Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

You either despise star ratings or you worship them. Where do i stand? i'll say this: "Dave" (real name David) Meltzer's Gimmick smells like a 5 star turd from the human bung

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Cavauro posted:

You either despise star ratings or you worship them

or you think they are ok

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

never thought of it like that

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
People angrily tweeting Dave that he didn't give Undertaker/HBK ***** is the good poo poo.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I've never seen a Dave rating that wasn't relatively on the money.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

NienNunb posted:

The one that springs to mind is when he gave **1/2 to the diabolical intercontinental championship elimination chamber last year.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

NilkNarf posted:

I'm really not getting Enzo and Cass. Is there a match or feud they were involved with during their NXT run that put them over big with you guys?

Beep boop

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm angry he didn't give Jinder vs. Heath *****.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Everyone is better off paying no attention to star ratings, they're stupid and mean nothing, like W/L records in wrestling.

You've just described every rating system or review of anything ever. However, some of them are fun to read and think about. Well that's my hot take on the issue of the day, give it some thought, I'll hang up and read.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

TL posted:

What are some of the most satisfying instances of a heel getting their comeuppance? I've always been fond of the Mountie losing the Jailhouse match to Big Bossman. There's a series of vignettes of the Mountie being booked and fingerprinted and getting his mugshot, and he's screaming bloody murder the whole time, and it's hilarious and great.

- JBL getting chumped out at WrestleMania 25 after months of trying to solidify himself as something more than just a joke (to the point of trying to literally own another man), standing traumatized in the ring to the sound of jeers, screaming "I QUIT!" then realizing what he just said and walking off.

- Undertaker sending Edge to Hell after their lengthy feud.

- Even though her freakout seemed a bit out of character, Catrina's house of cards crumbling during Aztec Warfare II is really great.

- From Chikara, Oleg the Usurper turning on his abusive manager Sidney Bakabella and hitting his finisher (Off With His Head) so hard that Bakabella's toupee went flying off. Bakabella's lifeless body remained near the edge of the ring as the main event finished up and after the show, fans lined up to take selfies with it.

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger
Meltzer gave Punk v. Cena at MITB 5 stars because of the atmosphere, even though it was sloppy as gently caress, and they had better matches with each other before and after that match.

So what I'm saying is that the star rating system isn't something to be taken so seriously

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

NienNunb posted:

Regal/Arn from Superbrawl '94!!! gently caress Shave Seltzer!!!

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Meltzer rates matches in context and atmosphere and there's no denying that the MITB match between Cena/Punk had the best Atmosphere in a WWE match in a long time. RVD/Cena was a similar affair too even if it wasn't the greatest match.

But what most people forget is that match snowflakes are subjective and not fact. People are dumb and just because Meltzer is the undisputed best authority on whether a match is great or not, does not mean you have to agree with him on everything.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
A funny thing about Meltzer ratings is that if you went purely by them, you'd think some guys from the 80s were terrible wrestlers because he only rated their PPV matches with bad guys or bad booking. The best case I can think of is Jake Roberts.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

I always maintain that punk vs cena mitb is 5 stars if you were there in the moment. Watching it now never seems to hold up and as rightly pointed out they've had far better matches since. Star ratings are useful to sort of see if somethings worth checking out but generally everyone's opinion on what a 5 star match will differ.

Basically use them as they are a guide to what is good wrestling.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Cavauro posted:

Hello folks, is there a promo that will help me "get" Lance Storm?

https://mobile.twitter.com/lancestorm/status/376823017860366336

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Halloween Jack posted:

A funny thing about Meltzer ratings is that if you went purely by them, you'd think some guys from the 80s were terrible wrestlers because he only rated their PPV matches with bad guys or bad booking. The best case I can think of is Jake Roberts.

And you'd mostly be right

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

https://youtu.be/cTQ381fGLRo

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Shawn Cotureier posted:

Meltzer gave Punk v. Cena at MITB 5 stars because of the atmosphere, even though it was sloppy as gently caress, and they had better matches with each other before and after that match.

So what I'm saying is that the star rating system isn't something to be taken so seriously

They're nice little reference guide, like if you want to go back and watch a classic match involving Wrestler X you can just look for their four star+ stuff and you'll rarely go wrong. That they get taken as more than that is, I think, where things get awry.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Speaking of Arn/Regal, does anyone have any good examples of matches that felt like they were dropped in from another promotion? I just re-watched Greg Valentine / Ronnie Garvin from the 1990 Rumble (an awesome loving match that Shave inexplicably gave ** to), and it really seems like someone dropped a stiff southern blood feud into a bright, shiny WWF arena for some reason. Only real concession to WWF-style logic at the time was how Garvin's shinguard somehow completely negated a figure-4.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Gavok posted:

- From Chikara, Oleg the Usurper turning on his abusive manager Sidney Bakabella and hitting his finisher (Off With His Head) so hard that Bakabella's toupee went flying off. Bakabella's lifeless body remained near the edge of the ring as the main event finished up and after the show, fans lined up to take selfies with it.

I still regret not taking up Max Smashmaster's offer to sell the toupee. I could've owned a piece of history.

Plus, it'd help keep my big bald head warm in the winter time.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
So a friend of mine mentioned an ECW show that was booked to where the ending of the first match played into how the second started, and thus the third, etc for the entire show. I know there are about 400 episodes of ECW TV to look through and I'm not where to start looking for that one. Would anyone in the thread be able to point me in at least a general direction of what timeframe/year to start looking?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I hate libraries too, Lance

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

ShadowedFlames posted:

So a friend of mine mentioned an ECW show that was booked to where the ending of the first match played into how the second started, and thus the third, etc for the entire show. I know there are about 400 episodes of ECW TV to look through and I'm not where to start looking for that one. Would anyone in the thread be able to point me in at least a general direction of what timeframe/year to start looking?

That sounds like the show where Dreamer finally beat Raven, got attacked by Sabu/RVD/Lawler, which led to Taz coming out for the save, Sabu vs. Taz, which led into Taz vs. Shane Douglas. Summer of '97 would be that timeframe, I don't recall the show name off the top of my head.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

NienNunb posted:

I hate libraries too, Lance

That's because you're not allowed less than 500 feet from children.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

C. Everett Koop posted:

That sounds like the show where Dreamer finally beat Raven, got attacked by Sabu/RVD/Lawler, which led to Taz coming out for the save, Sabu vs. Taz, which led into Taz vs. Shane Douglas. Summer of '97 would be that timeframe, I don't recall the show name off the top of my head.

Your answer + Google leads me to Wrestlepalooza '97. Thank you; I've found my entertainment for the evening! :bubblewoop:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Alain Post posted:

Speaking of Arn/Regal, does anyone have any good examples of matches that felt like they were dropped in from another promotion? I just re-watched Greg Valentine / Ronnie Garvin from the 1990 Rumble (an awesome loving match that Shave inexplicably gave ** to), and it really seems like someone dropped a stiff southern blood feud into a bright, shiny WWF arena for some reason. Only real concession to WWF-style logic at the time was how Garvin's shinguard somehow completely negated a figure-4.

That's why I like late 80s early 90s WCW where you get that weird mix of great old school workers and cartoon wrestling.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

There were the Lucha matches at Rumble 1996 and a couple of Raws around then, and the Michinoku Pro matches at ECW shows and Canadian Stampede: In Your House and stuff, but those were less "feeling like a different promotion" and more "actually a different promotion", I guess. The NXT guys (and alumni) having indie matches on WWE shows might count too?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
what is with WWEs obsession with 3-man commentary teams? Byron Saxton and David Otunga are at the best of times useless echo chambers and that's only if they actually say anything. As far as I can tell, Byron is there so Corey Graves and Kevin Owens can make fun of him.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I always found it odd that the guys who finally put the nail in Demolitions coffin in the WWF were Genichiro Tenryu and I think Koji Kitao? Tenryu was also in one of the Rumbles.

OOh, watch the Glamour Girls vs. The Jumping Bomb Angels at what I think is the first Royal Rumble. Amazing match that was ridiculously different to the rest of the show.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 3, 2016

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Matt saying "shrubbery" is the best thing lmao

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Alain Post posted:

Speaking of Arn/Regal, does anyone have any good examples of matches that felt like they were dropped in from another promotion?

Nailz wrestled Giant Gonzalez at a NJPW event in '94.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Alain Post posted:

This is still one of my favorite matches ever. The first wrestling tape I ever had was Rumble 1990, and this match blew 9-year old me's mind.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

C. Everett Koop posted:

I think that's Hardcore TV 217, which Heyman said was the best episode on a Network interview with Styles. June 16 1997

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MrBling posted:

what is with WWEs obsession with 3-man commentary teams? Byron Saxton and David Otunga are at the best of times useless echo chambers and that's only if they actually say anything. As far as I can tell, Byron is there so Corey Graves and Kevin Owens can make fun of him.

They basically serve the purpose of Mike Tenay in WCW with less experience and unintentional racism.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I have found it.

The dumbest bump in wrestling history.

:nws: :nms: just plain bad. Don't watch this if you're squeamish, pregnant, under the age of 18, maybe under 40, of sound mind and body, and have hope for the future of the human race.

That being said, you've been warned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPk4hEmBxrU

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

C. Everett Koop posted:

I have found it.

:nws: :nms: just plain bad. Don't watch this if you're squeamish, pregnant, under the age of 18, maybe under 40, of sound mind and body, and have hope for the future of the human race.

And I thought the spot at 8:40 was bad...holy gently caress.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Jesus Christ, you can see the blades slide out of his flesh when he rolls away. Those aren't superficial wounds. Who are these people?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 4, 2016

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

C. Everett Koop posted:

:nws: :nms: just plain bad.

:barf:

There is no possible way these people are paid enough money to put themselves through this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

C. Everett Koop posted:

I have found it.

gonna not click just going by the screenshot