Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Goatman Sacks posted:

If not for asbestos, what made the 9/11 wreckage so horribly unhealthy? Just all the atomized fiberglass insulation and stuff?

e: googled it. Looks like fiberglass, trace amounts of asbestos, and carcinogenic hydrocarbons consistent with the exhaust of a slowly smoldering fire.

Yeah generally a good combo of "all the bad things except radiation"

quote:

Much of the thousands of tons of debris resulting from the collapse of the Twin Towers was pulverized concrete, which is known to cause silicosis upon inhalation. The remainder consisted of more than 2,500 contaminants,[4] more specifically: 50% non-fibrous material and construction debris; 40% glass and other fibers; 9.2% cellulose; and 0.8% of the extremely toxic carcinogen asbestos, as well as detectable amounts of[5] lead, and mercury. There were also unprecedented levels of dioxins and PAHs from the fires which burned for three months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Goatman Sacks posted:

If not for asbestos, what made the 9/11 wreckage so horribly unhealthy? Just all the atomized fiberglass insulation and stuff?

All matter of toxic stuff. Even in a normal fire you can expect a certain amount of cyanide poisoning and carbon monoxide toxicity. But we're talking about two separate 100 story buildings.

We probably won't know the full extend of the damage done to emergency workers for decades. Hence my dad and many of my friends have to go through a city evaluation for every health problem they have.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
My favorite Trump tidbit in the last 24 hours is how he apparently distracted himself in the middle of an interview for one of the networks to watch himself speak during a pre-recorded Fox News segment.

I bet he stares into every reflection.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Boon posted:

My favorite Trump tidbit in the last 24 hours is how he apparently distracted himself in the middle of an interview for one of the networks to watch himself speak during a pre-recorded Fox News segment.

I bet he stares into every reflection.

Hillary easily defeats Trump in a fun house room of mirrors or just putting up a bunch of video screens showing footage of himself like Batman fighting clayface.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

The US shipped 400 million USD to Iran as part of a payment of a deal made before the Iranian revolution, since the nuclear treaty they have includes unfreezing of assets.

This was done at around the same time that the American sailors that were arrested some months back for violating Iranian waters were finally released from their internment.

The WSJ published an article insinuating that this was proof of Obama paying Iran for the release of what were effectively hostages.

This could well have been a thing that might put the Democrats on the defensive for a news cycle because nuance is dead, but alas, Trump.
One correction. The Americans who were "ransomed" in this story were not the sailors, they were a Washington Post reporter, a former U.S. Marine, a pastor, and one other person.

Why this is a story in August baffles me. Everyone knew the key facts back in January.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Is that story regarding the Clinton Foundation and shady foreign.money getting any traction.

The.Clinton Foundation really seems like a.alush fund/ dubious organization.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Tibeerius posted:

Why this is a story in August baffles me. Everyone knew the key facts back in January.

It's being dug up for news cycle triage.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Tibeerius posted:

One correction. The Americans who were "ransomed" in this story were not the sailors, they were a Washington Post reporter, a former U.S. Marine, a pastor, and one other person.

Facts literally don't matter anymore.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tibeerius posted:

Thank you. I appreciate getting fact-checked.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Obama kept this so secret that he discussed it in a press convergence at length the day after it, in January

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Luigi Thirty posted:

Facts literally don't matter anymore.

We are indeed living in the "post-factual" world. Facts don't matter, just whether you "feel" something to be true.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Tibeerius posted:

The general election started last week.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Khisanth Magus posted:

We are indeed living in the "post-factual" world. Facts don't matter, just whether you "feel" something to be true.
maybe outside the no spin zone

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Was this story about the Iran payment the RNC's "Break in case of emergency" news item, and they've had to use it way earlier than they thought?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Mahoning posted:

Was this story about the Iran payment the RNC's "Break in case of emergency" news item, and they've had to use it way earlier than they thought?

Do you honestly believe anyone in the republican party or media has any semblance left of a plan at this point? This was a several minute search on google for a talking point and gently caress IT, WE'LL SPIN IT LIVE.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Mahoning posted:

It goes really well with the Bernie counter narrative that Clinton was trying to torpedo the Iran deal.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mahoning posted:

Given how badly they've hosed everything else up, a non-story about a previously-negotiated payment ordered by international court is precisely what I would expect Reince to pull out as an October surprise.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Is that story regarding the Clinton Foundation and shady foreign.money getting any traction.

The.Clinton Foundation really seems like a.alush fund/ dubious organization.

It is pretty dubious that these big companies and rich people would give money to an organization and then that organization would spend that money on "projects" to "bring people together" to "take on" things they call "challenges of the 21st century"

Who needs proof when the facts are so obvious?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/brody_levesque/top_republican_party_leadership_working_on_plan_to_replace_trump

RNC discussing emergency replacements for Trump if he jumps ship.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Crabtree posted:

Do you honestly believe anyone in the republican party or media has any semblance left of a plan at this point? This was a several minute search on google for a talking point and gently caress IT, WE'LL SPIN IT LIVE.

Yeah it is drink heavily and hope your political career isn't over.

Hint: it won't be for many of these people and they will be back.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I dont think Trump will leave the race for two reasons:
- It would be an admission of defeat which he seems pathologically incapable of doing.
- He may have forgiven his loans, but there are still millions of dollars of campaign funds that can be thrown at Trump organizations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Well of course, you want to avoid headlines like "GOP stumped after Trump jump leads to Dem. pump"

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://twitter.com/DanaBashCNN/status/760867152232603648

it's that scene from the Simpsons episode where Homer meets his brother Herb. At one point Herb makes his engineers call back and say the opposite of everything they just said

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Trump drops out. Paul Ryan made candidate. Trump enters as third party candidate.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

emdash posted:

it's that scene from the Simpsons episode where Homer meets his brother Herb. At one point Herb makes his engineers call back and say the opposite of everything they just said

"Oh yes, and Mr. Trump's personal hygiene is above reproach"

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

emdash posted:

LOL, for some reason the scene in Home Alone 2 with Tim Curry and the other hotel employees all saying "We LOVE you" in unison came to mind.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

prom candy posted:

"Oh yes, and Mr. Trump's personal hygiene is above reproach"

The man is very clean. A shiny, orange hue.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"I'm not frustrated! I'm not frustrated!" I cry as I slowly shrink and transform into a rump party

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

EvanSchenck posted:

...I'm sure his divorce settlements include non-disparagement clauses that would likely bar him from talking poo poo about them.

They do. It's likely the main/only reason his first ex-wife changed her story about him raping her since even if it's true his lawyers would've made drat sure that any settlement involved walking back those comments.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

You really want someone Trump endorses over stereotypical republican who constantly gets clowned?

Yes, because in closely held areas a full blown insane tea partier can (and has in the past) lose seats that the incumbent GOPe person would've held otherwise. Plus if the GOP leadership gets gutted badly enough that the GOP is divided in the House then either there won't be a Speaker or some in the GOP will say gently caress You to the fringe and side with the Democrats on a vote for Speaker. :getin:

zoux posted:

Good skiiing though, so there's pros and cons.

We should look at the pros and khans of a Trump-induced nuclear winter.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

https://twitter.com/scottwalker/status/760871959437594624

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Mahoning posted:

LOL, for some reason the scene in Home Alone 2 with Tim Curry and the other hotel employees all saying "We LOVE you" in unison came to mind.

Daily morning meeting for the Trump campaign senior staff

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Alright D&D, let's discuss something important: who most deserves to be ruined in the punditry following this election?

Exhibit A: Katrina Pierson
https://youtu.be/VAtxCRfU1g0

Exhibit B: Kayleigh McEnany
https://youtu.be/rx9w4FeQBZc

Say what you want about Anna Navarro, she's a smart woman who makes consistant arguments. These two? Wow.

Also acceptable: Corey Lewandowski (gently caress you CNN)

Boon fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 3, 2016

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
petition started by Karen Bass, CA37 congressperson: https://www.change.org/p/diagnosetrump

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
CNN has been just getting a ton of letters saying Biff Yeager is their favorite Star Trek actor. All from the same zip code!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tweet chain from Jeb's FP advisor on Trump's nuclear policy Read bottom to top.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

emdash posted:

petition started by Karen Bass, CA37 congressperson: https://www.change.org/p/diagnosetrump

Good luck.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

So this is like the equivalent of standing outside Trump Tower and shouting "BOY HOWDY IT SURE WOULD BE NICE IF MISTER TRUMP JUST DROPPED OUT, HUH?"

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

big boi posted:

Good luck.

oh, no doubt it's a stunt, but it's pretty funny

e:
https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/760837350582738944

fuckin lol

emdash fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 3, 2016

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide

This has been my nightmare from the get-go. IF Don dropped out, I feel like the bland republican they would get to replace him would have the base so loving excited that they would come out in droves.

Hilary only doing okay because the only real alternative is Don.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

What would happen if someone like Paul Ryan. Not Paul Ryan specifically because he's a giant pussy but a high ranking republican came out and said they were voting for Hillary? Would there be any consequence besides them getting primaried?

Hilary would use their statement in attack ads against down ticket Republicans across the country. Especially any who endorsed Trump at any point in time, including Paul Ryan.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I wish Twitter would ban Trump because lmao that would be the best meltdown ever

The meltdown from Clinton's campaign would be just as big. Trump's twitter activity is a gift from God for them.

• Locked thread