Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Lol lucioball

wii sports resort + rocket league = trash

This on the same poo poo tier as bungie's free filler events for destiny

It's an okay idea done badly. It needs jump pads or lower gravity. Anything that'd make sick jumps happen.

junan_paalla posted:

But it has jump pads? and you go faster when wallrunning

Oh, OK. I just gave away that I have paid 0 attention to Luciobowl.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Aug 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
I got placed 40 and just broke 50 last night. I've found the most success with 2 to 3 close friends and going over to team chat immediately. Actually playing with flexible people who still gravitate to a certain role is great. It ensures that everyone is playing something comfortable and the pubs can pick basically whatever they want.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Donnerberg posted:

It's an okay idea done badly. It needs jump pads or lower gravity. Anything that'd make sick jumps happen.

But it has jump pads? and you go faster when wallrunning

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I dunno if anyone's noticed or not but MasterOverwatch's Compare feature appears to be broken. Even with Competitive selected its pulling from both Quick Play and Comp statistics which could change how stats shake out

e; actually its just straight broken and is pulling some stats almost completely incorrectly

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The glow effects on certain things are far more prominent now. Reinhardt's firestrike does a cool red glow as it travels, and Zarya's weapons now glow purple pretty distinctly.

It's pretty cool.

e: As a proof of concept Lucioball is great, and I hope it's a teaser for some sort of feature like some sort of better custom game creator. It's still better than the previous brawls which were "All one/two heroes, reduced cooldowns"

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Aug 3, 2016

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Looking forward to the pyro dodgeball style genji reflect maps

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ddraig posted:

The glow effects on certain things are far more prominent now. Reinhardt's firestrike does a cool red glow as it travels, and Zarya's weapons now glow purple pretty distinctly.

It's pretty cool.

e: As a proof of concept Lucioball is great, and I hope it's a teaser for some sort of feature like some sort of better custom game creator. It's still better than the previous brawls which were "All one/two heroes, reduced cooldowns"

Those brawls are a really good way to practice heroes in a real setting where nobody gets angry. Theoretically quick play should be this but it doesn't work that way, at least in the brawl usually everyone is just plain bad

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Really good defense on Hollywood with Junkrat I had earlier. Probably the best I've done with Junkrat tbh. Anyone mind checking out 4:15 for the PotG from the Hanzo? His aim was really suspect the entire game and he seems like he's snapping REALLY hard enough that I was convinced watching it then but I'm not 100% sure.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
This is an excellent series of what to look for to determine if someone's hacking.

Harder in Overwatch due to no spectating of the enemy, but still theoretically applies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiQkJGc7APA

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Lúcioball really shows how many nerd gamers have no idea how sports work or even really how the flow of a match in general works. Loads of braindead idiots swarming the ball and jostling it, and, oops, there's no one to pass to because you're all on top of the ball instead of holding a position on the field.

I wonder how much of this carries over to their normal Overwatch play, whether this explains some of the inexplicable plays I've seen, that people just outright aren't thinking at all about what they're doing and just mindlessly swarm whatever they see.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Tried for an hour to log in last night. It blows my mind how angry these idiots who were banned can get for getting caught breaking the rules. I hope Blizzard presses charge against the DDoS sources if they find them.

Ended up playing Skyrim instead. Disappointed.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Brannock posted:

Lúcioball really shows how many nerd gamers have no idea how sports work or even really how the flow of a match in general works. Loads of braindead idiots swarming the ball and jostling it, and, oops, there's no one to pass to because you're all on top of the ball instead of holding a position on the field.

Whoa there, jock.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Aug 3, 2016

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Brannock posted:

I wonder how much of this carries over to their normal Overwatch play, whether this explains some of the inexplicable plays I've seen, that people just outright aren't thinking at all about what they're doing and just mindlessly swarm whatever they see.

You ever play Rocket League? People still do that

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

mcbexx posted:

Whoa there, jock.

I went to try out for the lucioball team and brannock stuffed me in a locker :smith:

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Can't wait to play Overwatch kart in a few months

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Brannock posted:

It's the same people that chase to their own deaths in MOBAs. I suppose they chase in Overwatch too. Break off an attack to grab a medkit and someone will follow.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Sorry for the DDOS I think it was me spamming my new "CATCHPHRASE!" line with Reinhardt I'd just unlocked, nonstop.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

For those wondering -- you can get more than 1 summer games item in a single loot crate. So it's not totally bs

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AqLgJMWUiIpnggB5OyV6W5Aq1Xby

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I wish all the Overwatch Funnymoney Id been collecting was useful in any way

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

StabMasterArson posted:

I wish all the Overwatch Funnymoney Id been collecting was useful in any way

you already got all the unlocks?

think of it like "points" in an old timey pac man game

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

the coins are good for when they release a new hero. i had more than enough saved up when ana came out to buy all her best things.

sucks that they're no good for event stuff, but they're not completely useless.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Office Sheep posted:

I got placed 40 and just broke 50 last night. I've found the most success with 2 to 3 close friends and going over to team chat immediately. Actually playing with flexible people who still gravitate to a certain role is great. It ensures that everyone is playing something comfortable and the pubs can pick basically whatever they want.

This is what I did (42-56) but now my friends don't play at the same time as me

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
I genuinely think that the matchmaking algorithm tries to force people back to 50% winrate by giving uneven teams. We already know that it works by assigning 'expected' wins and losses based on team skill. Nothing else can explain how many teams I've got of players who just can't do a thing. This isn't a gripe, it's an observation. I've had a whole string of matches where it's given me a very competent if not amazing enemy team, and my team can't hit them, doesn't use abilities or uses them uselessly, and just won't try for a reasonable comp.

Again, not complaining. If that's how it's designed, that's how it's designed. But it's really, really clear that matches are being essentially rigged. If it was just the luck of the draw it wouldn't be consistent. There would be win streaks and loss streaks in a random solo queue scenario. I'm not seeing any win streaks, and haven't for the last week or so. I get the occasional victory, and it instantly re-instances me into a completely different group after that, no matter how hard fought the match seemed.

Yeah, I know, I'm the only consistent factor in the games I'm playing. But I'm pulling very, very good healing numbers when I'm healing, and pretty reasonable elims, objective time and damage when I'm DPS. I try to coordinate with the team, but they just don't coordinate. They spread out and run in one by one and they die, and they ignore any attempt at comms or requests to group up.

I'm not a great player, far from it, but I understand the game fairly well and I initially got up to around a 58% overall win rate and a 68% win rate on Lucio. That has been doing nothing but dropping, and dropping dramatically.

It isn't possible to carry a team that can't play in the face of opponents that can play, not at my skill level. And this is not fun. This is utter frustration.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Brannock posted:

It's the brawl, no one gives a poo poo. Skate around doing rad jumps and bouncing the ball around

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
please play optimally at all times. do not even log into the training room if you're not ready to optimize the poo poo out of some bots

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Yes Sadis, a good matchmaker will try to get you to a 50-50 winrate. It's what they are designed to do, 2 evenly matched teams will have exactly 50% winrate against eachother

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Soothing Vapors posted:

please play optimally at all times. do not even log into the training room if you're not ready to optimize the poo poo out of some bots

Unirioncially true if you're on my team in comp :colbert:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

SadisTech posted:

I genuinely think that the matchmaking algorithm tries to force people back to 50% winrate by giving uneven teams. We already know that it works by assigning 'expected' wins and losses based on team skill. Nothing else can explain how many teams I've got of players who just can't do a thing. This isn't a gripe, it's an observation. I've had a whole string of matches where it's given me a very competent if not amazing enemy team, and my team can't hit them, doesn't use abilities or uses them uselessly, and just won't try for a reasonable comp.

Again, not complaining. If that's how it's designed, that's how it's designed. But it's really, really clear that matches are being essentially rigged. If it was just the luck of the draw it wouldn't be consistent. There would be win streaks and loss streaks in a random solo queue scenario. I'm not seeing any win streaks, and haven't for the last week or so. I get the occasional victory, and it instantly re-instances me into a completely different group after that, no matter how hard fought the match seemed.

Yeah, I know, I'm the only consistent factor in the games I'm playing. But I'm pulling very, very good healing numbers when I'm healing, and pretty reasonable elims, objective time and damage when I'm DPS. I try to coordinate with the team, but they just don't coordinate. They spread out and run in one by one and they die, and they ignore any attempt at comms or requests to group up.

I'm not a great player, far from it, but I understand the game fairly well and I initially got up to around a 58% overall win rate and a 68% win rate on Lucio. That has been doing nothing but dropping, and dropping dramatically.

It isn't possible to carry a team that can't play in the face of opponents that can play, not at my skill level. And this is not fun. This is utter frustration.

If your winrate is 58%, then you are being consistently matched against teams that are worse than your team - and if you have a 68% winrate playing the guy who does literally nothing but stand around near his team all game, then you were probably being put in teams that were better than you were. If you're "not a great player" by your own admission, where did you think that high winrate was coming from? And with winrates like that, your complaint that you've never had a winning streak sounds a lot like bullshit. Now you're just feeding someone else's undeserved winning streak.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Yeah, I thought that would be the general tone of the responses. I'm not questioning that I deserve to get losses, I'm questioning the sudden and dramatic turnaround I'm seeing. I've gone from doing pretty drat well to losing 8/10 and the only thing I can put it down to is matchmaking trying savagely to even me out.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Jastiger posted:

Jesus dude.

Its frustrating often times in the game. I'm not great but god drat some of those losses I know I don't deserve. THen I lose an ENTIRE LEVEL. Then I'll roll over some team and gain maybe 1/5th of one, it doesn't make sense.

I went from 49 - 29 in the span of about 3 days. Seriously had a stretch of about 5-6 games where we had at least one person leave. I'm pretty sure the ranking system increases the amount you win/lose when you are on a streak either direction so those games cost me at least a level each time. Trying to claw back is infuriating and seriously hard because a win bumps me up about |---| that much where a loss takes me down oh about |----------------------------------------------------------------|

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

SadisTech posted:

Yeah, I thought that would be the general tone of the responses. I'm not questioning that I deserve to get losses, I'm questioning the sudden and dramatic turnaround I'm seeing. I've gone from doing pretty drat well to losing 8/10 and the only thing I can put it down to is matchmaking trying savagely to even me out.

When you win your MMR goes up and you get matched against better players and so if you're not actually that good then you lose. It's not really trying to do anything other than find your true skill rating.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

SadisTech posted:

It's just luck. You weren't complaining when you won 7/10 games.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

SadisTech posted:

There's no conspiracy to keep your winrate down. You got carried and fooled the game into thinking you're better than you are. The game reacted accordingly by bumping up the skill of your opponents. Sooner or later the matchmaking system will correctly identify you as the trashbag that you are and things will work themselves out. Happens to me all the time after I have a particularly hot streak or a good group that can carry me; the game starts incorrectly believing that I am not garbage and pits me against actual non-potato players who gape my rear end nonstop.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Soothing Vapors posted:

There's no conspiracy to keep your winrate down. You got carried and fooled the game into thinking you're better than you are. The game reacted accordingly by bumping up the skill of your opponents. Sooner or later the matchmaking system will correctly identify you as the trashbag that you are and things will work themselves out. Happens to me all the time after I have a particularly hot streak or a good group that can carry me; the game starts incorrectly believing that I am not garbage and pits me against actual non-potato players who gape my rear end nonstop.

Doesn't explain why my team mates are all actual, literal potatoes vs the non potatoes along with me, but there's probably not much more to be said on the topic really. I was just lucky to get carried to a 68% win rate in my first 270 odd solo queue games by sheer happenstance.

e: 67.58, sorry for exaggerating.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Decided to just play the character I'm most comfortable with this morning and do what I can with him. Picked Zenyatta because he's my statistically best character, the one I'm most comfortable with, and the most fun one for me. Went from rank 47 to rank 54 with no losses in the span of about 8 games.

*in Zenyatta voice* We are in harmony.

Think the best moment of those games was playing with a Winston. Before the match started I used Zen's "Always strive for improvement" line and Winston acknowledged it. Match starts and que Winston immediately rocketing to the point, killing a Genji on the way before dying. Repeat this process for the rest of the match all the while watching Winston's kill feed gradually get larger and larger. I, being in awe of watching a pissed off space gorilla horribly murder the enemy, did my best to discord everything I saw. We win and as the game is fading out Winston strolls up to me and goes "Thank you."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

SadisTech posted:

Doesn't explain why my team mates are all actual, literal potatoes vs the non potatoes along with me, but there's probably not much more to be said on the topic really. I was just lucky to get carried to a 68% win rate in my first 270 odd solo queue games by sheer happenstance.

it puts you in a special potato queue to get a pride obliterating bitch slap alongside other potatos

funny how many people are actually super really great at overwatch, just being held back by their team. to hear it told no one is individually bad at this game, but everyone else on their team is. it's like a koan for zenyatta to ponder in his robobrain

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 3, 2016

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
To sympathize with Sarids, its frustrating to go from rank say, 56 and "hang" and have good close matches and a lot of good comp and hold your own and BARELY lose....then get put onto teams in rank 53 that are legit not up to the challenge and your win rate just shits itself from there. Its frustrating to be able to compete at a high level, then get put into the riff raff teams then have that negative feed back loop into more losses. Its one thing to lose coordinated vs coordinated, its another to lose because XGenjiX refuses to switch off.

Or worse, you get grouped with a team of say 54 54 53 and they are teamed with their level 37 buddy who is legit not good or interested in comp, so you get crushed 5v6 at rank 52 because thats the ~average~ and you're the ~underdog~ so the loss in XP is even greater. I've played comp with goons who are 37 and if you eke out a victory I never gain as much as I lose in those losses.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Otisburg posted:

it puts you in a special potato queue to get a pride obliterating bitch slap alongside other potatos

funny how many people are actually super really great at overwatch, just being held back by their team. to here it told no one is individually bad at this game, but everyone else on their team is. it's like a koan for zenyatta to ponder in his robobrain

Look, there are some facts regardless of opinion. I am questioning why these facts are the way they are.

Fact 1 - specifically on Lucio, I won around 67% of roughly 260-270 quick play games played up until just over a week ago, almost all solo queue.
Fact 2 - since this point, I have lost a proportion of all quick play games played as Lucio that has reduced that win % to around 63%, again, almost all solo queue.

My overall win % has reduced from around 58% to 56.44% over this time frame.

Is it unreasonable to think that something has caused a fairly dramatic change in the matches that I am being presented with, given that my own performance metrics have remained fairly consistent, and shown a slight uptick across various categories? That's all I'm saying.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

competitive doesn't properly compensate healers, a loss as a Lucio or Mercy will cost you almost a level while a win will get you maaaaaabye 20% of one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

mintskoal posted:

I went from 49 - 29 in the span of about 3 days. Seriously had a stretch of about 5-6 games where we had at least one person leave. I'm pretty sure the ranking system increases the amount you win/lose when you are on a streak either direction so those games cost me at least a level each time. Trying to claw back is infuriating and seriously hard because a win bumps me up about |---| that much where a loss takes me down oh about |----------------------------------------------------------------|

In my experience this is most definitely true. The system is an overengineered piece of crap.