Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

learnincurve posted:

"da Silva" One of the Sennas?

80% of Brazilians are called da Silva.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
50% of them have another persons indentity.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Williams want Button next year

Given McLaren's improvements, Honda's promises that they will fix the engine next year, I can see why Button would want to try to stay. However, Ron wants to get Stoffel in the seat and even if Button stayed, Nando is going to win the 2017 WDC anyways.

I think Button should go to Williams and then spend all of his time putting the moves on Claire.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

andyf posted:

Lewis in his post-race interview seemed to confirm two stage clutches.

Channel 4's David Coulthard (tm) claimed on the overhead replay shot of the start that Rosberg left a couple black lines during his run down to turn 1, suggesting he did in fact kick it into power oversteer, which then caused a gearbox desync (?) leading to a slow shift from 2nd to 3rd.

The gearbox sync thing is something I'm unfamiliar about, I heard either Max or Vettel complaining they were losing sync during either a practice or qualifying session this or last race. Anyone any detail on how the current-gen gearboxes work? Are they dual clutch systems or single clutch systems which ram gears into place violently (e.g. ish~ lambo aventador ISR boxes) ? The latter sounds like it might need some fancy monitoring to make sure it doesn't ram the next gear in at the wrong time, but I'm not sure why a dual clutch system would have a sync issue, unless it's a super-refined predictive system based on when it thinks you're gonna shift and gets it set up perfectly.

This answer isn't canonical, because I'm only familiar with one particular system. The current gearboxes are single clutch as mandated in the rules but can have two selector barrels, one selecting odd gears and the other selecting evens. This allows you to (very temporarily!) have two gears engaged at once during upshits. When you select the higher gear it starts over-driving the cluster, releasing the dog teeth and allowing you to disengage the lower gear.

There is a ton of trick sensor and electronic gubbins that I can't begin to explain that makes it work, but mechanically it's fairly simple and elegant.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
What do you mean by over-driving in that context?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overdrive_(mechanics)

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

MustardFacial posted:

Williams want Button next year

Given McLaren's improvements, Honda's promises that they will fix the engine next year, I can see why Button would want to try to stay. However, Ron wants to get Stoffel in the seat and even if Button stayed, Nando is going to win the 2017 WDC anyways.

I think Button should go to Williams and then spend all of his time putting the moves on Claire.

I hope he gets one more year with McLaren and their updated car. With all the changes coming, having two very experienced drivers giving feedback on the new car would be an asset to McLaren, I think. Get Stoffel in the seat the following year.

He's my wife's favorite driver and an all-around classy guy, I'd like to see him finish his career in a good car even if he doesn't get another WDC. Williams just seems like such a mess and I don't know if they'll be able to pull it together over the next year or so.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

So when you shift up into the higher gear the mainshaft will begin turning faster than it was in the lower gear. The mainshaft starts driving the dog ring off the lower gear, letting the dog ring disengage from the lower gear before the dog teeth come whipping round and crashing into it.

I'm quite tired and really need to draw a picture for this to make sense, but there's a better explanation about 1/3rd the way down this page: http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/gearbox.html

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wuffles posted:

I hope he gets one more year with McLaren and their updated car. With all the changes coming, having two very experienced drivers giving feedback on the new car would be an asset to McLaren, I think. Get Stoffel in the seat the following year.

He's my wife's favorite driver and an all-around classy guy, I'd like to see him finish his career in a good car even if he doesn't get another WDC. Williams just seems like such a mess and I don't know if they'll be able to pull it together over the next year or so.

Vandoorne is not going to want to wait anymore. Super Formula is fine for the Japanese F3 Graduates and Veterans but it's not a place for a driver of his age and calibre.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

wuffles posted:

Button... all-around classy guy

Given what happened with Jessica thats not true. He is an amazing driver and a role model in many ways, but he has his faults.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

wuffles posted:

Stoffel has said if he is not in a McLaren by next year then he's moving on. Now I don't know if he would be willing to delay that if McLaren get him Rio's seat at Manor so he's at least in F1, but even if he would Boullier has made it clear a bunch of times that he doesn't like Jenson and I imagine he'd be doing his best to push him out.

wuffles posted:

Williams just seems like such a mess and I don't know if they'll be able to pull it together over the next year or so.

That's what everyone said about them in 2013, then in 2014 they built a 3rd place car. Williams has it in them to build fast cars still, I they've hit a bit of a slump recently because:
1) funding problems delaying upgrades 2) when the upgrades do come they don't work as well as they hoped* 3) I think everyone is working on the 2017 car now. So they're trying to doing the best with what they can.

*They also seem to be in the strange situation where they have 3 different front wing designs, but none of them work effectively in different scenarios, so they just keep trying different combinations of front wing + suspension + the rest of the aero in a desperate attempt to figure out what the gently caress is going on. Also Valterri is a bad driver and the less said about Massa, the better.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

ukle posted:

Given what happened with Jessica thats not true. He is an amazing driver and a role model in many ways, but he has his faults.

What did happen there anyway?

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

MustardFacial posted:

Boullier has made it clear a bunch of times that he doesn't like Jenson and I imagine he'd be doing his best to push him out.

Any references for this? I find it odd that any McLaren staff apart from drivers would give an opinion

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

djssniper posted:

Any references for this? I find it odd that any McLaren staff apart from drivers would give an opinion

It came up in 2014 the last time Jenson's contract was up for renewal. Boullier didn't want him, but Ron did. I'll see what I can find.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

MustardFacial posted:

It came up in 2014 the last time Jenson's contract was up for renewal. Boullier didn't want him, but Ron did. I'll see what I can find.

I thought Ron wanted him out tbh but the far east marketing potential made the main shareholder (some arabs or whatever) pressure him into keeping him

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

djssniper posted:

I thought Ron wanted him out tbh but the far east marketing potential made the main shareholder (some arabs or whatever) pressure him into keeping him

Maybe it was Ron, it's hard to keep up with which McLaren autist said what.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The whole thing hinged on Kmag getting Lego money and when that never materialized it was pretty clear that he wasn't going to match Button.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
All this technical stuff is great. Thanks guys.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Human Grand Prix posted:

I'm actually upset that Ferrari is treading water and Williams is slipping backwards into midfield hell.

Literally treading water during the tyre test https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCmORzdOb5s

Bernie must be looking at this and rubbing his hands in glee, plotting to force in the sprinkler idea.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
What the hell kind of engine does that thing have in the back of it?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

That's the same engine the Toro Rossos are running this year. The 2015 Ferrari.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It sounds far louder and more blown defuserery than the 2015 engine did.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Before Bernie dies F1 will become sprinkler'd tracks but the entire race will be behind a safety car and he'll make about 30 million for some pilot in Brazil.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Chris Amon has died :(

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Crap.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

jammyozzy posted:

So when you shift up into the higher gear the mainshaft will begin turning faster than it was in the lower gear. The mainshaft starts driving the dog ring off the lower gear, letting the dog ring disengage from the lower gear before the dog teeth come whipping round and crashing into it.

I'm quite tired and really need to draw a picture for this to make sense, but there's a better explanation about 1/3rd the way down this page: http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/gearbox.html

I understand most mechanical things, however when it comes to differentials and transmissions how they exactly work is confusing as gently caress. :psypop:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

andyf posted:

Literally treading water during the tyre test https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCmORzdOb5s

Bernie must be looking at this and rubbing his hands in glee, plotting to force in the sprinkler idea.

What is the "brrrrrt" noise on part throttle? Exhaust blown rear diffuser? Just weird timing in the engine on part throttle? [DESIRE TO KNOW MORE INTENSIFIES]

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

You Am I posted:

Nope, it was the right call. Rosberg was crying that he was at full steering lock when he was braking, but the replays definitely show that the wheels were still pointing straight ahead as he screamed past the apex of the corner, then at the last moment turned the wheels

I'll give Nico the benefit of the doubt. Max juked a little bit towards the inside line which made Nico re-adjust his line slightly. He would have been full on the brakes and would have had to let off some to put some steering correction in there. Chances are he still would have been pretty deep in the corner, but having to make a steering correction when you're at max braking means you're either going to lock up and understeer or run it way deep when you let up on the brakes.

I don't think it should have been a penalty, but I don't really care that much either. I guess at least it gave us some drama.

This video is really cool, I like that it looks much more real and less processed/muted like the race streams. Everything always looks so bland but a camera that's not really corrected makes it seem way more "real" and exciting to me.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

GramCracker posted:

I understand most mechanical things, however when it comes to differentials and transmissions how they exactly work is confusing as gently caress. :psypop:

Have an ancient video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4JhruinbWc

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Now I want a playlist of extremely clear old timey technical videos please.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Goetta posted:

Now I want a playlist of extremely clear old timey technical videos please.

There's a YouTube channel that has a shitload of them I can post when I get home. All the videos from back then were awesome and it kinda sucks that nobody gives a poo poo how things used on a daily basis work anymore.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

That was so great. Even I understood (most of) it.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

1500quidporsche posted:

There's a YouTube channel that has a shitload of them I can post when I get home. All the videos from back then were awesome and it kinda sucks that nobody gives a poo poo how things used on a daily basis work anymore.

It's the US Auto Industry Channel it's loving awesome.

Here is one about how a transmission works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOLtS4VUcvQ

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 3, 2016

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Yeah that's the one. Also responsible for causing me to watch Corvair adverts in utter fascination at 3am.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

1500quidporsche posted:

Yeah that's the one. Also responsible for causing me to watch Corvair adverts in utter fascination at 3am.

One of my regulars at work used to own a couple Corvairs. He also had a Fiero and a MR2 Turbo. He liked the engine in the rear back in his day (he now drives a minivan).

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

iospace posted:

He liked the engine in the rear back in his day (he now drives a minivan).

Plenty of emissions get generated in the back of minivans too

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Whitey Ford posted:

Plenty of emissions get generated in the back of minivans too

He's 89 years old. So if you want to imagine that, go ahead.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Just finished Niki Lauda's autobiography. Some revelations in it, none of which are surprising in the least:

* Bernie is Emperor Palpatine

quote:

He will use any excuse, any half-truth to give a new twist to the conversation. He'll argue that black is white and two plus two equals five - or vice-versa - whatever comes into his head, if it happens to suit his purpose and fit in with his negotiating strategy. He twists and turns to such a degree that there is no thread running through his conversation that you can grasp.

* Enzo was a fascist antisemite

quote:

When it was time to motivate the troops - notably in the course of the so-called 'Annual Address' - his imagery would run to 'oaths of loyalty' and the 'anvil of work on which are forged the weapons of ultimate victory'.

quote:

We go at it for another hour or so until he finally asks again: 'How much do you want?' And I drop another 4 per cent. My final offer. 'Okay, ebreo,' says Ferrari. Okay, Jew-boy.

* Ron is a twat

quote:

Ron's weakness seems to reside in a sort of chip-on-the-shoulder complex. It hurts him to be reminded that he started life as a modest mechanic at Cooper and Brabham. It is for this reason that he overreacts as a team boss. His arrogance can be unbearable.

* Monaco sucks

quote:

I don't like Monaco.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Niki is the hero we need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
More quotes plz