Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vulture Culture posted:

The college discussion is cool and all but personally, I'm finding Four Roses bourbon to be quite nice.

Where I live drinking is a very expensive hobby. That being said, I still managed to build a nice collection of exotic booze while traveling around Asia.

I can't drink most of them though, even a single glass of (Japanese) whiskey gives me a nasty hangover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Where I live drinking is a very expensive hobby. That being said, I still managed to build a nice collection of exotic booze while traveling around Asia.

I can't drink most of them though, even a single glass of (Japanese) whiskey gives me a nasty hangover.

Where the gently caress do you live where alcohol is expensive, generally? Not doubting you, just flabbergasted.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a cop posted:

Where the gently caress do you live where alcohol is expensive, generally? Not doubting you, just flabbergasted.

Singapore

http://www.globalalcoholprices.com/alcohol_prices/Singapore/

Yep, that seems right.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Norway is my go-to option when someone says "alcohol is expensive", but wow Iceland :black101:

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

The ideal candidate for many entry level jobs is a related degree, 3 years of experience, and a recent related certification. Many of the current employees will not be ideal candidates for their current job. There are even people who excel at these positions with none of the above. It comes down to making the best decisions for your personal situation. For most people that will be getting a degree. If you can start building experience right away you can save four years by working now. You will still have to netwoek and meet the right people for the best opportunities. If you have a wealthy family, or a family to support or a hundred other smaller factors it will all factor in to your personal situation.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I really don't like that post, because when you say "the debt accrued in the endeavor can be crippling" is a manner of saying that you shouldn't go, or that the decision is close. You're referring to the outliers. You absolutely should buy into the idea that if you go to college you'll get a good job. You'll get a job which, according to US News & World Report, will earn almost a million dollars more over your lifetime than someone who just graduated college. So when you talk about the cautionary tale of crippling debt, it's like saying it's a 50/50 choice and you need to be careful because you could go bankrupt. You could do a lot of things, but if you have the opportunity, college is a no brainer.

You can't apply these statistics to an individual in the same way. The general population will go to an average school(or not), get an average job and an average salary. If you are never going to med school and you are not going to be a social worker with a masters it tips the scale. You have to consider the choices yourself. If you know you will be working in IT you can choose a career path that requires a degree or one that doesn't. Some of the careers that require a degree like sql dba pay less than ones without a degree like a software developer. A software engineer at Apple or Google makes the same with or without a degree. An executive management position will have a virtually unlimited salary and requires an mba.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

lampey posted:

The ideal candidate for many entry level jobs is a related degree, 3 years of experience, and a recent related certification.

Surely by definition entry level applicants don't need years of experience?

e: although I guess an overqualified candidate working for less than they're worth is 'ideal' for an employer

bitterandtwisted fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Aug 3, 2016

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

bitterandtwisted posted:

Surely by definition entry level applicants don't need years of experience?

e: although I guess an overqualified candidate working for less than they're worth is 'ideal' for an employer

It's actually so they can bypass the retention period required by affirmative action laws.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
So, I got fired for the first time. I thought the job was going well. It was my first 'sysadmin' job. I made some mistakes but owned up to them, and fixed them, but I guess it wasn't sufficient. This is an awful feeling.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
That sucks .What happened? Did they give some specific reasons? Did they have you on any kind of probation or performance improvement plan?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
poo poo man. that's awful. Did you see it coming in any way?
I make mistakes aswell and own up to them and fix it asap. Hope that that doesn't bite me later

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Sefal posted:

poo poo man. that's awful. Did you see it coming in any way?
I make mistakes aswell and own up to them and fix it asap. Hope that that doesn't bite me later

It really depends on the culture at your company. Some places don't care as long as you fix them, others do. It's probably still best to not go and point out every tiny mistake you make.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

ZetsurinPower posted:

That sucks .What happened? Did they give some specific reasons? Did they have you on any kind of probation or performance improvement plan?

Well, the two incidents they mentioned were:

1. Apparently I screwed up something in the sharepoint system. I was trying to help one of the service desk folks get something set up and did some research which made it sound like some credentials were a problem. So, I fiddled with that some and kept an eye on it to see if anything broke, which it didn't appear to. A week later they came to me and said that I screwed it up and it was down because of that.

2. We were implementing a managed endpoint encryption service which was not yet in production. I was working on getting it set up to auto push out the agent to new machines and needed to install an update. Tried to install the update, got a weird error message. Worked on that and brought it down for about an hour.

No probation or anything. Was only there for about 5 months so I guess that was the probation or something. Yeah, I realize I got too enthusiastic and tried to tone it down, but beyond that I thought I was doing well.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!

PBS posted:

It really depends on the culture at your company. Some places don't care as long as you fix them, others do. It's probably still best to not go and point out every tiny mistake you make.

The other sys admin keeps doing that and I think he might be digging his own grave. He also keeps asking me for the Exchange management console URL and he's been here for over 2 months :aaa:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

ZetsurinPower posted:

The other sys admin keeps doing that and I think he might be digging his own grave. He also keeps asking me for the Exchange management console URL and he's been here for over 2 months :aaa:

Tell him to bookmark it ffs. I bookmarked everything they told me about at the new job. Still I keep running across systems I have no clue about.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

PBS posted:

The culture is actually pretty awesome here. They don't mind mistakes aslong as you know what you did wrong, won't do it again and learn from it. Ofcourse if production is down it needs to get up asap.
I don't point out every little tiny mistake. Only when the impact is huge
When I screwed a powershell command up and deleted everyones print code. 600 employees had their print code deleted. I let my senior know what I did and the entire IT team helped me restore it while joking about my gently caress up by copying the codes in our testing enviroment and manually entering them in production for each user. 50 employees had to come to IT, Scan their card, and get an print code. I thought for sure I was gone but the senior tech let me know that mistakes happen. If you don't learn if you don't try and fail.

Another collegue who has been working here for like 17 years now screwed up a powershell command and brought the whole production down for an hour twice. We are now known as the powershell screw ups. (but only we actually use powershell)

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

high six posted:

1. Apparently I screwed up something in the sharepoint system. I was trying to help one of the service desk folks get something set up and did some research which made it sound like some credentials were a problem. So, I fiddled with that some and kept an eye on it to see if anything broke, which it didn't appear to. A week later they came to me and said that I screwed it up and it was down because of that.

2. We were implementing a managed endpoint encryption service which was not yet in production. I was working on getting it set up to auto push out the agent to new machines and needed to install an update. Tried to install the update, got a weird error message. Worked on that and brought it down for about an hour.

No probation or anything. Was only there for about 5 months so I guess that was the probation or something. Yeah, I realize I got too enthusiastic and tried to tone it down, but beyond that I thought I was doing well.

Neither of those seem to be major issues? Sounds like they needed a reason to get rid of you for OTHER reasons, and used that. Might be that they didn't want to pay benefits or something.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
Maybe. I dunno. They kinda tossed me in the deep end. I was told to get a VMware Mirage system set up when I started, and it was slow going since it's not a particularly commonly used system from what I can tell and documentation is pretty sparse. I finally got it stood up and working (Mostly) then they get rid of me. Mind you, this was a junior position, and I told them I didn't have a huge amount of experience. Government agency, too, so I don't know.

Anyways, thanks for listening. I've never been fired before so this is particularly difficult, and it's the straw that broke the camel's back when it comes to my mental health issues so being able to air it does help. Yeah, I know, internet comedy forum, but still.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
What is the world of IT like in Australia. I have the opportunity to do some work over there later in the year.
I suspect the opportunity to stay over will present itself and I'm open to the idea.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

angry armadillo posted:

What is the world of IT like in Australia. I have the opportunity to do some work over there later in the year.
I suspect the opportunity to stay over will present itself and I'm open to the idea.

Avoid Australia. The spiders are large enough to catch birds.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

high six posted:

They either want perfection, maybe they got it before. Maybe it's something else. Maybe another person who they interviewed that they wanted more called up asking if the job was still open. Maybe the previous golden boy got shitcanned and wants back in. Maybe they only needed you for a few tasks, you did them get out.

Maybe you aren't telling us everything and hosed up something huge. Maybe you don't even know what you hosed up and they didn't inform you.

It's not a big deal by the sound of it, put your resume out there and collect unemployment. Unemployment should be pretty close to what you were making, and if you factor in gas and any eating out, might even be a raise! Show them you are better and get a job paying even more now.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah seriously, don't give up. Having initiative and then sticking around to fix things that break are unfortunately quite rare skills.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
That seems like not much of nothing to lose a job over. The only time I've heard of someone being canned from making an error is when I worked on wall street and some guy would cowboy an unsuccessful maintenance when the market was open.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
So how should I explain this to interviewers?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Just say that it ultimately wasn't a good fit if they ask you about it

Most people hiring will realize that a single short stint can be down to any number of reasons outside of the candidate's control. There won't be real red flags unless it becomes a pattern.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
There is no loving way you were fired over that. What else happened?

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!

SEKCobra posted:

Tell him to bookmark it ffs. I bookmarked everything they told me about at the new job. Still I keep running across systems I have no clue about.

I told him to bookmark it the 3rd time he asked, we also have it in a collection of useful bookmarks on our groups network folder.

He's a part time "prof" at ITT, that should have been our first warning

ZetsurinPower fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 3, 2016

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
We misplaced an entire SAN looool

In the sense that, this thing is racked and cabled, but isn't on the network and no one noticed for months. Heyyyy let's go ahead and finish off that install.

e: And to be clear, I'm not talking about some off brand 2U collection of disks on a backplane - we're talking EMC with shelves here. Whoops!

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 3, 2016

high six
Feb 6, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

There is no loving way you were fired over that. What else happened?

As far as I am aware, that's all that happened. Maybe they didn't tell me something. Dunno, guess it doesn't matter now.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

We misplaced an entire SAN looool

In the sense that, this thing is racked and cabled, but isn't on the network and no one noticed for months. Heyyyy let's go ahead and finish off that install.

e: And to be clear, I'm not talking about some off brand 2U collection of disks on a backplane - we're talking EMC with shelves here. Whoops!

I had this happen once. Bought a SAN from a new vendor to replace old SAN that was 8 years old and costing an arm and a leg to keep renewing. Racked, bounded everything then suddenly the project wasn't mine anymore. Everyone on the team was "the same level" and boss decided to restructure based on how long you had been their rather than you know your skill set. So idiot who loves to do in person installs now has 100% of the server work and has no idea about servers. He sat on it for 6 months before I left without copying any VMs over, he got a replacement disk for the old SAN from ebay when one failed out of support, because you know we had a new one.

I bet they are still running that old SAN constantly at max throughput and made checking email or even logging in take a very long time at the start of the day or after lunch. Please make our entire department look bad. He even turned off the DC I built on it so logins wouldn't take forever because 3 DCs causes problems or something.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

high six posted:

As far as I am aware, that's all that happened. Maybe they didn't tell me something. Dunno, guess it doesn't matter now.

I genuinely don't believe you, sorry. Those aren't fireable things. Did you get along with everyone? Ever have personality clashes? Do anything sketchy or in a way that might piss off your bosses/managers?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

high six posted:

So how should I explain this to interviewers?

I got termed 3 months after I started a job because I was hired to solve the problem, but the problem ended up being the people on my team.

I've found that I try to talk as little about that situation as possible. Speak to the achievements you made, about the learning experience, etc. Interviewers/HR will press you on why you left, and I found that 'it was not a good fit for my career path and I am looking for a position that is better suits me." If they press further, say you don't like to speak negatively of the situation, and pivot back to the position you are interviewing for.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

I genuinely don't believe you, sorry. Those aren't fireable things. Did you get along with everyone? Ever have personality clashes? Do anything sketchy or in a way that might piss off your bosses/managers?

That's cool, don't have to believe me. As far as I know, everyone liked me. The guy who fired me was the CIO and I didn't interact with him all that much. I'm also pretty bad at reading social cues so maybe I rubbed some people the wrong way.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm not sure if you mentioned if you'd pissed on anyone's desk, because that tends to get people riled up.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
A guy ate his burrito and he made a big deal out of it, so his boss handed him a new burrito and his walking papers.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I think I'd rather be unemployed than have to administer sharepoint.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

A guy ate his burrito and he made a big deal out of it, so his boss handed him a new burrito and his walking papers.

Did he wrap the burrito with the walking papers?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

high six posted:

I'm also pretty bad at reading social cues so maybe I rubbed some people the wrong way.

You thought "hit on" was literal and ran over the CIO's daughter, didn't you? It's okay, you can tell us. We are goons. Dick Trauma got that name from his hobby, after all.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Got burrito juice all over them, too. Nearly unreadable. Spent the first 10 minutes thinking it was a commendation. Just a real, real unfortunate situation.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

mayodreams posted:

I got termed 3 months after I started a job because I was hired to solve the problem, but the problem ended up being the people on my team.

I've found that I try to talk as little about that situation as possible. Speak to the achievements you made, about the learning experience, etc. Interviewers/HR will press you on why you left, and I found that 'it was not a good fit for my career path and I am looking for a position that is better suits me." If they press further, say you don't like to speak negatively of the situation, and pivot back to the position you are interviewing for.

When my current employer asked why I left my previous job I ended up telling them I was termed and gave them some of the details, plus what I learned from it. I guess they took from it I was the victim of politics since my record up until then was exemplary. Worked out for the best cause I found out my previous employer was/is looking at having my current employer backfill my old position and now I get to avoid a really awkward situation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Got burrito juice all over them, too. Nearly unreadable. Spent the first 10 minutes thinking it was a commendation. Just a real, real unfortunate situation.

Those would be the best smelling walking papers ever. After being escorted out of the building I'd hang out in front and just smell those papers and smile, until they called the cops.