villains not existing or being introduced. Every time Telltale releases a new series, they demonstrate how they've grown from the previous iteration. In this case, it's obvious from the first action/combat scene. Button prompts aren't in static locations and, aside from one or two spots, move with the action the way your eye does. Direction prompts are along the general line of motion, and button prompts are next to the thing you're probably already looking at. There are some cases where you need to do two things, like press down and square, but time always seems to slow down some and the two prompts show up as blank circles for a half-second to get you ready for two inputs. There's a new feature called a "finishing blow" that is represented by a bat-symbol in the lower left that fills up as you input the correct action on time. I think this is how the game decides whether you win or lose an encounter, as I missed a few inputs but I never got a game over screen like I have in The Walking Dead. As long as you fill the meter up before the end, you come out on top. I'm not sure what happens if you don't have the finishing blow ready, but I imagine it's just a bad end.

This is the first Batman game I can think of (aside from Arkham City) where you play as Bruce Wayne. He is a central character and you spend a significant time as him interacting with people, playing politics and making appearances. I like that you can very much make your Batman and your Bruce Wayne very, very different characters. The story brings up Thomas and Martha Wayne a lot, and it borders on excessive at times because it felt like I couldn't go thirty minutes without a photograph of the family, or a portrait, or someone bringing up their deaths. I get that it's important, but there were a few scenes where it felt a little over the top.

There's two instances of a "detective mode", one for reconstructing a crime scene and one for planning an attack. Both instances have Batman investigating an element, then putting that element with another to form either a explanation of events or a way to put someone in the hospital. I liked it more than I did in Arkham City or Origins, but it was inoffensive at best and, since this is the first chapter, not very challenging. The crime scene was kind of gruesome, to be honest. Worse than I'd expect in a Batman title. I wouldn't play this (or that particular area, anyway) with a little one watching.

Overall, I think it's a good start, and it didn't crash while playing which is a Telltale first as far as I'm concerned.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Can you make batman seem completely incompetent by flubbing the attack inputs

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

FirstAidKite posted:

You know, I don't think so. I wasn't playing for goofs, so I tried to get the inputs as best I could. There were times that I didn't think I got something in time but Bats still did the cool and good thing. I don't know what would happen if I just put the controller down, but I suspect that things are kind of on rails until the finishing blow segment. I hope later chapters have action sequences with multiple finishing blows so there are more chances for failure. I'm okay with the games being an interactive miniseries, but I can't deny the appeal of having Batman bumble around like this repeated child-loser drugged-up detective:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy44s_de15Y

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

poo poo; I hate these drat birds!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

You know, I don't think so. I wasn't playing for goofs, so I tried to get the inputs as best I could. There were times that I didn't think I got something in time but Bats still did the cool and good thing. I don't know what would happen if I just put the controller down, but I suspect that things are kind of on rails until the finishing blow segment. I hope later chapters have action sequences with multiple finishing blows so there are more chances for failure. I'm okay with the games being an interactive miniseries, but I can't deny the appeal of having Batman bumble around like this repeated child-loser drugged-up detective:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy44s_de15Y

I just want there to be something at least even a tiny bit similar to Batman fumbling around trying to get rid of a bomb in the 66 film

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Maybe loving up enough just slowly transforms the game into the Adam West show. With a complete visual overhaul after you gently caress up enough.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I borrowed Order 1886 from a friend of mine. What a beautiful and terrible game. Visually it's great while the gameplay is one of the most dumbed down aaa+ experiences I've had the misfortune to try. While I always hated them, this is the first time when I felt how outdated the "classic" QTE mechanics as a gaming concept are - this poo poo feels so obsolete at this point like Half-Life 2's physics puzzles, just utterly outdated. Too bad because some weapons were cool like the thermite rifle where you shoot the material with one button and set it on fire with another - they should have built a different cool game around that instead. Also apparently the game ends half-way through the story and the sequel was cancelled. What a waste of time, I'm glad I didn't pay for it.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Every time I hear someone talk about The Order 1886 they mention how cool the thermite gun is. I haven't played 1886 but I completely agree that a game centered around a gun that shoots a gas that needs to be ignited has crazy potential.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, you get to use it for a whole 30 minutes out of the game. I guess that's like 1/6 of it though.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

LawfulWaffle posted:

Every time I hear someone talk about The Order 1886 they mention how cool the thermite gun is. I haven't played 1886 but I completely agree that a game centered around a gun that shoots a gas that needs to be ignited has crazy potential.
There's also a remotely detonated sticky grenade launcher where you can fire up to 4 grenades before detonating them. Overall 2-button weapons are great when properly made, a game designed around them could be cool.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Red Bones posted:

I think there is probably just as much innovation in the indie space as there was three years ago, there's just a lot more derivative work in addition to that. I have heard mixed things about Quadrilateral Cowboy, but I know that it is a first person heist game where the gimmick/gameplay is that you've gotta hack everything by just learning the programming language the game is built in, and it's built around things like trying to predict how long it'll take you to run into a room and grab a thing and run back out again, and then programming the laser to turn off for that specific duration of time, etc etc. And that seems like a really interesting idea! And the triple A equivalent is like, Watch_dogs, where you hide behind cover and press X to hack context specific objects.

Fake programming games are basically their own indie subgenre now, though. TIS-100 or Human Resource Machine already exist and cost 1/2 - 1/3rd as much, Quadrilateral Cowboy just has cliche quirky indie graphics and story so it's getting more attention.

Magic Circle even beat it to the punch on that front as well, and was much more original to boot.

LawfulWaffle posted:

The gas can from Postal 2 in aerosol form :circlefap:

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 3, 2016

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

FirstAidKite posted:

There's a little meter shaped like bat symbol in the lower left corner that fills up as you hit QTEs correctly. I always managed to fill it, but I assume that if you didn't there was some kind of fail state. There were definitely cases where I didn't hit the buttons right and batman still punched the dude, an others where it did reflect that I screwed up, so I guess it's just gonna be weird like that.

Otherwise I really enjoyed it! It's slotting itself in a weird halfway zone between killing dudes batman and violently-non-violent batman, but it was still refreshing to know that you can smash a dude's head through a table and he wouldn't survive just because he had to. The Bruce Wane stuff was solid telltaleing, with a bunch of interesting situations to bullshit your way through, and it makes the batman sequences feel way more interesting in contrast. There's a couple interesting angles that I hope they take, and while I expect they won't I'll probably still enjoy it

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Holy poo poo, the animus entries in Black Flag and Rogue are actually readable because they didn't put Shaun's lovely comedy in every single paragraph.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 3, 2016

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
is there a better game designer than Sakurai? the guy is really good at presenting mechanics and making his things feel very gamey and fun and simple to get into but still having lots of fiddly bits.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

FirstAidKite posted:

It took me about 4 hours to go through the campaign, but IMO that's forgivable considering it's a one-man dev effort and it has mod support

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

PBS Newshour posted:

is there a better game designer than Sakurai? the guy is really good at presenting mechanics and making his things feel very gamey and fun and simple to get into but still having lots of fiddly bits.

listening to vlambeer talk about creating nuclear throne is interesting, and good

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

PBS Newshour posted:

he did meteos so he's probably god

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Guy Mann posted:

Fake programming games are basically their own indie subgenre now, though. TIS-100 or Human Resource Machine already exist and cost 1/2 - 1/3rd as much, Quadrilateral Cowboy just has cliche quirky indie graphics and story so it's getting more attention.

I don't really think you can compare them, though - QC's programming doesn't go beyond simple scripting, and the laptop is mostly used to control the other tools you're given

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

PBS Newshour posted:

Sakurai is a good game designer but sometimes I feel like he gets a bit full of himself in regards to how he reacts to people playing his games in a way he doesn't intend.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

PBS Newshour posted:

Sakurai is the best game designer there ever was and he owns nerds incredibly hard all the time, it's great

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I had to look up the name but WOW!

:swoon:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

his arms are going to fall off in a few years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

I had to look up the name but WOW!

:swoon:

I feel like there's a Picture of Masahiro Sakurai situation going on

somewhere in a dusty attic there's a picture of an old man with gnarled hands that look like tree branches

• Locked thread