Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Please god, let Trump start a war sitting members of the House and Senate.

Nothing would warm the cockles of my cold, dead liberal heart like seeing Paul Ryan get primaried.

You really want someone Trump endorses over stereotypical republican who constantly gets clowned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"Glass the Middle East" is a fairly significant opinion in American politics.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

lynch_69 posted:

Give him a week

I was catching up on the thread and on page 28-29 someone said something like "If he insults a kid that's it." and at the time it was a few hours away from the incident in Ashburn with the baby. Give him 24 hours max.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Radish posted:

I feel like we are living in the Dead Zone movie but Trump is both Martin Sheen and Christopher Walken's characters.

I was just about to say, Trump really is a real life Stillman.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I think even the most hardcore troop isn't pro nuke. Like, yeah we could probably nuke anyone not a nuclear power and not get nuked back but I know there would be consequences I just can't imagine what they'd be.

You do realise that even if one nuclear weapon detonates, it's likely the world will enter nuclear winter, yes?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

You really want someone Trump endorses over stereotypical republican who constantly gets clowned?

Paul Ryan getting primaried by some nutbag would likely end in us getting that house seat, but also yes watching the sitting Speaker of the House get tossed out on his rear end by his own party would be worth having one more rear end in a top hat in the house.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Radish posted:

I feel like we are living in the Dead Zone movie but Trump is both Martin Sheen and Christopher Walken's characters.

How is he Christopher Walken character?

Walken actually had foresight, a conscience, and self awareness.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Um...I could be mistaken, but I swear to Jebus I heard Trump say that line about nukes at some point before?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

CelestialScribe posted:

You do realise that even if one nuclear weapon detonates, it's likely the world will enter nuclear winter, yes?

Wait really? I thought nuclear winter was the result of many of them blocking the sun. Why would just one do it? Why didn't it happen when we dropped two in a day?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

CelestialScribe posted:

Yeah but global warming would negate it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Gravel Gravy posted:

How is he Christopher Walken character?

Walken actually had foresight, a conscience, and self awareness.

because he's loving himself over preemptively instead of waiting until getting elected to go full crazy.

Trump is unintentionally saving the world from himself.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Wait really? I thought nuclear winter was the result of many of them blocking the sun. Why would just one do it? Why didn't it happen when we dropped two in a day?

He's saying that there are almost no scenarios where one bomb set off by the US isn't followed up with WWIII.

* I suppose it's possible that he's just wrong

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Radish posted:

because he's loving himself over preemptively instead of waiting until getting elected to go full crazy.

lol

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

CelestialScribe posted:

I'm serious, you need professional mental help if these thoughts are enough of a concern that you actively worry about them on a daily basis. Donald Trump isn't going to be President, he will not be in control of our nuclear arsenal, the world will not end from nuclear winter.

Please :therapy:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

CelestialScribe posted:

No, unless you detonated it on a Mt Everest made of old tires or something. It would be bad, but it would not be nuclear winter bad.

Whether a full on exchange would cause one is itself a hotly debated issue but I think the consensus is that it would not be the detonations themselves as much as the thousands of burning cities spewing particulate that would cause climate change.

Edit: If you meant "one detonation leads to a full nuclear exchange which leads to a nuclear winter" then take your time and type the whole sequence.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

maybe nuclear winter is Trump's global warming plan

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Radish posted:

Trump is unintentionally saving the world from himself.

Oh. Unfortunate for Trump that babies won't attend future rallies

Dirt
May 26, 2003

straight up brolic posted:

The highest energy solution possible!

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Paul Ryan getting primaried by some nutbag would likely end in us getting that house seat, but also yes watching the sitting Speaker of the House get tossed out on his rear end by his own party would be worth having one more rear end in a top hat in the house.

Having Cantor and Ryan in close succession be kicked out by the tea party will either make everyone left kowtow even harder, or will make them try to jettison the tea party because they're incorrigibly difficult to work with

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Night10194 posted:

I was just about to say, Trump really is a real life Stillman.

Not to mention he showed yesterday he'd have no compunction using a baby as a body shield.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Gravel Gravy posted:

Oh. Unfortunate for Trump that babies won't attend future rallies

Hahaha

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

straight up brolic posted:

Just saving his beachfront properties.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Having Cantor and Ryan in close succession be kicked out by the tea party will either make everyone left kowtow even harder, or will make them try to jettison the tea party because they're incorrigibly difficult to work with

Judging by Renice apparently loosing his poo poo on Trump aides last night/this morning over it...

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Antti posted:

No, unless you detonated it on a Mt Everest made of old tires or something. It would be bad, but it would not be nuclear winter bad.

Whether a full on exchange would cause one is itself a hotly debated issue but I think the consensus is that it would not be the detonations themselves as much as the thousands of burning cities spewing particulate that would cause climate change.

Edit: If you meant "one detonation leads to a full nuclear exchange which leads to a nuclear winter" then take your time and type the whole sequence.

My understanding was that one detonation of a modern nuclear weapon - due to their immense power - would result in such large amounts of radiation it would eventually cover the entire planet.

*Extremely* happy to be told I'm wrong.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

CelestialScribe posted:

My understanding was that one detonation of a modern nuclear weapon - due to their immense power - would result in such large amounts of radiation it would eventually cover the entire planet.

Both the US and Soviets detonated bombs much more powerful than anything in anyone's current arsenal many times and we're not all dead.

Edit: The W88s we use in out ICBMs have a yield of 0.5 MT. The US tested a number of multiple megaton (up tp 15, USSR up to 50) through the 70's.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 3, 2016

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Russia set off a 50 megaton bomb once and we're fine, and that was an experimental device much larger than any currently in anyone's arsenal. One nuke won't do it.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/Khanoisseur/status/760802081347399680

:stare:

granted, those are old tweets, but at least one of them is still up.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsar_Bomba

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

CelestialScribe posted:

the bomb from ender's game was fiction, yes

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

CelestialScribe posted:

You know we've tested hydrogen bombs right?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I guess nuclear bomb trolling is better than Trumps gonna win trolling.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

How could the GOP purge the Tea Party? They are deeply entrenched and loved by their electorates. It seems like the chance to stop them sailed.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

zoux posted:

I guess nuclear bomb trolling is better than Trumps gonna win trolling.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arrgytehpirate posted:

How could the GOP purge the Tea Party? They are deeply entrenched and loved by their electorates. It seems like the chance to stop them sailed.

Look at KS. 11 hardcore conservatives just got primaried by moderates because of the disaster of the state's fiscal policy.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

CelestialScribe posted:

There would be radiation all over the place, sure, but radiation doesn't cause global cooling.

A more realistic threat scenario involving one device is a terror attack. The city they target is toast and depending on the geography there will be a moderate to large amount of radioactive fallout, which will be spread by the prevailing winds, but the effect on climate would be at most on the scale of the Icelandic volcano eruption that grounded planes in Europe a few years ago. It will also be a smaller explosion than from an ICBM unless the terrorists got an ICBM, which usually have multiple warheads.

One city getting hit would also mean there would be a some sort of effort to eventually control and put out the fire. For global climate effects you need a lot of cities burning out.

Still, we don't want nuclear detonations anywhere at any time

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Arrgytehpirate posted:

It did. Nuclear winter was why the Cold War was so cold.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Wait did you really think one nuke would end the world? Dude we've detonated dozens of nukes in Nevada and it's fine. No nuke arzying please

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Wait did you really think one nuke would end the world? Dude we've detonated dozens of nukes in Nevada and it's fine. No nuke arzying please

Nevada is anything but fine though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Varam posted:

It did. Nuclear winter was why the Cold War was so cold.

Good skiiing though, so there's pros and cons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Whoop de doo. GOP may turn on Trump. That will do nothing except embolden Trump supporters since it adds to his Anti-Establishment credentials.

• Locked thread