Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Where I live there's national news - including news from Scotland - and local news.

Is this not the case in Scotland itself now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

keep punching joe posted:

The Scottish Six is not about making the news more parochial, it's about making the news more relevant. The BBC has failed to come to terms with devolution and reports on issues that are wholly English as if they are UK wide. Other than for us to point and laugh, what's the point in the national news reporting on junior doctors contracts and a-level results?

Now the Scottish Parliament can raise taxes, and Westminster now has EVEL. Things have diverged substantially in the space of a couple of years, and will in all likelihood diverge even further. Having a Scotland centred national news broadcast is sensible and right.

Scotland 20whatever was pretty poo poo and I'm glad it's dead. It's quite hilarious that on a shoestring budget STV can provide better daily political coverage than the state funded broadcaster.

How does having an extra 30 minutes from BBC Glasgow have any impact on the quality of news coverage? Quality is more important than quantity.

Pissflaps posted:

Where I live there's national news - including news from Scotland - and local news.

Is this not the case in Scotland itself now?

We get the same BBC News at 6pm until 6:30pm as you get down south. We then get Reporting Scotland from 6:30 until 7. The people who want a Scottish Six want all our main evening news broadcast, from 6 until 7, to be from Scotland. And yet we're assured this won't end up being parochial.

Anyone who has ever watched Reporting Scotland knows they regularly struggle for content, so the idea of an entire hour, even with Westminster/rUK & international reports, it stretches credibility.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Is the idea not that a Scottish Six would still report on (for example) the latest UK-wide economic meltdown, but with more of a focus on how it would affect people in Scotland and without 15 minutes of Tarquin from Surrey moaning about how this means he might have to sell one of his summer houses?

Or am i being too hopeful here?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

forkboy84 posted:

How does having an extra 30 minutes from BBC Glasgow have any impact on the quality of news coverage? Quality is more important than quantity.

We get the same BBC News at 6pm until 6:30pm as you get down south. We then get Reporting Scotland from 6:30 until 7. The people who want a Scottish Six want all our main evening news broadcast, from 6 until 7, to be from Scotland. And yet we're assured this won't end up being parochial.

Anyone who has ever watched Reporting Scotland knows they regularly struggle for content, so the idea of an entire hour, even with Westminster/rUK & international reports, it stretches credibility.

Reporting Scotland struggles for content because all it reports on are murders, and some rather shallow coverage of Holyrood. I'd hope that with a wider scope and much higher budget they could do something more comprehensive. The BBC in London would still exist and the hypothetical Scottish Six would have access to correspondents and video features that they can slot in amongst their own content.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Reporting Scotland struggles for content because all it reports on are murders, and some rather shallow coverage of Holyrood. I'd hope that with a wider scope and much higher budget they could do something more comprehensive. The BBC in London would still exist and the hypothetical Scottish Six would have access to correspondents and video features that they can slot in amongst their own content.

That's all predicated on this idea that it'll get magically better. And it won't. A Scottish Six answers none of the criticisms of BBC Scotland's coverage which you get from the usual suspects, who all seem to support the Scottish Six. BBC Scotland need to prove they can do a half hour, a good 10 minutes of which is usually chatting about the Old Firm and whatever spurious made up transfer rumour is doing the rounds today (while occasionally touching on the rest of Scottish sport, unless Andy Murray is playing), before getting responsibility for an entire hour long news broadcast.

It's so weird to me that people think this will be a magic pill to fix everything they think is wrong about BBC Scotland's news output. I just don't see it, at all.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It's just a nationalist thing. "It's Scottish so it's better".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They could perhaps ease that difficulty by inserting extra Rs into the word "murder". Make each one go a little bit further.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Today's scottish newspaper headlines courtesy of STV

quote:

Here are the stories making headlines in Scotland on Thursday August 4.

The Daily Record report Rangers were "surprised" to learn their new home kit will go on sale on Thursday despite a dispute over rights to the club's badge.

http://twitter.com/Daily_Record/status/760969796146036736/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

While The Scotsman leads with the  surfaces of Scotland's motorways which are in worse condition and deteriorating faster than other roads, according to public spending watchdogs.

http://twitter.com/TheScotsman/status/760955695764209664/photo/1

Dundee FC could be forced to move from their home at Dens Park because of a £1.2m land deal at Camperdown, reports The Courier.

http://twitter.com/C_rmcconachie/status/760951132613148672/photo/1

The Scottish Sun lead with a Pokemon fan who was struck with a bottle by a gang who pulled up beside her in a car playing the theme tune.

http://twitter.com/ScottishSun/status/760982890670882818/photo/1

BBC bosses ordered a River City star to delete online posts criticising the broadcaster over its indyref coverage, it has emerged in The National.

http://twitter.com/ScotNational/status/760940858531348480/photo/1

And The Press and Journal lead with a man's body recovered at a loch in Orkney following a major search for two missing fishermen.

http://twitter.com/pressjournal/status/760982639176257536/photo/1

The National really is beyond parody

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

They really are the newspaper for sad, bitter racist fucks, aren't they? "Och, I'd never have lost ma job on the telly if only Scotland had voted tae be free, but the English want tae oppress us!" Elaine C Smith was on the board of both YES Scotland and the Common Weal for two years, and as soon as she stepped down from that the Beeb gave her a new sitcom. If this loving idiot lost his job for his Indyref tweets it was for bringing his employer into disrepute, which is not a political matter.

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

Jedit posted:

They really are the newspaper for sad, bitter racist fucks, aren't they? "Och, I'd never have lost ma job on the telly if only Scotland had voted tae be free, but the English want tae oppress us!" Elaine C Smith was on the board of both YES Scotland and the Common Weal for two years, and as soon as she stepped down from that the Beeb gave her a new sitcom. If this loving idiot lost his job for his Indyref tweets it was for bringing his employer into disrepute, which is not a political matter.

Calm down, friend.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Jedit posted:

I was more meaning in the sense that it's basically social media-type Zoomer bingo: Twitter/IndyRef/BBC bias!!! The subheading is great as well "Pro-Yes actor was written out of the show months later," like it's straight up admitting the causal link is tenuous as hell. And to think (some) writers for the National are the ones pushing hard for Scottish Six when their idea of a major national news story, one more important than anything else that day, is "D-list actor says a thing (or maybe doesn't say a thing) on Twitter."

Even if we're being ridiculously charitable and saying the story is "about" freedom of speech it still falls apart: it's really not in any way unusual for employers to have a code of conduct around social media use, particularly around touchy subjects such as politics (and there's also the standard rule of "use your gumption"). I mean, yes there's the issue of the blur between personal/corporate/public statements, which could be an interesting topic in a different context, but that isn't what the National are trying to explore here.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Alertrelic posted:

Calm down, friend.

Stupidity angers me.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Jedit posted:

Stupidity angers me.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The fate of all sensible men who live where The National front pages can be viewed.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
This is going to upset some people

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

There are things that don't get reported that can be considered news worthy but don't show it out of either bias or thinking it's not worth much.

Like was there any mention of the surveillance bullshit councils were doing that the ferret dug up in the media?

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

I agree, that lighting is hideous

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Pissflaps posted:

You might think he's doing a forced smile but that flag is really loving heavy and he is using every bit of his strength to keep it up.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
One fisherman dies, hopes fade for second.

I mean, I don't like fishermen much but I don't think i'd hope for them to drown or something....

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Sion posted:

One fisherman dies, hopes fade for second.

I mean, I don't like fishermen much but I don't think i'd hope for them to drown or something....

They voted for Brexit.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

Jedit posted:

They voted for Brexit.

And now one has already left Britain.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm happy for our Andy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Extreme0 posted:

And now one has already left Britain.

It wasn't a creek, but he was without a paddle.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Extreme0 posted:

There are things that don't get reported that can be considered news worthy but don't show it out of either bias or thinking it's not worth much.

Like was there any mention of the surveillance bullshit councils were doing that the ferret dug up in the media?

In all honesty I'm not sure there was a huge amount to that story besides "councils look at facebook for things like anti-social behaviour and their policies regarding social media are a bit crap. Also recommendations are not always implemented." Granted, it's still far more newsworthy than most of the front page stories above, but it's fairly barrel-scraping. I really want to like The Ferret, because the idea behind it is great, but they seem to be trying far too hard to spin every story as some sensational expose of deep rooted corruption, even when, at most, it covers minor incompetence or misunderstanding. Their coverage of charities being involved with workfare does a similar thing. It doesn't help that their reporting is flat out wrong: "one of those named, Govanhill Baths Community Trust, denied it had participated in the scheme," when what they actually said was the much more politician-y "never to our knowledge [have we] engaged in workfare programmes.” But the story runs as "Charities DENY involvement but THE FERRET reveals THE TRUTH." Bearing in mind that the Govanhill Baths Community Trust is a small organisation with 1 whole charity shop to its name (and it doesn't even have that any more), that they might not be au fait with the technicalities of workfare - especially if they haven't been told their "volunteer" is on workfare - is hardly surprising, or indicative of a stink in the soul of society.

I'm also annoyed because I like Peter Geoghegan and don't want him writing crap articles.

Niric fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Aug 4, 2016

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

Finally there's a UK citizen brave enough to acknowledge that the country is ruled under admiralty law, and that they exist as a freeman of the land!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Extreme0 posted:

You might think he's doing a forced smile but that flag is really loving heavy and he is using every bit of his strength to keep it up.

He always looks like that when he smiles, he's a good tennisman but he doesn't photograph well.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Relevant to the current discussion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edrBBphznfw

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Acaila posted:

Relevant to the current discussion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edrBBphznfw

I got about 45 seconds in before I could bear no more of the soulless husk muttering in a monotone about regional news programmes. How is it relevant?

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Jedit posted:

I got about 45 seconds in before I could bear no more of the soulless husk muttering in a monotone about regional news programmes. How is it relevant?

It's a funny and clever poem playing with the ideas (and words) bound up with the common news presenter phrase "and now for the news where you are." You don't have to completely agree with its politics to appreciate its combination of verbal playfulness and political polemic

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Jedit posted:

While you were off, some of us started classing up ScotPol with some culture.

Speaking of, who is up for late August Edinburgh goon meet and hopefully grabbing some free Fringe comedy?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Niric posted:

It's a funny and clever poem
Pass

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Acaila posted:

Speaking of, who is up for late August Edinburgh goon meet and hopefully grabbing some free Fringe comedy?

Not me I'm afraid, I'll be at the Discworld Convention.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Jedit posted:

Not me I'm afraid, I'll be at the Discworld Convention.

Speaking of, would you recommend reading the last couple? Haven't read Pratchett in ages and really like the series, but wasn't keen on Snuff and not sure I fancy reading anything less good than that (both for literary and :( reasons)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Niric posted:

Speaking of, would you recommend reading the last couple? Haven't read Pratchett in ages and really like the series, but wasn't keen on Snuff and not sure I fancy reading anything less good than that (both for literary and :( reasons)

Absolutely read The Shepherd's Crown. I enjoyed Raising Steam enough, but it wasn't one of the greats.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Newspaper front pages from STV

quote:

Here are the stories making headlines in Scotland on Friday August 5.

The Daily Record reports a former soldier murdered his estranged wife and left her mutilated body in a house with their two young children.

http://twitter.com/Daily_Record/status/761430985456091136/photo/1

While The Scottish Sun leads with masked intruders who tried to break in to Wayne Rooney's £6m home while he was playing in his testimonial match.

http://twitter.com/ScottishSun/status/761340924827955205/photo/1

The north east edition of The Press and Journal reports a pensioner has died after suffering for more than ten years with a debilitating deformed leg.

http://twitter.com/pressjournal/status/761347446781927424/photo/1

The Scotsman reports on plummeting interest rates, as well as Andy Murray flying the Team GB flag at the Olympic Games opening ceremony in Rio.

http://twitter.com/TheScotsman/status/761320446700716036/photo/1

Similarly, The Herald reports on the Bank of England's reveal of the lowest interest rates in history.

http://twitter.com/heraldscotland/status/761327256945975296/photo/1

The Scottish Daily Mail lead with the son of a Scottish aristocrat who has been charged in Kenya with trafficking nearly 100kg of cocaine.

http://twitter.com/JohnCooper633/status/761330791397912576/photo/1

Scottish Labour leader Kezia Dugdale has sparked anger inside her own party for disappearing to the US at a time of momentous political events back home, reports The National.

http://twitter.com/ScotNational/status/761305788396736513/photo/1

And The Courier features Dundee FC manager Paul Hartley who has praised the club's owners after a £1.2m land deal at Dens Park.

http://twitter.com/C_RMacCallum/status/761330906040791040/photo/1

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I'll be sad if Dundee no longer has two football stadiums on the same street.

The story in the P&J about people playing Pokemon Go at the Piper Alpha memorial is quite funny though. In a dark sort of way.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

I'll be sad if Dundee no longer has two football stadiums on the same street.

The story in the P&J about people playing Pokemon Go at the Piper Alpha memorial is quite funny though. In a dark sort of way.

It seems Pokestops get put at places where lots of people pass by. Practically every memorial anywhere is going to get one.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Jedit posted:

Absolutely read The Shepherd's Crown. I enjoyed Raising Steam enough, but it wasn't one of the greats.

I'd agree on Shepherds Crown, I think the fact that the Tiffany Aching books had a very slightly different tone anyway helps, and there are so many moving bits in it (I cried a ton and that's pretty unusual for me).

I really really struggled with Raising Steam though. Snuff was the Vimes one in the country? I'd say Raising Steam was on a par or possibly a bit less good than that. Obviously it's completely understandable why.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Not sure how Kezia's been missing, she's had a lot of opinion pieces in the grauniad's uk/scotland section here in the AU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Ok, so current meet-plan

Saturday 20th August
Edinburgh
Itinerary:
???? Some form of hanging out and chatting somewhere?
Then going to see The Dark Room at 20:30

Currently in:
Acaila
Autonomous Monster
Budgie
Angepain
IceAgeComing

Who else wants to come hang out with the cool kids?

Acaila fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 8, 2016